• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011
    You both disgust me!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, you're right Claire is more annoying ! Already forgot about that bitch biggrin

Really? Bitch? Was that necessary, D? slant

-Erik-

Yeah, i really hated her my friend. Sorry if i insulted any parental feelings down there ( wink wink wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Also, now that you mentioned Claire......... biggrin

Have you seen this Peter? I laugh my ass of everytime. Now, i'll get my coat and my sorry cat-loving ass out of here kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not funny. Not even after all of the winks and all that. Do you call your girlfriend or your mother a bitch? I know that Claire is a fictitious character but you call her a bitch because she cares for her child? There's just some language around here that shouldn't be allowed.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, love it, D.

Erik, stop being silly.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not being silly! I'm being dead serious. If that's the way you feel about a mother and her child then I don't want to be associated with you guys. SERIOUSLY!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm obviously more willing to let it go but I have to say I agree with Erik, I really don't like the use of that word in that context.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Lost is not real, Erik. It's fictional. Making derogatory terms about a fictional character portrayed by a bad actress should offend no one.

I just watched Ricky Gervais "Out of England" stand-up comedy and he makes jokes about pedophilia, necrophilia and even children with AIDS. Then I get online and see someone get his panties in a twist over someone using the b-word over a fictional character. The contrast is funny, and yes "silly" is the perfect word for such hysterical behaviour.

Personally I think anything is allowed in humour. Some people don't. Their problem.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Trivia Corner: Gladiator was my first DVD purchase. Was amazed at the picture quality that DVD brought to the home. I don't think that I have watched it since.

You were amazed with how the DVD looked? Imagine my face when I watched the latest blu-ray release.

It was a little like:
    omg

It's like watching a film in a totally different way!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I know Lost isn't real... do you think I'm that stupid... but calling a mother (fictional or not) in hysterics over a lost child A BITCH is not cool. Why else would you guys call her a bitch? It's NOT funny! There was no attempt at humor when D called her a bitch! It was uncalled for and utterly disgusting!

Look, I love dark, black and racy humor but what was said above was something I can't defend.

Timmer wrote
    I'm obviously more willing to let it go but I have to say I agree with Erik, I really don't like the use of that word in that context.

Thank you, Timmer!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    I know Lost isn't real... do you think I'm that stupid... but calling a mother (fictional or not) in hysterics over a lost child A BITCH is not cool. Why else would you guys call her a bitch? It's NOT funny! There was no attempt at humor when D called her a bitch! It was uncalled for and utterly disgusting!

Look, I love dark, black and racy humor but what was said above was something I can't defend.

Perhaps I have you wrong, but I get the feeling that you as many others believe that there must be real misogyny involved when certain words like "bitch" and "cunt" are used. Perhaps that explains your reaction. I can understand, in the sense that it really changes a dark joke from being funny to offensive as soon as you realize that there is seriousness hiding behind the joke, for instance if dark humour is based on real racism or misogyny. At that point dark humour is no longer funny, but it's painful to behold.

Personally I have nothing against women. I grew up with an assertive mother, and as a result as an adult I don't understand misogyny at all, and I consider the two genders 100% equal. I really don't get why anyone would consider a gender less than the other.

So if I agree with someone using the word "bitch", it's as innocent as agreeing with someone using the word "idiot". There's no misogyny hidden behind my agreement, but it's all meant as good-natured humour about something fictional.

I got emotionally involved with Lost, and I'd understand completely if a mother (or father) would become hysterical by having their child kidnapped in real life, and of course I'd never call them any bad names because of it. But I'm not that emotionally involved with the show that I can't step out of it and see that it's just actors following a manuscript, which means that I will react to the events very differently that I would react to the events if they were real. I view it as a show one can make fun of without consequences precisely because it is a show. Perhaps you are more emotionally involved with the show than me because I find it mysterious to see you say that it's uncalled for to insult one of the characters.

Peter smile
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Will Ridley ever make another Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise or Gladiator?

Robin Hood is one of those films where I will have to force myself to watch it. Interest is pretty much at zero level.

I quite liked it, from a technical point of view and for the bond between Cate Blanchett and Russel Crowe. But I said it from the beginning, I miss the characters, the passion and the emotion from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and naturally the score of the late Michael Kamen.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, i really hated her my friend. Sorry if i insulted any parental feelings down there ( wink wink wink )

I liked the Claire character.
    But although I disapprove of what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say bitch.

Even if it isn't particularly funny or warranted.

That said, I seem to notice a bit of a trend (not specifically here, but throughout, in real life): I hear many non-native speakers throw about the most heinous, insulting, horrid epiteths and swear words that seem completely incongruous to the situation at hand.

