• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    Is "listenable" the new pass these days?

-Erik-

Listenable is the new passable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's a better way to word it. If that is indeed the case then we are in a world of hurt.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Rio 2 - John Powell

Pure fun! Can John Powell just score everything!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Vague is the new memorable.

beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014 edited
    Henry Jackman - Captain America : winter soldier

Not at all as bad, imo. Tracks like "Fury" sound like it could come out of Junkie XL's Man of Steel. Read what i wrote here http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … n/#Item_13 if you will, it's all part of the new MAN OF STEEL sound identity on everything which aims, not to directly replace the previous Inception/Tron sound, but as it is basically based on it, to expand it further into an electronica / dubstep territory, like what Junkie XL did with his loop-heavy score. The problem for some people, doesn't lie with the score per se the way i see it and as i wrote in the link above, but more with the way Z and co present the whole thing.

Expect a lot of scores sounding like this in the future, unless Z does something drastically different in Amazing Spiderman 2 to further change this sound.

I, for one, am in a state of mind that i enjoyed both 300: sequel and also this these days. As long as it has something in it (the electronica, the loops) and it's not plain Jablonsky-type-of-crappy-drone, then i'm in. My expectations are zero generally speaking and i find that it helps me enjoy more modern scores. And i am enjoying this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh how the mighty have fallen...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think we must accept that times are changing and we are going to be getting more and more major scores like this from Hollywood. Thing is, however, that brilliant orchestral music comes each year outside Hollywood and people shouldn't stick onto everything US-based. Most of it WILL sound like this no matter if we like it or not, and for several years to come; so, the sooner people realize it and seek more orchestral and organic approaches outside US, the better; look at Federico Jusid, Fernando Velazquez, Korzeniowski, laurent eyquem etc, people are writing gorgeous music outside Hollywood.
  1. Demetris wrote
    As long as it has something in it (the electronica, the loops) and it's not plain Jablonsky-type-of-crappy-drone, then i'm in.

I'd take 95% of Jablonsky's scores, even Battleship, over Jackman's latest. Maybe not Pain and Gain though...sorry Thor. tongue

It's not just the fact that it's another RC score. I can handle that. I like the style reasonably well. It's just that this is a really, really, particularly AWFUL example of the style, which is completely bereft of fun and identity and whose only stab at "originality" results in the album's worst music, just screeching unlistenable noise. Like I said yesterday, at least with Jablonsky you can usually be sure of getting at least one or two thematic cues that, while not original, are at least somewhat enjoyable, e.g. "The Art of War" or "Ender's War". The Winter Soldier doesn't even have the good grace to offer that, with one of the weakest excuses for a main theme I can think of in recent memory.
  2. Demetris wrote
    I think we must accept that times are changing and we are going to be getting more and more major scores like this from Hollywood. Thing is, however, that brilliant orchestral music comes each year outside Hollywood and people shouldn't stick onto everything US-based. Most of it WILL sound like this no matter if we like it or not, and for several years to come; so, the sooner people realize it and seek more orchestral and organic approaches outside US, the better; look at Federico Jusid, Fernando Velazquez, Korzeniowski, laurent eyquem etc, people are writing gorgeous music outside Hollywood.

I'd just like to point out that, actually, Korzeniowski writes his scores *in* the Hollywood system smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

WANT!!!!

And yes, Powell can score everything...except a Bond movie, right, Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    An Adventure in Space and Time - Edmund Butt

Joyous music. Very beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's terrific, I love it. Much better than I remember the first one being.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    MICHAEL NYMAN - Ravenous

Utterly horrible.

biggrin

You forgot to mention it was co-composed by Damon Albarn of Blur. I'm not keen on it though at least it strives to be different. The film is utterly horrible too.

confused
    Love the film, which is fantastically bizarre (and stars Robert Carlysle), and I love the eminently eclectic soundtrack (which sports an excellent theme!). True, it's far -QUITE far- from mainstream fare, but by no stretch of the imagination would I consider either 'bad'.

More...an acquired taste. ( biggrin Movie in-joke)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's terrific, I love it. Much better than I remember the first one being.

And I really liked the first one! shocked lick lick lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    MICHAEL NYMAN - Ravenous

Utterly horrible.

biggrin

You forgot to mention it was co-composed by Damon Albarn of Blur. I'm not keen on it though at least it strives to be different. The film is utterly horrible too.

confused
    Love the film, which is fantastically bizarre (and stars Robert Carlysle), and I love the eminently eclectic soundtrack (which sports an excellent theme!). True, it's far -QUITE far- from mainstream fare, but by no stretch of the imagination would I consider either 'bad'.

