• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    johnbijl wrote
    I just did a Mission:Impossible marathon while writing.

I started of with Lalo, still as funky as the day it was recorded. Elfman's score is one of my favorite albums ever! The music is to big for any film, but as a cd it is vivacious! With Zimmer I'm not sure what's going on. I like the first rock-track, but because of the rock. As for the rest, it sounds like bad Schlager doing exotics.

And now Giacchino's. Nice album, well functioning score. The lack of front bench themes make it a score tough to get behind. I can see its benefits. It just doesn't engage me. If you now what I mean.

Did you listen to Silvestri's rejected M:I1 score, too?

Elfman's score is one my y personal absolute favorites by him; indeed, I would say it's easy a Top 10 score by him.

I skipped Silvestri's. I'm planning a Silvestri marathon soon (lots of writing to do!) and it will be in there. Funny thing is, I heard Silvestri got fired because of his music being to up front. The irony is that Elfman's score takes over the picture at times in cues like Biblical Revelation and the Zoom tracks. Not that I'm complaining about the latter.
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't care for Silvestri's M:I score. Pretty much the same ostinato repeated over and over again. He reused the thematic material in ERASER, which - if you own it - should give you a clue.

I really disliked Elfman's M:I back in the day, and actually sold my album. But when I became a completist, I had to buy it all over again, and this time I discovered lots of interesting details in it. It's still not a favourite of mine, and it really started the whole contrapuntal, complex writing of his, but I'm not selling it this time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS: EWOKS (Peter Bernstein/John Williams)

Scores for the two Ewok films that were made in the wake of STAR WARS' success. They're pretty good, but quite standard orchestral adventure fare with little originality. Williams' themes occur every now and then, in brief cameos.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Unless Arnold steps down HE is the Bond composer no matter who directs the film!

-Erik-

Either that or Barbara & Michael decide he goes, they call the shots. I don't see that happening though, they're obviously happy with what he does.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011 edited
    NP: JOHN WILLIAMS CONDUCTS JOHN WILLIAMS - THE STAR WARS TRILOGY (uhm...John Williams)

The Skywalker Symphony compilation, which is IMO one of the best SW compilations around. Great sound too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I prefer Kojian's Star Wars album. I find surprisingly Williams' conducting very poor on the Skywalker album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I prefer Kojian's Star Wars album. I find surprisingly Williams' conducting very poor on the Skywalker album.

-Erik-

Yes, that's a good one and probably even a few notches better in terms of performance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think it wins hands down in performance, conducting, selection (Kojian's album had two previously unreleased tracks) and sound!

http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=940

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think it wins hands down in performance, conducting, selection (Kojian's album had two previously unreleased tracks) and sound!

http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=940

-Erik-

Yes, it's superb! i was a bit disappointed at the time that he didn't include the choral Luke/Vader duel music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And now we're into the scores proper, starting with the first film in a narrative sense:

NP: STAR WARS I: THE PHANTOM MENACE (John Williams)

Love this -- from the powerful "Duel of the Fates" to his recent action stylings. I remember when we heard it for the first time -- the unique mix of his old and new sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Recently Played: La Fille du Puisatier - Alexandre Desplat

Lovely little score. Could have used less of "Core ’ngrato" though. For a 41 minute album there's 4 tracks dedicated to this song. It gets annoying FAST! As for the rest of Desplat's score - all 24 minutes of it - it's goes by a little too quickly. As someone pointed out... I think in a review of the score somewhere... the first three tracks is really all you need. But overall, this is one of those rare Desplat score that I actually like. It's not going to appear on my Top 10 list but I will be more than happy to return to the album - minus "Core ’ngrato" - in the near future.

Please Alexandre, I beg you, score less Hollywood and more French independents.

-Erik-
  1. Nobody actually notices how close the La Fille du Puisatier theme is to Komeda's classic lullaby from Rosemary's Baby?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. johnbijl wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    johnbijl wrote
    I just did a Mission:Impossible marathon while writing.

I started of with Lalo, still as funky as the day it was recorded. Elfman's score is one of my favorite albums ever! The music is to big for any film, but as a cd it is vivacious! With Zimmer I'm not sure what's going on. I like the first rock-track, but because of the rock. As for the rest, it sounds like bad Schlager doing exotics.

