• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yeah, I know. I just refered to the "like" part, but didn´t want to take it out of context.

OK, gotcha. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Basically done as an examlple.

The moral being don't be a shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    You spectacularly miss the point, Ralph.
    Sunil was not banned for getting "almost everything right".
    He was banned for exactly that part that YOU exclude as well in that statement.

What, for calling Erik a racist?

Bingo.

I can easily see how someone could come up with the idea that he is. "Uh, I´m not American. I´m Canadian!". Yeah. Sure. Or was that considered to be HUMOUR, too?

Ralph, with all due respect, but now you're just ranting.

1) Canada isn't a race. Nor is America.
    2) People (regulars and passersby alike) many times have refered to Erik as American, and he's always taken great delight in putting the record straight.
    3) Calling someone a racist is not my idea of a sense of humour. Nor, I would guess, is it yours.

I honestly don't see what your points have to do with anything here.

To ban Sunil for ONE misguided rant on someone who has treated him like shit for the past months WITHOUT ANYONE stepping in and stopping Erik, that is spectacularly wrong.

Again: I don't care about the context.
    It's on the same level as accusing someone of sexual atrocities or molesting children.
    I don't see anything wrong on my part for suggesting a moral boundary has been crossed thoroughly, and for taking the action I feel is appropriate.

I'm happy for people to discuss and debate that, and for people to hold and bring forth different view points on the severity and my (over?)reaction, but I consider this in no sense at all "wrong".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Without reiterating my previous points, I imposed the ban for one reason, and one reason only.
    I don't CARE about any kind of context, as little as when accusations of other 'hate crimes' of that magnitude had been leveled at anyone)

Well, you're the mod (along with the other guys), I'm not. I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yeah, I do get your point. Honestly I do.
    And I will be the first to admit that accusations like these press several very prominent buttons with me. Possibly more so than with the next guy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    mmmm....

I don't want to justify Sunil (because he was rude and innapropiate), But who called "Troll" to someone??
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    For a moment I though this thread was about LOST.

Anyway...

X: I like this score.

Y: I don't like it.

X: oh! Why not? it's great!

Y:because, I don't

X: Ok. I respect your opinion.

Y: I respect yours.

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....We are all humans (we are all dancers)

Let's put a little blood to this forum! I want to see (in a figurative way or in Videogames) a Racist killing a Troll! or a Troll killing a Racist! tongue
  1. It's been interesting to follow this discussion today from the remoteness of a work computer.

Everyone has their own opinions as to whether Sunil should or should not be banned for his comments but Martijn is a moderator of this forum and that has a level of responsibility associated with it. From the few times I have met Martijn I believe that I know that he will have thought this through before making a decision.

Although we can post our own opinions as to whether or not someone who makes such comments (without any attempt at retraction) should or should not be banned I believe that having made the decision we should accept and support this decision.

I've had one or two minor clashes with Erik over the years but (and I'm sure that Erik echoes this) there's always been a level of respect underpinning everything. Everyone has opinions. We may not agree with these opinions but that's no reason to take a vitriolic stance and make personal attacks. Reading the original comments from Sunil, to me, these were vitriolic comments that were really meant. I don't think that we need those types of comments on this board.

*All comments made after having a couple of glasses of Merlot. I'll review them later!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Just forget it. This is wrong in so many ways, but I´ve tried to tell you so many times I´m done now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Although we can post our own opinions as to whether or not someone who makes such comments (without any attempt at retraction) should or should not be banned I believe that having made the decision we should accept and support this decision.[/small]

No, Alan, I'm afraid I can't support it. I can ACCEPT it, but not support it.

Everyone agrees that what Sunil said is outrageously offensive. Some just don't think it was cause for immediate banishment without any form of last warning.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think we have already been clear to Sunil before this last incident, since tis was not the only one.
    Kazoo
  2. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Although we can post our own opinions as to whether or not someone who makes such comments (without any attempt at retraction) should or should not be banned I believe that having made the decision we should accept and support this decision.[/small]

No, Alan, I'm afraid I can't support it. I can ACCEPT it, but not support it.

Everyone agrees that what Sunil said is outrageously offensive. Some just don't think it was cause for immediate banishment without any form of last warning.

That's fine, Thor.

It was an offensive comment but I feel that, based upon my experience of Sunil's previous posts, that this was an insight into his true feelings and that any apology would not have been heartfelt and would have been "playing to the crowd." I could be wrong with this opinion but I can only form an opinion based upon what my experiences are based upon posts.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I come down with Thor and Ralph on this one. The irony is too intense. A somewhat strange Indian man with a short fuse who doesn't have an ear for Canadian sarcasm is called a troll, and probably not being aware of the slang internet English meaning of the word, responds with the call that Erik is a racist. In some places, that sequence of events would be greeted with a sense of humour. But here, where we love our eccentrics (or I thought we did), it's banning time.

