• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    STEVE JABLONSKY - steamboy

I haven't played it for years and revisited just now. Wow, i remember this to be much much better back then; i thought to myself, is this his "best" score to date? Definitely not if you ask me now.

By far the best thing Jablooy has produced.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010
    Ah, not really.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, not really.

Aaaaaaah..... yes really.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've played Steamboy a couple of times and it's not bad at all but cripes knows when I'll play it again, there's always something much better to play when I look through my shelves.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, saying that Steamboy is Jablosnky's best doesn't mean it's a masterpiece or anything. I really have no interest in the man's "music."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

Excellent!

Couldn't have put it better myself!

n.p JOHN MURPHY and HENRY JACKMAN and a bunch of other fine gentlemen- kick ass
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p JOHN MURPHY and HENRY JACKMAN and a bunch of other fine gentlemen- kick ass

I like it. Even though I've only seen the film once it's quite easy to place the music with each scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    KICK-ASS works fine within the film, but when I heard the 28 Days Later temptrack was kept within the film and that was apparantly Murphy's contribution, I wondered what other temptracks had stayed in the film that I didn't recognise. To me, something like that (as in Kingdom of Heaven) screams 'score problems'.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I haven't played it for years and revisited just now. Wow, i remember this to be much much better back then; i thought to myself, is this his "best" score to date? Definitely not if you ask me now.

-Erik-

Steamboy is, for me, by far the most enjoyable thing that Steve Jablonsky has done to date. And I'd go that extra mile and even say that the thematic and action scoring is some of the best I've heard! My day brightens when one of these tracks plays.

And this score from Jablonsky will always mean that I'll give him a second chance with a new title.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Come on!

It's highly generic. and the orchestrations are generic as well.

Give me transformers, at least it has the "touch".
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Red Pony from Copland, one of my all-time favorites
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Transformers is indeed highly generic with generic orchestrations. Transformers is terrible!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, but it's fun. Best enjoyed when drunk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Shrek Forever After - Harry Gregson-Williams

After the pretty disappointing third score, I think this one is actually pretty good. Rumpelstiltskin's theme/motif is nice and the orchestrations are also pretty good. I think it's at least as good as Shrek 2, though of course nowhere near the first score. The action music in the second half is exciting and pretty engaging. Overall, pretty nice job by HGW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Jumanji - James Horner

I never understood why this album received lukewarm or negative feedback when it was released. I think it's one of Horner's best action scores. It is melodic, dynamic and full of memorable themes. I love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Would you not rather enjoy something good to listen to while drunk?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    keky wrote
    Jumanji - James Horner

I never understood why this album received lukewarm or negative feedback when it was released. I think it's one of Horner's best action scores. It is melodic, dynamic and full of memorable themes. I love it!

It think it's wonderful!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Transformers and The island are the same ingredients with Steamboy, only without trying to sound orchestral and intellectual; just letting go and being hugely fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Would you rather a have a shitty, fatty, salty burger when drunk or a gourmet meal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I enjoy the heck out of Transformers.
    I must be drunk a lot... christmas_drunk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Last time I was drunk I listened to Beowulf. Oh man, that was a heck of an experience!!!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    Last time I was drunk I listened to Beowulf. Oh man, that was a heck of an experience!!!

And loads better than Transformers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Would you rather a have a shitty, fatty, salty burger when drunk or a gourmet meal?

Neither! ( I'd go for pizza or kebab or if really flush, an Indian meal )

And musically, I don't want the equivalent of fast food crap to listen to when I'm drunk tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well whatever, I enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Total Recall (Deluxe Edition) - Jerry Goldsmith

The Best Goldsmith Action Score. Ever.

I love it. Great themes, motives, rhythms, everything. And it fits the movie like a glove.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    punk

-Erik-
  2. NP: LOST suites (Giacchino; ed. Anthony)

Just listening to suites 1 and 2, and it's nice to hear some effort put into distilling this stuff down. (I can never make it through whole CDs of LOST music.) One thing that I really do feel, now that it's packed down, is that this is music that I don't really enjoy a great deal. It's kind of halfway between on-the-nose dramatic scoring and extremely well-written music. While the orchestration is strong, it's not amazing in the way that has me listening just for the sake of such amazing music. And while the music has drama and shape and storytelling, a lot of it comes down to overwrought high drama or jungle drums with groaning trombones. Not my cup of tea. (And that's all I'm saying - that it isn't my cup of tea.)

Still, interested to hear where the music goes in seasons 3 to 5 suites. I have the season 3 disc, but have never listened to it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Revenge of the Sith - John Williams

So far, this is the best Star Wars score I've heard. After watching and enjoying the movie, the level of tragedy and darkness from the score was just amplified. And I know I'm probably alone in this, but I think Battle of the Heroes/Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is a better concert theme than Duel of the Fates.

Other tracks that stick out are Anakin's Betrayal, Anakin's Dark Deeds, General Grievous, and Padme's Ruminations...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Revenge of the Sith - John Williams

So far, this is the best Star Wars score I've heard. After watching and enjoying the movie, the level of tragedy and darkness from the score was just amplified. And I know I'm probably alone in this, but I think Battle of the Heroes/Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is a better concert theme than Duel of the Fates.

shocked

-Erik-