• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Die Another Day - David Arnold

It's interesting to consider how severely this score was mauled when it first appeared. Considering we haven't had a large-scale Arnold score in nigh-on half a decade now, I'm guessing if this exact same score came out tomorrow it would be much, much better received. Come to think of it, you could say that about a lot of Arnold scores...The Musketeer may have been a three-star score in 2001 but there's no way in hell it wouldn't get at least four in 2014.

Anyways, Die Another Day. I'd say it's the worst of Arnold's Bond scores but it's still cool. The electronics sometimes do get in the way of what are otherwise really strong action cues, but at other times they just add to the fun. This score might not be as "refined", but I daresay it has a lot more personality and swagger than Skyfall.

Madonna is still shit though. vomit
  2. I'm not the biggest fan of "Hook", too. I like the commercial release, there are some magic moments there, but the whole thing for me is too operetta like. The expanded release has left me cold.

Christian Clemmensen:
    I don't agree with every single one of his rewies. Certainly I disagree on "Mission to Mars" and I disagree on some Zimmer scores. Nonetheless he is one of the most learned men in the field and a damn good reviewer. He's far from being a "half witted cretin". I know that it was ment funny. I just happen to not like such jokes.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. If he quit personally attacking composers just because he dislikes a score, I'd have much more respect for him as a reviewer. And his error in the Man of Steel review is just hilarious.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. "Men of Steel" is up to debate. I think it was "Pirates" where he really got carried away.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    If he quit personally attacking composers just because he dislikes a score, I'd have much more respect for him as a reviewer. And his error in the Man of Steel review is just hilarious.

The steel drums thing? biggrin

Makes you kind of wish Zimmer had gone with steel drums. At least the score would have been a little bit interesting then...plus it would have sounded like Cool Runnings.

cool <-- Jamaican dude doing what Jamaicans do best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2014
    Continuing on with my Zimmer journey....

"The Last Race" from DAYS OF THUNDER.

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's funny, but most "difficult" scores are to me easier to grasp and love than some "easy" ones. I remember people telling me that it took them time to appreciate for example AI and Memoirs of a Geisha. The same people were giving five stars to Hook. Guess what: AI and Geisha are some of my Williams favorites... and I still haven't fully warmed up to Hook.

I absolutely agree Pawel. HOOK is a good score and in particular 'You Are The Pan' is a fantastic piece but on the whole I never warmed to it either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Captain Future wrote
    "Men of Steel" is up to debate. I think it was "Pirates" where he really got carried away.

I'd say The Thin Red Line, Pirates 3 (I understand very low ratings for the previous two parts, though very recently the first score become the guiltiest pleasure I ever heard), Da Vinci Code (OK, that score does not work well in the film, but the idea to assess a score by "how I think it would fit to an adaptation of a novel that I haven't seen yet" is a bit dodgy...), The Dark Knight Rises...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Da Vinci Code. Damned good album. Not very good film score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I never had an issue with that score in the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

I enjoyed it in the film. A minor problem I have with the album is that some tracks have such mindnumbingly loud moments so when I adjust the volume so my speakers won't blow up during those moments, then I can barely hear the more quiet moments.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Does anyone know if the music for Torchwood is good? Does it sound like Doctor Who and is the music just as enjoyable? I've no plans to watch the series, but if the music is great, I want to hear it.

Peter smile
  7. Timmer wrote

I think that Da Vinci Code, along with Spanglish, feature Hans' very best orchestral arrangements. In terms of instrumentation, I think it beats even Pirates 3! Spanglish is heavily forgotten, which is a pity, a very classical score in terms of sound, though without brass (if you don't know it, Tim, it must be on Spotify, as is most of Varese's collection).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I never had an issue with that score in the film.

-Erik-

Me neither. One of my HZ favourites both on album and in film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's very rare really that I think a score makes a film worse. Often when people talk about "bad scores" they (I) mean bad albums, or scores that don't enhance the film as much as another score might have done (all the RC-type musical wallpaper scores which are "there" but don't seem to be doing anything for the film, either good or bad). Having said all that - I did think Da Vinci Code's score made the film worse. And it makes a great album.
  8. To be fair, I don't think anything could make that film worse than it was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    True. It's not like it's an otherwise-great film rendered poor by its music. (Are there any of those?)
  9. I'm sure there was something and even I experience that, but I can't recall at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2014 edited
    I don't know what you guys are smoking. It's a fine film with a fine score. I've never read the book, though, nor do I have any desire to. I've never been one to read a book just because it's popular.

