• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Can anyone that has access to iTunes confirm if Small Soldiers - The Videogame is available for download thru iTunes? I've seen a downloadable copy float about on the web that has the typical files / folders structure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    It's not.
  2. A shame, but thanks A.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    Earth Day sort of appeared out of nowhere. I'm guessing it is a documentary? Haven't heard anything about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    Has Giacchino slept, at least a couple of hours, during 2008-2009? shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    "The Curious Case Of Stewart's Buttons"

lol
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    Panthera wrote
    Earth Day sort of appeared out of nowhere. I'm guessing it is a documentary? Haven't heard anything about it.

I'd heard about it, but it was very, very low-key. The documentary was released at the Sundance Film Festival at the beginning of '09 and it's only opening at select cinemas in the US this month. So it's technically the first Giacchino score of the year.

Marselus wrote
    Has Giacchino slept, at least a couple of hours, during 2008-2009? shocked

You heard him in Spain - he never wants to score three movies and a TV show at the same time again. And I don't blame him. That must be exhausting.

But he lied about taking a break! Before Christmas he's doing another Pixar short called "Day And Night" (this might be done already, I'm not too sure?) and a Disney show called Prep And Landing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    You heard him in Spain - he never wants to score three movies and a TV show at the same time again. And I don't blame him. That must be exhausting.

Maybe he has been hanging out with Brian Tyler too much lately?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    So how's Earth Days?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    Two immediate observations on Earth Days:

1. In one way, this is the polar opposite of Land of the Lost: all of the restraint that was missing from that score is present here, and then some. Earth Days is quiet, simple, and unobtrusive; the "minimalistic" tag definitely applies. Consider it Giacchino's first "easy listening" album. biggrin

2. The closest thing from Giacchino's career that I could compare this to is the soft, contemplative music for character development scenes in Lost. It really isn't all that much like Lost either, though.

This is about as subtle/restrained as I've ever heard Giacchino. It's nothing new and it won't set the world on fire, but it sets a consistent, quiet mood of contemplation that is often lovely.

Actually, one more observation: virtually the entire score seems to be based upon a simple 2-note rising motif; I believe the technical term for the relation between these notes would be a "major/minor third", but I could be wrong. Either way, almost every track seems to be in some way related to that basic idea.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'll stick with the Giacchino scores that in loud and in your face thank you very much..
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    Yeah, I definitely tend to prefer it when Giacchino offers a balanced mix of bombast and restraint. It's funny to note that two of his scores from 2009 are complete and total opposites in this regard: Land of the Lost is WAY over the top, while Earth Days is so far on the other end of the scale as to make the comparison comical.

Ironically, I'd also give them the same rating: ***. Worth listening to, but in both cases (and for virtually opposite reasons) I have a hard time getting through the whole album in one listen. One is loud, obnoxious, and not particularly cohesive, and the other is quiet, sparse, and cohesive to a fault.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    Has there ever been an announcement of a CD release for Lost Season 5? Every other season had a release, so I'm hopeful that the remaining seasons get ones as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I haven't heard anything, but I'm betting there will be one.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well as the past two have been around May of the following year I would think we're in for quite a wait.

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until the show ended and had a season 5 & 6 CD, because let's face it - there really wasn't that much music in season 5 that we haven't got already.

All that comes to mind when I think of the season is Jacob's theme, Locke's suicide scene and when Ben visits Sayid in the Dominican Republic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    There were some great pieces of music in the season finale.
    Particularly a full orchestra version of a segment of the "Life and Death" theme, which was absolutely epic and my favorite musical moment of the otherwise relatively lackluster season.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I actually haven't seen season 5 yet, so please limit the spoilers. I've skipped past a couple of your comments once I saw spoiler territory was approaching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    so Earth Days is Lost-like?

Sold.

As for season 5's music,the finale contains some very strong musical material but in general is the least interesting musical season of the show so far. Recycled and unengaging most of the time, in VIOLENT contrast to 4 and 3 in particular.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Earth Days is sort of Lost like. Half the time you think it's about to burst into a rendition of the Life And Death theme but it never does. It's very, very low key though but makes good reading or work music. smile

I'll see if my opinion changes on the season five score on rewatch later this year for The Four Trombones. So. Much. Tracked. Music. from what I remember though. cry
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    He probably had less time to focus on Lost because of all the big films he was working on.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That's what I'm hoping too. I'll be massively disappointed if the final season of Lost isn't pitch perfect. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    My Lost season 1 analysis is complete...again.

But there was stuff I missed previously so it was worth it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    shocked

Blimey.

I hereby present you with the fabled Film Music Anorak. beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I wonder if I could write a book on this and make some $$? cool tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If you do, can you let me interview Evangeline Lilly? Pleeeeeeeeease?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sure, as long as I get Elizabeth Mitchell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Can I interview Leonard Nimoy please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sure, just don't mention Spock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Why would I mention Spock in an interview about Lost?