Dutchies as an example seem to have a bit ofa tendency to use the word "fucking" in any given conversation in English more than Al Pacino did in Scarface (which is fucking impressive). When questioned, the offender seems to have little inkling of what he said, which leads me to conjecture that these words (analogous to D's "bitch") are used far more as an expression of increased emphasis (sometimes without any negative connotation at all, even!) than any particular strong feelings about anything.

It's an interesting dynamic to behold, when you see a room full of native speakers grow cold due to -what is perceived as - a completely unwarranted rant by a non-native speaker. Leads to interesting (and regretfully complicated) dynamics.

Anyway.
    Thus endeth the sociological contemplation of the day. Cunt. Fuck.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    That said, I seem to notice a bit of a trend (not specifically here, but throughout, in real life): I hear many non-native speakers throw about the most heinous, insulting, horrid epiteths and swear words that seem completely incongruous to the situation at hand.

Dutchies as an example seem to have a bit ofa tendency to use the word "fucking" in any given conversation in English more than Al Pacino did in Scarface (which is fucking impressive). When questioned, the offender seems to have little inkling of what he said, which leads me to conjecture that these words (analogous to D's "bitch") are used far more as an expression of increased emphasis (sometimes without any negative connotation at all, even!) than any particular strong feelings about anything.

It's an interesting dynamic to behold, when you see a room full of native speakers grow cold due to -what is perceived as - a completely unwarranted rant by a non-native speaker. Leads to interesting (and regretfully complicated) dynamics.

Anyway.

I'm a european and I hardly ever use the so-called bad words. Not because I have a problem with them and feel like I need to get a PC-temper tantrum whenever I encounter them, but rather because I think they lose their power when used to often.

Peter smile
  2. I didn't think ROBIN HOOD was that bad. I mean the whole 'Batman Begins' approach is a bit silly, but when I cast my mind back to... most of the previous films of Robin Hood... they didn't have to do much to fight on the same ground. (Except Flynn-Curtiz, of course. Though I remember Korngold even thought that was beneath him at the time.)

As to whole bitch thing, I think Martijn is right. I don't think you can expect non-native English speakers to fully appreciate the full import of what they say when they use English. (Just so everyone knows though, Erik has a point, it has a shade of misogyny to it here.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Last night I watched Ridley Scott's ROBIN HOOD

oh dear oh dear oh dear, this film is just so damn bad and I don't mean good bad, just bad bad.

WHY did Russell Crowe speak in a ( very bad ) "Oirish" accent?

WHY were most of the main characters Irish?

WHY did the French have WW II style D-Day landing craft?

WHY did Ridley Scott make this ( curiously bloodless? ) film?

WHY did I watch this version which was 16 minutes longer than the cinema release?

.....I could go on rolleyes slant

The GOOD...

...erm??? About half of the score was okay and then that bane of modern film scoring showed up, the wailing middle Eastern women giving it large in medieval England vomit

I can't think of anything else good to say except that I'll never watch it again.

For some strange reason your review made me want to watch the movie. I don't know why. I guess there's truth to the statement that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Peter smile
  3. plindboe wrote
    Martijn wrote

Anyway.

I'm a european and I hardly ever use the so-called bad words. Not because I have a problem with them and feel like I need to get a PC-temper tantrum whenever I encounter them, but rather because I think they lose their power when used to often.

Peter smile

Take it from us Belgians (well the flemish side anyway, because we don't watch dubbed movies) we've been exposed to years and years of english swear words in films, and we've heard them so often by now, they're just like normal vocabulary. I remember my father being totally put off by all the swearing in Alien 3 back in the 90s, yet when he saw the film again on blu-ray recently, he never made any remark about all the 'fucks'. But I do admit when its used a bit too much, such as it often is in real gritty crime movies it can become a bit annoying when all they do is swear.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Take it from us Belgians (well the flemish side anyway, because we don't watch dubbed movies) we've been exposed to years and years of english swear words in films, and we've heard them so often by now, they're just like normal vocabulary. I remember my father being totally put off by all the swearing in Alien 3 back in the 90s, yet when he saw the film again on blu-ray recently, he never made any remark about all the 'fucks'. But I do admit when its used a bit too much, such as it often is in real gritty crime movies it can become a bit annoying when all they do is swear.

Indeed, it's funny how language change over time. In 50 years time the word "fuck" will be regarded about as offensive as the word "cupcake". Of course at that time new shock words will have been invented, and old people (i.e. us) will sit around on our porches and complain about how fucking rude young people are and how shitty their language has become.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Last night I watched Ridley Scott's ROBIN HOOD

oh dear oh dear oh dear, this film is just so damn bad and I don't mean good bad, just bad bad.

