• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011 edited
    I'm not interested in HGW's score, he's a good wallpaper composer and nothing more.

The film, on the other hand, does intrigue me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The movie is pretty bad i hear.

So is the score. Far, very far from Prince of Persia. Cowboys and Aliens is Gregson-Williams on autopilot and sleep mode.

You've seen the movie as well? Harry tends to deliver music that is on par with, if not better than the movie its' accompanying, and C&A has a pretty good theme. There seems to be a lot of "underscore"/suspense material however. The action material is protoypical HGW style, of the recent years, so if you don't like it before, it's not gonna change your opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    Pleasantville - Randy Newman

Beautiful, warm-hearted Americana.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    Define Dancing - Thomas Newman

Simply gorgeous....
    Robinson
  1. Robinson wrote
    Define Dancing - Thomas Newman

Simply gorgeous....

I prefer "The Axiom". That 2-3 minute piece is among his best, which says a lot, given The Shawshank Redemption, Road to Perdition, Cinderella Man...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011 edited
    I love Wall-E but I don't remember which The Axiom was... it's hard to remember all the track titles of Thomas Newman scores... wink

NP: Welcome To Dongmakgol - Joe Hisaishi

A Korean movie scored by Hisaishi. I enjoyed the movie a lot, which is something Miyazaki Hayao would make, but in live-action. So Hisaishi score fits very well biggrin

Probably anyone who likes Spirited Away or The Legend of Four Gods will like this score too... or Kikujiro, or Totoro... it has all of them. I mean it's very Hisaishi overall wink

Here's the beautiful theme track, featuring Hisaishi's daughter Mai.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAxGtcUTtKw
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Star Trek: Nemesis Goldsmith

I adore this album from beginning to end, definitely my favourite Next Generation score and perhaps even my favourite Goldsmith Trek score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    John Chambers wrote
    Star Trek: Nemesis Goldsmith

I adore this album from beginning to end, definitely my favourite Next Generation score and perhaps even my favourite Goldsmith Trek score.

shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Frontiers Goldsmith

A perfect album as far as I'm concerned, every track is wonderful so it's hard to single out great tracks but boy does the RSNO make the 'Twilight Zone overture' really sing and 'Star Trek: Voyager' soar. I don't think I'll ever tire of this disc, I really miss varese's re-recordings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    John Chambers wrote
    Frontiers Goldsmith

A perfect album as far as I'm concerned, every track is wonderful so it's hard to single out great tracks but boy does the RSNO make the 'Twilight Zone overture' really sing and 'Star Trek: Voyager' soar. I don't think I'll ever tire of this disc, I really miss varese's re-recordings.

One of my all time favorite re-recordings.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=787

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Star Trek: Nemesis Goldsmith

shocked

I'll double that! shocked shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Captain America Silvestri

Really enjoying this, the action material is great fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer... we are on John's ignore list! wink

-Erik-
  5. Did I just hear something? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Did I just hear something? wink

Yes, one of Jerry Goldsmith's poorest Star Trek scores! wink
  6. Checkmate, I feel!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Indeed! Touché Tim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Did I just hear something? wink

Yes, one of Jerry Goldsmith's poorest Star Trek scores! wink

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Indeed! Touché Tim.

smile beer

I should point out that I do like NEMESIS, even poor JG ( IM subjective O ) is better than a lot of composers on their very best days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not with Nemesis he wasn't.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I liked it. Not as much as John, but I liked it.

As an aside - he wrote it while undergoing chemo. I've seen people close to me have to go through that and know how absolutely horrific it is - while of course that would not be a reason for liking it, the thought that he was able to come up with anything at all, let alone something as good (in my opinion, anyway) as Nemesis while going through such an ordeal is just awe-inspiring to me.
  8. When it comes to works written on chemo...

I still haven't heard Doyle's Great Expectations...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. For anyone interested, I posted some comments on recent 10 tracks.

Some obscure stuff indeed: tracks from game scores, scores from foreign films by foreign composers and Alan Williams' Icy Killers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Agnes of God - Georges Delerue

One of the more moving film scores.
  10. I also have time for NEMESIS. And to those who don't: 'These aren't the droids you're looking for.'
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011
    Musica Da Film - Nino Rota

This magnificent compilation conducted by Riccardo Muti is one of the finest film music albums I've ever heard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Agnes of God - Georges Delerue

One of the more moving film scores.

I think it's utterly stunning!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Musica Da Film - Nino Rota

This magnificent compilation conducted by Riccardo Muti is one of the finest film music albums I've ever heard.

Not heard it. Want to.
  11. Miya wrote
    I love Wall-E but I don't remember which The Axiom was... it's hard to remember all the track titles of Thomas Newman scores... wink

The piece that played during Wall-E's journey through space to the spaceship. The perfect union of music and image.
  12. The Thin Red Line Zimmer

An astounding piece of work, I love much of Zimmer's work but in my opinion nothing comes anywhere close to the genius of this.