• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The hammer head rhino scene was laughable. I love the fact that the rhino's saved the day but Horner's music was completely out of place and turned that scene into the only really cheeseball scene in the entire picture!

-Erik-

I agree. That happy fanfare was out of place. They were in the middle of a rough fight for god´s sake.

What about all the chanting Zion-esque Navi trying to save the life of a naked Sigourney weaver? Now that was funny.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Yes, I read something about 2012 but who knows until then? smile

Tsunamis...volcanoes....etc etc

Bullshit prophecies.

...like I was taking it seriously? rolleyes

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_5

Okay! beer

Yes! Bullshit prophecies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The hammer head rhino scene was laughable. I love the fact that the rhino's saved the day but Horner's music was completely out of place and turned that scene into the only really cheeseball scene in the entire picture!

-Erik-

Never really occurred to me that it was a cheeseball scene, so I didn't really mind. I just really liked the music! Bit of 80s Horner there.

That was the only bit of Horner's quoting which really bothered me in the film, because it just sounded like it didn't belong there. I doubt anyone other than a film score geek would really notice, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's not. It's simply him having big ol shameless fun. And he was never THE composer to turn to for intellectual music, anyway wink

The intellectual properties of his film scores are perhaps half a step ahead of Harald Faltermeyer but I'm not sure you could put anyone else below him in the list, so I agree. King Arthur is fun. It's an awful score for the film, but a nice CD, in common with most of his work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Italian Job - John Powell

Now here's a score I was prepared to not like when it first came out, but I got sent a promo and found myself really enjoying a Powell score for, I think, the first time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    I edited my comment a bit. By all means go for it, I'm just saying I won't join in.

Just for shits and giggles.... if someone walked up to you and said name your favorite John Williams track... what's the first thing that pops in your head? Don't think about it...

-Erik-

The first thing that would pop into my head would probably be "Adventures on Earth" from ET. Then I'd think about it and decide it was something completely different, but that's what I'll go with for now!

(Like Steven, I find it hard to define absolute favourites when there are so many candidates and they are so different from each other. I mean, on another day I'd probably pick the end title from Born on the Fourth of July or the epilogue cue for The Fury album or a hundred other things - so difficult to say any of these is better than any other!)
  1. Timmer wrote
    Lars wrote
    it's an anti-war film about the cruel conflict in bosnia. dennis quaid plays a mercenary who protects a woman and her unintentional baby.

Apart from the convoluted and ropey opening to the film it is very worth watching, some scenes are staggeringly moving and will leave you with a feeling of impotent anger at the awful injustice.

A worthy film.

I would like to see the film again, and hear the score as well. I remember it being a very moving film, with a very fine central performance.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Shame about the album though, doesn't have a proper end credits track and is missing a couple of outstanding moments in the film.[/blue]

Well, the end credits is basically the re-use of "Jake's First Flight"... I think! And thank God the "Bishop's Countdown" inspired track was left off the album! That was horrible in the movie!

-Erik-

Yeah, when I saw the film a second time, I felt like a lot of the action music left off the album was pretty bitty and chopped up from the final battle. There are some nice unreleased bits, but I think the track they distilled it down to get the best of it together in a way that flows more musically.

One thing I wish they had used in the film was the 'Into the Navi World' track, for the final scene and into the credits. I play that cue against that final scene in my head (it even shares the opening), and it seems to fit great.

NP: Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Marco Beltrami)

One of Beltrami's best scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Marco Beltrami)

One of Beltrami's best scores.

It's very good indeed. Nice film, too (a bit Peckinpah-ish).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Un Homme et Son Chien - [b]Philippe Rombi[/i]

Grood*

-Erik-

*Great + Good =
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010 edited
    I read all 389 new comments.

What I remember:
    - Jordi cannot listen to Zimmer until February biggrin wink
    - I should not enter the Zimmer topic
    - Martijn likes TROIS COULEURS: BLUE and I have to agree. The choir music thrills even my comatic cat
    - Avatar is not better than Titanic
    - no one mentioned the score I'm now playing: Tannöd by Johan Sqodervist
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote

So tell us... what are we missing out on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Un Homme et Son Chien - [b]Philippe Rombi[/i]

Grood*

*Great + Good =

biggrin

Completely agree though!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

I heard it a lot during the past week too. It's typical Johan string-led melancholy, with ambient atmospheres, fragile piano, moody passages and this time enriched with some exotic instrumentation and beautiful choir work. It is very recomended!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

I heard it a lot during the past week too. It's typical Johan string-led melancholy, with ambient atmospheres, fragile piano, moody passages and this time enriched with some exotic instrumentation and beautiful choir work. It is very recomended!

Well, it was my first listen, and as usual with such dramatic scores, you need to hear it more. It has a beauty of a theme, and Joep pointed out the track Tannöd II is one of his favourite tracks of 2009. It certainly is very emotional, but whether that statement is true, I will need a bit more listens. It is in the vein of Let the Right One In.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    I read all 389 new comments.

What I remember:
    - Jordi cannot listen to Zimmer until February biggrin wink
    - I should not enter the Zimmer topic
    - Martijn likes TROIS COULEURS: BLUE and I have to agree. The choir music thrills even my comatic cat
    - Avatar is not better than Titanic

And the moral of the story is - If you ever have the time to read every comment in the Zimmer thread, don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    I edited my comment a bit. By all means go for it, I'm just saying I won't join in.

Just for shits and giggles.... if someone walked up to you and said name your favorite John Williams track... what's the first thing that pops in your head? Don't think about it...

-Erik-

HERE THEY COME.

Boom!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    The choir music thrills even my comatic cat

Pictures of the cat, Bregt. Recent ones.
    Now.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    HERE THEY COME.

Of course I only mentioned this second thought rethink re-title because the average age on the forum is fourteen so no one will remember its TRUE and PROPER title, which is BEN'S DEATH AND TIE-FIGHTER ATTACK!

Boom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Now.

Bregt: we.never.forget.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    HERE THEY COME.

Of course I only mentioned this second thought rethink re-title because the average age on the forum is fourteen so no one will remember its TRUE and PROPER title, which is BEN'S DEATH AND TIE-FIGHTER ATTACK!

Boom.

Well, Williams' renamed the concert version of the cue HERE THEY COME which was first recorded by Charles Gerhardt!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...its TRUE and PROPER title, which is BEN'S DEATH AND TIE-FIGHTER ATTACK!

angry angry angry angry
  4. Shut up you gits. It's called A NEW HOPE.

oops. Wrong star trek name controversy... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You, Sir, are OFF my Christmas Card list.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...its TRUE and PROPER title, which is BEN'S DEATH AND TIE-FIGHTER ATTACK!

angry angry angry angry

Yes it is!

At your command Martijn, I'll start slaying!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Shut up you gits. It's called A NEW HOPE.

oops. Wrong star trek name controversy... biggrin

Starting with Michael.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Now.

Bregt: we.never.forget.

Jordi would do well to remember those words because I DON'T FORGET!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This Tim is made for slayin'
    And that's just what he'll do.
    And one of these nights this Tim,
    is breaking pool cues over you.

Ready Tim?
    Start slayin'
    <insane The Wrecking Crew outro playing at fortisissimo>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What are those lyrics from, Linkin Park?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Fourteen years.
    I swear.