• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    plindboe wrote
    I guess I'll have to see this now. *sigh

Peter slant

Yes, you do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    GAME OF THRONES = Fabulous! Both seasons! Stunning visual effects too!

Season 1 was magnificent. I felt that season 2 dragged on and on and on and on. It wasn't until the middle of the season did something actually happen. But the last two episodes (especially episode 9) were extraordinary and brought us back to the magnificence of the first season.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    Love Game of Thrones! I read the books first, and read a lot of character-heavy fantasy novels, so I wasn't put off by that, but I can see how it might be overwhelming! They're doing an excellent job with the adaptation.

Deadwood I wouldn't compare much to Lonesome Dove. I haven't seen LD in years, but I remember it being a fairly romanticised western. Deadwood is pretty raw and brutal...aiming for a more realistic portrayal (though really coming out the other side a bit). Really good stuff though, and far too short.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JoshL wrote
    Love Game of Thrones! I read the books first, and read a lot of character-heavy fantasy novels, so I wasn't put off by that, but I can see how it might be overwhelming! They're doing an excellent job with the adaptation.

Deadwood I wouldn't compare much to Lonesome Dove. I haven't seen LD in years, but I remember it being a fairly romanticised western. Deadwood is pretty raw and brutal...aiming for a more realistic portrayal (though really coming out the other side a bit). Really good stuff though, and far too short.

Spot on, and I was gutted knowing that there would not be a 4th season. I just loved the complexity of the characters ( well, more love/hate mostly ), the script, the story, the language, the filthy look of the place. I loved it and highly recommend it Thor, I'm sure that Martijn has given a better write-up on one of these viewing threads?

As for GAME OF THRONES, if I hadn't been tired last night I'd have watched a couple more episodes than I did, I had no problems keeping up with the multiple characters or lands ( probably due to a youth....and adulthood....spent reading fantasy novels and the like ), I can't wait to tuck into some more tonight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's easier to keep track of everyone in season 1 than it is in season 2.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I gave up halfway through season 1 of GOT, it got a bit too character focused and dialogue heavy for my tastes. It has a stunning look, but I didn't like most of the characters to keep me interested.

Erik Woods wrote
    It's easier to keep track of everyone in season 1 than it is in season 2.

-Erik-

If that's the case I'm never gonna watch the second season. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the characters are strong, well written, and very well acted. The issue I had with season 2 is that there's just too much to keep track of and the introductions of more characters doesn't help matters. There's far too many story lines going on at once to keep track of everything.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'll come back to you on that Thor, I'm tired after starting to watch GAME OF THRONES, just spent 3 hours watching the first three episodes back to back...........LOVE IT!

Yeah, I can understand how that can tire you. I've seen both seasons, and I was totally bewildered by all the characters and complex plots during the first few episodes. I don't know if you feel the same way, but it took a while getting used to. When you did, however, it's pure brilliance in every shot.

I was so bewildered after watching three episodes that I gave up on it. I quite regret that now!
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    Yeah, it's definitely a genre thing. When I first started reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, the friend that loaned them to me kept a flowchart to keep track of everything! That's one of the things that I appreciate about the Game of Thrones adaptation...it's absolutely true to the genre. Absolutely great if you love that sort of thing (and yeah, DreamTheater, definitely more focused on character and dialogue than action, though there are some great action scenes).
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I think the characters are strong, well written, and very well acted. The issue I had with season 2 is that there's just too much to keep track of and the introductions of more characters doesn't help matters. There's far too many story lines going on at once to keep track of everything.

-Erik-

It's more a problem for the series than it was for the book. The first series benefited from really only have 4 locations to move between, and the plot was really being driven in 1 (King's Landing).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012 edited
    WAR HORSE

All I have to say is... the final hour of this film is pure gold. Classic Spielberg of pulling on the heartstrings and delivering one brilliant sequence after another. And the final scene is pure poetry, it didn't have any dialogue, and it didn't need it, a perfect ending, beautifully shot. I didn't love War Horse until the great battle scene, but once that was unleashed I loved every second of it. Williams' score worked very well and he absolutely nailed a couple of the most memorable scenes, this is one of the more melodically consistent scores he has done in a long time, and one that works on album just as good as in the film.

If there's one thing where I think they fouled the ball is in the language spoken by the various characters. Why is that all of the invading Germans can speak flawless english but with accents? It didn't feel realistic at all, it felt like a war film from the 60s. rolleyes

8/10
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. JoshL wrote
    Yeah, it's definitely a genre thing. When I first started reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, the friend that loaned them to me kept a flowchart to keep track of everything! That's one of the things that I appreciate about the Game of Thrones adaptation...it's absolutely true to the genre. Absolutely great if you love that sort of thing (and yeah, DreamTheater, definitely more focused on character and dialogue than action, though there are some great action scenes).

