• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013 edited
    Bregt wrote
    MAN OF BICENTENNIAL | james horner

What some may consider silly, might in fact be true. But I will ignore those thoughts. Here's a man that is entirely of the metal Bicentennial, a substance that is harder then the syruppy music suggests. It's full of recognizable themes and tunes and wedding music. It was a long time ago I heard it but I think I will turn it off. Zimmer related scores are not always as good as the original source.

Very true Bregt.

NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry

I didn't know that Tom Everett who starred as a Sgt. Pepper in this film later appeared in the Hans Zimmer scored PEARL HARBOR. Astounding eh?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Bregt wrote
    In my continued quest to play Zimmer related scores:
    BAND OF BROTHERS | michael kamen

This is also what I'm playing now smile Good stuff. I really like those first three tracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013
    christopher wrote
    Bregt wrote
    In my continued quest to play Zimmer related scores:
    BAND OF BROTHERS | michael kamen

This is also what I'm playing now smile Good stuff. I really like those first three tracks.

Have you seen the series? It's brilliant, truly brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Oh my God, isn't it fantastic?!

I own the DVD and the score album!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Inception - Hans Zimmer

A great stand alone concert work. Not a very good film score.

-Erik-

shocked

I forgot just how good this album is! I think I need to revisit the film. Maybe my mind might change concerning the use of music with the images.

And like it or not... that BLAAAAAARGH shit is iconic! Too bad it's over used now because it was, IMO, something special when we first heard it. At least I think it was... wasn't it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Actually it came directly from slowing down the Edith Piaf song. When I was listening to it once it occured me that the Dream Is Collapsing theme is basically Non, je ne regrette rien filtered through John Barry's Bond sound.

When I asked Hans if I could treat Inception as his little Bond score, he said sure and mentioned OHMSS specifically.

If I ever had to start a discussion about the status of modern film music, I would mention the lack of understanding of original context of temp-tracked material as one of the reason of the problems the genre has at the moment. And my basic example would be, actually, John Powell's Bourne trilogy.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You met Zimmer?
  4. Steven wrote
    You met Zimmer?

face-palm-mt ^

NP: Inception - Hansi Zimmer

Almost a worthy descendant of Vangelis' Blade Runner

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Almost a worthy descendant of Vangelis' Blade Runner

Volker

I don't hear it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    You met Zimmer?

face-palm-mt ^

I'm surprised that he's never mentioned it before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer

Excellent!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Zimmer Scores - Hans Zimmer

[words]

-Erik-

Don't worry, Raiders of the Lost Ark will be waiting when you need to come up for air.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've been more than happy with my selections. Like Timmer pointed out above I'm playing these scores to remind me that Zimmer is actually a pretty darn good film composer and over the course of his career has written some memorable, creative, iconic and simply mind-blowing music for the silver screen. Too bad none of that is present in Man of Steel.

Of course, nothing will ever top my love for Raiders of the Lost Ark. :whip:

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    RAMBLING...

One thing that is so jarring about THE DARK KNIGHT score (album) is the contrast of styles between Zimmer and James Newton Howard. "Harvey-Two Face" is such an obvious James Newton Howard cue that it clashes with the established "Zimmeresque" sound. No matter how much percussion Howard brings into the piece can disguise the classic Howard orchestrations and chord progressions, which totally goes against the grain. Compositionally, it's wonderful but it doesn't necessarily fit what came before and after it. I like it on it's own but I kind wish Zimmer had of done these scores on his own.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    You met Zimmer?

face-palm-mt ^

I'm surprised that he's never mentioned it before.

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    World War Z- Marco Beltrami

Not bad. There's nothing here you can't get from "A Good Day to Die Hard" but Beltrami in action mode is always engaging. Some of the chugging ostinatos (of which there are a *lot) remind me of the RC school but it's a big blockbuster movie so I'm not surprised influences leak in.

It's a short album but would have been even better if some of the suspense tracks had been pruned. They sorta drone on for a while without saying much (largely with electronics).
  5. face-palm-mt At the beginning this emoticon looks like a devoted nazi. dizzy

A lefthanded nazi.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    face-palm-mt At the beginning this emoticon looks like a devoted nazi. dizzy

A lefthanded nazi.