WHY did Russell Crowe speak in a ( very bad ) "Oirish" accent?

WHY were most of the main characters Irish?

WHY did the French have WW II style D-Day landing craft?

WHY did Ridley Scott make this ( curiously bloodless? ) film?

WHY did I watch this version which was 16 minutes longer than the cinema release?

.....I could go on rolleyes slant

The GOOD...

...erm??? About half of the score was okay and then that bane of modern film scoring showed up, the wailing middle Eastern women giving it large in medieval England vomit

I can't think of anything else good to say except that I'll never watch it again.

For some strange reason your review made me want to watch the movie. I don't know why. I guess there's truth to the statement that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Peter smile

Trust me, it's a bore-fest.....but if you insist on watching it dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Look, I have no problem with swearing, curse words, etc. It was the context in which D used the word bitch that I'm completely against. Guys, I'm not trying to censor this board in any manner I just don't appreciate the "bitch" remark (which was not written in a humorous fashion) especially towards suffering mothers... fiction or non-fiction. And this has nothing to do with my love or dislike of Lost. I could give two shits about the show and its characters. I have absolutely no emotional attachment to the series (minus that superb first season and Giacchino great music) whatsoever.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Woah, this is truly something outside my waters. I am not even going to comment it further but i'll rather let it die. At times i thank God i live in financially God-forsaken Greece and not anywhere, you know, more Western wink I'm off for the Easter holidays guys, take care. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    D, this has nothing to do with "more western". It's just a different perception/weight of the word. Something like that happens on international forums. We shouldn't and I think Erik has made it clear before he is far from the cliché I think you talk about. smile

Have a great holiday btw! Cyprus?
    Kazoo
  4. Watching the 1961 version of Mysterious Island at the moment. Good to hear Bernard Herrmann's score in the movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Look, I have no problem with swearing, curse words, etc. It was the context in which D used the word bitch that I'm completely against. Guys, I'm not trying to censor this board in any manner I just don't appreciate the "bitch" remark (which was not written in a humorous fashion) especially towards suffering mothers... fiction or non-fiction. And this has nothing to do with my love or dislike of Lost. I could give two shits about the show and its characters. I have absolutely no emotional attachment to the series (minus that superb first season and Giacchino great music) whatsoever.

-Erik-

How anyone can feel offended on behalf of someone fictional (i.e. non-existant) I'll probably never understand.

Peter smile
  5. Perhaps the fictional situation is a window into the attitudes to a similar situation in real life?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Perhaps the fictional situation is a window into the attitudes to a similar situation in real life?

It doesn't follow logically that if one derides a fictional character experiencing fictional events that one would do the same to a real character experiencing such events in reality. Have you never laughed at a person being killed in a movie? Have you seen "Piranha"? Does this indicate that you would laugh at a person being eaten alive in reality?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DreamTheater wrote
    sdtom wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Will Ridley ever make another Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise or Gladiator?

Robin Hood is one of those films where I will have to force myself to watch it. Interest is pretty much at zero level.

I've managed to avoid this Hollywood crap.

What crap? The 4 films I posted? Because they're anything BUT crap. They're all pretty much sublime.

Talking about Robin Hood my friend. I enjoyed watching Alien, Blade Runner and Thelma & Louise. Gladiator I'm neutral on. I'll stick to the Errol Flynn version from the 30's for Robin Hood which has an excellent score from Korngold.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watching the 1961 version of Mysterious Island at the moment. Good to hear Bernard Herrmann's score in the movie.

Do you have any idea where this was filmed Alan? Obviously I'm talking about the location photography, it's just that the Island looks the same as that used for 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

I know that Lanzarote and Tenerife were used for One Million Years BC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm glad I've never seen the show. Other than the score which is good I've no time for stuff like that. The use of the language in films is not called for. I don't talk like that and the people I know don't either.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watching the 1961 version of Mysterious Island at the moment. Good to hear Bernard Herrmann's score in the movie.

Do you have any idea where this was filmed Alan? Obviously I'm talking about the location photography, it's just that the Island looks the same as that used for 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

I know that Lanzarote and Tenerife were used for One Million Years BC.

IMDb lists the filming locations for Mysterious Island as:

Benidorm, Alicante, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain

Costa Brava, Girona, Cataluña, Spain

Sa Conca Beach, S'Agaró, Castell-Paltja d'Aro, Girona, Cataluña, Spain

Listings for The 7th Voyage of Sinbad are:

Caves of Arta, Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain

The Alhambra Palace, Granada, Granada, Andalucía, Spain

Manzanares el Real, Madrid, Spain

Sa Conca Beach, S'Agaró, Castell-Paltja d'Aro, Girona, Cataluña, Spain

Torrent de Parais, Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain