• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012 edited
    I didn't say that. Re-read, especially what i have on bold. I repeat: you did nothing wrong, he owes you an apology and we'll see how we'll handle it. Just don't deal with him any further 'till we see how we'll proceed please.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    Well, you did say that I (along with Pawel) provoked him which is 100% false. And even if I did, his reaction was totally uncalled for... but you know that. Anyway, I haven't been in contact with him at all and I have no interest in doing so.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Demetris, Erik did not bring it on himself by no way. It was an uncalled for remark and there was no reaction from the moderators. Justin got banned from multiple forums before and I started to see some merits to it. Also his rejected score website (I will actually check some things out with one of the composers to see if it's true at all) doesn't have the courtesy and respect to spell one of the composers' names right, that's plain disrespectful.

I don't think anyone wants this kind of rabid behavior on this beautiful board. What he said was as bad as Sunil and I know what I am saying.

Yes, I am rabidly against Justin's post and yes, partly because of his heavily pronounced hatred not just to the music of my favorite composer, but also the person. The fact that his life doesn't go exactly as he wishes it went doesn't merit any kind of rabid behavior towards anyone and you trying to calm down the situation makes things worse, I think. Nobody behaves on his level here, nobody, even if we could say much worse things about Justin than just making fun of the "music" he wrote.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Oh, and since it may relate to the subject and I was guilty of not that bad, but similar behavior before, I will post a more leveled opinion on Brian Tyler's music pretty soon, sadly also in essayistic form (to make all the points I want to make, maybe I'll pick a score I'd listen to in Now Playing thread, one that would present both the best and what I think are the worst elements of his style, might be actually Modern Warfare 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pawel, with all due respect, there's a lot of baseless ranting in your post.
    Let's keep this civilised until we are able to come to a proper way forward.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh, and since it may relate to the subject and I was guilty of not that bad, but similar behavior before, I will post a more leveled opinion on Brian Tyler's music pretty soon, sadly also in essayistic form (to make all the points I want to make, maybe I'll pick a score I'd listen to in Now Playing thread, one that would present both the best and what I think are the worst elements of his style, might be actually Modern Warfare 3.

If you do post this then could you post some bullet-points that summarise your opinion?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pawel, we cannot ban anyone because:

1. he hates your favorite composer: if you need my opinion you really need to calm down on that matter; you seem to hate with passion anyone who doesn't like Zimmer. Well, i am sorry this is not the community's problem.
    2. runs a website with spelling errors in it
    3. runs a website you don't like

Sunil got very carried away if you remember, wishing people cancer and crap like that. It's not to that level and as we said numerous times, if we are going to instantly ban people without discussing it or giving a chance to apologize, then we must bring a lot of other stuff upon the forum that most will not like either.

Let's follow Martijn's suggestion which is very logical. Keep it calm and civilized until we decide what to do with the matter. You cannot demand the instant banning of someone just because you don't like him. Re-read what you wrote, you obviously hold personal matters against him (like wtih Brian Tyler for instance) and i am afraid this is not a matter that concerns moderators. You're all grown men, deal with your personal problems, just not bring them upon the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And again don't answer to me like i actually said what you THOUGHT i implied. Re-read what i wrote and my 2nd response at Erik above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nevermind
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Demetris wrote
    Pawel, we cannot ban anyone because:

1. he hates your favorite composer: if you need my opinion you really need to calm down on that matter; you seem to hate with passion anyone who doesn't like Zimmer. Well, i am sorry this is not the community's problem.
    2. runs a website with spelling errors in it
    3. runs a website you don't like

Sunil got very carried away if you remember, wishing people cancer and crap like that. It's not to that level and as we said numerous times, if we are going to instantly ban people without discussing it or giving a chance to apologize, then we must bring a lot of other stuff upon the forum that most will not like either.

Let's follow Martijn's suggestion which is very logical. Keep it calm and civilized until we decide what to do with the matter. You cannot demand the instant banning of someone just because you don't like him. Re-read what you wrote, you obviously hold personal matters against him (like wtih Brian Tyler for instance) and i am afraid this is not a matter that concerns moderators. You're all grown men, deal with your personal problems, just not bring them upon the rest.

No, the thing is that Justin was always confrontative in everything he wrote and now got "carried away" by telling a guy who's a father of two kids that he's a bad parent with no arguments for that whatsoever. What's the difference in attitude between this and what Sunil did and what Justin did? Sunil was completely crazy, but in approach, there was *no* difference and yes, I will equate those two behaviors. Both came out of the blue, both were insanely personal, both were uncalled for and this came out of disagreement about who's the better composer of all things.

Second thing - my post was written BEFORE you replied to Erik, it appeared after I clicked to post, so I couldn't know more about your intentions, because I interpreted the first post you wrote just like Erik did. I don't think Justin should be banned because I don't like him, but because he went down to Sunil's level and he doesn't even think that he should apologize for that. He just dropped the bomb and doesn't want to make it any better and if you looked at his personal info (what Erik noticed), he just wants to play the victim here. So it's not a personal thing, D., it's him going totally personal for no reasons whatsoever and there being no reaction from any moderator for such behavior. That's the basic problem I have with the situation, there was no reaction whatsoever for those remarks coming from a more "legal" (quotation marks are the key here, by that I mean nothing more formal) standpoint. THIS is the basic grudge I have with the situation. About his site, in some cases I will just check if his statements are proven with a source.

