• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    See??? you people are saying the same like I said.

Again, all you guys only attacks me when I'm saying what everybody thinks.

I never said it was bad, i said the same as you do, people.

You're still weird!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010 edited
    Jordi,

Thing is that you're rushing to fat and loud declarations right from the very beginning of the first time you're listening to it. You don't let it rest, you don't leave it its time to grow and get cultivated in you; you're changing opinions all the time and you're hurrying. You're overflowing the forum, sometimes making even the slightest mention of the score off-putting and tiring to members who haven't even had the chance to hear it once, some of them don't even want to 'cause of the over-exposure here. And i said that i am saving my last thoughts on it for after i've seen the movie. I am not declaring anything, i am just thinking out loud.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course i want them. Who wouldn't? But maybe the movie doesn't need them? Who knows.

These types of films need them! They almost demand them! If John Williams was on this project every element would have had a concert suite. Or if Goldsmith was scoring this film at the least we would have had some sort of STRONG theme to tie the score together!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course i want them. Who wouldn't? But maybe the movie doesn't need them? Who knows.

These types of films need them! They almost demand them! If John Williams was on this project every element would have had a concert suite.

-Erik-

Depends; his mature body of work during the last years suggests perhaps a slight departure from the leitmotific Wagner-esque approach of his past or, surely, a change in style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi,

Thing is that you're rushing to fat and loud declarations right from the very beginning of the first time you're listening to it. You don't let it rest, you don't leave it its time to grow and get cultivated in you; you're changing opinions all the time and you're hurrying. You're overflowing the forum, sometimes making even the slightest mention of the score off-putting and tiring to members who haven't even had the chance to hear it once, some of them don't even want to 'cause of the over-exposure here. And i said that i am saving my last thoughts on it for after i've seen the movie. I am not declaring anything, i am just thinking out loud.

You can say what you want. Again.

Again you (take as the whole forum) always put excuses.

The fact is you never give me the reason just because....I'm Jordi.

this is the sad thing.

But now another post about my changes of my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nobody made you anything mate wink You're making who you are, not us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Depends; his mature body of work during the last years suggests perhaps a slight departure from the leitmotific Wagner-esque approach of his past or, surely, a change in style.

Meh! Write a fucking theme! Just one for Christ's sake!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nobody made you anything mate wink You're making who you are, not us.

Yes, but this doesn't change the facts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Meh!

-Erik-

I know. What's troubling me, in general, as a thought mostly, not a disturbance per se, is it if it's due to composers getting bored of the same ol' stuff and trying new stuff (like all the atonal / 12-note / serialism and aleatoric techniques John Williams employs these days for instance) or the more in the depth and less on the surface less in your face big-ass themes so many others do these days, or is it just something the directors established as a trend? Maybe they don't want their less and less intelligent, more and more fast-food entertainment eager (that's the truth i am afraid) audiences actually distracted by such big bold and evident leitmotifs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nautilus wrote
    See??? you people are saying the same like I said.

Again, all you guys only attacks me when I'm saying what everybody thinks.

I never said it was bad, i said the same as you do, people.

Yes, and I even agree with you (I'll comment later) but you don't need to say it 43 times. You should go listen to Morricone again to let TLA rest again. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    New Moon - Alexandre Desplat

I'm only 6 tracks into this and I'm already impressed. I can't think of anyone except maybe Thomas Newman who can write delicate, lush string music the way Desplat can...

Thank you.

You thank him?!?! shocked crazy

How many times have I said similar things about Desplat's music?! Am I invisible?!

(Don't take it seriously Kevin! I'm teasing D! wink)
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've seen your comments on Curious case and i wholly agree. But we were just 3-4, now we are getting to be a bigger group just to bust Erik and Martijn wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Maybe they don't want their less and less intelligent, more and more fast-food entertainment eager (that's the truth i am afraid) audiences actually distracted by such big bold and evident leitmotifs?

You know what's sad? I thought the Lord of the Ring Trilogy would have had much more of an impact on the film music world like Star Wars did in 1977. It really seemed to be heading that way (multi-Oscars for Shore, great album sales, expanded releases, etc) but it looks like I was waaaaaaay off. It's amazing how insignificant the the Lord of the Rings have become compared to the effect Williams had on the industry in 1977.

-Erik-
  1. NP: Glory - James Horner

One of the most unoriginal scores that James Horner has written but it is definitely one of the most manipulative [effective] ones too.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Curious... why is it so unoriginal?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Maybe they don't want their less and less intelligent, more and more fast-food entertainment eager (that's the truth i am afraid) audiences actually distracted by such big bold and evident leitmotifs?

You know what sad? I thought the Lord of the Ring Trilogy would have had much more of an impact on the film music world like Star Wars did in 1977. It really seemed to be heading that way (multi-Oscars for Shore, great album sales, expanded releases, etc) but it looks like I was waaaaaaay off. It's amazing how insignificant the the Lord of the Rings have become compared to the effect Williams had on the industry in 1977.

