• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Quite simply there are too many talentless composers out there

Yes. At least 20 years ago the talented ones got the high profiled work! Now they are subjected to scoring Aladdin 4: Magic Carpet Goes Bananas.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Quite simply there are too many talentless composers out there

But even the talented / older ones aren't providing such scores these days.

Simply put, it's thousands of composers applying for hundreds of jobs, and it's about who you know, not what you know.

Some reason is that a composer may write a good score, but it may not be able to stand up for itself in the general scope of a year's film scores (as distinctive enough). Or people just don't look about it. Look at Robert Folk.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KevinSmith wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, that's a good reason too, very plausible. But won't they let composers provide such scores nevertheless? Would it be too much then, they afraid? Or are the composers not into that kind of stuff anymore....

Why are we worried about a movie like Clash of the Titans having a score like it had? It really wasn't that good a movie, it won't win any Oscars, and will probably sit in video rental stores for years to come. I highly doubt any fans will promote it as their favourite score.

'Cause in the past, such crappy pseudo-epic movies, used to be playground for composers and great scores came from that.

It's a shame that such films like this and Robin Hood get forgettable scores in the end; from what i remember, only PRINCE OF PERSIA got a proper genre score so far (kick ass and epic really, kudos to Harry for the surprise and for proving us wrong) , from these new titles.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, that's a good reason too, very plausible. But won't they let composers provide such scores nevertheless? Would it be too much then, they afraid? Or are the composers not into that kind of stuff anymore....

Why are we worried about a movie like Clash of the Titans having a score like it had? It really wasn't that good a movie, it won't win any Oscars, and will probably sit in video rental stores for years to come. I highly doubt any fans will promote it as their favourite score.

Because we as score fans expect something grand and wonderful to come from the fantasy/adventure genre. Look at all the GREAT scores that the genre produced. Instead of stuff like The Boy Who Could Fly, The Beastmaster and Willow we are left with generic junk such as Clash of the Titans, Robin Hood and Iron Man.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Trying this one again... added some temporary EQ's in iTunes to warm up the recording. It still sounds like cheap RC synths but not as grating without the EQ's! Hopefully, this improves my enjoyment of the score.

-Erik-
  1. I would recommend two things, because this discussion is very interesting.

First, let's get it a specific thread, as simple as that.

Second, let's not discuss dominating styles, because it's easy to get into well-founded, but ultimately bringing nothing discussion how bad RC sound is for everything and nothing. What the style developed into is crap, that's true, but I don't think talking about it will bring us to interesting conclusions.

Let's rather discuss what happened with the music in 30 years or so from Star Wars until now and the trends rather than certain styles. How movies changed, too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Trying this one again... added some temporary EQ's in iTunes to warm up the recording. It still sounds like cheap RC synths but not as grating without the EQ's! Hopefully, this improves my enjoyment of the score.

-Erik-

But at least it has a LOT of themes!.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can't get past the 3rd piece in that score, no matter how hard i tried.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There's some pretty exciting BUT incredibly noising action cues but I've yet to get attached to one single theme yet in this score. However, I do like the quieter cues... for instance, the child like innocence of "Forbidden Friendship" is a highlight! Wow! So good!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    There's some pretty exciting BUT incredibly noising action cues but I've yet to get attached to one single theme yet in this score.

-Erik-

Well, I think Powell is composing a little bit too much over the top. I miss the powell who created exciting action stuff without so many fireworks (paycheck, Bolt).

I love every theme from How to train, except the vikings one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bolt and Paycheck are to prime examples of Powell at his best.
  2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Desplat again...

This is shaping up to be my favorite Desplat score as a whole...It's really awakened the hopeless romantic in me.

I would have been so cool with this beating WALL-E for Best Score of 2008...certainly moreso than Slumdog Millionaire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    There's some pretty exciting BUT incredibly noising action cues but I've yet to get attached to one single theme yet in this score.

-Erik-

Well, I think Powell is composing a little bit too much over the top. I miss the powell who created exciting action stuff without so many fireworks (paycheck, Bolt).

I love every theme from How to train, except the vikings one.

It's a really good score... that's if you can get into the middle sections of the album. That's where the heart of the score is! "Forbidden Friendship," "Test Flight" and "Romantic Fight" are great. And I love that celtic theme... but I'm a sucker for that sort of stuff!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Femme Fatale (Sakamoto)

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course i want them. Who wouldn't? But maybe the movie doesn't need them? Who knows.

These types of films need them! They almost demand them! If John Williams was on this project every element would have had a concert suite. Or if Goldsmith was scoring this film at the least we would have had some sort of STRONG theme to tie the score together!

