• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    In what way am I not objective?

you can't explain to a person who is not objective why he is not objective. wink

&(*@&!#&&$#@*$)*@)#*@)&#(!&!!!!!!)($*)#(*$)(*
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

you can't explain to a person who is not objective why he is not objective. wink

exactly my thoughts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    I love the main themes from all the scores he's written, mostly the requiem choral stuff from BABYLON A.D. which is very, very good. The rest is just filler.

I suspect in 10 years we'll have 13 more scores from him so we could make one good album with all the 16-7 main themes he'd have written by then.

Indeed. That pretty much says it.
    Did you hear the track "Anna & Kay" from Season? I think it's really gorgeous.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

You can explain anything to me. I'm quite intelligent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Are you sure he wasn't reflexively being self-referential? slant
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. He was biggrin

James, Jordi thinks you are a James Horner fanboy as much as he is a Hans Zimmer fanboy, as simple as that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He was biggrin

James, Jordi thinks you are a James Horner fanboy as much as he is a Hans Zimmer fanboy, as simple as that.

Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

it's not matter of inteligence. I know you are very clever. tongue
  2. Jordi, with all due respect, I don't think you are aware that objectivity the way you see it doesn't really exist.

In case of research paper or a film score review objectivity doesn't mean hiding any sort of bias towards a certain composer. There are, yes, objective reasons to say that James Horner is the best composer working today. While he has his detractions, like usually the sounds of electronics, the self-repetition, the classical music copies, misunderstanding of some movies (not only meaning Malick here) also, outside of music, a rather arrogant personality, but...

With the relative absence of John Williams, James Horner is simply the best orchestral writer in the world and even more, with all due respect to Williams who I adore, there are pieces Horner wrote I don't think Williams could do with his approach, like the opening cue of Enemy at the Gates. If we looked at the quality of music AS music, James Horner is about the best composer of the lot.

You aren't objective either, Jordi... You see detractions of Zimmer (and James does see detractions of Horner and other composers which he chose to prefer, like you and me chose to prefer Hans Zimmer, and it's as simple as that here), but still you tend to like his scores more than say scores of Marco Beltrami or Brian Tyler. This is the truth, Jordi.

I must say that I'm rather pissed off (and not only me, I can only guess) of your repeated attacks on James here. You are pretty much conflicted with almost every member of the community here. Right, there is a lot of charm to your constant change of opinion and the way you tend to write your posts (spelling and grammar that is), but sometimes you do tend to provoke on purpose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    This is the truth, Jordi.

Objective truth? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Answer yourself tongue
  4. PawelStroinski wrote

With the relative absence of John Williams, James Horner is simply the best orchestral writer in the world and even more, with all due respect to Williams who I adore, there are pieces Horner wrote I don't think Williams could do with his approach, like the opening cue of Enemy at the Gates.

ENEMY AT THE GATES is a very ironic case to cite when talking about there being things Horner can do that Williams couldn't. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Answer yourself tongue

Subjective answers to meet objective truth? dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jordi, with all due respect, I don't think you are aware that objectivity the way you see it doesn't really exist.

In case of research paper or a film score review objectivity doesn't mean hiding any sort of bias towards a certain composer. There are, yes, objective reasons to say that James Horner is the best composer working today. While he has his detractions, like usually the sounds of electronics, the self-repetition, the classical music copies, misunderstanding of some movies (not only meaning Malick here) also, outside of music, a rather arrogant personality, but...

With the relative absence of John Williams, James Horner is simply the best orchestral writer in the world and even more, with all due respect to Williams who I adore, there are pieces Horner wrote I don't think Williams could do with his approach, like the opening cue of Enemy at the Gates. If we looked at the quality of music AS music, James Horner is about the best composer of the lot.

You aren't objective either, Jordi... You see detractions of Zimmer (and James does see detractions of Horner and other composers which he chose to prefer, like you and me chose to prefer Hans Zimmer, and it's as simple as that here), but still you tend to like his scores more than say scores of Marco Beltrami or Brian Tyler. This is the truth, Jordi.

