• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Perhaps the fictional situation is a window into the attitudes to a similar situation in real life?

It doesn't follow logically that if one derides a fictional character experiencing fictional events that one would do the same to a real character experiencing such events in reality. Have you never laughed at a person being killed in a movie? Have you seen "Piranha"? Does this indicate that you would laugh at a person being eaten alive in reality?

Peter smile

Go on, choose an example that's waaay off to the extreme.

I'm not saying that every situation and every feeling that people express for what happens in a film is likely to be expressed in real life. I wouldn't want to go and have a ringside seat at any of the concentration camps of WWII, but I did go and watch Schindler's List.

What I am saying is that, in certain situations, people's own values and experiences will be reflected in their response to fictional situations, fictional situations that are not popcorn fiction such as Piranha.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Perhaps the fictional situation is a window into the attitudes to a similar situation in real life?

It doesn't follow logically that if one derides a fictional character experiencing fictional events that one would do the same to a real character experiencing such events in reality. Have you never laughed at a person being killed in a movie? Have you seen "Piranha"? Does this indicate that you would laugh at a person being eaten alive in reality?

Peter smile

Well there are films where human life is represented as being valuable, and films where it is not. I can find the killing of a peasant in PAN'S LABYRINTH offensive, because he is represented as the innocent in us. I can find the deaths in PIRAHNA funny, because it is a disproportionate punishment for people who represent the worst in us. (A film like Liam Neeson's TAKEN is harder to place, because on the one hand, I could understand Parisians being offended by the caricature of what they and their city stand for. On the other hand, a group of stupid criminals stand in the path of a steamroller and dare it not to run them over, so there's some humour for me when he does -- again and again and again -- over the course of the film.)

Honestly, your statement precludes the power of fiction to arouse emotion. If fiction didn't arouse emotion, it would not exist. But with it's power comes the power to offend. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watching the 1961 version of Mysterious Island at the moment. Good to hear Bernard Herrmann's score in the movie.

Do you have any idea where this was filmed Alan? Obviously I'm talking about the location photography, it's just that the Island looks the same as that used for 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

I know that Lanzarote and Tenerife were used for One Million Years BC.

IMDb lists the filming locations for Mysterious Island as:

Benidorm, Alicante, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain

Costa Brava, Girona, Cataluña, Spain

Sa Conca Beach, S'Agaró, Castell-Paltja d'Aro, Girona, Cataluña, Spain

Listings for The 7th Voyage of Sinbad are:

Caves of Arta, Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain

The Alhambra Palace, Granada, Granada, Andalucía, Spain

Manzanares el Real, Madrid, Spain

Sa Conca Beach, S'Agaró, Castell-Paltja d'Aro, Girona, Cataluña, Spain

Torrent de Parais, Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain

Thanks Alan, that makes sense doesn't it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I assume that places like Benidorm and Mallorca hadn't been identified as package holiday destinations that early? I'm not sure when the package holiday phenomenon began.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    How anyone can feel offended on behalf of someone fictional (i.e. non-existant) I'll probably never understand.

Peter smile

You have completely missed the point. I don't care about Claire or Lost. What I'm trying to figure out is why D would call a suffering mother a "bitch." If this had happened in "reality" would D have the same reaction?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I assume that places like Benidorm and Mallorca hadn't been identified as package holiday destinations that early? I'm not sure when the package holiday phenomenon began.

An old friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us used to love telling people his travel stories, he travelled all around Europe in the early 1950's and said that he came across a lovely idylic beach with only one small shack for people to rent a bed.

And the name of that place?

Benidorm wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Peter smile

I agree with Peter. If I always reacted on real life situations in the same manner I do on fictional events in films, games, whatnot... I probably would've been killed multiple times already by lots and lots of angry people that hate my guts.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    How anyone can feel offended on behalf of someone fictional (i.e. non-existant) I'll probably never understand.

Peter smile

You have completely missed the point. I don't care about Claire or Lost. What I'm trying to figure out is why D would call a suffering mother a "bitch."

What suffering mother? There is no suffering mother. Again you seem to behave as if the show depicts reality. Do I have to remind you again that Lost is a piece of fiction and that the characters don't really exist?

Erik Woods wrote
    If this had happened in "reality" would D have the same reaction?

-Erik-

There's no reason to think he would. Just like there's no reason to think that anyone who enjoyed "Aliens" would enjoy being stranded on such a planet.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Peter smile

Well there are films where human life is represented as being valuable, and films where it is not. I can find the killing of a peasant in PAN'S LABYRINTH offensive, because he is represented as the innocent in us. I can find the deaths in PIRAHNA funny, because it is a disproportionate punishment for people who represent the worst in us. (A film like Liam Neeson's TAKEN is harder to place, because on the one hand, I could understand Parisians being offended by the caricature of what they and their city stand for. On the other hand, a group of stupid criminals stand in the path of a steamroller and dare it not to run them over, so there's some humour for me when he does -- again and again and again -- over the course of the film.)

