• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited
    Dances With Wolves- The Guvna'
    Goldeneye- Serra (Don't worry, thinking of moving to TMWTGG next. Have an itch to listening to both fun-house sequences. Incredible suspense! Done so effortlessly as well. Few can accomplish that as well as Barry.)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012
    Just finished The Changeling - Wannberg/Wilkins/Blake

Long but consistently interesting, mostly orchestral horror score. Been wanting to see the film for years too.

Just starting on The Time Machine - Russell Garcia
  1. THE BEST OF JOHN SCOTT

One of the most amazing compilations ever put together. punk

Not for sale though, it was put together by Thomas, who apparently is a bit of a John Scott fan.

Nearly 80 minutes of splendid themes and melodies from a bygone era. Scary I've never heard most of this music before in my life.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Listening to a bit of Joel McNeely's music from his score to Soldier. I had forgotten how good tracks such as Soldier Ships Arrive" is: a solid action piece with a good driven feel to it. Good percussion rhythms and brass makes for an exciting listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    5th day of listening to iTunes on shuffle now. It's still a rewarding and eclectic experience, and a reminder of how much diverse music I've got. But eventually, I'll go back to a normal 'album' listening modus.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Thor wrote
    5th day of listening to iTunes on shuffle now. It's still a rewarding and eclectic experience, and a reminder of how much diverse music I've got. But eventually, I'll go back to a normal 'album' listening modus.

I have been in iTunes shuffle mode for quite some time - and still enjoying it. But it is good to get back to listening to albums for review.

Eclectic is nice: Chris Tilton, Joel McNeely, Akira Ifukube, Alfred Newman, John Williams & Adolph Deutsch so far this morning.

Just waiting to see if I can chalk up a cue to make my 900th composer on last.fm list before lunch...but it doesn't look likely!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just waiting to see if I can chalk up a cue to make my 900th composer on last.fm list before lunch...but it doesn't look likely!

Ah, lunchtime!

Daniel Alcheh is my 900th composer "scrobbled" on my last.fm list. The furious Baroque track "The Dagger: Reprise" from The Man Who Collected Food was the track for anyone keeping score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I have been in iTunes shuffle mode for quite some time - and still enjoying it. But it is good to get back to listening to albums for review.

Eclectic is nice: Chris Tilton, Joel McNeely, Akira Ifukube, Alfred Newman, John Williams & Adolph Deutsch so far this morning.

Nice!

I have my entire collection on shuffle, which means that I go from Rammstein to John Williams to ABBA to gregorian music to Bruce Springsteen to James Horner to Lalo Schifrin to Paul Oakenfold to Vic Mizzy to Juno Reactor to Erich Wolfgang Korngold to a-ha and so on.

Fun! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha...and like now - directly from Oingo Boingo's punk/ska-style "Who Do You Want To Be?" to Jean-Henry D'Anglebert's baroque "Pièces de Clavecin" (pieces for harpschicord).

Only in iTunes shuffle! :D
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Nice!

I have my entire collection on shuffle, which means that I go from Rammstein to John Williams to ABBA to gregorian music to Bruce Springsteen to James Horner to Lalo Schifrin to Paul Oakenfold to Vic Mizzy to Juno Reactor to Erich Wolfgang Korngold to a-ha and so on.

Fun! smile

At the moment I only use iTunes for my film music favourites. I would love to have everything playing through iTunes but I think that I need to sit down and think how it can be organised. At the moment, since I only have my favourites in my iTunes library, everything is selected using the "soundtrack" genre tag. If I included everything (including complete scores) the "pop songs" wound be separate but the complete scores would be collected with my current favourites list as these are all labelled "soundtrack" too.

So, I need to re-tag my current favourites differently so that they can remain separate! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to a bit of Joel McNeely's music from his score to Soldier. I had forgotten how good tracks such as Soldier Ships Arrive" is: a solid action piece with a good driven feel to it. Good percussion rhythms and brass makes for an exciting listen.

