• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Saw THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING again, it has only been the tenth time or so...

on stunning blu-ray picture and sound, my god this really is the only way to experience films of this kind. punk

And I don't know what anyone else is saying that the image quality of the theatrical cut is below par, but it looks fine to me! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011 edited
    HUGO (Martin Scorsese, 2011)
    Just saw the work in progress print of this new Scorsese picture at the New York Film Festival, being the very first audience to see it. Introduced by the man himself, no less (I genuinely freaked out when he entered the stage - it had been kept a secret that it would be his film up until then!). He stressed that the picture we were about to see was not yet finished - it wasn't color corrected, there'd be some green screen (didn't see it though), the 3D wasn't completed yet (though we did see it in 3D, there were clearly several errors yet) and some effects shots weren't finalized (about 20% needed work done).

The score was the original score by Howard Shore, but as they're still recording, it wasn't all completed. Some of the score was done with 'temp instruments', as he called it, but it gave a very good impression of what the score will be like. What is the most remarkable, is the fact this is the most developed score of a Scorsese picture yet - it's a full, rich score and plays over nearly 90% of the film. Next to this, only 2 classical pieces are used, Danse Macabre by Camille Saint Saens, and Gnossiene, by Satie.

And those that are hoping for another good Shore score that's not in his old, Cronenberg style... Well, this is it. Making heavy use of the French accordion, piano and a touch of guitar (reminding faintly of The Departed, if any), this score is playful, passionate and though the themes don't stick out to remember, they are present (for several characters, and for loss), but it's mainly the mood that sticks. Can't wait to hear this with full orchestra, as intended.

As for the film - man, this is something different for Scorsese. Although ultimately a love letter to the history and start of cinema, its generally a family film. And yes, that includes slapstick and sappy ending. And a character named Georges Melies. That's right, the French director. And yes, many of this will go over the heads of the young members of the audience, making Hugo quite a tough sell. Still, the mood is gorgeous, the views of Paris spectacular, Sacha Baron Cohen is on top form as the villain of the piece and I've enjoyed myself during the full 2 hours.
  2. Just finished watching season 7 of the U.S. version of "The Office." I really enjoyed the entire season and it recaptured the magic and laughs from the first three to four seasons. The writers did a great job of working Michael Scott out of the series...still think the show won't be as good without him (haven't caught any of the new episodes yet).
  3. BobdH wrote
    HUGO (Martin Scorsese, 2011)

Sweet review! Thanks. I'm really looking forward to hearing the score. The film I'm still hesitant about, but I'll probably give it a chance.

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    season 7 of the U.S. version of "The Office."

I tuned in to Steve Carrel's last episode after not watching any of the office since probably season 3. I thought it was great! I never thought they would be able to pull of an emotionally satisfying end to that character, but they really did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Just finished watching season 7 of the U.S. version of "The Office." I really enjoyed the entire season and it recaptured the magic and laughs from the first three to four seasons. The writers did a great job of working Michael Scott out of the series...still think the show won't be as good without him (haven't caught any of the new episodes yet).

I've tried but can't really fall for the american version. I found the english version better and more realistic. Still, nothing I can become a huge fan of.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I really enjoyed the American version, which, after a bumpy start, really came into its own with some very good and original storylines.
    Of course it rather helped that Pam (the receptionist) is SO incredibly adorable. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I agree.

Peter lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked
    Ook!
    :ogle:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011 edited
    THE TWO TOWERS, and I was in tears and awe, again.

Some of my favourite sequences and dialogue in film are in this trilogy.

I want to see Peter Jackson bring the same craftsmanship to 'The Hobbit'. I won't settle for less.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote

I want to see Peter Jackson bring the same craftsmanship to 'The Hobbit'. I won't settle for less.

I hope so, the cast look good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. DreamTheater wrote

I still can't believe those idiots didn't give this film an Oscar for the music. Boo hoo f""kers of the Oscar board
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011
    ^ Well, they changes the rules so it COULDN'T be nominated!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Well, they changes the rules so it COULDN'T be nominated!