More...an acquired taste. ( biggrin Movie in-joke)

I think I've wiped the movie from my memory as I can barely remember it beyond that it partly based on 'The Donner Party', a cannibalistic incident during frontier days.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KNIGHT AND DAY - John Powell

Pretty good. I like it!
  5. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I apologise for being so vague.

There are 20 minutes of music that I found so enjoyable that I would gladly listen to again and again. Exciting and emotional, just as film music should be. It makes me wonder, hearing these tracks, whether people who give it such a bad time missed these tracks or were just determined not to listen to it all with an open mind, looking rather to use one specific album as a focus for their frustration with the way modern film music scoring is going?

Better?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm? Opinions seem to be dividing a bit regarding Jackman's Captain America score? I'm definitely going to listen to it and form my own opinion when I get the chance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Pretty good. I like it!

Actually I think it's better than "pretty good", I really enjoyed it and will return to it again soon.

NP : THE NINTH GATE - Wojciech Kilar

Brilliant score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Utterly. Massive and epic, awe-inspiring. This man should have written so much more major scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We can only be thankful that we have such a wonderful legacy left.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I apologise for being so vague.

There are 20 minutes of music that I found so enjoyable that I would gladly listen to again and again. Exciting and emotional, just as film music should be. It makes me wonder, hearing these tracks, whether people who give it such a bad time missed these tracks or were just determined not to listen to it all with an open mind, looking rather to use one specific album as a focus for their frustration with the way modern film music scoring is going?

Better?

20 minutes of so-so music (that's being kind) can't make up for the awfulness that is the rest of the 75 minute album. Jackman's score is excruciating!

-Erik-
  6. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Pretty good. I like it!

Actually I think it's better than "pretty good", I really enjoyed it and will return to it again soon.

Very cool score indeed; "Bull Run" is particularly excellent, an amazing flamenco-based action cue. Powell really excels at this sort of lightweight, but extremely stylish action score. cool
  7. NP: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - Henry Jackman
    On spotify.

Let's see ...

Volker

Edit: O, well... This is a curious mixture of styles. A lot of ambient electronic sound design, some RC power hymning, "The Smithonian" sounds like JFK. I have spent a lot of time with music by Klaus Schluze, Brian Eno, Ash Ra Tempel etc. I certainly don't get scared away by ambient electronica. There is some interesting sound design going on in this score and I say that's probably its greatest strength. It remains to be seen how this works out in context.
    This cannot mend the utter lack of identity. This score has no identity whatsoever, not with regard to the film, not with regard to the overall narrative universe, not with regard to the preceding film. Some cues, like "Fury" are an insult. Any child with a living room arranger keyboard can produce such sound floors. Yet, as I said, there is some interesting sound design going on here, too. But what is the use? This is a film score not a concept album. (Hi, Thor! wave ) If I want current ambient electronica, there are acts vastly superior to Henry Jackman.
    So, yes, there is some worthwhile music to be found here. Certainly not enough to make me buy the score. ** I guess. I have to see the film first.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Bourne Supremacy John Powell

Many composers have aped this style of scoring ever since it came out, but no one has even come close to making it sound as good as Powell. Even with that in mind, it still sounds as fresh and as exciting than the time it came out.

This is proof that it's possible to write a modern/dark/gritty score to a modern/dark/gritty film without it being complete and utter shite.

Come back to non-animated film scoring, please!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLACK BEAUTY - Danny Elfman

An old favourite of mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ah yes, Black Beauty. Great score, beautiful! Love the themes in there! One of Elfman's finest.

NP: Matrix Revolutions (deluxe) - Don Davis

This is terrific! I liked it back in the day but hearing it again and in complete form is an eye-opener.
    So much going on thematically and in orchestration. Waaaaay better than I remembered!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2014 edited
    JP : CAPTAIN SCHMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - Henry Jackman

It's not great but it's also not as bad as I was expecting. In fact I really enjoyed some of the ambient stuff, on the other hand tracks like The Winter Soldier and Into The Fray I found nearly intolerable.

Still, this is a score for CAPTAIN AMERICA and it just don't sound like a superhero score. I'd like to see the film and it'll be interesting to see if any more opinions change from the perspective of the movie it's written for.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEYOND THE GATES ( aka SHOOTING DOGS ) - Dario Marianelli

This on the other hand is top rate. Beautiful score to a very good though very harrowing film.

The last track with the African vocals, We Turned Our Backs melts me every time. Sublime!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS - Ron Goodwin

This has never had a release but I've found it on Spotify. confused

It's very good too. Typical Goodwin orchestration, harps, vibes, ascending and descending strings etc.