• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I don't really care about artwork, it's what's on the disc that matters, but you would've thought they could put a little more effort into that cover! Thanks for the constructive input Thor... wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
    It's a bit too similar to the regular season six release isn't it? Granted it's available on the internet only so it's not trying to stand out as as different product in a shop.

I'll probably just end up tagging the tracks onto the end of my existing playlist rather than treating it as a separate album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    sleep

I'm with you, Thor.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    :fail:
  2. I'm not someone who's intimately familiar with Giacchino's Lost music and maybe that's why I enjoyed his recent Let Me In more than some people? Yes, there's a similarity between the two but maybe the saturation coverage of Lost may put this effectively atmospheric score (i.e., Let Me In) at a disadvantage?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Possibly; I'm not a fan of his music that sounds like Lost but isn't, however even though this is another CD of *that* sound I can't wait!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    sleep

punk

EXCELLENT! A release I don't have to splash out on cool

Ant, and you others ( he he ) who love this so much, I'm happy for you. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So...any idea how quickly Colosseum & Varese tend to ship limited editions?

They say "CD shipping week commencing 11th", so really they've got all week... confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not someone who's intimately familiar with Giacchino's Lost music and maybe that's why I enjoyed his recent Let Me In more than some people? Yes, there's a similarity between the two but maybe the saturation coverage of Lost may put this effectively atmospheric score (i.e., Let Me In) at a disadvantage?

In LET ME IN, there's no passion and themes that characterize Lost's music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I'm not sure passion or themes are really as necessary for what seems to be a low-key and perhaps unconventional (?, I've not seen the movie) project compared to something like Lost that was so massive themes and passion would be required to try and keep people interested and remind the audience what's going on?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you watched the original LET THE RIGHT ONE IN? If yes, it answers your question smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Plus, in LOST even the suspence / action / chase - thriller music had motifs, either melodic or rhythmic and was never plain random string textures.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Have you watched the original LET THE RIGHT ONE IN? If yes, it answers your question smile

I have seen the original and that was certainly low-key and unconventional. But I am wondering if the Hollywood-ised version had lost some of that feel in order to make it more palatable to the American audience. Listening to Giacchino's version I'd say that a lot of the feel of the original has been retained in the remake.

So Giacchino's work is just "plain random string textures"? Maybe I should have scored that - I can do random.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The original had two very beautiful themes in it.
  5. Demetris, how much time Giacchino spent on Lost and how much on Let Me In? Count this in the equation.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I have seen the original and that was certainly low-key and unconventional. But I am wondering if the Hollywood-ised version had lost some of that feel in order to make it more palatable to the American audience. Listening to Giacchino's version I'd say that a lot of the feel of the original has been retained in the remake.

So Giacchino's work is just "plain random string textures"? Maybe I should have scored that - I can do random.

I was exaggerating to make a point.

There's not any themes in there, and the boy soprano thingy sounds so tired these days.

The music remains mostly an observer; as i said i am going to watch the movie and then judge it completely, but it's disappointing.

And i don't think the Americans retained the feeling of the original 'cause they've obviously (from the trailers and music) killed the emotion, the relationship of the two children and the innocence, for terror and scares (now she's the evil bitch luring him into her dark world).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris, how much time Giacchino spent on Lost and how much on Let Me In? Count this in the equation.

True. I don't think Soderqvist spent more time for his version though.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    The original had two very beautiful themes in it.

Yes, it did. (Well one at least. wink )

But, having themes in a score doesn't necessarily make it a better score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True, but in this case (in the original movie) it did.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    So...any idea how quickly Colosseum & Varese tend to ship limited editions?

They say "CD shipping week commencing 11th", so really they've got all week... confused

Patience isn't your strong point is it. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You noticed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ouch. I still have to hear Season 5 and 6!
    Kazoo
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Plus, in LOST even the suspence / action / chase - thriller music had motifs, either melodic or rhythmic and was never plain random string textures.

It's actually hard to write a piece without any repeated material at all. That is randomness. I've never found LOST's action music managed to make the leap from 'structured' to 'ear-grabbing' though, for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    My main enjoyment of Lost's action music is the interesting uses of orchestra: the unique tones and textures he gets them to produce, and the resulting interesting feelings.

But it's only when the action music is bolstered by an emotional melody, such as in the latter part of "Bobbing For Freighters", that it becomes truly awesome. So awesome that such tracks are worth buying an entire 2 disc release for.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In Lost's action cues he uses motifs from the series and builds on them throughout the whole seasons; it's not just one time played action cues and then onto another entirely new thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's actually hard to write a piece without any repeated material at all. That is randomness. I've never found LOST's action music managed to make the leap from 'structured' to 'ear-grabbing' though, for me.

I know; my problem isn't repeated ideas; but the lack of any bonding rhythmo-melodic elements entirely, a phenomenon much observed lately in many scores, especially action / fantasy stuff.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    In Lost's action cues he uses motifs from the series and builds on them throughout the whole seasons; it's not just one time played action cues and then onto another entirely new thing.

I think the character themes progress the most. To be honest there aren't many action motifs, and the few that exist don't really get expanded (I can think of two at the most).

The most spectacular evolution comes in Jack's, Ben's and Locke's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I always found Giacchino's action writing the weakest aspect of his composing. With Lost too, there it is far outshined by excellent themes and also his montage writing (the Tailies montage of Season 2; Of Mice and Ben; etc.).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Looks like Michael is scoring Cars 2... and a whole bunch of other films!

"Giacchino is pretty much booked through 2012. Just out is his vampire movie "Let Me In" for "Cloverfield" director Matt Reeves; it features the Seattle Boys Choir. Next he tackles the comedy "Monte Carlo" for his "Family Stone" director Thomas Bezucha and the Seth Rogen-produced drama "I'm With Cancer."

He's already begun work on "Cars 2" for Pixar founder John Lasseter; he will finish in the spring. Abrams' "Super 8," "Mission: Impossible IV" and the sci-fi epic "John Carter of Mars" (directed by another Pixar vet, Andrew Stanton) will follow."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111802 … 6&cs=1

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Maybe five movies a year isn't an issue if he's not worrying about TV shows and the Oscars as well.