-Erik-

and didn't they change it again so the third could be nominated?
  6. Yep, that's academy for ya.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011
    Just watched Transformers 3… I think? Something about a dark moon? Had robots in it!

I only figured it out until the end, but it was actually attempting to be movie! Who knew!? (Though to be fair I cheated and saw it IMDb.)

Still, Megan Fox 2.0 is crazy hot.
    Jesus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jesus was in Transformers 3... and... is hot?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011 edited
    LA PIEL QUE HABITO (Pedro Almodovar, 2011) ****

My favorite Almodovar, as far as I've seen. In weaving themes like loss, revenge and identity into a bizarre thriller, La Piel Que Habito is in a way his Vertigo. Which makes it only fitting Iglesias goes all Bernard Herrmann in his score, which works extremely well in the film. The film is also the Almodovar with the best structure (his films tend to derail quite a bit, if you ask me) featuring some great twists and unusual behavior by its characters, which finally will all fall into place. Well, kind of, you need to make some connections yourself. It is, though, a film that is wonderfully weird yet rooted in very human emotions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Hell yeah!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Hell yeah!

Jesus in disguise!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I spent the last couple nights watching the four films RKO put out on Dick Tracy. There all about an hour long and a lot of fun to watch.Boris Karloff appeared in one of them as Gruesome. Roy Webb did one of the scores and Paul Sawtell did two.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011 edited
    I just watched THE RETURN OF THE KING for the first time on blu-ray and while I think it's an excellent finish to the whole saga with all the same ingredients that are present in Fellowship and Towers, I don't love it as much as the first two instalments. For what it's worth the first two are perfect films IMO and I wouldn't change a thing. However, I have considerably less goosebumps while watching part 3. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's brilliantly made and every second I spend in Middle-Earth as envisioned by the makers is worth my time.

What is truly worth the investment of the trilogy though is the sound quality, but as I'm bit of a sound-freak when it comes to films, that is why it's so important to hear films of this kind in all their intended sonic awesomeness. To crank that baby up and feel the impact of the sound all around, not just hear it on tinny TV-speakers. And the sound is absolutely stunning. The low frequencies will effectively move your house by a few inches. cool

Ok I'll shut up now... smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011
    Thanks for the review. I waited ages for the extended editions to come out on blu ray and finally bought them. Funnily the only thing preventing me from watching them is my current amount of free time!
  7. Anthony wrote
    Thanks for the review. I waited ages for the extended editions to come out on blu ray and finally bought them. Funnily the only thing preventing me from watching them is my current amount of free time!

my brother didn't by the extended ones, he bought the original versions (which were already released some time ago on blu-ray)

on www.blu-ray.com you'll find that the extended versions on blu-ray seem to be much better than the ones already released (and which my brother bought)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011 edited
    Although the extended ones were (in the case of Fellowship, heavily) color corrected, so there's a big difference, not just in sharpness. It is done with supervision of Peter himself, though, stating he always wanted the film to have that look.
  8. BobdH wrote
    Although the extended ones were (in the case of Fellowship, heavily) color corrected, so there's a big difference, not just in sharpness. It is done with supervision of Peter himself, though, stating he always wanted the film to have that look.

I know, but my brother watched them and said it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. So I guess I will be fine with it, considering I don't prefer watching the extended versions anyway. The theatrical versions are fine by me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011 edited
    Watched Scream 4 last night

Boring!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You screamed?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    You screamed?

Blue murder no doubt!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011
    How To Train Your Dragon

Just saw this for the first time (perfect lazy Sunday film), and it's just lovely!
    I just adore the dragon's cat-like properties cat , and for all the animation film clichés, having some wonderfully animated and directed sequences (that first flight scene is a doozy!), a very likable cast of characters, a great supporting score and everything ending happily ever after makes this a most satisfying watch. Greatly enjoyed it!

(But why does Hollywood consider everything north from Los Angeles to be Scottish????)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011
    I think it's the closest Dreamworks have got to Pixar-like quality, and certainly their best film. (Kung Fu Panda being a relatively close second.) The montage scene with Hiccup and Toothless getting to know each other is a perfect marriage of music and film I think.

Strange that Pixar's new film looks like it could easily be a Dreamworks film.