• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Woohoo! I've been addicted to the Twilight Zone Overture track from Frontiers for the last few months so I'm definitely picking this one up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009
    I'm content with my German WB release and will not be buying this. However, I like the fact that they've acquired the rights for the songs as well, and I'd love to have the Joseph Williams (John's son) song separately. But I doubt that's possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote
    WANT. :grabby:

Wait. It's the same as the one I already have?
    Shut up me.

The same? It's the complete score which NOT the one you have unless you have some AWESOME sounding complete boot.

-Erik-

Ah, then I stick by my original post.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    JERRY GOLDSMITH’S QUINTESSENTIAL TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE ARRIVES ON CD

The fantasy anthology film yields a rich, diverse score from the great composer, now presented complete for the first time by Film Score Monthly

Linden, VA – April 14, 2009 – You’re traveling through another dimension... That’s the signpost up ahead – your next stop, Jerry Goldsmith’s Twilight Zone: The Movie, one of his greatest sci-fi/fantasy scores now on CD in complete form from Film Score Monthly.

Twilight Zone: The Movie was the 1983 anthology film inspired by the classic Rod Serling TV series, and no composer was better suited to score the big-screen adaptation than Jerry Goldsmith. By the early 1980s Goldsmith was a master in every genre of film, from intimate dramas to large-scale adventures, but he was particularly noted for his landmark scores for science fiction: Planet of the Apes, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Alien and more – including 1981's Poltergeist (for Twilight Zone: The Movie producer and co-director Steven Spielberg), and the original Twilight Zone series, for which Goldsmith scored classic episodes like “The Invaders.”

With massive technical ability at his disposal, and an unerring gift for drama and melody, Goldsmith wrote brilliant accompaniment for the four segments of Twilight Zone: The Movie, blending the intimate and epic, traditional and modern:

“Time Out,” directed by John Landis and starring Vic Morrow as a bigot facing just desserts, features an astringent, percussive score not unlike Goldsmith’s efforts from the original Twilight Zone TV series.

“Kick the Can,” directed by Steven Spielberg, features a magical, emotional score brimming with warmth as the residents of a retirement home discover an unlikely Fountain of Youth.

“It’s a Good Life,” directed by Joe Dante, spotlights an all-powerful boy who has kidnapped adults for companionship, including a bewildered schoolteacher (Kathleen Quinlan); Goldsmith’s haunting score blends a melancholy theme with ethereal impressionism and shrieking horror for Dante’s postmodern scares.

Finally, “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,” directed by George Miller and starring John Lithgow as a terrified airline passenger who sees a monster on the wing, features brilliant psychological scoring with devilish moments (foreshadowing Goldsmith’s approach for Gremlins) and symphonic size.

Twilight Zone: The Movie was released on LP at the time of the film, a program since issued on CD in Japan and Germany. For the first time, FSM presents the complete, chronological score, with bonus tracks of the film’s songs (“Nights Are Forever,” by Goldsmith as featured on the LP, and “Anesthesia” by Joseph Williams, previously unreleased) plus album edits of relevant cues. The CD is carefully designed so that the LP sequence can be programmed, if so desired.

The complete score has been newly restored from the first-generation Warner Bros. masters by Mike Matessino in cooperation with Bruce Botnick, Goldsmith’s longtime recording engineer and colleague who has mastered this CD. Matessino and Jeff Bond provide the authoritative liner notes.

This quintessential Goldsmith masterwork is available now from Screen Archives Entertainment at www.screenarchives.com.

Check it out at http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12234

Ordered! cool

It's times like this that I'm so glad I'm patient and held out on buying this when it was released some years ago.

What a great release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interesting. Shall I go for it? Seems to be about 15 extra minutes compared with the old release? (Apart from alternate takes and such, which I would never listen to.)
  2. I've not heard One Little Indian nor The Twilight Zone: The Movie before. But as they are Goldsmith I've ordered them both. Am I in for some excellent listening?

Off to listen to Dr. Kildare...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You've never heard Goldsmith's Twilight Zone? It's a classic! (IMO.) Extremely inventive music, very unique, and a wonderfully magical theme that only a late-70s/early-80s Goldsmith could come up with. (I'd be surprised if you haven't heard the theme?)

One of my favourites!
  3. Steven wrote
    You've never heard Goldsmith's Twilight Zone?...

I don't think I have.

I've certainly not seen the movie - and as the available CD was difficult to get(?) it's one I've never sampled. So unless the theme has somehow entered the "mainstream" then I do think I've missed this one. (Listening to the "Overture" clip over at SAE it's mostly a clip of the TV Twilight Zone theme.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't think I have.