That score would have been perfect in a Matrix film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. McNeely has had several action scoring gems that surely suggests he should be getting more of that kind of film more regularly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Treasure Planet - James Newton Howard

Today I watched this very underrated Disney movie for the second time. And probably underrated score? I love it. smile

I don't like how the album (and the movie musically) ends, but it's not his fault...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    Just finished The Changeling - Wannberg/Wilkins/Blake

Long but consistently interesting, mostly orchestral horror score. Been wanting to see the film for years too.

Just starting on The Time Machine - Russell Garcia

The Time Machine is one of my all time favourite golden age scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    THE BEST OF JOHN SCOTT

One of the most amazing compilations ever put together. punk

Not for sale though, it was put together by Thomas, who apparently is a bit of a John Scott fan.

Nearly 80 minutes of splendid themes and melodies from a bygone era. Scary I've never heard most of this music before in my life.

haha, good you acknowledge that.
    Yes this is an easy 5 star score, but considering there have been very few ratings on the Scott scores here, I'm gonna change that in the next few days. I'm gonna make sure everyone on this board heard the brilliance of John Scott
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Avengers - Alan Silvestri

Only slightly better than Captain America, which isn't saying much, however Captain America has the better theme. Both are let downs.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Only slightly better than Captain America, which isn't saying much, however Captain America has the better theme. Both are let downs.

-Erik-

The theme is... okay. I suppose? It's a shame there isn't more obvious nods to the Captain America theme throughout the score, it would at least elevate it to something a little more interesting.

Still, it's not offensively bad like Jablonsky's sound effects for Battleship. (I'm hesitant to call it music.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The theme is... okay. I suppose? It's a shame there isn't more obvious nods to the Captain America theme throughout the score, it would at least elevate it to something a little more interesting.

Still, it's not offensively bad like Jablonsky's sound effects for Battleship. (I'm hesitant to call it music.)

I like THe Avengers theme more that Caps, not really impressed with the rest of the score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Steven wrote

Someone over at Filmtracks said: this isn't film scoring anymore, it's sound design.

I've heard about 10 minutes of Battleshit and that's about all I could cope. It was 9 minutes too much even...

At least Silvestri stays true to his orchestral roots, even though it's far removed from his Predator and Back to the Future days. Talking about CA here, I haven't heard The Avengers yet.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh... another thing. Silvestri should stop attempting to add in "modern" elements into his scores. His electronics and drum loops are horribly outdated.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Someone over at Filmtracks said: this isn't film scoring anymore, it's sound design.

I've heard about 10 minutes of Battleshit and that's about all I could cope. It was 9 minutes too much even...

At least Silvestri stays true to his orchestral roots, even though it's far removed from his Predator and Back to the Future days. Talking about CA here, I haven't heard The Avengers yet.

Here's THE THEME Gilles. Why it has to be called Avengers Assemble for the UK is stoopid.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IMO it's better than Captain America's theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Here's THE THEME Gilles. Why it has to be called Avengers Assemble for the UK is stoopid.

Because they don't want people confusing it with a remake of the 60's TV series.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    IMO it's better than Captain America's theme.

Why? To me The Avengers theme sounds like the left overs from Volcano meets some really bad 80's electronics left over from The Delta Force with some lazy string ontinatos and limp percussion. There's ZERO energy.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Because I like it more! Simples!!!
  7. Sounds decent enough I guess. But what will the rest sound like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

To each our own but what is it for you that makes The Avengers theme better? <-- see what I did there? tongue

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To Gilles:-

Generic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

To each our own but what is it for you that makes The Avengers theme better? <-- see what I did there? tongue

-Erik-

What, you want me to break it down? No can do. You'll just have to accept that it's purely my opinion. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... why not? It's the exact same question you asked of Thor and he broke is love of Edward Scissorhands for you.

-Erik-