• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Ola!

If Martijn had not have PM'd me, I would never have been the wiser!

But that would have been cheating. smile

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    At the end of the day, the emotion that is inherent in music is what works its magic.
    The technical merits of any work are of course interesting, but fall far short of any emotional impact as far as I'm concerned.

But, it sometimes seems that if it isn't original then it is no good.

It only ever really annoys me if there is either no difference (i.e. a straight lift, not just thematically, but also as far as instrumentation and mood are concerned), OR when it's unoriginal and worse than the source.

For the rest I honestly don't mind Horner's self-references, or McNeely sounding like Williams or Elfman doing a Gabriel, as long as it hits home. So basically I agree with you! smile

We aren't talking originality here, it's anyway rarely present nowadays. But works like CONAN or Wandmacher's / Haslinger's stuff, has no melody, no structure whatsoever, no themes, no coherency no nothing, just plain synths intermixed with murdered orchestras that make noise. Of course i don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion, esp. Alan.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    SQUANTO: A WARRIOR'S TALE - JOEL MCNEELY

Not half bad! I had heard the clips and hearing the full cues is even better. It's traditional adventure film scoring, from McNeely in his prime. I wasn't immediately taken by it on my first listen, but I can see this grow on me quickly. The exciting action music takes front and center, and the lovely theme stays with you, so there's no reason to not check it out if you like your scores a bit more 80s and 90s than 00s.

It's quite interesting to hear 'The Last of the Mohicans' in the middle part of track 16. smile

And I could swear I heard a lift of 'Henry V' in track 10.

didn't spot the influences, need to check it out again. But it's surely filmmusic from a long lost era. So we really need to cherish it

It's lovely, really!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    How to train your dragon - John Powell

Did anyone else notice the Randy Edelman touch in places? (with the constructs of the various themes, to me at least sound like Edelman)
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    SQUANTO: A WARRIOR'S TALE - JOEL MCNEELY

Not half bad! I had heard the clips and hearing the full cues is even better. It's traditional adventure film scoring, from McNeely in his prime. I wasn't immediately taken by it on my first listen, but I can see this grow on me quickly. The exciting action music takes front and center, and the lovely theme stays with you, so there's no reason to not check it out if you like your scores a bit more 80s and 90s than 00s.

It's quite interesting to hear 'The Last of the Mohicans' in the middle part of track 16. smile

And I could swear I heard a lift of 'Henry V' in track 10.

didn't spot the influences, need to check it out again. But it's surely filmmusic from a long lost era. So we really need to cherish it

It's lovely, really!

Oh it is, but it starts out splendidly, then I lose interest a bit during the second half. But it's still worth it IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited
    Great stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awcfFeuihYc

There's something Trevor Jonesy about that sweeping theme (Theme starts at 1:42).

Peter smile
  2. Some orchestral tracks from Nobuo Uematsu's FINAL FANTASY XIV, which are officially recorded concert versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cecPcbIJ5WE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Druc2wG3RDU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__hgNW2ZA4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNX6iOt5LA

MINDBLOWING & GORGEOUS!!!!! punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    Yeah, they tend to be quite fascinating, those final fantasy scores, at parts.
  3. As long as he goes the orchestral route, Uematsu is top stuff, the way he writes these big themes, beautiful melodies and darned exciting action pieces, I consider him to be the John Williams of japanese video game music. He really is among the best and most famous in the world. But many of his music originates from synths and he uses a lot of cheesy rock, so that's the part of him I tend to ignore.
  4. SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - JOHN WILLIAMS

Aaaahhh, the grand era of big sweeping emotional film scores. How lucky I am to be acquainted with it.

Two hours of non-stop brilliance and always brings joy and tears to my face.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - JOHN WILLIAMS

Aaaahhh, the grand era of big sweeping emotional film scores. How lucky I am to be acquainted with it.

Two hours of non-stop brilliance and always brings joy and tears to my face.

It certainly doesn't get much better than this score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. WARRIORS OF VIRTUE - DON DAVIS

The music invokes a certain 'spot the Horner influences' which makes this quite a fun listen.

Especially for a fan of The Horner.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR - Hugo Friedhofer

A great score, it's a shame there isn't a full recording of this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    NP: Frantic: Ennio Morricone

I could post on here a hundred times a day though. I have film music playing in my writing studio sometimes 16-18 hours a day and I seldom listen to a score all the way through.

Any of you have well over two thousand scores in your library? I used to buy buy buy and now I say every morning, what in the world am I a going to listen to to start off my day? That first selection is key. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    WARRIORS OF VIRTUE - DON DAVIS

The music invokes a certain 'spot the Horner influences' which makes this quite a fun listen.

