• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas newman - revolutionary road

We're surely getting far less from this composer than we should. American Beauty like, but a bit more developed, a bit more mature and certainly less depressing.

When is he going to do a large orchestral score again? Is there anything coming up from him? He's still one of my favourite composers. I was listening to The Horse Whisperer lately, and while not in the upper range of his output, it has some extra ordinary tracks. The violin and cello (or other strings) play in The Accident for example!

I am not sure this kind of films / scores exists anymore today.

I said a while ago that if Andrew Stanton, the director of WALL-E and Finding Nemo, hadn't dropped him, Newman might have had his next epic score on the horizon. As it stands, that doesn't seem to be in the cards now. sad

That said, Revolutionary Road is one of his finest works. "April" is a tour de force. Not depressing, my ass. You all haven't seen the movie? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    Kung Fu Panda - Zimmer & Powell

This score has only about 5-6 tracks that I actually like, the rest is too fragmented for me. I mean it is a showcase what I DON'T like in film music: when there's a switch of styles in every 20 seconds of a track. I love when the style changes between the tracks and not in them. Therefore Oogway ascends, Panda Po or The Bridge are the best tracks because they are coherent, they keep their style throughout their entire length.
    I think that's why Morricone is my favourite composer: he never composes pieces that change their style in every 10-15 seconds. He never composes pieces that follow the onscreen events but rather pieces that fit the onscreen events and therefore can be enjoyed completely as a standalone listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's got nice, scarce ideas, but as a whole it's pretty disconnecting a listening experience, and tiring at places. I'd say that several Powell animated scores suffer from this, they're not focused and coherent enough. The exceptions would be up, the incredibles, ratatouille, happy feet.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010 edited
    Blasphemy!

Kung Fu Panda is one of the best scores from both composers! Epic, dramatic, funny, action packed, exotic..

crazy crazy crazy

PS: happy feet can't be more fragmented until the last 5 tracks!!!! rolleyes

NP:Prince of Persia Sands of Time

Let me make a more focused listening after the 2 first tracks...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    The exceptions would be up, the incredibles, ratatouille, happy feet.

Those are by a certain Mr. Giacchino, actually. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i had to clarify, i thought about mainstream but coherent hollywood animated scores in general, most prominent ones being by Giacchino and Powell, these are the ones i had in mind. If we were to talk Powell alone, i'd say the Happy feet score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The Incredibles coherent and unfragmented..... biggrin biggrin biggrin

Did you hear that Roger? ahahahaha
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Blasphemy!

Kung Fu Panda is one of the best scores from both composers! Epic, dramatic, funny, action packed, exotic..

crazy crazy crazy

Agreed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    One thing is sure about Prince of Persia....I can't think in a better composer to make shines the middle eastern instruments as much as Harry does. and it can be worth to listen only for this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    If we were to talk Powell alone, i'd say the Happy feet score.

I think his new How To Train Your Dragon score was very well developed and thematically coherent too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    If we were to talk Powell alone, i'd say the Happy feet score.

I think his new How To Train Your Dragon score was very well developed and thematically coherent too.

I agree. That's the best animation score by Powell, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. ALAN SILVESTRI - cast away

Repetitive but can you really get enough of that gorgeous theme? I, for one, can't smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    One thing is sure about Prince of Persia....I can't think in a better composer to make shines the middle eastern instruments as much as Harry does. and it can be worth to listen only for this.

If only he was able to make the whole orchestra shine as well.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

If only he was able to make the whole orchestra shine as well.

biggrin

I think he tried to hard to avoid Zimmerisms. I mean the heavy use of Horns, so he uses to few tongue

NP:HIdalgo (James Newton Howard)

I don't like the main theme. So I never have been a fan of this score.

let me try again...
  2. lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Scribe wrote
    RE: Prince of Persia...haven't heard it yet, but I'm sure it's gotta be pretty decent if both Hans Zimmer and Demetris like it. Looking forward to it!

Good, people read my interview biggrin

Any update? I remember you saying that there's an addendum to that interview?

Not really an addendum, Hans promised to "talk to me about Thin Red Line" specifically. FIrst part of this conversation did happen, actually. The only downside was the failure of my Skype call recorder, but I remmeber what he told me.

I will talk with him again, he specifically asked me to divide the conversation in two.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans promised to "talk to me about Thin Red Line" specifically.

Nice Pawel, looking forward to listening to that.

PawelStroinski wrote
    he specifically asked me to divide the conversation in two.

It looks like a long conversation then lick
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. My recording software failed, alas. The first part didn't record. I could share some info, I think, but I dunno in which thread they would be actually read biggrin
  4. Oh, and the first part was about half an hour
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Fantastic Mr. Fox - Desplat (both releases)

First listen.
    WTF!?
    Conceptually this sounded like a score I would hate, but after so many good comments I finally decided to give it a try, and I love it!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    ID4 (deluxe) - David Arnold

Huge! Amazing! Dazzling! Awesomeness! punk
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    10 yes, 20hmmmm, 100? You're exaggerating.

Not exaggerating at all. Every single one of my Top 10 scores of the past decade are miles ahead of Avatar!

-Erik-

I'd like to see your list of top 10 from last year, Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    I'd like to see your list of top 10 from last year, Erik.

Coming soon...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Nautilus wrote
    NP:HIdalgo (James Newton Howard)

I don't like the main theme. So I never have been a fan of this score.

let me try again...

Man, I think that theme is GLORIOUS. Hope you liked it more this time around.

NP - "Nesun Dorma" (Pucchini) sung by Pavarotti. Awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Robin Hood Marc Streitenfeld

Very generic 'heroic' theme with relatively simple action writing.... but I think I like it!? I like its non-processed "organic" sound. Some of the action, although nothing spectacular, is rather enjoyable. And I am a sucker for Celtic-y, Oirish music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ^Actually, nearer the end of the album, the action is relatively decent. Again, nothing spectacular... but quite good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So in other words, the RC output this summer is thus far at a slightly more tolerable level than last summer?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    crazy It's never tolerable crazy

-Erik-

wink
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Last Station - Sergey Yevtushenko

First listen... lovely little score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    After watching Robin Hood I have an "epic" mood....

NP:Lionheart (Goldsmith)

I choosed this one because I have heard A LOT First Knight and 13 warrior.

Why Lionheartd is considered Goldsmith's best adventure score? It doesn't have chorus, it has dated synth, the action music is ruined by "bad guy's" motif.

If only the whole score was like "Failed Knight", "the lake", "King Richard"...

But it's a GOLDSMITH! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Why Lionheartd is considered Goldsmith's best adventure score? It doesn't have chorus, it has dated synth, the action music is ruined by "bad guy's" motif.

Some of the BEST adventure scores don't have a chorus. Lionheart is a superb score filled with noble themes, dark bad guy motifs, heroic action scoring, fantastic rhythms, minimal use of synths (which don't bother me) and an all around sense of fun! From note one to the final orchestral blast in the cue "King Richard," Lionheart is an outstanding score filled with everything film score lovers adore. Lionheart contains a lot of what is lacking in modern film music today.

-Erik-