Regarding me and hating Zimmer, yes, ever since I met the guy, I am vehemently protesting against any personal attacks hurled at the man, Justin on this forum (and other people on other forums) was the person guilty of this infraction.
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh, and since it may relate to the subject and I was guilty of not that bad, but similar behavior before, I will post a more leveled opinion on Brian Tyler's music pretty soon, sadly also in essayistic form (to make all the points I want to make, maybe I'll pick a score I'd listen to in Now Playing thread, one that would present both the best and what I think are the worst elements of his style, might be actually Modern Warfare 3.

If you do post this then could you post some bullet-points that summarise your opinion?

I'll try to be as succinct as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pawel, amazing though it may seem, not all communication in this community is run through or by you.
    Please refrain from suppositions and stop fanning the flames, please.
    It's not helping anything.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn wrote
    It's not helping anything.

Word.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Please try to calm down. All of us. Switch off the defence mode and breathe. We are running circles me thinks. Relax a bit and we will resolve the situation. Just let it be until things calm down. Come on! We can all do this. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote

Therefore when Bregt is back I am going to propose a limited (but not unchangable) set of basic rules that will guide user actions on the board. It's not meant to limit anyone, to curb any freedom or be implemented as some sort of prescriptive law. What I am proposing is simply a set of generic rules...yes, with sanctions, simply to help along equality and civility and avoid any random singling out of individuals for lambasting, punishment or preferential treatment.

Right now, it is just a suggestion.
    I will need to talk about this with the other mods and with God.
    But just so everyone knows this has our (well, my) attention.

As always I welcome thoughts and feedback.

Martijn, do you really think we need this? I mean the greatness of this place is that we've never needed this kind of measures. Well, some Sunil here or kokodezil there, but it's been years now we've been discussing, arguing, 'fighting' without needing 'tools' to punish anybody.

Damn, we've even become REAL friends here!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think there need to be SOMETHING in place. Nothing too restrictive but if you plan on coming here and screwing things up then there will be consequences.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Fair enough I guess. But so far we've managed it pretty good with the (ver few) cases of people coming here just to screw things up.

Still, if God and the mods are ok with it, I'm, ok with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So, let's see what Justin's first post was after all of this. Umm... yeah!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well all relationships have some basic rules, don't they? Friends, sexual relationships, etc. Why not this one too? nothing strict or restricting but some basic stuff based on basic social skills that not everyone seems to automatically have, sadly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Justin's second post

Anyone else see what's wrong with this?

-Erik-
  7. I can only agree with Stavi: Let's all take a deep breath...

And please: can everybody please try to not take things personally.
    Some people say something in jest, some because they have a bad day, some because they want to be hurtful. But whatever reason is behind a statement, you give it power by taking it personally.
    Don't let him or her have that much power.

I would hope you could always contact a moderator if you really feel attacked or insulted, and let him/her do the police work, and if push comes to shove, they will decide if banning is a necessity.

But when it comes to the question if we need rules, I would hope Marcel is right.
    Can't we just be friends (with different opinions, but still friends).

BTW Bear McCreary's reaction when somebody suggested he might want to set some rules on his forum was priceless.
    His suggestion was to implement only one rule: "Don't be a dick". biggrin

BTW: the above is just my 2 cents, so none should take it personally...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well basically we want to implement this rule too. Don't be a friggin dick. Have one is for sure welcome, but don't be one wink
  8. Demetris wrote
    Well basically we want to implement this rule too. Don't be a friggin dick. Have one is for sure welcome, but don't be one wink

OK for you D. if I pass on the having a dick? I'm very happy with my female sexual organs wink.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Demetris wrote
    Have one is for sure welcome, but don't be one wink

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently Justin elects to continue posting as if nothing has happened. As long as he's a member of the community, he can do that.
    Nobody can force him to do or not do anything.

However in light of the in my opinion reprehensible, extremely hurtful and rather inexcusable remark he made, I -if it were solely up to me- would issue a Formal Warning (next offense indeed to cause termination of the account).

However, right now, we have nothing as semi-formal like that in place. And while so far 100% of reactions is negative towards the remark (ranging from disaproval to anger to outright disgust) a proper consequence is much harder to find a consensus on.

So, to make sure such heavy actions aren't random or seem to favour certain people, I am suggesting a sort of code of conduct. Yeah, like 'don't be a dick'. So that when a transgression is noted, it can be deduced back to that code, with a fitting, connected consequence.

This would eliminate any considerations of nepotism, randomness or claims of ignorance.
    And it would free the mods from acting like police-diplomat-politician-superjudge. Which *I* for one do NOT have the time for.

So, I will put this to Bregt when he's back and then, and ONLY then will we come to a decision.

And unless any additional transgression happens, this will be my final word on this until then. (Which in no way is meant to stop any discussion or feedback. I'm just stating my own position and opinion.)
  9. Sounds very much fair enough. I mean, nobody really expects people to behave like, well, dicks, and this is a very special community. Except notable, well, exceptions, this is where difference in opinions is never ridiculed and ridiculing it even is made ironic remarks about. Sorry for my English here, that sentence must have been weird, what I basically mean is that every taste is accepted and even the whole FACT banter is very lighthearted. *THIS* makes the community so special.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012 edited
    Well, based on the fact that nothing can be done concerning Justin, I will be removing myself from this board until something can be done. So, enjoy Justin and his bullshit!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012
    Jeez! Has anyone read what Martijn said!? rolleyes slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012 edited
    And what would you do in my position? I don't want to be apart of a place where Justin is free to run around like nothing happened. This is a personal protest.

-Erik-