• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BASIC INSTINCT - Jerry Goldsmith

A perfect listen in this cold snowy city right now cool

I recommend you to watch the film than just listening to score. That will certainly keeps you warm on this chill weather. Is it not? biggrin

The film is okayish, I'm afraid Ms Stone's charms do nothing for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Feeling Christmassy today - Blizzard by Mark McKenzie
  1. Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote

I recommend you to watch the film than just listening to score. That will certainly keeps you warm on this chill weather. Is it not? biggrin

Not even that infamous shot ? rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Michael Giaccchino - UP

Much, much better smile Ahh...

Ah yes, a real gem this one. This must be, for me, the most enjoyable he's done for a feature film. The theme is even better than the Star Trek one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote

No! Not even that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. lol

That's a classic ! Was that from the first Naked Gun?
  4. Hans Zimmer and Heitor Pereira - It's Complicated

A nice, relaxing and soothing listen. For fans of The Holiday, it's basically an expansion of that one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer and Heitor Pereira - It's Complicated

A nice, relaxing and soothing listen. For fans of The Holiday, it's basically an expansion of that one.

Do you have the iTunes version? Is it 256kbs? I didn't see whether it's a Plus release or not.

Do you know if the Amazon.com version is 256kbs? The higher the bit rate the better, IMHO.
  5. Katiek wrote
    Feeling Christmassy today - Blizzard by Mark McKenzie

A great way to go!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Michael Giaccchino - UP

Much, much better smile Ahh...

Ah yes, a real gem this one. This must be, for me, the most enjoyable he's done for a feature film. The theme is even better than the Star Trek one.

Indeed. So beautiful, so childishly naive and heartwarming, so melodic. Perfect stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009 edited
    JP: AVATAR - James Horner
    Just finished my first listen, so the awfully commercial love ballad is still ringing in my ears. The score itself faired better of course.

It's always fun to listen to a score that makes you feel is THE experience of the moment (no matter how shallow and shortlived these feelings may be), and AVATAR, I'm sure, lives up to a lot of the hype. For me, it just does what I expected it to do: summarize Horners greatest recent hits and throw some new ideas in to create an eclectic mix that gives you the illusion it's a heavily inspired work yet in reality is only halfway so. In other words, typically Horner.

That's not to say I didn't like the compromise of intellectual orchestral writing and easy listening epic battle music, exactly where I bought the disc for. The whole thing ultimately feels like a quality score for the masses (no doubt soon a big hit on iTunes) even though the themes aren't as easy to pick out on first listen like the Zimmer ones. That's also due to the fact that this is at heart a Horner score, only fooling you into believing we're in RC territory with the orchestrations.

Nonetheless, although captivating, the score didn't grab me yet on an emotional level and only rarely wowed me. Tomorrow I'll see the film in IMAX 3D after which I hope this has changed. Untill then, it's just a fun event.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was listening: It's complicated (HZ&HP)

It's like the tracks from the Holiday I always skipped. the Bossa Nova oriented ones. plus "riding in car with boys".

Nice, but I prefer listen The Holiday any time. it has Better themes.

Anyway, How I said, this year is welcome home for Zimmer. This year he has composed scores like he was composing before his hyper succsesful the thin red line and Gladiator. Only score to have fun with.

Angels and Demons, Sherlock Holmes and it's complicated lacks of this level self importance that he was doing in the last years.

NP:Apollo 13 (Horner)

After the dissapointment with avatar, I needed listen some Horner masterpiece. And this is one of them.

The electronics are really well integrated, the action music is agressive, the launch scene is majestous, Annie Lennox vocals are cold and dark....

It's very Hornerish, without being to Hornerish dizzy

I ADORE IT!

PS:I can see a Horner mood comming to me..
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    BobdH wrote

Untill then, it's just a fun event.

I understand you, dude. the same happened to me....and how i'm one of the only people in the world who didn't like very much the movie, not the score is nothing more than a couple of decent moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Ninja Assassin - Ilan Eshkeri

Still trying to like this score. Not sure if that will happen.
  6. Gearing up for Christmas...have not long ago finished up wrapping presents and now just winding down with a selection of Vince Guaraldi tracks from a variety of Charlie Brown CDs: A Charlie Brown Christmas, Oh, Good Grief, tracks from "The Charlie Brown Suite" and "The Lost Cues From The Charlie Brown TV Specials".

The track "Linus and Lucy" just shouts "CHRISTMAS!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G8XH4WDxP4
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote

No! Not even that.

I don't understand the joke behind that video. confused
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sunil wrote

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beaver

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    BhelPuri wrote
    Sunil wrote

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beaver

wink

Damn Good Website! kiss beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Just finished my first listen, so the awfully commercial love ballad is still ringing in my ears. The score itself faired better of course.

I kinda like it; it's just the main theme turned into song, which is what Horner always does anyway. Yeah it's cheesy but it's a good pop song (Horner writes perfect love ballads anyway) and it's the main theme actually, it's not like he wrote new cheesy material specifically for the ballad wink I don't get why people are so against it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: Ninja Assassin - Ilan Eshkeri

Still trying to like this score. Not sure if that will happen.

Why are you 'trying' to like it? If it doesn't happen, if it doesn't click after the first listens, then toss it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

I kinda like it; it's just the main theme turned into song, which is what Horner always does anyway. Yeah it's cheesy but it's a good pop song (Horner writes perfect love ballads anyway) and it's the main theme actually, it's not like he wrote new cheesy material specifically for the ballad wink I don't get why people are so against it.

