• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Piranha (2010)

Appalling. Yet somehow magnificent.

I saw this on DVD, I felt you could tell which bits were 3D, particularly the pneumatic Kelly Brook and her equally pneumatic underwater partner lick

cool <-- 3D glasses!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011
    THE WAR OF THE WORLDS

The classic George Pal film, i've seen it umpteen times and I'll probably see it another umpteen times, by comparison I've seen the Spielberg film twice, Pal's film is lighyears better and is in my all time top 10 sci-fi films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Way way way way way way WAYYYYYYYYYY better.
    (And the '78 version is pretty darn good!)

One of the better 'B' movies ever made
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A good old fashion dose of Perry Mason last night. The doublecrossing female was Patricia Barry.
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Timmer wrote
    THE WAR OF THE WORLDS

The classic George Pal film, i've seen it umpteen times and I'll probably see it another umpteen times, by comparison I've seen the Spielberg film twice, Pal's film is lighyears better and is in my all time top 10 sci-fi films.

Funnily enough I was just listening to Leith Stevens' score for this. Stevens' scores are ones that I have difficulty connecting with. But his music scores such towering films that they are definitely worth persevering with!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Settling down in front of the TV at the moment watching the BBC Proms on BBC2. Up later is Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky cantata.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Awakenings

Moving film. You can tell it's going to be moving very early on - when Robin Williams appears and he has a beard. Is the story really true? I guess so - it seems extraordinary if so. Randy Newman's score is outstanding and I think one of film music's great missed opportunities is that he barely got to work on any serious films after he started doing Pixar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011
    Did anyone see The Brothers Grimm? Is it worth watching?

Just looking for movies we can see in our weeks off. The weather is perfect for movies and do things like buying BESTA at IKEA and clean up the house!!

We saw the Bourne movies this week. I hadn't seen those yet! And so I ended up with Matt Damon's CV in the IMDB.

We also think the kids are ready for Star Wars. Wanted to try the LOTR as well but after seeing Robin Hood (2010) this week they said they couldn't follow the story so I said, well, the LOTR is even more complicated and at least 9 hours long... We'll just be patient.

We're watching Indiana Jones too. It's fun that they're old enough (well... almost old enough) to see a lot of fun movies. I'm very flexibel with the rating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote

Oeh, to see with the kids? Y'know, it really is a Terry Gilliam film, which means a lot of black humor, elements of original fairy tale stories in all their gruesomeness (a child being eaten by a horse, and all) and overall a rather dark tone. Nonetheless, it is a rather fun film which looks at times incredibly beautiful (pretty much in tone with, say, The Efteling) and if you forgive the film's shortcomings (shoddy CGI, confused story) it's a lot of fun. Especially if you're into the classic sense of fairytales. So if you're that easy with the ratings, I'd say, go ahead.

If you all enjoyed the Indiana Jones films with the family, I'd also suggest The Mummy films. Y'know, mainly part 1, be careful with part 2, avoid part 3. I know we all watched part 1 as a family (years ago, with mother and sisters), and we all loved it. And Pirates of the Caribbean, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks for your reply Bob. And sorry for the confusion: I'm looking both for movies to see with the kids as well as just for ourselves.
    smile

But I take from your reply that it's worth watching. It sounds interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    If you all enjoyed the Indiana Jones films with the family, I'd also suggest The Mummy films. Y'know, mainly part 1, be careful with part 2, avoid part 3. I know we all watched part 1 as a family (years ago, with mother and sisters), and we all loved it. And Pirates of the Caribbean, of course.

The Mummy is a good idea. Is part 3 that bad?

I really enjoyed Prince of Persia too by the way. We saw that one without the kids.

Haven't seen Pirates yet, because Maykel is a bit allergic to the Johnny Depp-character.
    Perhaps we can give it another try!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote

To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen part 3 yet. It's just that I hated the trailer, lamented the absence of Rachel Weisz, didn't care for the music, and have no interest in seeing an Asian touch. Also, bad reviews and no positive experience with the director in the past (apart from DragonHeart) didn't help. I prefer my memories of this series to be positive.

Bregje wrote
    I really enjoyed Prince of Persia too by the way. We saw that one without the kids.

Ah, then you really must see Pirates!

Bregje wrote
    Haven't seen Pirates yet, because Maykel is a bit allergic to the Johnny Depp-character.
    Perhaps we can give it another try!

Owh... Nothing serious, I hope? Went to see a doctor? Y'know, sometimes you need to walk through a haystack to get cured from hay-fever. The films are really a lot of fun, especially the first 2, before it got all confusedy in the end. Besides, y'know, Badelt did the first film. Isn't it secretly some kind of jealousy of your hubby towards him?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    Bregje wrote

It's rather bad. The first film had some great humour. I didn't laugh once in third one. It had lost all the charm of the prior movies, and it's simply not the same without Rachel Weisz. I love the music though.

My ratings:
    The mummy: 7 out of 10
    The mummy returns: 6 out of 10
    The mummy: tomb etc.: 3 out of 10

That said, I'm sure the third mummy is a movie most kids would enjoy as it has plenty of action and adventure. It's the intelligent and witty writing plus a decent plot that's missing, and these are elements more noticable by the adults.

