• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

In film music very few composers come anywhere near close at choral writing to the sublime beauty of Delerue, quite simply, this is one of the most stunningly gorgeous scores ever written.

Oh boy! What a stunner. If there is a god - then this is what his music sounds like.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Roy wrote
    Indeed cool Braveheart is One of at least Two oscar-worthy scores by Horner just from 1995 biggrin

It's my opinion that he should have won for Braveheart though Apollo 13 would have been a worthy choice too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Roy wrote
    Indeed cool Braveheart is One of at least Two oscar-worthy scores by Horner just from 1995 biggrin

It's my opinion that he should have won for Braveheart though Apollo 13 would have been a worthy choice too.

They're both fantastic - though Braveheart does contain one of his most unfortunate pieces of borrowing (I know he's done it just as blatantly elsewhere - but never from such a famous piece).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Roy wrote

They're both fantastic - though Braveheart does contain one of his most unfortunate pieces of borrowing (I know he's done it just as blatantly elsewhere - but never from such a famous piece).

Simple Minds Belfast Child? biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    I would Chose Braveheart for an Oscar wink but that's May be because of a sentiment (That's one of thoose score I listen to film music in the first place) . Anyway if You mean that Prokoviev's Battle on the Ice thing I wouldn't exaggerate that influence, If You think about Holst's Jupiter That's diffrent Theme, there are similarities of course but again it's not an exaggerate.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Roy wrote

Simple Minds Belfast Child? biggrin wink

WHAT??
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Looks like we al forgot out secret decoder rings.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some of Braveheart sounds like the opening to the Simple Minds song Belfast Child.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

In film music very few composers come anywhere near close at choral writing to the sublime beauty of Delerue, quite simply, this is one of the most stunningly gorgeous scores ever written.

Oh boy! What a stunner. If there is a god - then this is what his music sounds like.

FACT!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COCOON - James Horner

I'm on a bit of a Horner kick at the moment, this is a superb score and the track playing right now The Lovemaking is just so gorgeous. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    Recent purchase and now playing: Trois Couleurs: Blue - Zbigniew Preisner.
    Ye Gods! shocked This is beautiful! There's that moody east european thing, but coupled with some very Trevor Jones-ish work (especially reminiscent of The Dark Crystal) as well as some thunderous choral works! That, together with the more introspective tracks and its overall lyrical quality makes this a huge asset to my collection!

Roll on the next two colours! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Ghost and the Darkness - Jerry Goldsmith

Hard to believe it's so recent that scores like this were pretty routine - nobody does them any more. Big, long-lined themes, grand sense of adventure, blisteringly good action music ("Lions Attack" - Christ). Brilliant!
  3. Martijn wrote

Roll on the next two colours! punk

WHITE is a bit less moody... And RED is a bit less classical.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    WHITE is a bit less moody...

Damn. slant
    And RED is a bit less classical.

Damn. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. But if like polish tango, then WHITE is for you. And if you like the Almodovar scores, RED is for you. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    But if like polish tango, then WHITE is for you. And if you like the Almodovar scores, RED is for you. wink

Damn. slant

Looks I'll have to stick to Bleu.
    Listening to Blanc now. It's rather shrug-ish (though indeed there's loads of Jans and Wojciechs tangoing about, indeed).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    JP: THE NINTH GATE - Wojciech Kilar
    The haunting main theme (Vocalise) stays with me long until the score has ended, even though I prefer the building strings from the theme for the Ninth Gate itself.

The thematic material for Corso surprised me in its rhytmic, light tone, yet it's very well woven into the score.

Theme-wise, this is a very strong effort, even though some Kilarisms aren't my cup of tea. Yet I still prefer his Dracula.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    On to Rouge now.
    More enjoyable than Blanc. But Bleu beats them out of the ballpark. Easily.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    JP: THE NINTH GATE - Wojciech Kilar
    The haunting main theme (Vocalise) stays with me long until the score has ended, even though I prefer the building strings from the theme for the Ninth Gate itself.

The thematic material for Corso surprised me in its rhytmic, light tone, yet it's very well woven into the score.

Theme-wise, this is a very strong effort, even though some Kilarisms aren't my cup of tea. Yet I still prefer his Dracula.

Well, Dracula is hard to beat. Ninth Gate is excellent. Have you heard any of his concert works?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JANE EYRE - John Williams

The main theme is either underrated or barely mentioned because of his canon of so many great popular themes. For me personally this is the most beautiful theme Williams has written, truly gorgeous, and the rest of the score is brilliant, especially the strongly Vaughan Williams like Restoration which is another major highlight of the album.

Of those composers influenced by Vaughan Williams only John Williams and Bernard Herrrmann evokes him unlike JNH and Horner who copy him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    Well, Dracula is hard to beat. Ninth Gate is excellent. Have you heard any of his concert works?

No, I haven't. What's a good one to start with?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JANE EYRE - John Williams

The main theme is either underrated or barely mentioned because of his canon of so many great popular themes. For me personally this is the most beautiful theme Williams has written, truly gorgeous, and the rest of the score is brilliant, especially the strongly Vaughan Williams like Restoration which is another major highlight of the album.

When the man's right, he's so very right! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    New years ought to begin with journeys! And for me a journey to Middle Earth is the best start!
    Lord of the Rings day then with the complete recordings play.
    NP: The Fellowship of the Ring
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  5. Well, it's another kind of journey for me... ^^

NP: March of the Penguins (Alex Wurman)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sherlock Holmes - Hans Zimmer

Its influences run far and wide, but this one's so enjoyable, just like Avatar I don't care. Easily the pick of his 2009 scores!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, I haven't. What's a good one to start with?

His Exodus for chorus and orchestra, a fantastic ( and very accessable ) work that can be got cheaply on the NAXOS label, there are two CD's available and both contain some excellent works that would appeal to film music fans, particularly if, like me, you love Kilar's work.

Very recommended Bob.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thanks! I'm kind of discovering new areas of classical music at the moment, so this is a great addition. Will seek it out!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Thanks! I'm kind of discovering new areas of classical music at the moment, so this is a great addition. Will seek it out!

Let me know what you think when you get around to hearing them.

NP : THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

One of my most played albums, superb! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Continuing the journey
    NP: The Return of the King
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Waterworld (James Newton Howard)

This is my favourite of him: an all-round FUNtastic score that has all the ingredients of JNH: magical choir, kickass action, wondrous beauty, and one memorable track after another. He hasn't bettered it yet where I'm concerned. But what do I know? My last purchase of him dates from 2002. shocked The reason for that? His recent style doesn't do it to me anymore.

Still this is undoubtedly one of the finest scores in my collection. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.