• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010 edited
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

First of all, isn't that just one of the greatest film titles of all time!

Anyway, this is a great score, blah blah blah... we've heard it all before but I do want to bring something else up that might stimulate some conversation. IMHO, "The Asteroid Field" is probably the best piece of music Williams has ever written for film. I once stated that the "Superman Theme" was the best thing Williams has ever written but after viewing Empire over the holidays I think that Williams absolutely stuck gold with his brilliant "ballet in the stars." I LOVE those racing strings that appear just before the first statement of the main motif; there's a brief pause in the on-screen action where Kershner shows us a floating asteroid after Han says "Never tell me the odds." Then the Falcon bursts onto screen with TIE fighters in pursuit and Williams goes full tilt with the Asteroid Field motif! 2:05 in THIS VIDEO! Goosebumps every time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    PawelStroinski wrote
    This is a Hans Zimmer score that pisses me off.

Care to elaborate? wink kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

First of all, isn't that just one of the greatest film titles of all time!

Anyway, this is a great score, blah blah blah... we've heard it all before but I do want to bring something else up that might stimulate some conversation. IMHO, "The Asteroid Field" is probably the best piece of music Williams has ever written for film. I once stated that the "Superman Theme" was the best thing Williams has ever written but after viewing Empire over the holidays I think that Williams absolutely stuck gold with his brilliant "ballet in the stars." I LOVE those racing strings that appear just before the first statement of the main motif; there's a brief pause in the on-screen action where Kershner shows us a floating asteroid after Han says "Never tell me the odds." Then the Falcon bursts onto screen with TIE fighters in pursuit and Williams goes full tilt with the Asteroid Field motif! 2:05 in THIS VIDEO! Goosebumps every time!

-Erik-

It's certainly one of the best, but Williams has produced so many equally worthy cues for equally worthy scenes that I just can't bring myself to deal in absolutes! I've never been comfortable with the "It's the greatest..." tag.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    It's certainly one of the best, but Williams has produced so many equally worthy cues for equally worthy scenes that I just can't bring myself to deal in absolutes! I've never been comfortable with the "It's the greatest..." tag.

rolleyes Ugh! I see where you are coming from but there has to be that one cue that goes above and beyond everything else. Just humour me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Stavroula wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Care to elaborate? wink kiss

It's just. We all know Zimmer isn't very good with orchestra and stuff like that, but after The Thin Red Line and Gladiator, writing a score which is basically one note performed by a full orchestral ensemble is, at least to me, a huge setback. I also hate the overly reverberated recording. Oh, and some material sounds like an uninspired version of The Prince of Egypt to me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Yes, I read something about 2012 but who knows until then? smile

Tsunamis...volcanoes....etc etc

Bullshit prophecies.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: King Arthur - Hans Zimmer

Hans' action music baring its fangs. Here's some of his real power packed material. punk

Love it. Pure kick-ass Zimmer that doesn't need to pretend it's actually intellectual. wink
  2. No, just completely stupid wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I find it hard that a Zimmer fan especially, would not like such a bold score. It's the best, most honest parada of RC-isms ever, done by the inventor himself. What's not to like when the volume's loud and brain's switched off?
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: King Arthur - Hans Zimmer

Hans' action music baring its fangs. Here's some of his real power packed material. punk

Love it. Pure kick-ass Zimmer that doesn't need to pretend it's actually intellectual. wink

BUDGET MEETING is an awesome action track and the last minute of HOLD THE ICE performed by orchestra and (synth?)choir sounds absolutely beautiful.
  3. I just don't like when the inventor's brain is switched off too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not. It's simply him having big ol shameless fun. And he was never THE composer to turn to for intellectual music, anyway wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote

Me too. I just find it unlikeable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Bullshit prophecies.

...like I was taking it seriously? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    It's simply him having big ol shameless fun. And he was never THE composer to turn to for intellectual music, anyway wink

To me, he is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

rolleyes Ugh! I see where you are coming from but there has to be that one cue that goes above and beyond everything else. Just humour me.

-Erik-

I have no problem saying The Asteroid Field is one of the greatest pieces Williams has written and the pure excitement of it married to the visuals is pure idiots delight. It's amongst the greatest pieces of incidental music ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I can't though! Choosing one score is hard enough, and even though I'd say Empire Strikes Back is probably my favourite score, there are a few other scores I enjoy just as much.

As far as deciding what I think is the best cue or the best score, I have no idea. It's all subjective. There's no definitive formula for a great piece of music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I have no problem saying The Asteroid Field is one of the greatest pieces Williams has written and the pure excitement of it married to the visuals is pure idiots delight. It's amongst the greatest pieces of incidental music ever written.

Neither do I, The Asteroid Field IS one of Williams' greatest cues - but that's not my point. I just couldn't bring myself to call it THE greatest. As I said, too many to choose from, plus it's too subjective to narrow it down to just one.

Not that I mind anyone else doing it of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Bullshit prophecies.

...like I was taking it seriously? rolleyes

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_5
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

May not be the most original thing ever, but I have grown to really really enjoy this one. We'll see if this one has 'staying power', like Giacchino's Star Trek has since its release (I can't even begin to imagine how many times I must have listened to that), but for now I'm absolutely loving it. Shame about the album though, doesn't have a proper end credits track and is missing a couple of outstanding moments in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Neither do I, The Asteroid Field IS one of Williams' greatest cues - but that's not my point. I just couldn't bring myself to call it THE greatest. As I said, too many to choose from, plus it's too subjective to narrow it down to just one.

Talk about sucking all the fun out of this.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I edited my comment a bit. By all means go for it, I'm just saying I won't join in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Shame about the album though, doesn't have a proper end credits track and is missing a couple of outstanding moments in the film.[/blue]

Well, the end credits is basically the re-use of "Jake's First Flight"... I think! And thank God the "Bishop's Countdown" inspired track was left off the album! That was horrible in the movie!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I edited my comment a bit. By all means go for it, I'm just saying I won't join in.

Just for shits and giggles.... if someone walked up to you and said name your favorite John Williams track... what's the first thing that pops in your head? Don't think about it...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Shame about the album though, doesn't have a proper end credits track and is missing a couple of outstanding moments in the film.[/blue]

Well, the end credits is basically the re-use of "Jake's First Flight"... I think! And thank God the "Bishop's Countdown" inspired track was left off the album! That was horrible in the movie!

-Erik-

I loved that bit, that was the bit I was referring to! biggrin And the moment the hammer-head rhino-elephants attacked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Just for shits and giggles.... if someone walked up to you and said name your favorite John Williams track... what's the first thing that pops in your head? Don't think about it...

-Erik-

If I don't think about it, literally nothing pops into my head. If I do think about it, then too many things pop into my head! dizzy Sorry, I'm not very good at this game at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I loved that bit, that was the bit I was referring to! biggrin And the moment the hammer-head rhino-elephants attacked.

The hammer head rhino scene was laughable. I love the fact that the rhino's saved the day but Horner's music was completely out of place and turned that scene into the only really cheeseball scene in the entire picture!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

If I don't think about it, literally nothing pops into my head. If I do think about it, then too many things pop into my head! dizzy Sorry, I'm not very good at this game at all.

Not very good... dood, you SUCK at this game! tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    The hammer head rhino scene was laughable. I love the fact that the rhino's saved the day but Horner's music was completely out of place and turned that scene into the only really cheeseball scene in the entire picture!

-Erik-

I agree. That happy fanfare was out of place. They were in the middle of a rough fight for god´s sake.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Never really occurred to me that it was a cheeseball scene, so I didn't really mind. I just really liked the music! Bit of 80s Horner there.