-Erik-

I don't think this film needs memorable themes. Being a Shaymalan movie and being about "kung Fu" (or whatever) this film needs more a blend between Philip glass minimalism and big action music.

In fact the 3 main "motifs" are ok or even great ( the statement on "journey to.."). How I said the problem is more about the textures. All the magic from the previous newton howard /shaymalan col.laborations is a little bit gone here.

Another thing is sometimes, the thematic devolopment is a little bit disjointed.

Being said that, I do really enjoy the music. The movie will say if this score will remain in my memory. (I wonder how if Lady in the Water was a good movie...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course i want them. Who wouldn't? But maybe the movie doesn't need them? Who knows.

These types of films need them! They almost demand them! If John Williams was on this project every element would have had a concert suite. Or if Goldsmith was scoring this film at the least we would have had some sort of STRONG theme to tie the score together!

-Erik-

I don't think this film needs memorable themes.

That pretty sums up the problem with film music these days! How utterly disappointing to hear it come from a film music fan. Sure, not all films NEED broad expansive themes but if there was ever a film this year that would give a composer the opportunity to write them I'd would have bet my right nut that this was the one. So, so sad.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    but if there was ever a film this year that would give a composer the opportunity to write them I'd would have bet my right nut that this was the one. So, so sad.

-Erik-

Are you really sure this film deserves all the praise it is getting before its release? The trailer looked like a videogame and reminded me of Dragonball. Even the posters look like Dragonball.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    but if there was ever a film this year that would give a composer the opportunity to write them I'd would have bet my right nut that this was the one. So, so sad.

-Erik-

Are you really sure this film deserves all the praise it is getting before its release? The trailer looked like a videogame.

What are the critics saying? I haven't read any early reviews.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Rocketeer - James Horner

This one is hampered by a memorable main theme. I mean, memorable themes are so cliche. Star Wars already has them. And the orchestrations are dynamic, creative and typical of a Horner actioner. Far too exciting! Horner should have thought about minimalism to convey the magic of flight and insert ethnic German voices to signal the Nazi's... but maybe use one or two notes... you don't want audience be too frightened and think there was any sort of melody or they might walk out of the theatre in disgust.

-Erik-
  3. NP: Robert Folk - Selected Suites

It's a good to very good compilation of scores that underused composer Robert Folk has done. Scores include Toy Soldiers, The Never Ending Story Part II and Police Academy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Talk about underrating an album, Kevin. That 2CD Folk sampler is fooking incredible!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

This one is hampered by a memorable main theme. I mean, memorable themes are so cliche. Star Wars already has them. And the orchestrations are dynamic, creative and typical of a Horner actioner. Far too exciting! Horner should have thought about minimalism to convey the magic of flight and insert ethnic German voices to signal the Nazi's... but maybe use one or two notes... you don't want audience be too frightened and think there was any sort of melody or they might walk out of the theatre in disgust.

-Erik-

Did you change your mind about Airbender, Erik? it is not "Dynamite" anymore? tongue

Rocketter punk punk Flying Circus....I almost can feel the air in my skin...
  4. Timmer wrote
    NP : CROSSED SWORDS - Maurice Jarre

Full of great themes punk

Ay sir.

It's been interesting to see the excitement at AIRBENDER fade a bit. I listened to HAPPENING, LADY IN THE WATER and SIGNS again last night. This unfortunately doesn't touch their company. The melodies of LADY IN THE WATER would probably be a bit touchy-feely for this film, but listening to that score, I couldn't help but think it had the heart and the sense of fantasy that AIRBENDER was lacking for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Talk about underrating an album, Kevin. That 2CD Folk sampler is fooking incredible!

-Erik-

Again, Erik, I think that this is an unheralded album, because people simply do not know that this album exists. Everyone who has/owns it says it's great/fantastic/etc.
  6. NP: The Great King and the Four Gods (Hisaishi)

This is quality stuff from the venerable Joe. (Who does his thing oh so very well.)
    Anyone know if the second volume is still available for purchase anywhere in our soundtrack world?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Spot on Erik, it takes me back to the bad old days of Jerry Goldsmith, John Barry, Henry Mancini etc etc.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

biggrin

Never before have you been so close to a certain Spaniard.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - Howard Shore

How can something be this good... love

Reading the book now too. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010
    You inspired me!

NP: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

I'm playing the much preferred single CD release.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010
    NP: The Phantom - David Newman

This is the fun, rich music romp I need right now.
    A top notch action score in every way! Love it!
    cool