Well, my problem with it is the fact that it's completely devoid of the atmosphere the score breaths, even if it's the main theme. It tries to, a bit, with electronic simulation, but the added ballad-beat and characterless voice lacking of a personality that sounds like exactly any American Idol finalist just kills it for me. After I heard the song, I was completely out of the score, while I prefer to stay in its mood afterwards.

For example, I think Listen to the Wind from The New World is an excellent song, even if its still cheesy and ballad-ey like and typical Horner. But it uses an orchestra, has the vocalist from the score and doesn't have those awful beats. So it's an organic conclusion to the score smile.

But, of course, that song didn't need a videoclip nor had to be heard on the radio, whereas this one does, so you can just hear its made for radio and other commercial purposes (otherwise I'm sure they would've used the orchestra) sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Lady In The Water - James Newton Howard

What a buildup to the climax. The Great Eatlon is undoubtedly one of the best tracks ever coming from JNH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's one of my favourites from the man. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. NP: A Single Man (Abel Korzeniowski)

A really wonderful score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

Well, my problem with it is the fact that it's completely devoid of the atmosphere the score breaths, even if it's the main theme. It tries to, a bit, with electronic simulation, but the added ballad-beat and characterless voice lacking of a personality that sounds like exactly any American Idol finalist just kills it for me. After I heard the song, I was completely out of the score, while I prefer to stay in its mood afterwards.

For example, I think Listen to the Wind from The New World is an excellent song, even if its still cheesy and ballad-ey like and typical Horner. But it uses an orchestra, has the vocalist from the score and doesn't have those awful beats. So it's an organic conclusion to the score smile.

But, of course, that song didn't need a videoclip nor had to be heard on the radio, whereas this one does, so you can just hear its made for radio and other commercial purposes (otherwise I'm sure they would've used the orchestra) sad

Well, it's basically nothing than a cheesy teen-wetting-panties' aiming ballad a la Pop Idol (as you correctly wrote) and as such it should be observed, Horner's a top man at those wink Of course the inclusion of the orchestra would elevate the song so much higher, but it's funny how the orchestra's sound came to be considered SO commercial-unfriendly in our days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course the inclusion of the orchestra would elevate the song so much higher, but it's funny how the orchestra's sound came to be considered SO commercial-unfriendly in our days!

Well, it really is a funny thing, since when Metallica or Jay-Z use an orchestra, all of a sudden the music gets beautiful and like, so much better and generally just awesome. dizzy
    People love an orchestra, it's just not cool or socially accepted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: A Single Man (Abel Korzeniowski)

A really wonderful score.

Hell yeah punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Lucky Luke - Bruno Coulais

It's a score that starts off quite slowly (always a dangerous listen for me, as I tend to drop something when I'm not hooked from the get-go). However from track three ("Il Pleut" ("it rains") ) onwards the pace picks up considerably, with a wide variety of western stylistics -both "classic" and "spaghetti"- , though continuously with a very decidedly European slant, and that overall feel of introspection that Coulais does so very well. At times percussive, always melodic, this is a relatively quiet but very interesting and unjustly overlooked effort.

Interestingly the few songs tagged on at the end reflect the fifties -the time of Lucky Luke's conception as a graphic novel- than the wild west. That creative choice may be jarring to those not in the know, but I for one could certainly appreciate it.
    The first song (of five) is the best: a French take on the classic High Noon by Dimitri Tiomkin, interpreted very intensely and off-beat by Térez Montcalm, whose hoarse, soulful version elevates this beyond a mere gimmick.

Having been a lifelong fan of the graphic novels (no north-west European boy didn't grow up without Lucky Luke, the man who draws faster than his shadow), I'm really curious to see how the film turned out!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Lucky Luke - Bruno Coulais

It's a score that starts off quite slowly (always a dangerous listen for me, as I tend to drop something when I'm not hooked from the get-go). However from track three ("Il Pleut" ("it rains") ) onwards the pace picks up considerably, with a wide variety of western stylistics -both "classic" and "spaghetti"- , though continuously with a very decidedly European slant, and that overall feel of introspection that Coulais does so very well. At times percussive, always melodic, this is a relatively quiet but very interesting and unjustly overlooked effort.

Interestingly the few songs tagged on at the end reflect the fifties -the time of Lucky Luke's conception as a graphic novel- than the wild west. That creative choice may be jarring to those not in the know, but I for one could certainly appreciate it.
    The first song (of five) is the best: a French take on the classic High Noon by Dimitri Tiomkin, interpreted very intensely and off-beat by Térez Montcalm, whose hoarse, soulful version elevates this beyond a mere gimmick.

Having been a lifelong fan of the graphic novels (no north-west European boy didn't grow up with Lucky Luke, the man who draws faster than his shadow), I'm really curious to see how the film turned out!

It's indeed a very delightful and colorful score, but it doesn't help that whilst Bruno Coulais is generally overlooked (something i could never understand, as the man's writing is very unique), on the down side of this too, the film is one of those projects that are bound to pass under the radar for most people. I too loved the cartoon back in my childhood and am looking forward to the movie!

n.p. JAMES HORNER - Avatar

The main theme and its renditions are beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

n.p. JAMES HORNER - Avatar

The main theme and its renditions are beautiful.

Yeap. But there are not enough renditions.

NP:Four Feathers (Horner)

Horner's best "ethnic" score., And one of my favourites from him.

The action stuff is agressive and sometimes heroic, the main theme (used in avatar) is really touching, specially in the sublime last track.