-Erik-

Very true....sadly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You know what sad? I thought the Lord of the Ring Trilogy would have had much more of an impact on the film music world like Star Wars did in 1977. It really seemed to be heading that way (multi-Oscars for Shore, great album sales, expanded releases, etc) but it looks like I was waaaaaaay off. It's amazing how insignificant the the Lord of the Rings have become compared to the effect Williams had on the industry in 1977.

-Erik-

You're very right. But i think it comes to down to characteristics of society these days:

Much larger audiences
    Fast-food entertainment: Way smaller time to think things thoroughly before our attention gets bombarded and drawn to something else completely.
    Much higher output in numbers and decreasing quality; most such films these days simply look to entertain, not make you think so much....and of course
    stupid audiences

Here, i said it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Meh! Write a fucking theme! Just one for Christ's sake!

-Erik-

punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It was one of the first scores to put me to sleep instantly. That's something, eh? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Vaughan Williams rips I guess. I wouldn't say it's completely unoriginal though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Vaughan Williams rips I guess. I wouldn't say it's completely unoriginal though.

And a large dose of his favourite composer, Prokofiev.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-The tragedy theme = Prokofiev
    -The self belief theme (the secondary theme) = Flashes of Morricone's The Mission (especially in the timpani/bass)
    -The call to arms trumpet solo = a merging of the trumpet theme from Predator and Copland's Fanfare for a Common Man
    -Charging Fort Wagner = a merging of Orff & Wagner
    -The jubilee snare and flute patterns are from another movie, the name of which escapes me now, but it's a 1970s movie that was nominated for an Academy Award
    -"Burning of the Town of Darien" is somewhat similar on that Vaughan Williams classical piece heard in Master and Commander: Far Side of the World

Not to say Glory is a bad score at all, I would give it four stars. I'm just very aware of its influences.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

You're very right. But i think it comes to down to characteristics of society these days:

Much larger audiences
    Fast-food entertainment: Way smaller time to think things thoroughly before our attention gets bombarded and drawn to something else completely.
    Much higher output in numbers and decreasing quality; most such films these days simply look to entertain, not make you think so much....and of course
    stupid audiences

Here, i said it.

Dood everything you said can be applied to film in the 80's. There were just as many stupid one off retard mindless movies in the 80's as there are now. The difference is that when a composer is given something like Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time the composer gives us an grand epic score for the ages. Nowadays we are left with drivel like Jawadawadadoody's Clash of the Titans.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Much larger audiences
    stupid audiences

Here, i said it.

Dood everything you said can be applied to film in the 80's. There were just as many stupid one off retard mindless movies in the 80's as there are now. The difference is that when a composer is given something like Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time the composer gives us an grand epic score for the ages. Nowadays we are left with drivel like Jawadawadadoody's Clash of the Titans.

-Erik-

I know.

But back then we didn't have as many Djawadoodooos as today. And no cubase and hoards of realistic vst's. And you had to actually grab the pencil and sheet and write notes on it. Plus the society wasn't bombarding you with rapidly changing media constantly all day long as it does these days, fewer productions were made, at least big-budget ones. Don't know, just thinking out loud.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CROSSED SWORDS - Maurice Jarre

Full of great themes punk
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Much larger audiences
    stupid audiences

Here, i said it.

-Erik-

I know.

But back then we didn't have as many Djawadoodooos as today. And no cubase and hoards of realistic vst's. And you had to actually grab the pencil and sheet and write notes on it. Plus the society wasn't bombarding you with rapidly changing media constantly all day long as it does these days, fewer productions were made, at least big-budget ones. Don't know, just thinking out loud.

Maybe bad movies from the 1980s needed the music to make it seem better because they could not hide bad movies through how good the special effects were, like today. That's why movies like Krull and The Beastmaster 2 had huge scores to give the film the sense of epicness it tried to get (which the special effects could not give). Bad movies today, usually, can afford a decent (or bigger) budget for special effects, so they can hide how bad the movie is (or at least create a visual environment for the audience to be impressed with, without having to rely on the score alone to push it along.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Quite simply there are too many talentless composers out there
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, that's a good reason too, very plausible. But won't they let composers provide such scores nevertheless? Would it be too much then, they afraid? Or are the composers not into that kind of stuff anymore....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Quite simply there are too many talentless composers out there

But even the talented / older ones aren't providing such scores these days.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, that's a good reason too, very plausible. But won't they let composers provide such scores nevertheless? Would it be too much then, they afraid? Or are the composers not into that kind of stuff anymore....

Why are we worried about a movie like Clash of the Titans having a score like it had? It really wasn't that good a movie, it won't win any Oscars, and will probably sit in video rental stores for years to come. I highly doubt any fans will promote it as their favourite score.