• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010
    Give me the sounds of Jerry Goldsmith (Sum Of All Fears) James Horner (Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games) Christopher Young (Murder at 1600) and Bruce Broughton (Shadow Conspiracy, Narrow Margin) over Djawadi and Zimmer's creatively empty sounds.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I keep looking to see whether I should buy the complete Battlestar Galactica on DVD. Maybe an ideal request for Christmas?

I'd just go for Season 1 and see if you get into it. There's a lot of episodes you'll never watch if you get the the whole thing and only watch the first 5.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Give me the sounds of Jerry Goldsmith (Sum Of All Fears) James Horner (Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games) Christopher Young (Murder at 1600) and Bruce Broughton (Shadow Conspiracy, Narrow Margin) over Djawadi and Zimmer's creatively empty sounds.

-Erik-

Patriot Games is not quite a great example of a technothriller, because it is a reworking of a score which worked (never watched the movie, but I'd love to) in a spiritual crime thriller about Native Americans. Young's score sometimes sounds like Horner-lite, even if I love it. Clear and Present Danger doesn't have anything original to it and even is the last and finally orchestral version of the 80s action (parts of Ambush).

Great examples because all are adaptations of Tom Clancy (the creator of technothriller genre). I think you forgot Poledouris's Hunt for the Red October, which would work greatly, but I can't speak of the album here much, because it's well, an example of the bad release of a great score, so I can't name you examples of a great track except Nuclear Scam (and for any Russian themed movie/game - of course - the Hymn).

Didn't hear much of Broughton yet. Goldsmith's stuff is the best, but I do think there are some Zimmer references (temp-track - Crimson Tide and Peacemaker) not through motifs or themes, but rather ways to use certain elements (choir and electronics namely).

I wonder what would Giacchino do with such a genre.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010
    Scribe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I keep looking to see whether I should buy the complete Battlestar Galactica on DVD. Maybe an ideal request for Christmas?

Don't bother unless you enjoy dark, cynical storytelling. I watched the first season and I'm still rather iffy on whether I actually enjoyed it. It's very well written but it left me feeling oppressed. When I was younger I would have enjoyed the heck out of it, but now I kind of like my entertainment to be at least slightly uplifting...

Sounds like something i'd enjoy then!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Angel by Philippe Rombi. What an excellent score full of wonderful track after wonderful track. The score gets a little samey by the end, but that doesn't lower it too much when more of the same in this case is still orchestral and thematic beauty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Really, really beautiful! Anyone seen the movie too or is it too sacharine?
  4. The movie is very French... a bit camp and over-the-top, but it definitely has a heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - earth days

I finally came to enjoy it, it's grown in me a lot; it's funny to observe how the mellow parts of LOST = earth days (sounds like expanded leftovers from the afore mentioned) and the agreesive ones = LET ME IN, both of those not as inspired as the former though; Still i am sure if i wasn't a fan of Lost in the first place, i'd play this only once and then forget about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ah, good, I am glad someone else enjoys it. Of course it's not as good as Lost, but few things are!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, very true what you're saying here. It's got a wonderful, tender main theme in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LES CHORISTES | bruno coulais & christophe barratier (lyrics and some songs)

Woow, there's only lovely melodies on this one. It's so likeable and full of spirit! 'Caresse sur l'océan' is just wonderful, as is the main theme and its song 'Vois sur le Chemin'. Or 'Cerf-volant'. love

DOCTOR WHO season 5 | murray gold

CD1 does not contain much interesting material, although the track 'The Greats of Past Time' is actually very good. But it's the second CD that makes this set worth the money. Going through all themes of the previous seasons, in more epic proportions, with a grand build-up to the finale: Four Knocks and Vale Decem. punk
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Is there more Arnold/Barry inspired stuff?
  5. Aliens - James Horner

It'd be great to hear Horner go balls-out on a movie again like he did with this score. I always loved his action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of his finest scores. Thank goodness for the expanded release. Such a great listen!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Windtalkers - James Horner

Wow. This score does not get half the attention it deserves. Talk about underrated...
    • CommentAuthormirdle
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Windtalkers - James Horner

Wow. This score does not get half the attention it deserves. Talk about underrated...

Agreed. In fact one could make the same statement about any Horner score. The dude composes awesome stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    mirdle wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Agreed. In fact one could make the same statement about any Horner score. The dude composes awesome stuff.

Even Thunderheart?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Aliens - James Horner

It'd be great to hear Horner go balls-out on a movie again like he did with this score. I always loved his action music.