I must say that I'm rather pissed off (and not only me, I can only guess) of your repeated attacks on James here. You are pretty much conflicted with almost every member of the community here. Right, there is a lot of charm to your constant change of opinion and the way you tend to write your posts (spelling and grammar that is), but sometimes you do tend to provoke on purpose.

a)Of course I tend to like more a Zimmer scores. I never said I'm more objective about Zimmer than James about Horner. In fact I said "that's why everyone of us, is here" The love for some person make us see less his faults.

B) I don't attack James. And I never did it. I try to "play" a little bit to have fun with everyone (including myself). I only attacked one person here on purpose : to Steven. And since some months ago I even read his posts. I simply ignore him. Any of my comments are trying to heart anyone, because I appreciate every one of you.

C) About my change of mind and opinion, I don't careless about it .Because I know my opinion is so valid than yours. Youu people are wrong with me, and the proof is this post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Because I know my opinion is so valid that every single opinion here.

It is so valid that every single opinion here...what?

You can't start a sentence like that without finishing it!
    Them's potential fighting words!

C'mon! Finish your sentence like a man!

EDIT:
    Aha. You quickly edited your post. wink
    (The proper expression, by the way, is "just as valid as yours")

And we still love you. kiss
    Well, I do.

And my word is law around these here parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote

EDIT:
    Aha. You quickly edited your post. wink
    (The proper expression, by the way, is "just as valid as yours")

And we still love you. kiss
    Well, I do.

And my word is law around these here parts.

Yeah, I wanted to writte fast my reply because I was really offended by the post (even if i'm sure it wasn't what Pawel wanted). then i tried to fix a little bit my "grammar" mess. but just a little bit :P

And I love all of you. And Southall is, seriously, one of the guys who I appreciate most.

About our realationship...You know, Now you are a women we have a future together! tongue

By the way...GI joe is better than A-team. But not better than Beowulf. But Beowulf is not better than Van Helsing.But van Helsing is better than Mummy returns... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    About our realationship...You know, Now you are a women we have a future together! tongue

Go away.

By the way...GI joe is better than A-team. But not better than Beowulf. But Beowulf is not better than Van Helsing.But van Helsing is better than Mummy returns... dizzy

Shut up.

Thank God.
    Things are back to normal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: The A-Team - Alan Silvestri

It's a good listen, but very underwhelming in the end. The proto-typical Silvestri sound is all over this, which is nice to have once a year. The theme is nice, though he should have created one that could meld into and/or compliment the A-Team in some way. It is much, much better than GI Joe, though the erratic nature of some of the cues suggests that it's like a better built version of the GI Joe/Beowulf styling, and not of the classic Judge Dredd/Eraser model.

JUDGE DREDD ! You're fucking kidding, that score is M.A.R.V.E.L.L.O.U.S.

(I am not doubting what you said as i haven't heard the score yet (! wink ) but rather ranting in excitement 'cause if it's anywhere even remotely like JUDGE DREDD, one of the biggest kick-ass motherfuckers he has ever composed, then i am sold. Off to watch it in the cinema in an hour).

Yeah, it's nowhere near the awesome quality of Judge Dredd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote

Being economical with your words would suit you better. So here's the way to illustrate your comparo...

G.I. Joe > A Team < Beowulf < Van Helsing > Mummy Returns

For me, Judge Dredd >= Mummy Returns > A-Team > Beowulf > Van Helsing >= G.I. Joe
  5. Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Because I know my opinion is so valid that every single opinion here.

It is so valid that every single opinion here...what?

You can't start a sentence like that without finishing it!
    Them's potential fighting words!

It's the Battle of the Wits!

Somebody came unarmed. moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    I only attacked one person here on purpose : to Steven. And since some months ago I even read his posts. I simply ignore him.

