• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Skating_Lientje wrote

BTW I loved The Lion King as well before The Rock, and Legends of the Fall (the Ludlows theme) etc...

Is there any self-respecting film score fan that doesn't love Legends of the Fall? There must be, but I have yet to meet one. But then I practically love everything he did around that time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Is there any self-respecting film score fan that doesn't love Legends of the Fall? There must be, but I have yet to meet one. But then I practically love everything he did around that time.

I'm sure there must be. Maybe even on this board. It is shamefully romantic. I'm sure there are people out there who don't like that.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010
    Legends of The Fall is a lovely score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote

OK, so Timmer's on board as well. wave

Yippie...
  4. It's Horner's masterpiece to me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    It's Horner's masterpiece to me.

Then a wave to you too Pawel.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    It's Horner's masterpiece to me.

it's one of his very best yes, an easy 5 star rating for me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Oh and can I make as ass out of myself and say the film is drop dead gorgeous too?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. Gorgeous? I think that's a perfect assessment of John Toll's Oscar-winning cinematography smile

The only cinematographer in history to get two Oscars in a row (Legends of the Fall and Braveheart next year). While Janusz Kaminski's work for Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece and I was happy, since he was Polish, Toll's work on The Thin Red Line was yet another beauty worthy of an Oscar had Ryan not been nominated.

But, the loser that year and an unworthy one was Zimmer. Thin Red Line AND Prince of Egypt. Losing...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010
    Timmer wrote

It is indeed. One of my Horner favs.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Gorgeous? I think that's a perfect assessment of John Toll's Oscar-winning cinematography smile

The only cinematographer in history to get two Oscars in a row (Legends of the Fall and Braveheart next year). While Janusz Kaminski's work for Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece and I was happy, since he was Polish, Toll's work on The Thin Red Line was yet another beauty worthy of an Oscar had Ryan not been nominated.

But, the loser that year and an unworthy one was Zimmer. Thin Red Line AND Prince of Egypt. Losing...

You are right of course, the cinematography is one quarter of its appeal, the actors are an other quarter, and Horner's score is the remaining half.

I really love the acting in LOTF, so heartfelt, nuanced and dramatic by Aidan Quinn, Henry Thomas, Anthony Hopkins and mainly Brad Pitt.
  10. DreamTheater wrote

You are right of course, the cinematography is one quarter of its appeal, the actors are an other quarter, and Horner's score is the remaining half.

I really love the acting in LOTF, so heartfelt, nuanced and dramatic by Aidan Quinn, Henry Thomas, Anthony Hopkins and mainly Brad Pitt.

Don't forget Julia Ormond.
    Although I have to say that I loved Aidan Quinn and Anthony Hopkins performance the best. Brad Pitt was excellent in looking beautiful, but I admired the acting performances of the others better.

Elin
  11. Oh my how could I forget Julia Ormond?

I stand corrected, not merely a cardboard character (or actress) that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011
    SUPER 8 trailer (teaser)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJzkx1Gs … n-2r-48-HM
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    From July...and in German? tongue
  12. SUPER FAIL?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    Hahah loved it !
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011
    Someone over at FSM wrote that Michael Giacchino is gonna do the music for Captain America. IMDB.com also lists him as composer... hope that's true! smile A superhero film set in WWII - a perfect match, really smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011 edited
    Very good choice if true! I hope so.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011
    Didn't Giacchino's name get bounced around a couple of weeks ago at FSM?

I'd like some more confirmation other than IMDB but good news if correct!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011 edited
    A friend of mine works at Paramount and saw a screening last monday of 10 minutes from CAPTAIN AMERICA (music by Michael Giacchino), and he said the footage looked finished and contained music. Did Giacchino record it all already, or could it be he heard tempmusic?

Although a former filmmusic lover, the friend of mine in question stepped off of it some time ago and all he could mention was that it 'sounded orchestral', but didn't particularly stick out to him (which isn't saying anything). He also mentioned the footage looked 'too much like Iron Man', although it had 'some kind of Indiana Jones vibe, with castles and such, filmed in Europe'.

He wasn't too impressed with it, although it could be fun, according to him (he was much more impressed with the footage from COWBOYS & ALIENS that was screened, which he said had a LOT of Spielberg influences - consider me hyped as well!).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011
    The premise of Cowboys & Aliens interests me too. I also hope Captain America is being scored by Giacchino ( though a shame, imo, it wasn't John Williams ), "castles and such" sounds about right as Caps nemesis is the Red Skull.
  13. Anthony wrote
    Didn't Giacchino's name get bounced around a couple of weeks ago at FSM?

I'd like some more confirmation other than IMDB but good news if correct!

What it was was a guy who said his friend was a curier for some company and he delivered scripts to both Giacchino's house, and Bruce Broughton's house (mentor of Giacchino).

I'm hoping it's "Music by: Bruce Broughton" with a "Score Produced" or "Score Consultant" by "Michael Giacchino", but I think that'll be the other way around.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Since when was Broughton Giacchino's mentor? confused
  14. I have no idea -- I jsut pass along the info. Though Broughton's supposedly a nice guy to chat with, and his wife answers his e-mails, so maybe try asking him if really curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Since when was Broughton Giacchino's mentor? confused

Never!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    Good to know, I've never heard that before!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What, next thing you're going to tell us is that people actually create false rumous on the internet?
  15. Something happened to me last night, and although it is a bit shamefull it is maybe also a good thing, so I thought I'd share it here.

I already admitted to not nowing a lot about Giacchino, and after seeing the final season of Lost, I listened to the score and I liked it. So lets consider me a newbie when it come to G.

So a couple of days ago I was looking around the internet trying to find out which series I could watch, and I was reminded of the fact that I never finished watching Alias (stopped somewhere mid Season 3 and never picked up again). So I started downloading Season 3 and 4.

Let say three epsiodes into Season three, I start noticing the score. Of coarse I remembered the 'Alias' sound, as it is very particular, but I start noticing that certain eerie moments, or certain tense moments sounded 'exactly' like tense moments in Lost.

I didn't even doubt it for a second, and just knew it had to be a Giacchino score.

And indeed, it is. So now I'm viewing the rest of the third season (and the fourth and fifth) while listening more closely to his scoring.

Or how picking up an older series can have an enriching experience.

Am I forgiven for not knowing it was Giacchino's work to begin with?

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Seasons three, four and five of Alias include some fantastic material. There's an amazing amount of extra thematic material for season five alone!

Chris Tilton provided additional music during the last two seasons.