Davis is strongly rumoured to have done some ghostwriting for Horner in the early 90s. When's this score from?
  6. Before The Matrix or right after.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Davis is strongly rumoured to have done some ghostwriting for Horner in the early 90s. When's this score from?

The liner notes say he composed this in 1996.
  8. Christian wrote
    NP: Frantic: Ennio Morricone

I could post on here a hundred times a day though. I have film music playing in my writing studio sometimes 16-18 hours a day and I seldom listen to a score all the way through.

Any of you have well over two thousand scores in your library? I used to buy buy buy and now I say every morning, what in the world am I a going to listen to to start off my day? That first selection is key. wink

I could never listen to film music all day long, as much as I love it. I have several genres of music I like equally so I mix and match whatever I want to hear that very moment. Or what I have on my portable player, which I take with me to work... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christian wrote

We are the same. beer I have about 2100 albums, I listen all day (except when I'm out or sleepiing) and I rarely play full scores, but play playlists or my entire collection on random. Life is good.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    plindboe wrote
    Christian wrote

We are the same. beer I have about 2100 albums, I listen all day (except when I'm out or sleepiing) and I rarely play full scores, but play playlists or my entire collection on random. Life is good.

Peter smile

Yeah I only have about 1000 because I am young and have only been collecting diligently for about 6 years, but I listen just as much.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

The liner notes say he composed this in 1996.

He did on one of those animated dino films.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011
    Scribe wrote
    Yeah I only have about 1000 because I am young and have only been collecting diligently for about 6 years, but I listen just as much.

1000 in 6 years is some mean collecting though. That's about a CD every second day. Talk about dedication. punk

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Scribe wrote

1000 in 6 years is some mean collecting though. That's about a CD every second day. Talk about dedication. punk

Peter smile

That's a lot! After my first 6 years of being into film music I'm not even sure if I had a 100 LP's? Availability was a very big issue back in those "bad" old days.

On the plus side I reckon that I knew every one of those albums from back to front and could name track titles blind, nowadays I have so much that when I hear a piece of music used in a TV program I think, oh, that's good, what is it? 10 minutes later I've just about identified it and realise I have it on CD.
  10. Very true Tim. Same experience for me. I remember hearing Elmer Bernstein's great title theme for Some Came Running and wondering if the score was available. Yes it was...FSM had released it. And I had it!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    THE MUSIC OF JAMES HORNER

Performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.

Only the first CD so far but what I'm hearing are pretty good to great renditions of much of my beloved Horners. The performances are different, yet sound close enough to the originals. The Mask of Zorro takes some getting used to, but I can live with it. On the other hand A Beautiful Mind is wonderful, as are the selections from Deep Impact, Apollo 13, Braveheart and Legends of the Fall. The passion in those tracks is very much present.

One huge fuck-up though... My Heart Will Go On sung by Helena Blackman is atrocious. She completely fouls the ball and her singing is totally without passion or emotion. This version sounds very pop-y to boot. Take it from someone who adores the Celine Dion version, skip it if you know what's good for you.

Will spin the second disc shortly. Should be even better with selections from his earlier work. smile
  11. BABY: SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Quirky 80s fun from the master. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Very true Tim. Same experience for me. I remember hearing Elmer Bernstein's great title theme for Some Came Running and wondering if the score was available. Yes it was...FSM had released it. And I had it!!

biggrin

Touch wood, I haven't bought the same CD twice..... yet. wink
  12. Me neither. Not in the same format though.

Star Wars on cassette, LP, LP equivalent on CD, RCA version on CD...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Me neither. Not in the same format though.

Star Wars on cassette, LP, LP equivalent on CD, RCA version on CD...

Most of us have done that ( depending on age re: cassettes etc wink )

I only ever bought one cassette of a score, that was a boot too, Morricone's CASUALTIES OF WAR, I bought it at a market in Thailand and ended up listening to it while jungle trekking cool

I think the score I've bought the most copies of is KRULL, I had the LP, the CD of the LP, the Southern Cross release with extra tracks and the big double CD release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Very true Tim. Same experience for me. I remember hearing Elmer Bernstein's great title theme for Some Came Running and wondering if the score was available. Yes it was...FSM had released it. And I had it!!

biggrin

Touch wood, I haven't bought the same CD twice..... yet. wink

I have! More than once. I believe I once bought the same CD twice from two different shops on the same day. D'oh!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Trevor Jones

There's 20 minutes of great large scale action music on the CD (mirroring Dark City). It's a shame about the rest of the score is somewhat formless and generic.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.