You attack me? cheesy It's good to know I can still annoy you. smile kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Outland - Jerry Goldsmith

Alien's long lost cousin. Lots of great suspense/atmosphere and one of Goldsmith most kick ass action cues... "Hot Water." This score was recorded by Eric Tomlinson which is a BIG bonus! Enjoying this one VERY much!

-Erik-

Can't wait for this one to arrive. (Though I'll need to order it first, which I've failed to do so far.) "Hot Water" is indeed fantastic. What's the unreleased stuff like?

I'm not too familiar with the original album but usually scores containing a lot of suspense/atmosphere don't do much for me but Goldsmith always kept it interesting whether through his unique orchestrations or the inclusion of electronics. In Outland I love the electronic work. But as I said above I'd compare Outland with Alien.

-Erik-

Received it today and am looking forward to listening. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

$%&#!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Outland - Jerry Goldsmith

Alien's long lost cousin. Lots of great suspense/atmosphere and one of Goldsmith most kick ass action cues... "Hot Water." This score was recorded by Eric Tomlinson which is a BIG bonus! Enjoying this one VERY much!

-Erik-

Can't wait for this one to arrive. (Though I'll need to order it first, which I've failed to do so far.) "Hot Water" is indeed fantastic. What's the unreleased stuff like?

I'm not too familiar with the original album but usually scores containing a lot of suspense/atmosphere don't do much for me but Goldsmith always kept it interesting whether through his unique orchestrations or the inclusion of electronics. In Outland I love the electronic work. But as I said above I'd compare Outland with Alien.

-Erik-

Received it today and am looking forward to listening. cool

I was listening to Outland last night and I have to say that I love it! Definitely a relation to his score Alien, but I also found there to be hints of Goldsmith's creepy/suspenseful music as heard in The Omen - maybe it was the way he uses the chimes/bells in the atmospheric passages in Outland.

Great to hear the different, film versions of "Spiders" and "The Air Lock" - my two favourite cues on the original GNP Crescendo CD.

A great expansion that adds enormously to what was already available.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Finished off Intrada's Mr. Atlas. Not bad. What hoping for better... but it's a sweet, emotional score with sweep and a theme that I'm pretty sure was inspired by Alfi Kabiljo's Sky Bandits.

After my first listen I was pleased with this Plumeri score. Not too much of the Americana about it, and I have been quite taken with the main theme. I need to go back and revisit Sky Bandits to listen to what you mean, Erik.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Agnes Of God - Georges Delerue

Solemn, moving, reverent, introspective, at points disturbing.
    And gorgeous. Just bloody gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, can't but wholeheartedly agree with this one. A rare beauty case for sure.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith

Magnificent sister score to Alien. Perhaps not as rich thematically as Alien but it certainly takes you back to the cold space atmosphere of that score.
    The extra cues are great. This is Goldsmith during his prime season of scoring gem after gem!
    I've edited out the Michael Boddicker tracks for a pure Goldsmith experience.
    Great liner notes too!
    cool

2010 has so far been a crackin' good year for film scores old and new!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, can't but wholeheartedly agree with this one. A rare beauty case for sure.

I think you should always use 'rare beauty' where it truly is applicable and Agnes of God is a perfect case in point.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    NP: OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith

Magnificent sister score to Alien. Perhaps not as rich thematically as Alien but it certainly takes you back to the cold space atmosphere of that score.
    The extra cues are great. This is Goldsmith during his prime season of scoring gem after gem!
    I've edited out the Michael Boddicker tracks for a pure Goldsmith experience.
    Great liner notes too!
    cool

2010 has so far been a crackin' good year for film scores old and new!

Looking forward to giving this a listen later. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

With the relative absence of John Williams, James Horner is simply the best orchestral writer in the world and even more, with all due respect to Williams who I adore, there are pieces Horner wrote I don't think Williams could do with his approach, like the opening cue of Enemy at the Gates.

ENEMY AT THE GATES is a very ironic case to cite when talking about there being things Horner can do that Williams couldn't. wink

biggrin