Consider for a moment that behavior which we don't think of as racist might be perceived as racist, or be felt to mask racial prejudice. And also that being called a racist isn't quite the unspoken insult on the subcontinent that it is here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Consider for a moment that behavior which we don't think of as racist might be perceived as racist, or be felt to mask racial prejudice.

With respect, franz, I've heard that excuse way too often to be palatable any more. "They're mean to me, and as I'm not white, they must therefore be racist."
    It's a discussion stopper that denies any personal responsibility, and invalidates the other's opinion, not just once but for all time for "he is racist" and therefore "needs not be listened to anyway".

I don't hold with it, and I'll be damned if I accept it to mask blatantly self-serving and vicious behaviour like this.

And also that being called a racist isn't quite the unspoken insult on the subcontinent that it is here.

From direct and repeated personal experience I really have to disagree with you there.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    I agree. Sunil words are out of place but banning him for that seems to be a bit extreme. I always thought that Sunil and Nautilus were used has scapegoats around here and felt bad for what they had to endure. that being said, a personal apology is always good manners.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I can ACCEPT it, but not support it.

Completely fair.

And again: this was my call. If any of the other mods disagree with the reasons I gave then of course they could and should reverse my decision (and honestly: I won't feel slighted in the least).

But I stand by the baseline I've tried to explain, and won't be dissuaded of it.

<edited for pointless pedantry. Sometimes even I get annoyed. Not towards Thor, incidentally.>
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sunil,
    Get that e-mail off to Bregt so he can forward it to Erik. People that I know will respond to me in the following way. Are you going to let him live in your head rent free? Erik and I disagree on things and I've been known to be a bit sensitive from time to time with remarks made but. If the chips were down and I needed help you'd all stand in line waiting to give blood. You get my point.This is no big deal. A new friend from Minneapolis died suddenly yesterday. I'm debating if I should stay here in San Diego or return early to Minneapolis and attend the services. That is a big deal.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're a good man, Tom.
    And yes, you're right. That IS a big deal.
  4. In all seriousness, I'm no politically correct idiot. One of my first encounters with Sunil was to be labelled a racist by extension due to certain happenings in my country. But I think I know a misunderstanding when I see one, and I feel that's what we have here. But it is your call.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    In all seriousness, I'm no politically correct idiot.

I know, mate. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Jesus! I can't believe I missed all the fun! I mean in in the most ironic way possible.
    Seriously now. I've learn not to pay much attention to Sunil's overreactions towards things and to understand it in a way. The same way I've learned to take Erik's remarks with a pinch of salt. But anyway I've always felt that this thing we have here is about mutual respect of our diversity from all parts. "Troll" is a bad word but "racist"is an even worse one, a terrible one to my ears. So I will have to agree with Martijn but I will also have to say that it would be good to let somethings fall down, meaning not tease people like Sunil constantly since they don't always understand our (in general) humor.
    And on a final note: boys behave or I will have to grab a withsplash!

P.S. Tom my condolances on your friend's passing.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    In all seriousness, I'm no politically correct idiot. One of my first encounters with Sunil was to be labelled a racist by extension due to certain happenings in my country. But I think I know a misunderstanding when I see one, and I feel that's what we have here. But it is your call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6 … r_embedded
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    I will also have to say that it would be good to let somethings fall down, meaning not tease people like Sunil constantly since they don't always understand our (in general) humor.

Agreed.

It all comes down to giving and taking a little. Don't be a prick on the one hand, and don't take things too seriously on the other.
    There's many people of many different cultural and sociological backgrounds here, and some friction and misunderstandings are inevitable (as we've seen many times).
    At the best of times these were addressed in a mature and generally respectful manner, as they should be.

Yes, den mother... wink
  5. Stavroula wrote

Ooooooh booooooy, Stavroula with a whip. Me first. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, you are explaining things too much. LIFE HAS RULES, and they apply to everyone. A policeman doesn't exactly sit down, ask and discuss with everyone around him when he goes to arrest someone. He knows the rules, he has the responsibilities of doing it, he judges and proceeds, end and done.

People, you are talking about this out of the comfort of not being a mod. I know you're laughing for the policeman pun above, but seriously, being a mod, holds great responsibility and we are doing for this place to RUN PROPERLY. The fact that we are even DISCUSSING such things, shows that he was a problem to the board. We had (and still have) loonies in the past but nobody 'cause the slightest problem, rather the contrary. This has gone way out of hand. I am a mod and i know that it takes huge responsibility and not everything you do will be liked by everyone. But i also know that Martijn, out of all of us, is the most thoughtful and mature on these matters and i am very sure he has given it the greatest of responsible thought before proceeding to the action, and for that reason i stand behind him 100%.