Honestly, your statement precludes the power of fiction to arouse emotion. If fiction didn't arouse emotion, it would not exist. But with it's power comes the power to offend. smile

That's a valid point. But sometimes people will have reactions contrary to the goal of the director. If a movie is intended as sad and realistic but the director does a poor job or the actors are poor, then there's the risk that people will be taken out of the alternative reality the movie is trying to create, and this can result in reactions that the director didn't intend. In the case currently discussed that's exactly the issue, due to the poor job of the actress. She ends up being annoying and she ruins the experience for people due to not doing her job as well as was needed for the scenes to work and have an emotional impact.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    What suffering mother? There is no suffering mother.

Did you even watch the show?

plindboe wrote
    Again you seem to behave as if the show depicts reality. Do I have to remind you again that Lost is a piece of fiction and that the characters don't really exist?

Don't go down this path with me, Peter. You are treating me like I'm retarded and I don't appreciate it.

I'm done with this. Peter, you obvious don't get my point. This will be the last time I speak of this. This is like trying to have a conversation with my 20 month old daughter but in her case she'd understand what I'm saying.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Peter smile

Go on, choose an example that's waaay off to the extreme.

What? I thought it was a good example illustrating the fact that people's reactions towards fictional events is often very different from reactions to the events if real.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    What I am saying is that, in certain situations, people's own values and experiences will be reflected in their response to fictional situations, fictional situations that are not popcorn fiction such as Piranha.

They can, but not necessarily. It depends on alot of things, first and foremost on how well the movie does its job of creating an alternate reality. If the movie/show fails, responses won't be in line with how the responses would be if the events were real. When an actor/actress does a poor job, it can really be grating.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    What suffering mother? There is no suffering mother.

Did you even watch the show?

But she doesn't exist. You are upset because someone derided a person who doesn't exist.

plindboe wrote
    Don't go down this path with me, Peter. You are treating me like I'm retarded and I don't appreciate it.

When you call people disgusting I'd think you should be able to handle some heat yourself.

We've made our points though and still don't agree, so indeed there's no reason for us to continue.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    But she doesn't exist. You are upset because someone derided a person who doesn't exist.

What I'm upset about is that someone called a suffering mother a bitch!!!!!!!!! I would really like to know WHY D called her a bitch?

Here is what you wrote

"Not as annoying as Claire constantly screaming "My baby!!!". That chick had hysterical fits in half of her scenes, and the worst thing is that she wasn't really a good actor when she was playing highly emotional scenes."

D's response.

"Yeah, you're right Claire is more annoying ! Already forgot about that bitch."

Now, she might be annoying but that doesn't make her a bitch! So, what I want to know is if this was real suffering mother screaming "my baby" then would he have called her a bitch as well?

plindboe wrote
    When you call people disgusting I'd think you should be able to handle some heat yourself.

I'm handling the heat and have read your posts but it seems like you refuse to read what I have to say or acknowledge that fact that in numerous posts above I have stated that I KNOW LOST AND IT'S CHARACTERS AREN'T REAL! So take that out of your thought process.

crazy

plindboe wrote
    We've made our points though and still don't agree, so indeed there's no reason for us to continue.

NO! I MUST HAVE THE LAST WORD! wink

Sure. I'm just still trying to figure out D's motivation more so then have an argument with you.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    What I'm upset about is that someone called a suffering mother a bitch!!!!!!!!! I would really like to know WHY D called her a bitch?

He didn't call a suffering mother a bitch because the suffering mother doesn't exist. You get offended when I point out that it's fiction, but you constantly make statements as if it isn't fiction. Look, I know that you are aware of the fact that it's fiction. But that's why I find it so confusing when you write statements as if it's real and act as if an actual person has been derided.

I think you and I just have very different outlooks on fiction, and that's why we're having troubles communicating. Some of the others seem to agree with you so perhaps they'll be able to explain it to me in a way that makes sense to me.

Erik Woods wrote
    NO! I MUST HAVE THE LAST WORD! wink

Hehe, sorry. Feel free to post again and I'll try not to respond. wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    He didn't call a suffering mother a bitch because the suffering mother doesn't exist.

It doesn't matter. It's the context. Whether it is real or not this sort of stuff actually does happened in the real world. There are REAL mothers who go into hysterics over a lost child. What Lost was trying to depict was how a mother would (and have) reacted if there baby was stolen from them. So why is a screaming, hysterical actor, acting like a real mother, screaming over her lost child a bitch?