It don't get much better! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote
    mirdle wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Even Thunderheart?

I really like Thunderheart, it has cool atmosphere. Sadly it was overshadowed by the weaker Patriot Games (basically a rehash).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I find Thunderheart unlistenable, I'll take Patriot Games over it everytime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sadismo from Les Baxter. Percussion galore
    listen to more classical music!
  8. sdtom wrote
    Sadismo from Les Baxter. Percussion galore

I wondered if you'd get this title to review, Tom!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm 9 for 9 on his last nine releases. I'm truly amazed at what he can do with such a small orchestra. His scores don't sound low budget at all.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I'm 9 for 9 on his last nine releases. I'm truly amazed at what he can do with such a small orchestra. His scores don't sound low budget at all.
    Thomas

Good composers can do that.
  9. Been getting into FSM's "Star Trek: The Next Generation" box; make it to CD4, at "Skin of Evil".

Making notes of the best cues, will then eventually rip those and put them in a listening order.

Surprised at how, so far, a lot of the scoring sounds the same early on (I know he changed later on). Same ideas, motif styles, echoing shakers and what not. And some rather weak orchestration early on. And no one feed me the line of a small orchestra -- I've watched plenty of TV from the original Twilight Zone's to the last season of "Dexter" -- I know a composer can accomplish a lot with a small orchestra.

I really wish he had used real instruments sometimes, instead of the synth he would switch out (for french horn or what have you); it was a little too cheesy sometimes.

Anyway, that all aside, I enjoy his rythmic devices and the repeating ostinatos. That repeating ostinato when Lore has poisoned Data's biochemical insides, from "Datalore" -- love it; the repeating ostinato when the children are being kidnapped by way of beaming, off the Enterprise unexpectedly (I forget the episode name) -- love it.

I even love the cheesy, yet surprisingly effective synth female blurts in "Skin of Evil".

I'm thinking probably a three of four CD compilation when done.

I still don't understand why "The Best of Both Worlds" was left off; yes, I know it was some kind of problem with GNP holding the rights, but ... they also released most of the score to "Heart of Glory" themselves, and FSM included every note GNP released, so ... what's up with that? Why would the rights be any different to one episode score and another?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I find Thunderheart unlistenable, I'll take Patriot Games over it everytime.

I'm not a great fan of Patriot Games (though it works very well in the film) and even less a fan of Thunderheart (same proviso).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Been getting into FSM's "Star Trek: The Next Generation" box; make ti to CD4, at "Skin of Evil".

Making notes of the best cues, will then eventually rip those and put them in a listening order.

Surprised at how, so far, a lot of the scoring sounds the same early on (I know he changed later on). Same ideas, motif styles, echoing shakers and what not. And some rather weak orchestration early on. And no one feed me the line of a small orchestra -- I've watched plenty of TV from the original Twilight Zone's to the last season of "Dexter" -- I know a composer can accomplish a lot with a small orchestra.

I really wish he had used real instruments sometimes, instead of the synth he would switch out (for french horn or what have you); it was a little too cheesy sometimes.

Anyway, that all aside, i enjoy his rythmic devices and the repeating ostinatos. That repeating ostinato when Lore has poisoned Data's biochemical insides, from "Datalore" -- lvoe it; the repeating ostinato when hte children are being kidnapped by way of beaming, off the Enterprise unexpectedly (I forget the episode name) -- love it.

I even love the cheesy, yet surprisingly effective synth female blurts in "Skin of Evil".

I'm thinking probably a three of four CD compilation when done.

I still don't understand why "The Best of Both Worlds" was left off; yes, I know it was some kind of problem with GNP holding the rights, but ... they also release most of the score to "Heart of Glory" themselves, and FSM included every note GNP released, so ... what's up with that? Why would the rights be any different to one episode score and another?

I'd check out the thread at FSM about illegal downloads, Lukas is even threatening to quit.

I'd link it but I can't get FSM access at the moment? confused
  10. NP: Big Wednesday (Poledouris)

I tend to skip through to the more emotional tracks. The action music and fanfare stuff, but he's still finding his way as a composer, and had some way to go. But the main emotional theme is stirring stuff.

Also this morning: Tadlow's Lawrence of Arabia. (Which is predictably great, but like a lot of complete scores, can you take it all in one hit? Still, if any score can manage it, this one can. Makes me wonder what Maurice Jarre's Lord of the Rings would have sounded like. wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010 edited
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

Gorgeous album, mellow, laid back jazz, perfect late night listening. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    Baxter Baxter Baxter