• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2013
    NP: iTunes shuffle from my favorite score tracks list

Again for some weeks, I've drifted away from film score, except some bunny highlights. I need to recover from addiction on RENT musical songs (I can't believe how addictive these songs are... is it because this show/movie features some drug-addict characters? dizzy ).

So I'm shuffling to search for what to listen. iTunes just played a track from E.T... maybe that'll be what I'm playing tonight. Or Balto.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. I think so, because of the rapid pace of the performance, the speed on it, it's just ferociously brilliant. And kudos to any player who could play it while not losing his lungs in the process...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. That post was to Timmer's question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

One of Williams' finest action scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    That post was to Timmer's question.

^ That's how you use the quote function. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I know wink

But I realized that Miya has written something after Timmer, I was thinking I was replying directly to him and putting the quote tags with a copy-paste would be too much of a fuss biggrin

Ennio Morricone - Mission to Mars

Haven't listened to it for ages, but who knows, there is a huge possibility that when I'll get to finally reading the Space Odyssey series by Arthur C. Clarke that might be exactly the music I'll be listening to!
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    I know wink

But I realized that Miya has written something after Timmer, I was thinking I was replying directly to him and putting the quote tags with a copy-paste would be too much of a fuss biggrin

Haven't listened to it for ages, but who knows, there is a huge possibility that when I'll get to finally reading the Space Odyssey series by Arthur C. Clarke that might be exactly the music I'll be listening to!

Arthur C. Clarke - 2010: Odyssey Two. NY (Del Rey) 1982 paperback edition. p. 238

Then who is speaking to me?
    I WAS DAVID BOWMAN

Floyd stared at the screen for a long time before making his next move. The joke, that hat never been funny in the first place, had gone too far. It was in the worst possible taste. Well this should fix whoever was on the other end of the line.

I cannot accept that identification without some proof.
    I UNDERSTAND. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU BELIEVE ME. LOOK BEHIND YOU.

Great scene in the book as well as in the film. In contrast to Floyd though I would have dropped dead.

smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I know wink

I'm sure I read somewhere that Morricone, when asked what film he would have liked to have scored said 2001 A Space Odyssey. And I know for a fact that John Barry said he wished he could have scored 2001. Both composers were at the height of their creative powers in the late 60's, it would have been interesting to hear what could have been written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think so, because of the rapid pace of the performance, the speed on it, it's just ferociously brilliant. And kudos to any player who could play it while not losing his lungs in the process...

Fair nuff! It might make for an iteresting thread, virtuoso performances in fim scores, and not just obvious ones like Pat Metheny or Yo Yo Ma.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I know wink

I'm sure I read somewhere that Morricone, when asked what film he would have liked to have scored said 2001 A Space Odyssey. And I know for a fact that John Barry said he wished he could have scored 2001. Both composers were at the height of their creative powers in the late 60's, it would have been interesting to hear what could have been written.

Whatever they had written, nothing could possibly surpass that temp track. Not North, not Barry, not even Morricone. Noone beats Richard Strauss, Johann Strauss and György Ligeti.
  6. Tonight it's Vangelis:

NP: Blader Runner, the third disc from the OST package with new music inspired by the film. I think this CD is hands down amazing.

Then: Chariots of Fire - The Stage Play Vangelis revisits his score after 30 years and comes up with what I find to be a terrific listen. I'd love to hear some of the new material in the film.

Volker
  7. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I know wink

Interesting, I was told that Barry was actually offered the score, but refused to do it. One day I'll have to buy The Man with Midas Touch and see about the 60s/70s. I also intend to buy the Jon Burlingame Bond book one day.

I wish I could buy Mission to Mars, but this score is so damn expensive right now that with my earnings I have to pass... Pity, because it has a huge possibility to become what I call a personal score for me.

On topic:

Hans Zimmer - Angels and Demons

The original CD came to me. It's just fun and nothing else. But a lot of fun at that
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Slipstream - Elmer Bernstein

One score we never thought would see the light of day! Awesome music!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's always a bit of a surprise to me when I see certain scores going for a heavy price. I just looked at Amazon and see that MISSION TO MARS is going for just under £20 at it's cheapest.