That's the best I can do. My head hurts. Time to listen to some soothing music OR maybe Slipstream! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Had the actress been better your reaction would have made more sense to me. If a performance is convincing then the scenes could have been highly affecting. But a lesser actor not only destroys the illusion of the movie but can be annoying because as a viewer you don't want to be pulled out of the illusion. Your brain stops being fooled into thinking that the events are happening and you start thinking "sigh, there she goes again". It's not because of a lack of respect for a real event like that, or of real mothers, it's a lack of respect of a performance that fails so much that it's too unlike the real events and real mothers to deserve your respect. It's a bit like deriding a poor Elvis impersonator isn't the same as deriding Elvis himself. Personally I'd say that the poor impersonator is showing greater disrespect towards Elvis than the person who derided the impersonator for not being convincing enough.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Now that makes sense. Personally, I didn't have an issue with Claire. Actually, now that I think of it I wasn't convinced with the evil Claire in season 6. That took me out of a lot of the final episodes.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Glad we agree.

Indeed, evil Claire wasn't a success either. It's not that she was a terrible actress, but she had one of the most difficult roles in the show. There probably aren't many actresses in the world who can pull that role off.

Peter smile
  6. plindboe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Peter smile

That's a valid point. But sometimes people will have reactions contrary to the goal of the director.
    Peter smile

This is bigger than a director though. You are wondering why we feel things when we know -- at heart -- we are not being presented with reality. Our willingness to pretend these things are real, for emotional involvement, is one of the great mysteries of human behaviour. But the empathy is there -- why else would we have to be always reminded when young (and even when grown up) - 'it's just a story'? Because it feels like more when you're in the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    This is bigger than a director though. You are wondering why we feel things when we know -- at heart -- we are not being presented with reality. Our willingness to pretend these things are real, for emotional involvement, is one of the great mysteries of human behaviour. But the empathy is there -- why else would we have to be always reminded when young (and even when grown up) - 'it's just a story'? Because it feels like more when you're in the story.

But the point is that it doesn't always feel like more. You sound like you've never seen a film before that failed at its purpose. Have you never seen a bad actor before whose performance made you feel differently than what you were intended to feel and what you wanted to feel? You can be as willing as you want, but depending on the quality of the movie and its participants it's not always possible to convince yourself that the onscreen events are more than actors reading from a script.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011
    *sigh*

D said "bitch" because he meant to say something negative.
    It's not much more complicated than that.

I refer to my earlier post concerning meaning and context for native and non-native speakers.
    I'm betting a native speaker would never have said bitch, because its significance, meaning and impact in English is a significantly different one than a mere "something negative".

That said, a native speaker might conceivably have referred to her as an annoying cunt or somesuch.
    I wouldn't have agreed either, but at least the utterance would have been linguistically and contextually congruent to build a discussion on.
    Not so here.

Now then. As you were, gentlemen.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. plindboe wrote

But the point is that it doesn't always feel like more. You sound like you've never seen a film before that failed at its purpose.

You wondered why some of us were acting like an insult to a character in a drama was meaningful. What I've written above is in response to that point. wink

On the other hand, if you wanted to ask me whether I was able to susp
  8. that last post won't seem to come through completely -- oh well, it doesn't matter. i don't like LOST anyway. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    plindboe wrote

But the point is that it doesn't always feel like more. You sound like you've never seen a film before that failed at its purpose.

You wondered why some of us were acting like an insult to a character in a drama was meaningful. What I've written above is in response to that point. wink

I understand. And I'm just trying to explain the fact that just because other people don't have the same emotional reactions to a movie as you do it doesn't necessarily make them bad people, incapable of normal human emotion. There could be other movies where I cry my eyes out and you go "meh". It's mostly about how convincing the movie will appear to the individual, and we don't all judge movies the same way.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011
    I watched Doomed To Die a 1940 Monogram mystery with Karloff in the role of James Wong Oriental detective.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/d … -die-1940/

I can think of a better way to spend an hour even though it is available in public domain for free.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011
    Life on Mars.
  9. Watched Monsters yesterday. Definitely not a monsters flick but a good character-driven story with aliens in the background - mostly.

Nice slow pace too. A good way to pass 90 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    Mr Wong, Detective. This was an early Monogram film that was meant to compete with Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto, and Sherlock Holmes with Boris Karloff in the starring role. How can an English actor be an Oriental sleuth. He went to school at Oxford.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    Oh well Tom, remember that Christopher Lee played Fu Manchu in a few movies wink