• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    Thanks Miya. Appropriate for the season.

I will look at it a bit later on. Another Giacchino score? Cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009
    Miya wrote
    Free & legal! Watch Prep & Landing fully online. With Giacchino score of course christmas_biggrin

christmas_treechristmas_tree Disney's Prep & Landing christmas_treechristmas_tree

Gotta love the Medal of Honor reference in the trombones! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    Up won the Best Score award at the Chicago Film Critics Awards - http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout … 0&cs=1
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009 edited
    Oh, cause that's a well heard of and prestigious award. Seriously, does a city have to have awards now? rolleyes shame
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010 edited
    It's taken 172 days (that's five and a half months), but (hopefully) all the themes and motifs from seasons 1-5 of Lost are now listed. 36 main themes and 176 minor motifs in all. That's got to be a record, if not only for a TV series but maybe a composer (maybe?). With the sheer number of "suspense motifs" or "love themes" listed, I've put in brackets their common associations or characters they are usually linked with, which should hopefully give a better idea of their relation to things.

Just to give you a better idea of what counts as a motif, I am only including things that consist of two notes at a very minimum. There are many other textures and dynamics Giacchino uses for certain situations, but simply playing a note on the strings in a particular way is not contributing to the total here.

Season 6 airs on 2nd February however I'll likely keep updates to a minimum (with the nature of new material in later episodes it might seem rather blank until further down the road in the season.) Keep your eyes and ears peeled.

fireworks Mission Accomplished fireworks

*accepts lunatic award* *applauds* *thank you*

sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Wow, that's one impressive enterprise, Anthony. You love your Giacchino!

Personally, his music doesn't do much for me (although the LOST scores are often interesting in context), but you deserve kudos for work well done! thumbs <-- thumbs
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Anthony wrote
    It's taken 172 days (that's five and a half months), but (hopefully) all the themes and motifs from seasons 1-5 of Lost are now listed. 36 main themes and 176 minor motifs in all. That's got to be a record, if not only for a TV series but maybe a composer (maybe?).

Not that I'd want to suggest that 'more of everything is (intrinsically) better', but take that sort of talk to Wagner. wink
    Well done on the site though!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Anthony wrote
    It's taken 172 days (that's five and a half months), but (hopefully) all the themes and motifs from seasons 1-5 of Lost are now listed. 36 main themes and 176 minor motifs in all. That's got to be a record, if not only for a TV series but maybe a composer (maybe?).

Not that I'd want to suggest that 'more of everything is (intrinsically) better', but take that sort of talk to Wagner. wink
    Well done on the site though!

Speaking of Wagner, here's a Norwegian colleague of mine who did a similar breakdown in a comparison between The Nibelungen and Williams' STAR WARS: http://www.trell.org/wagner/starwars.html
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very impressive work Anthony, congratulations and thanks for sharing!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Don't miss out on this opportunity if you have any questions.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    Hello, first post. Just wanted to describe my growing Giacchino fandom.

I've never been a film score nut in general, although I have a long history with music and I do compose for films. But I work as a film editor. Part of the job, of course, is temping scores. The post house I worked at last year had a massive library of scores, and I found myself dipping into Lost (season 1) for temp cues, even though I've never seen Lost. That's when I heard the track "Departing Sun." It's just an incredibly beautiful piece of music, and it made me remember the name Giacchino. I was also really impressed by the sinister mood and weird percussion of "World's Worst Beach Party." It just sounded fresh.

Then I saw Star Trek - good film, great score. In particular, the cue "Labor of Love." It summoned so much more emotion than the film itself earned - very impressive. The new theme is good, too, but the best thing is the elusive 'freshness' that seems inherent in Michael's scores.

Most recently, I saw Up, and again found myself emotionally kidnapped by the score. Who knew a 3d animation could pull my heartstrings so well? In fact, the music does the heavy lifting in that department. "Married Life" is a fantastic piece. The rest of the score is fun, if less memorable.

I feel that he is continuously proving himself in new styles, each time surpassing expectations. I also enjoy the 'dry' recording style he uses (no big hall reverb). And from reading interviews, it seems, oddly enough, that we shared a childhood enthusiasm for Benny Goodman (though I was born in a later decade). So, now I'm paying attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    adam wrote
    Who knew a 3d animation could pull my heartstrings so well?

Ooh, you were doing so well until you said this! (Of course 3D animated films can pull heart strings, it's simply another medium to tell stories and is no 'lesser' or 'greater' than any other medium.)

But welcome, nonetheless. wink
    • CommentAuthoradam
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    Steven wrote
    adam wrote
    Who knew a 3d animation could pull my heartstrings so well?

Ooh, you were doing so well until you said this! (Of course 3D animated films can pull heart strings, it's simply another medium to tell stories and is no 'lesser' or 'greater' than any other medium.)

But welcome, nonetheless. wink

Haha... well, theoretically I agree. But so many 3D movies are really obnoxious, full of stock characters and false sentimentality. I suppose Up just took me by surprise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    adam wrote
    Haha... well, theoretically I agree. But so many 3D movies are really obnoxious, full of stock characters and false sentimentality. I suppose Up just took me by surprise.

Examples? Because for the most part Pixar has done and really, really good job to stay away from cliches and stereotypes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Never mind my opinions on animations... I came here to praise the G dog.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, apart Pixar, he's right, there have been examples by Disney or Dreamworks which are ready-made, auto-pilot animated movies, following the easy route of standard sentimental effects, story twists, character list, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, apart Pixar, he's right, there have been examples by Disney or Dreamworks which are ready-made, auto-pilot animated movies, following the easy route of standard sentimental effects, story twists, character list, etc.

And that is different from the rest of Hollywood how?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No different, at all. But if somebody usually comes in contact with that material which comes out in greater numbers and frequency than pixar's, might get the wrong impression about animated movie, a genre in which Pixar's levels are unreachable.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    By the way, favorite cue title: "Hella Bar Talk"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Michael Giacchino won the Best Score award at The 15th Annual Critics' Choice Awards
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well done beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    YES!!! He just won a Golden Globe for "Up"! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    One totally deserved award! Congrats, Mr. G. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good score, but can you say hype? Out of the Marianelli, Morricone, Abel's "a single man", Christopher Gordon's works this year, Young's Creation, Desplat, Soderqvist's EFFIE BRIEST, DIE PÄPSTIN (POE JOAN) and all, UP is the best? Anyway, it's the americanized awards' talk each year over and over again. Who cares wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Well, well, well. Guess big G's up for all the golds this year, the way this is going. And how ironic this is going to be if he picks up the Oscars for a score that Disney couldn't even be bothered to release on CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Disney Shmisney. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hear what our man has to say. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    smile Nice. He looks sooooooooo young without beard and long hair!
  2. DemonStar wrote
    Hear what our man has to say. smile

Congratulations, Michael.

But doesn't the whole Hollywood thing just make you want to vomit

Christodoulides wrote
    He looks sooooooooo young without beard and long hair!

Yeah! I almost didn't recognise him!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Good score, but can you say hype? Out of the Marianelli, Morricone, Abel's "a single man", Christopher Gordon's works this year, Young's Creation, Desplat, Soderqvist's EFFIE BRIEST, DIE PÄPSTIN (POE JOAN) and all, UP is the best? Anyway, it's the americanized awards' talk each year over and over again. Who cares wink

Was Agora eligible for the award?

DemonStar wrote
    Hear what our man has to say.

....."people are starting to know your name" rolleyes

Talk for yourself you idiot.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you