Hah, being left handed might be the only thing the Nazi need to put you in the death camp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013 edited
    THE FLOWERS OF WAR - Qigang Chen

This is a lovely score. I haven't seen it mentioned around here very often, but it's just lovely. It's a 2011 Chinese film starring Christian Bale about a group of people that sought shelter in a church during the invasion of their city during the second Sino-Japanese war. The composer wanted to compose against scene (as has been discussed recently), which means in this case that a brutal movie received a thoroughly gorgeous score. If you like western orchestrations with Asian highlights, or gorgeous catholic-style choir music, multiple melodious themes in a single score, or Joshua Bell violin solos, I highly recommend this one. It's very good.
  6. christopher wrote
    THE FLOWERS OF WAR - Qigang Chen

This is a lovely score. I haven't seen it mentioned around here very often, but it's just lovely. It's a 2011 Chinese film starring Christian Bale about a group of people that sought shelter in a church during the invasion of their city during the second Sino-Japanese war. The composer wanted to compose against scene (as has been discussed recently), which means in this case that a brutal movie received a thoroughly gorgeous score. If you like western orchestrations with Asian highlights, or gorgeous catholic-style choir music, or multiple melodious themes in a single score, I highly recommend this one. It's very good.

I saw this movie about a year ago. The score actually made the movie even more awful to watch. It's good as a standalone listen though.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013
    Josh B wrote
    World War Z- Marco Beltrami

Not bad. There's nothing here you can't get from "A Good Day to Die Hard" but Beltrami in action mode is always engaging. Some of the chugging ostinatos (of which there are a *lot) remind me of the RC school but it's a big blockbuster movie so I'm not surprised influences leak in.

It's a short album but would have been even better if some of the suspense tracks had been pruned. They sorta drone on for a while without saying much (largely with electronics).

Damn, how short is the album?
    Saw the film the other day and there's a lot of action music in it. I guess quite a bit of it has been left off the album.

Cleopatra - Alex North

Delving into this one for the first time in ages. It's an epic and intimidating listen to be honest. Rewarding, certainly, but you need to be in a certain frame of mind to push through to the end (something I've never managed!). It's only 2 and a half hours long. wink
    • CommentAuthorJosh B

Saw the film the other day and there's a lot of action music in it. I guess quite a bit of it has been left off the album.

About 45 minutes.
  7. NP: 3:10 to Yuma (Marco Beltrami)

It was a bit sad the way this score got handled in the film. Most of the great stuff made it in, but the 2 best cues got mangled a bit in the using. (I'm not just saying that because the director's surname is Mangold.)

Also listened to In the Electric Mist and Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada today. Great work overall by Beltrami.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    RAMBLING...

One thing that is so jarring about THE DARK KNIGHT score (album) is the contrast of styles between Zimmer and James Newton Howard. "Harvey-Two Face" is such an obvious James Newton Howard cue that it clashes with the established "Zimmeresque" sound. No matter how much percussion Howard brings into the piece can disguise the classic Howard orchestrations and chord progressions, which totally goes against the grain. Compositionally, it's wonderful but it doesn't necessarily fit what came before and after it. I like it on it's own but I kind wish Zimmer had of done these scores on his own.

-Erik-

How about JNH without Zimmer? Now this is something I would like to hear!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote

About 45 minutes.

In LP days a 45 minute album would be considered excellent value cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    45 minutes is not a short album! It's the perfect time for most albums.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    45 minutes is not a short album! It's the perfect time for most albums.

I agree. A lot of people agree. Thankfully many "complete" score releases these days also contain the 'occasionally'* superior original album release.

*The best example that comes to my mind is JW's THE FURY, I love having the original score but by the gods, Williams rerecording that was originally released is an incredible and far superior listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Miya wrote
    After not having played film scores much for several months except several animated favorites (TLK and HTTYD and such), this week I suddenly fell into Thomas Newman mood. I repeated this album a lot for a few days. I don't know why. dizzy

NP: Road To Perdition

Because it's his best score, which says a lot. cool

A debatable question because I list Finding Nemo ahead of it.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Arsene Lupin by Wiseman.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Switched to Anna & King of Siam/Herrmann. Another small masterpiece of Herrmann.
    Tom