I don't mind long character-based, dialogue-driven films or in this case TV shows, but here most of the characters were such a turn-off for me, I couldn't get into the intricacies of the plot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    WAR HORSE

All I have to say is... the final hour of this film is pure gold. Classic Spielberg of pulling on the heartstrings and delivering one brilliant sequence after another. And the final scene is pure poetry, it didn't have any dialogue, and it didn't need it, a perfect ending, beautifully shot. I didn't love War Horse until the great battle scene, but once that was unleashed I loved every second of it. Williams' score worked very well and he absolutely nailed a couple of the most memorable scenes, this is one of the more melodically consistent scores he has done in a long time, and one that works on album just as good as in the film.

If there's one thing where I think they fouled the ball is in the language spoken by the various characters. Why is that all of the invading Germans can speak flawless english but with accents? It didn't feel realistic at all, it felt like a war film from the 60s. rolleyes

8/10

The film is uneven, but when it's good, it's really good. Whenever he goes into Victor Fleming pastiche (like the ending you mention), it's brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I have to admit, I thought the movie was a bit lukewarm featuring scenes that didn't quite work or characters that felt a bit underused or misused. But as the battle scene started, all of a sudden Spielberg's magical touch rose to the foreground and made all of the scenes that came before it extremely worthwhile. All of it suddenly clicked.
  5. PROMETHEUS

Ridley Scott returns to the sci-fi universe he helped create, and boy does he deliver. I was sucked into the adventure from the word go, thanks to some wonderful casting choices, a well developed narrative, a creepy atmosphere and gorgeous visual effects. Finally we get to see where the legendary Space Jockey comes from. And where we as a species could originate from. I thought this movie had the right mix of delivering philosophical ideas and good old sci-fi entertainment, the way I like it, full of mystery, building tension, and clashing characters. Prometheus may not be as dark or scary as Alien, but it does blend with the whole universe in a good way. Looks like a new series is born. Give the sequel to James Cameron, and I'm sure I'll go completely crazy if that happens. Well I can dream, right? cheesy

8/10
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    PROMETHEUS

Ridley Scott returns to the sci-fi universe he helped create, and boy does he deliver. I was sucked into the adventure from the word go, thanks to some wonderful casting choices, a well developed narrative, a creepy atmosphere and gorgeous visual effects. Finally we get to see where the legendary Space Jockey comes from. And where we as a species could originate from. I thought this movie had the right mix of delivering philosophical ideas and good old sci-fi entertainment, the way I like it, full of mystery, building tension, and clashing characters. Prometheus may not be as dark or scary as Alien, but it does blend with the whole universe in a good way. Looks like a new series is born. Give the sequel to James Cameron, and I'm sure I'll go completely crazy if that happens. Well I can dream, right? cheesy

8/10

Well, it seems you've had an amazing film day. Good to see you enjoyed 2 movies you had high expectations of. smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
    Glad you liked it, Gilles. It's rare to see positive reviews of the film in fan forums. For me, the film was a 9/10.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Good sci-fi doesn't come around very often anymore, I'm just glad some directors know how to handle the genre properly. Now I have even more confidence for Blade Runner 2, even though I think that movie doesn't need a sequel, Ridley could definitely improve on the established universe.
  8. Two interesting prospectives on PROMETHEUS, one which has a fairly fair eye for the issues of execution:
    http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/p … -questions
    ... and another which is more into the interesting mythological resonances that the execution doesn't quite kill:
    http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1
    (Obviously there's a heap of spoilers, so please noone be an idiot and cry foul about it later.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I won't read any spoilers, since I'm yet to see the film. But the presence of Damon Lindelof spoils most things.
  9. I think you in particular will come out going -- 'Why are people so hard on MISSION TO MARS again?'
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    DreamTheater wrote
    Good sci-fi doesn't come around very often anymore, I'm just glad some directors know how to handle the genre properly. Now I have even more confidence for Blade Runner 2, even though I think that movie doesn't need a sequel, Ridley could definitely improve on the established universe.

Definitely agree, about the sequel not being needed. I'll go see it, but I'm more than a little wary. I am equally wary about the upcoming Ender's Game adaptation. Hoping to catch Prometheus this weekend, so maybe like you I'll be less wary. I'm not sure why Ridley Scott, after years of a "no sequel" philosophy is revisiting old films now.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012 edited
    JoshL wrote
    I'm not sure why Ridley Scott, after years of a "no sequel" philosophy is revisiting old films now.

Because he is sick and tired of boring remakes and crappy sequels disguised as reboots.

And so are we.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012 edited
    JoshL wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Good sci-fi doesn't come around very often anymore, I'm just glad some directors know how to handle the genre properly. Now I have even more confidence for Blade Runner 2, even though I think that movie doesn't need a sequel, Ridley could definitely improve on the established universe.

Definitely agree, about the sequel not being needed. I'll go see it, but I'm more than a little wary. I am equally wary about the upcoming Ender's Game adaptation. Hoping to catch Prometheus this weekend, so maybe like you I'll be less wary. I'm not sure why Ridley Scott, after years of a "no sequel" philosophy is revisiting old films now.

