• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    Martijn wrote
    yeah

Was playing: The Hawaiians - Henry Mancini
    I love the lyricism, which is very good in this score, but unfortunately there's a little too much "ethnic trickery" going on. There is a decided Chinese slant to many of the cues, but it's "Hollywood Chinese" (I think there's even a phrase for that. The Fu Man Chu March or something? It escapes me at present).
    Anyway, still quite enjoyable though less so than I hoped when I heard the sound clips.

Halfway through I realized it's Good Friday, so I changed to The Passion Of The Christ - John Debney
    My memory was playing tricks on me, as I remembered the score being mainly timpani and that ferschlugginer Eastern Wailing drone again, but I was very wrong: it's a beautiful, thoughtful and powerful score, with a powerful melodic touch. Very enjoyable indeed, and I'm sorry I left it so long!

I've still yet to getting around to playing The Hawaiians.

As for Passion of The Christ I too should give it another go, I never liked it as much as some people here do but I'm always willing to give anything another chance, I think, like you Martijn, that maybe my memory is playing tricks on me too because I always think of catterwauling women and it puts me off playing it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    dreamed in the morning George 'Jokel' Shaw. A new release from George.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Cracks - Javier Navarette
    This score is like, what Pan's Labyrinth would sound like if you cut out all the fantasy elements and focused on the real world war plot.

Also I think Navarette is a lot like Desplat, in some ways. This score also sounds a lot like Desplat's drama scores i.e. The Painted Veil.

I like this score a lot more than I thought I would when I first listened to it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Djawadi's Clash of the Titans is quite possibly one of the worse scores I have EVER heard! It had me reaching for Rosenthal's superior effort to relieve the pain!

-Erik-

Ok. i have heard it .

it's not bad. I mean...bad is the track "by the weapon" or if you take some other score bad is "the kraken".

This score is simply bland, uninspired and like nothing. it's not bad music, it's not good music. it's nothing.

I'm not defending this score or the producers decision by any mean. And I hope some day Armstrong score will be out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    This score is simply bland, uninspired and like nothing. it's not bad music, it's not good music. it's nothing.

Someone should write an essay based on this sentence. Preferably a psychologist.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    A Single Man | abel korzeniowski and shigeru umebayashi

Wow! The pieces by Abel are gorgeous. The violin solo performing the absolutely beautiful theme in the opening track, backed by soft strings (reminded me a bit of the BSG pieces), is stunning. The more playful tracks (Going Somewhere for example) certainly keep it more interesting, especially when combined wit the main theme (Swimming). Not necessarily exceptional, but just all very very well done. Clock Ticks reminds me of Tuomas Kantelinen score with that track Cycles.

Wow!

Shigeru's pieces are quite different in tone (though fairly dramatic too), and his highlight is the aggressive Carlos, a fairly dark track with some sort of battle between high and low strings.

I like it!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ It should have been nominated for an Academy Award instead of The Hurt Locker!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : Raiders Of The Lost Ark - John Williams

Listening to my LP (which if memory serves me correctly I outbid Steven for on eBay - sorry buddy, have you found another copy?) smile

Imo the only release where you can feel the warmth of the orchestra, and I favour that over the super-clarity of the boxset. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    NP : Raiders Of The Lost Ark - John Williams

Imo the only release where you can feel the warmth of the orchestra, and I favour that over the super-clarity of the boxset. cool

I'd say that the box set has the same warm mix as the LP. The DCC release is a little sharper in the high ends.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ It should have been nominated for an Academy Award instead of The Hurt Locker!

-Erik-

Here here!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010
    NP: The Phantom - David Newman

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer & Elton John & Lebo M & Mark Mancina (bootleg score + songs)

Today I had an exam to get a job and messed it up tongue
    Nothing is better than listening to my absolute favorite to forget about it! tongue

Hakuna Matata!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010 edited
    It's our problem free... philosophy! cool beer

I'm sure you'll make it through next time! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010 edited
    You can run from it or learn from it, yeah bunny

NP: Dances With Wolves - John Barry

love Beautiful themes!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Empire Strikes Back John Williams

Just over 2 hours, and I wouldn't want to cut a single minute of it. In this case, more IS more. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SANDPEBBLES - Jerry Goldsmith

Classic cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010
    RP: Selected tracks from Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and At World's End - Hans Zimmer and co.

And two bonus Suites added too -

01 - Pirates, Day One, 4:56 AM
    02 - Dinner Is Served
    03 - Jack Sparrow
    04 - Wheel Of Fortune
    05 - The Kraken
    06 - Singapore
    07 - Up Is Down
    08 - What Shall We Die For
    09 - I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time
    10 - One Day
    11 - Drink Me Up Hearties
    12 - Hoist The Colours Suite

Almost an hour of rockin' FUN! cool punk
  1. Alive - James Newton Howard

Such an inspired early JNH, the themes are great, and there's a real sense of exciting adventure as well as powerful drama. Wish this was slightly longer, half an hour isn't nearly enough. Shame he doesn't write like this anymore ('It's God' is an absolutely moving cue).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Alive - James Newton Howard

Such an inspired early JNH, the themes are great, and there's a real sense of exciting adventure as well as powerful drama. Wish this was slightly longer, half an hour isn't nearly enough. Shame he doesn't write like this anymore ('It's God' is an absolutely moving cue).

There's plenty more score than this in the film. And you're right, it is a lovely score.

Check out the film if you haven't seen it, it's very good.
  2. Oh believe me I have lots of times, I love the film as well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Minority Report - John Williams

I like this score a lot, and not just because of "Anderton's Great Escape", as fun as that piece is. Some of the other tracks like "Spyders" and "Eye-Dentiscan" sound like something I'd hear in an Alfred Hitchcock film. And "A New Beginning" is quite lovely.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Minority Report - John Williams

I like this score a lot, and not just because of "Anderton's Great Escape", as fun as that piece is. Some of the other tracks like "Spyders" and "Eye-Dentiscan" sound like something I'd hear in an Alfred Hitchcock film. And "A New Beginning" is quite lovely.

I like everything about that score BUT "Anderton's Great Escape."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I like everything about that score ESPECIALLY "Anderton's Great Escape."
  4. I like Anderton's Great Escape, but yeah, it's a typical JW action piece as opposed to the rest of the rather Herrmanesque score (acknowledged by Spielberg, who even went as far as to call the movie a sort of tribute to Hitchcock).

I think the movie is pretty underrated. It may be one of my favorite Spielberg films!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Kevin Scarlet wrote

I disliked everything except one cue, which at best was "okay". Sold it for like five dollars to another score lover, but only after I got so sick of having the bastard and no one wanting it, that I threatened to micrtowave it. In hindsight, I wish I had simply microwaved it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    justin boggan wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I disliked everything except one cue, which at best was "okay". Sold it for like five dollars to another score lover, but only after I got so sick of having the bastard and no one wanting it, that I threatened to micrtowave it. In hindsight, I wish I had simply microwaved it.

That's because you're an idiot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, because he's a man of rare taste and insight.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

punk

[ big ] punk punk punk [ /big ]

Since everyone here is listening to the great maestro, I might as well join in.

Memoirs of a Geisha

Boy was I ever so wrong in stating that this score had so little to offer apart from the splendid theme for Sayuri. Boy am I glad I don't think like that anymore.

Love the film, love the music in it, though it isn't always an easy listen on CD, it's the perfect score for the film, full of brilliant performances and lush melodies. A really good sunday evening listen. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    No, because he's a man of rare taste and insight.

Ah, my mistake. If only Justin had scored it, being the master of composition that he clearly is we might have ended up with something far superior.