I've almost never read any specifics as to WHY people dislike it, though. Care to elaborate, anyone?
    I am extremely serious.
  10. There's always Tom Hanks' hairdo... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can imagine the conversation when composer and director were spotting the film.

Film starts playing.
    "The music here has to emphasise the fact that this is THE MOST SIGNIFICANT MOMENT EVER SEEN IN A FILM!"
    Three minutes later.
    "The music here has to emphasise the fact that this is THE MOST SIGNIFICANT MOMENT EVER SEEN IN A FILM!"
    Rinse and repeat.
  11. Southall wrote
    I can imagine the conversation when composer and director were spotting the film.

Film starts playing.
    Three minutes later.
    Rinse and repeat.

This looks like old BASIC code. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  12. Timmer wrote
    NP : MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

Magnificent!

I just occurred to me that I had never transferred this score to my ipod classic. This lapse has no been mended.

Volker
  13. Thor wrote
    I don't know what you guys are smoking. It's a fine film with a fine score. I've never read the book, though, nor do I have any desire to. I've never been one to read a book just because it's popular.

I've almost never read any specifics as to WHY people dislike it, though. Care to elaborate, anyone?

The film tries to make a point that three people talking in a gothic house about history of Christianity is the scariest thing ever. Well, how about no.

Ron Howard's action directing is very lackluster in the film, more confusing than anything. Even as a psychological narrative, it doesn't work, I was lost in what was happening on screen.

There was too much explaining, not enough action, basically over half of the film is literally sitting and talking.

The acting is quite hammed. Tom Hanks is *very* wooden.

It's deadly serious.

Angels and Demons quit most of these issues by making a downright decent action thriller.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    It's very rare really that I think a score makes a film worse. Often when people talk about "bad scores" they (I) mean bad albums, or scores that don't enhance the film as much as another score might have done (all the RC-type musical wallpaper scores which are "there" but don't seem to be doing anything for the film, either good or bad). Having said all that - I did think Da Vinci Code's score made the film worse. And it makes a great album.

yeah

Thor wrote
    I don't know what you guys are smoking. It's a fine film

Obviously not as strong as the magic mushrooms were while you watched it. tongue

PawelStroinski wrote
    Spanglish is heavily forgotten, which is a pity, a very classical score in terms of sound, though without brass (if you don't know it, Tim, it must be on Spotify, as is most of Varese's collection).

Yes, I've heard it once and I liked it. I really should give it a listen again.
  14. NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

I listen to the fantastic "Hand of Fate" cue regularly, but it's been a while since I spun the whole album. It's a very effective suspense score that's got a really strong identity of its own - seriously, play any given three seconds of this score and you'll instantly know it's from Signs, and how many scores can you say that about - but a few tracks in and there's still nothing to change my opinion that the final (two) cue(s) is all you really need from this score. Even the much-praised opening title contains nothing that isn't reprised and fleshed out to a greater degree in "Hand of Fate".

How this makes best score of the decade lists and such continues to be beyond me...it's good, but not THAT good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You shut up! Shut up now!

-Erik-
  15. ...aaaaaaaand he takes the bait! applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

The film tries to make a point that three people talking in a gothic house about history of Christianity is the scariest thing ever. Well, how about no.

Ron Howard's action directing is very lackluster in the film, more confusing than anything. Even as a psychological narrative, it doesn't work, I was lost in what was happening on screen.

There was too much explaining, not enough action, basically over half of the film is literally sitting and talking.

The acting is quite hammed. Tom Hanks is *very* wooden.

It's deadly serious.

Angels and Demons quit most of these issues by making a downright decent action thriller.

Thanks for the comments. I don't share most of those particular evaluations, although I agree that the film IS rather talkative at times.

I thought the photography & music were brilliant, in particular -- creating this very lush, saturated atmosphere that nonetheless felt real. It has a bit of Roman Polanski going on in that department, with a dash or two of film noir.

I thought Hanks was fine, and the mystery aspect very appealing. Adding new elements without losing the audience.

It IS very serious, but that's what I like about it. I like films that take themselves very seriously, and that are pure in their genre approach.

Anyways....it is by no means a masterpiece, but it's a slick, stylized, interesting thriller that kept me inside the fictional universe throughout.

4+ out of 6.
    I am extremely serious.