Barry was never offered 2001, I don't think Kubrick even wanted North.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN - John Barry

I thought I'd give this a blast, it's my least played Barry JB score, though he only had a couple of weeks to score it ( and I think it shows a bit ) it's still pretty good.
  8. The Master - Jonny Greenwood

This is brilliant. I think I like it more than There Will Be Blood.
  9. Ooh, I HATED that score (THE MASTER). I will stay far away from TWBB.

NP - THE LAST SIN EATER - Mark McKenzie.

I LIKE this score.
  10. Hans Zimmer - Frost/Nixon

One of my favourite Hans scores in recent years, also glad to see that it was very well received by the reviewing community (except Inception I think it got the best reviews from his last outings). Anybody liking a slightly modernized (should I say "slightly hip") minimalism should try it out. Timmer, try something out if you haven't heard it. I think it may suit you somewhat.

Great score to do research, it helps keep the mind going. It's not brimming with emotional intensity or something, it's just a restrained minimalist work featuring modern electronics, but not in an overly harsh version. Actually the score is almost purely electronic. Due to budgetary constraints Hans couldn't afford an orchestra to perform it and the whole score is on samples except a live solo cellist (Martin TIllman).

After listening to this I'll change the composer. I am very inclined to listen to a score that will make a lot of people happy and while I miss that wonderful melodic masterpiece, there is also a reason to listen to it from this forum. When I'll get to it, I'll say why.
  11. James Horner - In Country

I settled for this one. The restraint will also help in the work I am doing right now. Lovely themes, restrained emotions (and a ruined jewel case, sadly, I'll have to replace it...) and a final soar. What I love in film music.
  12. John Barry - Dances with Wolves

To be honest, what inspired me to listen to this (after a long period, like a few months) was Timmer listening to some of my all-time favourite works. Enough has been said about this beauty, so I won't add much more... It's a masterpiece, hands down.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2013
    cool beer
  13. Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

I love it too. One of my most personal scores with a beautiful soundscape. I wonder what would Southall think of this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

I love it too. One of my most personal scores with a beautiful soundscape. I wonder what would Southall think of this one.

I think pretty much everyone loves this one around here, although not everyone has it as their most personal TOP favourite of Zimmer's -- like you and me. Actually, now that I think of it, I think plindboe has it as his favourite too.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Funnily enough, it's a score that I really discovered since I bought the original copy. Then it suddenly after repeated listens become what I call a "personal score", something I get back to for more of a reason than just "being cool". There are quite a few of those by many composers. I could list John Williams' Memoirs of Geisha, obviously The Thin Red Line, Vangelis' Blade Runner, JNH's Snow Falling on Cedars for sure on that list, also Jerry Goldsmith's Russia House. Maybe, from Horner, In Country will join the list, because of it's restrained power.

This is music I have a very deep connection with on an emotional level and I think these are scores that say something about me. Pity Mission to Mars is out of print right now, that's definitely a score I'd like to discover more extensively.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2013 edited
    I feel the same way.

I bought it for practically nothing in a cutout bin in the late 90's, in the period I was exploring anything and everything film music. When I played it, I fell immediately in love with the exotic textures. I was aware of Zimmer at the time, and may in fact have owned a couple of albums (like THE ROCK and HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS), but this one connected with me on a whole other level.

It's not only my favourite Zimmer, it's currently my 5th favourite score of all time!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WANTED (Danny Elfman)

The song is awesome (especially the UNKLE remix), but the score is great too. Melodic and heroic with some cool synth grooves.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I feel the same way.

I bought it for practically nothing in a cutout bin in the late 90's, in the period I was exploring anything and everything film music. When I played it, I fell immediately in love with the exotic textures. I was aware of Zimmer at the time, and may in fact have owned a couple of albums (like THE ROCK and HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS), but this one connected with me on a whole other level.

It's not only my favourite Zimmer, it's currently my 5th favourite score of all time!

Do you have a 6th favourite and a 7th and a.............. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Bill Conti

Though it doesn't ( IMO ) beat Legrand's effort this is a really fine score from Conti, the film, on the other hand is better than the original though it does lack the towering charisma of the original films two leading stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

I really like it. One of my favourite Zimmers, certainly.
  15. christopher wrote
    Ooh, I HATED that score (THE MASTER). I will stay far away from TWBB.

Hmm, maybe a good idea. I'd say that The Master is a little warmer and more accessible than There Will Be Blood.