• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Too much good music.

RP: The Devil's Double - Christian Henson

Not a good listening experience.

Considering the subject matter I'm not surprised. Is there no redemption in the score?

Is it any similar to BLACK DEATH? 'Cause i love what he did with that dark score there.

God no! Though this may be one of those titles that a lot of people will like and I just don't (from the few reviews I have read so far.)

It's a mix of different styles: Middle Eastern influences, fully orchestrated passages, "trance", driving percussion. I didn't like the style of it all. And a large number of tracks that makes the whole a very tiring and a bit of an endurance test to get to the end.

I may do a review just to have a rant!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The score has yet to be released. IMO, this is something that would fit perfectly in Mikael's MovieScore Media catalogue! Once I get out of this busy spell I'm under I'm hoping to feature the score on my radio show. But until then head over to http://mdobrowolski.com/index.php/showcase/ to hear samples from the score and help get the word out about this impressive work from a composer who I hope to hear more from.

-Erik-

Exactly; urged Maciek and Pawel to contact him some months ago, don't know where this went though.

Nowhere, we sent the promo after hearing of initial interest and literally no response ever since.

Even a prod on Facebook did nothing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. PawelStroinski wroteNowhere, we sent the promo after hearing of initial interest and literally no response ever since.

Even a prod on Facebook did nothing.

I sent a PM to Maciek about a possibility of having his music on StreamingSoundTracks.Com. I really think our members would like to hear it.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011
    NP: EARTHQUAKE (John Williams)

Probably my favourite of his disaster movie scores -- from cool jazz to suspense music that doesn't grate too much. "Miles on Wheels" is awesome.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote

Probably my favourite of his disaster movie scores -- from cool jazz to suspense music that doesn't grate too much. "Miles on Wheels" is awesome.

I'm glad you like it Thor, I think it's a great score, superb main title theme and I love the lounge arrangement on a later track ( The City Sleeps? I haven't got the CD to hand ) and yeah, 'Miles on Wheels' is funky.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm glad you like it Thor, I think it's a great score, superb main title theme and I love the lounge arrangement on a later track ( The City Sleeps? I haven't got the CD to hand ) and yeah, 'Miles on Wheels' is funky.

Yeah, nice track, playing now (not really lounge, more of a symphonic, slow theme).

The film is really bad, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah, nice track, playing now (not really lounge, more of a symphonic, slow theme).

The film is really bad, though.

I remember loving the film when it came out. My dad took us to see it and it must have been one of the first films of this type I had seen on the big screen. I still remember how cool I thought the scene where the guy smoking the cigarette walks into the gas-filled house and it explodes was when I saw it.

The score to Earthquake is something that I haven't heard except as part of compilation featuring the main theme and the love theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It has a young Victoria Principal braless in a T-shirt and THAT makes the film a classic!

FACT! biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    It has a young Victoria Principal braless in a T-shirt and THAT makes the film a classic!

FACT! biggrin wink

...walking on wobbly ground! smile

I actually didn't know who that was, so I had to google her up. She was certainly hot back in the day, but looks like another one of those Hollywood silicon freaks today.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know! slant

Why WHY WHY? Do these people mutilate/morph themselves into grotesque caricatures of themselves.
  5. Timmer wrote

FACT! biggrin wink

You mean THAT T-shirt?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin lick beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

Probably my favourite too. Poseidon Adventure never did anything for me and Towering Inferno is only OK in patches. (Are there any others?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    POSEIDON ADVENTURE does have a fabulous theme, I play that often but rarely play the rest of it. TOWERING INFERNO is similar, brilliant main titles and a few good tracks, again, I rarely play it beyond those fantastic main titles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Probably my favourite too. Poseidon Adventure never did anything for me and Towering Inferno is only OK in patches. (Are there any others?)

No, not unless you consider JAWS and WAR OF THE WORLDS disaster movies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I've been enjoying listening to more and more scores these days now working at home. I love it!

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) - Bernard Herrmann
    Fantastic score. Great fan of the Prologue. Herrmann does a great job it creating an atmospheric, center of the earth feeling score.

The Desert Rats (1953) - Leigh Harline
    The Desert Rats: "The Campbells Are Coming" (Old Scotch Air)
    Though the Desert Rats makes up only approx. 15 minutes of the Fixed Bayonets album, all 15 minutes are incredible. Waltzing Matilda can never come up too often for me. Throw in that, some Greensleves, military drum core, and badpipes, I am all in.
    Not to mention that the Desert Rats is one of my favorite war films. I just might need to watch that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ELEVENTH HOUR (John Williams)

This episode score from a show I hadn't even heard of was a big surprise to me when it was released last year, on the FSM Omnibus set. Typical crime jazz stuff with some dissonant textures.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes by Patrick Doyle.

It has good thematic development (not strong and obvious like an 70s/80s score) but good nonetheless.
    It's not in the same inventivley weird style of the original Goldsmith version obviously.
    It's quite straight forward but done well.
    A good listen I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011 edited
    Wow, Doyle is just the man this year.
    Listen to "Jig" if you can get past the scary album art, its got some really interesting unique orchestra/electronic melds, and a climactic 7 minute track that's as good as anything Doyle's composed, kind of somewhere between Zimmer's climactic cue from "Everlasting Piece" and Doyle's own "Snow In August" from Nanny McPhee. Could be my favorite cue of the year...it builds and builds the drama-tension for 5 minutes and then bursts out into gorgeous melodic bliss.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. For me, Apes sounds much more better than Thor. It has a much more orchestral sound, the African influence reminds me of District 9 and not too much of Zimmer.

NP: The Yards - Howard Shore

Nice to hear a non-LOTR side of Shore. A very lush, emotional score.
  7. yonythemoony wrote

Nice score indeed I put a track in the queue.

----

NP on SST: Twister - End Title / Respect The Wind - Edward & Alex Van Halen
  8. SiriusCreations wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

Nice score indeed I put a track in the queue.

----

NP on SST: Twister - End Title / Respect The Wind - Edward & Alex Van Halen

In Youtube, there's a video of a orchestra playing music from the film, with a small arrangement of Respect The Wind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvfSZKdd … re=related (right at 3:48).
  9. Here the complete one (I posted that one a 3 weeks ago on the maintitles facebook)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYP83fGdoN4
  10. NP on SST: Rob Roy - Rannoch Moor Suite - Carter Burwell

See Rob Roy Giveaway thread. PM me today to get a chance to win the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EMPIRE OF THE SUN (John Williams)

This film and score don't get enough credit!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: EMPIRE OF THE SUN (John Williams)

This film and score don't get enough credit!

yeah
  11. Klaus Badelt - The Promise

Possibly his best score - beautiful themes, great orchestrations, still sometimes at home with Hans Zimmer's work (I think he was still part of RCP at the time), but works very well on its own. The performance by Chinese National Symphony Orchestra is great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Klaus Badelt - The Promise

Possibly his best score - beautiful themes, great orchestrations, still sometimes at home with Hans Zimmer's work (I think he was still part of RCP at the time), but works very well on its own. The performance by Chinese National Symphony Orchestra is great.

A very enjoyable score, great theme too.
  12. A largely forgotten work, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I haven't forgotten it! :D
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!