I've certainly not seen the movie - and as the available CD was difficult to get(?) it's one I've never sampled. So unless the theme has somehow entered the "mainstream" then I do think I've missed this one. (Listening to the "Overture" clip over at SAE it's mostly a clip of the TV Twilight Zone theme.)

The Twilight Zone is a very diverse listen, at times charming and delightful, at other times terryfying and abrasive, but Goldsmith's tone is all through the music

The suite most people know is actually a culmination of all the 4 episodes put together

One Little Indian I never even heard of, and I heard his fair share of bootlegs before
    Still it sounds good enough for me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't think I have.

The Overture has been on a number of compilations so you may have that lying around somewhere?
  5. Compilations!! I think not!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I have neither heard not seen The Twilight Zone. I do have the Frontiers cd but don't remember the theme from it. I might have to watch the film first and then decide.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    I have neither heard not seen The Twilight Zone. I do have the Frontiers cd but don't remember the theme from it. I might have to watch the film first and then decide.

I unreservedly recommend it but then I am a Goldsmith fan. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I can't say I listen to this score that much as it is. If the new release improved the sound quality appreciably, I'd go for it. does anyone know if advances have been made in the sound of the music?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2009 edited
    Dr Kildare punk One Little Indian punk punk Twilight Zone TMP punk punk punk

JERRY.. JERRY.. JERRY !!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2009
    Mooners on moon heaven cool wink
  7. Goldsmith's scores for the Dr. Kildare episodes on the recent FSM release are, by far, the most enjoyable.

It may be due to hindsight but the quality of his music (and Goldsmith as a composer) for this show it evident compared to the other stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    Would you recommend the Dr Kildare album then? I haven't bought it yet, but may do. Is it comparable to Goldsmith's film scores of the same period (which I enjoy, a lot)?
  8. Southall wrote
    Would you recommend the Dr Kildare album then? I haven't bought it yet, but may do. Is it comparable to Goldsmith's film scores of the same period (which I enjoy, a lot)?

I would certainly recommend the first CD that is exclusively Goldsmith's episodes, but I'm not sure that I'd recommend this release as a set. I'd have preferred if FSM had have released the single CD - but they seem to like the multiple-CD releases at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    They do; and I haven't bought many (if any) of them!
  9. Received “Twilight Zone” and “One Little Indian” today, as expected “Twilight Zone” is gorgeous, I can’t quite believe the sound quality. I was pleasantly surprised by “One Little Indian”, I was on the fence about ordering it and only did so when “Twilight Zone” was announced the following day and thought I might as well take a chance on it since I was already ordering a CD from the States, boy am I glad I did, it’s absolutely terrific. What really struck me while listening to them both was the quality of the orchestration, wonderful stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    I'm interested to see if they can get Goldsmith's Mulan score released. If so then it could be the first major Disney animated complete score release ever!
  10. That would be splendid. Perhaps they will, seeing as most Disney animated films now are much less "musical" and more music - maybe there will be a bigger demand for full scores from their collection in general?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    There has been a speculative hypothesis among fans that currently Intrada is only able to get those Disney scores released which have been totally unreleased on Disney Records. If they can get something like Mulan for example released, this theory will be proved wrong.
  11. DemonStar wrote
    There has been a speculative hypothesis among fans that currently Intrada is only able to get those Disney scores released which have been totally unreleased on Disney Records. If they can get something like Mulan for example released, this theory will be proved wrong.

I think it has more to do with the fact Intrada is the only one that can sell Disney releases. Perhaps they built up a solid firm partnership that they can sell (3.000 copies) of their scores (released as unreleased) in due time

This would be great, considering we would get our hands then on poorly released as unreleased gems of the past
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I hope their relationship strengthens over time and all those gems slowly but steadily start getting released! wink biggrin
  12. DemonStar wrote
    I hope their relationship strengthens over time and all those gems slowly but steadily start getting released! wink biggrin

yeah me too, we need more gems smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    Harkit is releasing Goldsmith's SEBASTIAN, over at FSM Lukas Kendal asks that you NOT buy it which suggest to me that it'll get a proper release and I say fair enough, Harkit's releases have all been from LP sources as far as I know.
  13. I saw Star Trek yesterday and just want to say this:

Jerry, I miss you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I saw Star Trek yesterday and just want to say this:

Jerry, I miss you.

I miss him too... but I miss The Motion Picture-Final Frontier-First Contact Jerry more so than the Insurrection-Nemesis Jerry.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!