Peter smile
  4. Southall wrote
    Awakenings

Moving film. You can tell it's going to be moving very early on - when Robin Williams appears and he has a beard. Is the story really true? I guess so - it seems extraordinary if so. Randy Newman's score is outstanding and I think one of film music's great missed opportunities is that he barely got to work on any serious films after he started doing Pixar.

That is an excellent film. Really outstanding. Very interesting (true!) story, impecably acted, very touching and though-provoking. I need to get my hands on that score.

bregje wrote

Yes, and no, respectively. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Do check out the original Pirates of the Carribean film. Don't bother with the next two.

The Mummy is a lot of fun, but only the first one.

Here are some brief thoughts on other films that I've seen in the last couple years...

How to Train Your Dragon - Excellent family movie. Great fun throughout. Dreamworks best yet.
    Inception - Very original, fiendishly complicated, though I thought it was easy to follow (maybe your kids won't)
    Tangled - Disney finally doing what they used to do best.
    Source Code - other very original idea, well acted action/thriller with a sci-fi twist. The less you know about this one going in the better
    The Fantastic Mr. Fox - Weird in the very best way. Great characters and funny. I can see why some would find it too odd.
    Knight and Day - funny action comedy with Tom Cruise's tounge firmly in cheek. (I know others really didn't like this, but I found it very enjoyable, albeit with a week ending)
    R.E.D. - funny action film with a dynamite cast.

You may have already seen all of those, but if not you might give some a try.
  5. I quite enjoyed the look of The Brothers Grimm - and the music. But that is not a particularly glowiing comment of the film itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thought The Brothers Grimm was the poorest Gilliam yet.
    No sense of direction, menace, fun, intrigue, story....
    The idea is fascinating enough, it just comes off muddled and confusing.
    At the end I thought it was too dark for a children's movie, too uninvolving for an adult one.
    Worst of both worlds. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. The film is terrible. I've seen only 10 minutes, but they were the last 10 minutes, and no amount of excellent buildup would have made it forgiveable.

My brothers loves it, finds it hilarious. I don't understand.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Hmm, this makes me even more curious! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I thought The Brothers Grimm was the poorest Gilliam yet.
    No sense of direction, menace, fun, intrigue, story....
    The idea is fascinating enough, it just comes off muddled and confusing.
    At the end I thought it was too dark for a children's movie, too uninvolving for an adult one.
    Worst of both worlds. slant

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Howabout WATERSHIP DOWN, that film has scarred the minds of adults and children alike for decades now.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Howabout WATERSHIP DOWN, that film has scarred the minds of adults and children alike for decades now.

And that's just from the famous song!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    applause biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I quite like the song, though I prefer the less "pop" version as heard in the film.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    THE WAR OF THE WORLDS

Funnily enough I was just listening to Leith Stevens' score for this. Stevens' scores are ones that I have difficulty connecting with. But his music scores such towering films that they are definitely worth persevering with!

The release I was listening has an alternate take of the main title music. This alternate take does not have the off-kilter rhythmic timpani (as heard in the film version) playing throughout and sounds more like a romantic melodrama!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011 edited
    I'm afraid I can't listen to anything on my computer at the moment, it's on borrowed time until it's fixed.

I think it could break down any moment. If I suddenly disappear for a week that'll be the reason....or Alien abduction, eaten by rabid goldfish, carried away by giants wasps.......
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    My ratings:
    The mummy: 7 out of 10
    The mummy returns: 6 out of 10
    The mummy: tomb etc.: 3 out of 10

Hmm. I thought the first one was excellent as an Indiana Jones-ish humorous adventure film (in fact much better than the most recent Indy film) but the second one seemed to lose everything that made the first one good, exacerbate the worst features and I hated, hated, hated it from start to finish. The third one was not as bad, but not exactly good.

The Mummy: 7.5/10
    The Mummy Returns: 0/10
    The Mummy 3: 3/10
  9. The Mummy: 8 out of 10 (what James said, old fashioned adventure movie with a loveable cast)
    The Mummy Returns: 7 out of 10 (totally out of control, but the cast recreates the fun of the first one, plus what a score)
    The Mummy 3: 6 out of 10 (fun for a watch but barely memorable, Bello is just not Evy and Jet Li getting his ass whooped by Brendan Fraser is something that will never happen)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    Captain America
    I was going to say this movie did not do it for me but then I remembered that I can´t expect another Dark Knight in every comic based film....
    The film is very predictable, story filled of the same cliches and yes, the villain is one of the worst portrayed in any recent comic-based film.
    C
    Robinson
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah but just imagine if 1960's Batman & Robin took on Kato and The Green Hornet, Robin played by Burt Ward would fight Kato played by BRUCE LEE to a stanstill.

....oh, hang on a sec...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Robinson wrote
    Captain America
    I was going to say this movie did not do it for me but then I remembered that I can´t expect another Dark Knight in every comic based film....
    The film is very predictable, story filled of the same cliches and yes, the villain is one of the worst portrayed in any recent comic-based film.
    C

Hmmmm? Well, I'll be seeing this myself tomorrow, we'll see if our views match?

oh, and Hi Robinson wave Long time no see, hope everything is well in your life.