And now Giacchino's. Nice album, well functioning score. The lack of front bench themes make it a score tough to get behind. I can see its benefits. It just doesn't engage me. If you now what I mean.

Did you listen to Silvestri's rejected M:I1 score, too?

Elfman's score is one my y personal absolute favorites by him; indeed, I would say it's easy a Top 10 score by him.

I skipped Silvestri's. I'm planning a Silvestri marathon soon (lots of writing to do!) and it will be in there. Funny thing is, I heard Silvestri got fired because of his music being to up front. The irony is that Elfman's score takes over the picture at times in cues like Biblical Revelation and the Zoom tracks. Not that I'm complaining about the latter.

But the best thing -- it doesn't overtake the picture in a bad way; it is a rare combo where score can grab you, can say, "Look at me!" and WORK. I am not of that mind that score has to take a back serat and shouldn't be noticed. I've read at least three composers say that. Can't recall their names, but I steadily disagree.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nobody actually notices how close the La Fille du Puisatier theme is to Komeda's classic lullaby from Rosemary's Baby?

Nope... but now that you have pointed it out.... :searches Google and YouTube for Rosemary's Baby theme:

EDIT - Erik's returns to MT after search!

omg

PLAGIARIST!!!!!!!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of the great film scores, beautiful score to a beautiful film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MIDNIGHT EXPRESS - Giorgio Moroder

A very enjoyable album.
    • CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    I've been in meetings all day. I haven't played anything sad

But tomorrow I'll be in the train for 3 1/2 hours! Any suggestions for a trip to the north? :D
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: THOR - Patrick Doyle

I finally watched this movie last week, a couple time, and this score went from just being a good score to an excellent audio accompaniment to the visual. There seem to be almost non stop scoring throughout, but it was never boring. Beside X-Men First Class, it was the few superhero score this year to be really thematic, and be melodically driven and yet still very trendy (with its RC-inspired stylings, natch!). One of the best score this year for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John,

LE TRAIN by philippe sarde?, michael nyman's MGV? Both are brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote

I finally watched this movie last week, a couple time, and this score went from just being a good score to an excellent audio accompaniment to the visual. There seem to be almost non stop scoring throughout, but it was never boring. Beside X-Men First Class, it was the few superhero score this year to be really thematic, and be melodically driven and yet still very trendy (with its RC-inspired stylings, natch!). One of the best score this year for me.

I liked the film a lot but thought the score was generic, perhaps I'll enjoy it more when I get the DVD?
  3. Here's another littlew bit of similarity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wduO6cbTh2w (0:10 to 0:15, the theme)

Then try this out -- composed before that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX03whkxKAM (4:39 to 4:42)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

I liked the film a lot but thought the score was generic, perhaps I'll enjoy it more when I get the DVD?

The fact that the score is so melodically driven saves it from being just another anonymous derivative. The movie certainly wasn't afraid to show off. The grand thematic passages works really well with the visuals of Asgard, especially.

The album is an excellent compilation. It has all the best moments from the movie. Though, now being a fan, I want to hear the WHOLE thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    Here's another littlew bit of similarity:

I have the Goldsmith album JUST for that GORGEOUS theme.

Georges Delerue stuff is generally great. I never got into his "darker" side though. Just like with Ennio Morricone, I just prefer his pretty European music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Here's another littlew bit of similarity:

I got so lost in the Delerue video I forgot I was on this board dizzy cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only played this the other day but i can never get enough of it...

NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    johnbijl wrote
    I've been in meetings all day. I haven't played anything sad

But tomorrow I'll be in the train for 3 1/2 hours! Any suggestions for a trip to the north? :D

How to train your dragon! I often play this on the airplane when I'm flying to and fro England. Very catchy, invigorating and can make any dull journey fun.

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    NP: Django!

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark - Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders

Beltrami back in horror/thriller mode? Yes please!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROBOCOP - Basil Poledouris

Been awhile since I played this great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES (John Williams)

Some of the action music doesn't do much for me, but there's some lovely lowkey stuff, like "Anakin and Padme". And of course, "Across the Stars" is one of the most beautiful love themes he has ever written.
    I am extremely serious.