Why is that? I think you people are taking this too softly, seriously. NOT LIKING ERIK is one thing, his style, the way he talks or anything, or his attitude, but NAME CALLING, AGGRESSIVE ADJECTIVES and the SO CONVENIENT RACIST LABEL is unacceptable (have you ever thought that most people who think everyone else is racist against them is calling it to themselves actually? Like some "oh maaai gaawd narmean" americans who think 24/7 that everyone is a terrorist watching them and preparing to blow them up. Plus what Erik said has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING RACIST ABOUT IT, IT'S JUST ERIK. WE CAN'T DAMN A MAN FOR HIS CHARACTER CAN WE? SUNIL SIMPLY WENT OVERBOARD AND WE AREN'T JUDGING HIS ATTITUDE, BUT HIS ACTIONS. IF SOMEONE COULD SERIOUSLY FIND SOMETHING "RACIST" IN ERIK'S BEHAVIOUR PLEASE PRESENT THE CLUES AND NOT TALK IN GENERAL TERMS.

As for Erik, DAMN, I even had a lot of disagreements with him in the past to the point of annoyance but HE NEVER INSULTED ME IN ANY WAY HOW MATTER HOW MUCH HE PISSED ME OFF. THIS, HOWEVER IS NOT ABOUT ME OR ANYONE NOT EXACTLY LIKING ERIK. IT'S NOT AT ALL ABOUT THAT. This is not us vs Erik, it's about LOGICAL ISSUES having to do with mature, civilized people interacting with other people in a healthy world. What SUNIL hinted in his behaviour in the past not only isn't healthy, but his today's actions are actually SICK.

IT'S NOT ALWAYS PLEASANT WHEN THINGS NEED TO BE TAKEN UNDER CONTROL BUT THAT'S THE WAY EVERY CIVILIZED SOCIETY WORKS. Now if you have any VALID arguments and not IDIOTIC ANGRY COMMENTS ON PERSONALS THAT DON'T CONCERN ANYONE ELSE BESIDE YOU, please forward them or let it go 'cause whether you like Erik or not, he's CONTRIBUTED SO MUCH MORE (and he still does) to both film music and our forum whilst SUNIL has contributed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and has only caused serious trouble, with the apex being the today's actions.

If you want to proceed with this one, drop the personal vendettas against ERIK and convince us WHY is SUNIL, AND ALL THIS IN ANY WAY IMPORTANT to our family here. Name ONE important factor that he has ever contributed. We are all busy with our families and works and i am sorry but all this blah-blah has been taken to hugely expensive (time and work-wise) levels for us all, and why this is? 'CAUSE YOU ARE TOO GETTING PERSONAL WITH THIS, LIKE SUNIL DID. FORGET YOURSELF. PRESENT LOGICAL ARGUEMENTS.

And just to clarify, i seriously thought of banning him to and i'd do it if i didn't have to leave for work, from which i just returned. If i had the time to consult Bregt and the other mods first, i'd do it very happily.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Jesus! I can't believe I missed all the fun! I mean in in the most ironic way possible.
    Seriously now. I've learn not to pay much attention to Sunil's overreactions towards things and to understand it in a way. The same way I've learned to take Erik's remarks with a pinch of salt. But anyway I've always felt that this thing we have here is about mutual respect of our diversity from all parts. "Troll" is a bad word but "racist"is an even worse one, a terrible one to my ears. So I will have to agree with Martijn but I will also have to say that it would be good to let somethings fall down, meaning not tease people like Sunil constantly since they don't always understand our (in general) humor.

Nobody teased SUNIL that much. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, Jordi had been "teased" in way more serious and intense manners than Sunil. People even teased Scribe, RC-lovers, even Tom, frequently, just to name some examples. Damn, i even get teased from time to time, or get into heated discussions with Steven for example, but does this mean i'll come down and name-call everyone or hold angry little kid emotions against people? SERIOUSLY.

IN THE PAST FEW DAYS, ALMOST NOBODY EVEN PAID ATTENTION TO SUNIL.

HE BROUGHT THE "BEING PICKED UPON" and "RACIST" shit on himself, ALONE. He's a classic example of a problematic individual who constantly seeks ANY KIND OF ATTENTION.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    If you want to proceed with this one, drop the personal vendettas against ERIK and convince us WHY is SUNIL, AND ALL THIS IN ANY WAY IMPORTAT to our family here. Name ONE important factor that he has ever contributed.

He has united us against a common foe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Nobody teased SUNIL that much. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, Jordi had been "teased" in way more serious and intense manners than Sunil. IN THE PAST FEW DAYS, ALMOST NOBODY EVEN PAID ATTENTION TO SUNIL. Tom, Scribe and other now or ex-Rc lovers

HE BROUGHT THE "BEING PICKED UPON" and "RACIST" shit on himself, ALONE. He's a classic example of a problematic individual who constantly seeks ANY KIND OF ATTENTION.

OK,OK!!!! Could you please stop shouting at me?! My ears hurt and I have a headache!!! Plus I was talking in general and not about Sunil specifically and I agree with you on the above post. My comment is in the borders of the fine art called diplomacy. Trying to sooth things a bit.
    Now go rest after all these hours of work and calm down hon.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    franz_conrad wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Ooooooh booooooy, Stavroula with a whip. Me first. biggrin

lol

Think again!!! tongue
  7. I find it's best not to think first when it comes to this sort of thing. Fortune favours the bold. (Or the bald, in my case.)