• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sherlock Holmes and Inception for sure, was anything else released quite recently?

In Cd? or Digital Download?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    5.1 is for watching cinematic features, not listening to music. Very few titles have been mastered in 5.1
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Can you rip movies and scores in 5.1? hihihihi
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited
    Yeah, with awful quality and sfx.

The .1 (subwoofer, lfe, low frequency channel) in 5.1, 7.1 (and variations) home cinema systems was never intended to do anything else than simply reproduce the low frequency basses, sound effects and swooshes of cinematic features. Listening to music on that one (especially classical, film or orchestral music) will reinforce certain low frequencies and will unbalance the mix far away from what it was intended to sound like and eventually disturb you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited
    I'm watching 2 movies..

Indiana Jones and temple of the Doom in my original DVD

And

Revenge of the sith in a AC3. 5.1 Rip.

I'm trying to see the diference.

(I know, it could be better if I tried the same movie :P )

PS: by the way, the subwoofer in zimmer scores really hurts me...:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    and eventually disturb you.

Unless you are a basshead wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or listening to electronica, dance, techno etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : POLTERGEIST - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. christopher wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Black Stallion Returns - Georges Delerue

This score has one of the best main themes that Delerue ever wrote which is lyrical, soaring and adventurous. The secondary themes are very good also. The complete score has a bit of tribal/rough edge underscore which contrasts the lyrical themes. One highlight is the choral added "Race Finale".

This sounds great. I need to look into it.

I most recently played Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events, by Thomas Newman.

It's a pretty eclectic little album, but man I love that penultimate track.

If you only casually interested, try to get the double header Prometheus album 'Black Stallion/Black Stallion Returns'.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : L'AVION - Gabriel Yared

Stunningly beautiful score, melancholic and dream like, I love it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Memories of Me - Georges Delerue

Very enjoyable jazz highlights in the score mixed with lyrical Delerue romanticism makes for a fun 30 minute album (perfect length for this type of material).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cristian wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

One of my favorite Howard scores.

-Erik-

Great score by JNH. I love the theme, the action music and the slow moments.

I don't actually own this and looked for it on Amazon and came across this rather strange-looking download album. It has the same track listing as the CD... but is it really it or not?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Film-Soundtrack … amp;sr=8-1
  3. NP: Le cinèma de Michel Legrand (4 cd compilation)

cool

A real tunesmith. A shame that so few of his scores are released on cd.
  4. Southall wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

One of my favorite Howard scores.

-Erik-

Great score by JNH. I love the theme, the action music and the slow moments.

I don't actually own this and looked for it on Amazon and came across this rather strange-looking download album. It has the same track listing as the CD... but is it really it or not?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Film-Soundtrack … amp;sr=8-1

It's the same music as the "proper" release but the quality of this version is a lot worse.

Go with this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Postman-Music-M … p;sr=301-2

I would have bought the score tracks if I could have without bing forced to buy the songs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. A side-by-side comparison of the audioclips of both The Postman scores shows up the poor quality of the Carinco AG version. Even though I could have bought the score-only tracks here the quality is too poor to justify a purchase.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Le cinèma de Michel Legrand (4 cd compilation)

cool

Compared to some composers I would say quite a lot of Legrand's scores have been released. That IS a great 4 CD set cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Zimmer music is annoying with the Home Cinema!...Williams is a God!!!

shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yay he's finally figured it out!
  6. Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

cool

Compared to some composers I would say quite a lot of Legrand's scores have been released. That IS a great 4 CD set cool

Of course he has more scores released than some more unknown composers, but not nearly every good one he's done. Maybe 30 of almost 200 films are released.

Can't wait to get the Jarre and the Delerue sets. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

Even At world's End doesn't sound as good I thought. Subwoofer really is damaged by Hans!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

cool

Of course he has more scores released than some more unknown composers, but not nearly every good one he's done. Maybe 30 of almost 200 films are released.

Can't wait to get the Jarre and the Delerue sets. beer

The Delerue set is superb! I've yet to get the Jarre set.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Even At world's End doesn't sound as good I thought. Subwoofer really is damaged by Hans!

If you are using one of your receiver's presets to do the 5.1, try turning off the setting called "Double Bass" or whatever it is called that sends bass to your subwoofer but keeps it in the front channels too. Also try turning your subwoofer volume down a bit. I've spent far too much time playing with my setup until I got something that sounds pleasantly powerful but not overwhelming.

But yes, Williams scores always seems to have the most clarity and power in their drum recordings, for some reason.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS : THE PHANTOM MENACE - John Williams

Definitely the best of the prequal scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: ZULU - John Barry

A personal favorite Barry score. Has been ever since I was a teenager. Short but what a theme!

Also played High Road To China. A rollicking, fun ride!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011
    Atham wrote
    NP: ZULU - John Barry

A personal favorite Barry score. Has been ever since I was a teenager. Short but what a theme!

Also played High Road To China. A rollicking, fun ride!

A short score, fantastic theme, one of the very best ever, and a darn good film too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011 edited
    NP : THE WHISPERERS - John Barry

A very minimal score. the film is good too if a tad depressing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: AMERICAN BEAUTY - THOMAS NEWMAN

I love how Newman's trademark style can feel so experimental and yet at the same time sound meticulously polished and detailed. You can tell every note is there for a reason. Of course this is the score that got that noticed in the mainstream and there's some lovely moments in it. I just wish Angela Undress was longer. Gorgeous piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Now on to...

NP: JOSH AND S.A.M. - THOMAS NEWMAN

This seemingly little known about score (don't know about the film) from 1993 offers more of the same, structurally, with a few typical Newman rhythmic passages balanced by more reflective and haunting pieces. All very enjoyable overall.
  7. Doctor Who: Series 4 - Murray Gold

My first Murray Gold score, and I am interested to hear more after listening to this!