The cynic in me says it's money and success, in scott's case more success by revisting his most successful movies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012
    RV: Prometheus

First of, the film looks stunning.
    I love the design. Every bit of it. The almost-retro SciFi type feel of the control panels and hardware. The outfits. The set pieces. The CGI. It's honestly very, very good. Absolutely beautiful to behold. Including pretty much the best use of 3D yet (yes, I include Avatar)

I also like the direction Scott took on this. I think this is the way to do it when playing on your own original invention and revisiting it decades later: you take the very basic premise....but basically make a sharp left-hand turn, leaving the original material as it was, and not trying to recreate what you know fans won't like and won't forgive you for (paying attention, Uncle Lucas?).

I also like the almost Ourobouros-like way the Prometheus premise twists and turns upon itself to deliver a thripple whammy: [spoiler]And it's not so much Prometheus as it is Frankenstein: what you create will ulimately destroy you. It's not about being punished by the Gods, but about being God, and see creation turn against you: the Engineers creating Man. Man creating artificial man. Artificial man 'creating' Alien.

This, I think, also explains the never-so-subtle suggestion of 2001 at the very beginning: it's about genesis, and the amount of guidance we hope for and expect, and the accountability for what we do...and the suggestion that at the end, none of these considerations matter a damn!
    ...but I grant I may be overthinking what may just have been a small inside joke.
    [/spoiler]

What I thoroughly enjoyed was [spoiler]the turn-about of the Engineers.
    No benevolent, all-knowing but inherently good race, they. No Sir! It's Star Trek through the looking glass!
    Mean, vicious and violent with a penchant for biological warfare and genocide.
    At very best, they don't care. At worst, they're downright evil.
    Now THERE's something that I didn't expect!
    [/spoiler]

What I didn't like is that the plot is ...well, to be honest: pointless.
    [spoiler]The whole reason for going out there just makes no sense at all, storywise.
    So the engineers somehow changed their opinions about man, so they left clues for man to come and find them...because the engineers wanted to go back....and destroy man.
    Um.
    OK.
    Here's a strategic suggestion: How about then not leaving clues and just go back and burn the earth?
    What was the whole damn point of leaving the clues in the first place?
    As Tuco so rightly says in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: "if you gotta shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
    [/spoiler]

I'm hoping this will be satisfactorily explained in the two sequels I gather are planned, but then I seem to remember harbouring such hopes after Attack Of The Clones and The Matrix, so I'm not holding my breath. slant

I also have to agree with Franz' assessment: a lot of supposedly intelligent people are doing a lot of stupid things.
    To propel the story, fine....but at the expense of character involvement and credibility. Which is a shame.
    Other than David, the android, I really couldn't care less about any of the characters (although Charlize Theron in Ice Queen mode is....well....what can I say? I have a thing for that. love :whip: )

And something really minor that nevertheless really bugged me: for all the 3D technology, for all the CGI wizardry, apparently we're STILL unable to create prosthetic make-up that can make a young man look old.
    More embarassingly, there was no reason for Guy Pearce to spend the entire film in very poor make-up other then having been in the viral ad running up to the movie which was set 60 years earlier.
    That's it!
    That's the entire reason!
    Because he was in the viral ad!
    What a piss-poor decision!

Anyway, bit of a mixed bag all in all.

I did enjoy it.
    The direction and pace were, I think, very good (and Scott certainly seems to understand how to film and present 3D).
    But the back story and a lot of the in-story actions and decisions were flawed and unbelievable.

Streitenfeld's music was functional, I guess, but did not stand out.
    I'd be interested in hearing it on CD to glean a better understanding of its direction and function.
    In the film, I didn't feel it added much.

Film: 3.3 out of 5
    Music: 3 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012
    A very interesting review Martijn though I didn't read the spoilers, I will do after I've seen it this coming Tuesday.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012 edited
    Sci-fi for me is something to not over-think every little bit of info thrown at me, just enjoying the fantastical, the mystery and visiting the otherworldly, which has been my mindset since I was a little kid. I'm a sci-fi buff, but not to the point I want everything explained, analysed so you can see the flaws and plot holes in a script.

And it is a spectacular film, visually speaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012 edited
    Depends.
    I don't watch Mission To Mars, Solaris, Moon or 2001 in the same fashion I watch Serenity, Star Wars or Galaxy Quest.
    And I don't hold them to the same standards or expect the same pay-off.

To me it's clear that Prometheus isn't just to be taken at face value (the very title alone suggests levels of complexity and consideration that go beyond that. Whether or not those promises are validated is another matter altogether of course).

It seems to me Scott isn't in it for anything superficial: he presents a number of interesting, thoughtprovoking points.
    The risk in that, of course, is that people start asking complicated questions...

Notwithstanding the sumptuous visuals, Scott is evidently trying a thinking man's approach.
    Don't blame me for actually obliging him. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Jaws

One of my favourite films of all time, perfect in every way. I saw it projected at 4K on a massive screen and I noticed details I'd never seen before, this new restoration is a beauty! It just does not get any better than this!
  11. Looking forward to another classy remastering job of an old(ish) film. Never been a huge fan of Jaws myself, but the new transfer could do the trick. smile