• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I hate the Chase Through Coruscant cue... slant

I love it. One of my top action cues. F*cking awesome!

It's good until about half way through where it just decends to people randomly hitting pieces of wood. rolleyes

There is NOTHING random about it. While Taiko drumming I assume is mostly improv, when used for film scores each "hit" is written and played as written. I mean, are you going to tell me that John Williams is just going to let the percussion make shit up? Please... rolleyes

BTW, Chase Through Coruscant is easily one of the best Williams action cues to come along in a long time. And nothing in Indy IV even comes close. The Jungle Chase has fans of Williams and the Indy scores going berzerk it's because of it's very close resemblance to the final minutes of "Belly of the Steal Beast."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    NP:The First Knight (Goldsmith)

His most complete adventure - Epic Score.

IMHO much better than Lionheart.

The Love theme is sou thouching......

Camelot Lives! And Goldsmith too!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Nautilus wrote

Nicely said! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

Have you heard THE WIND AND THE LION Jordi?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    NP. Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris
    This is just great. Hopefully it will give me the right energy and spirit I need today.

Next I will listen to the Indy scores to compare those, just like the movies!

Still can't get enough of Basil eh Bregje? biggrin cool

NP : TOTAL RECALL - Jerry Goldsmith

Is this THE greatest action score EVER written?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Bregje wrote
    NP. Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris
    This is just great. Hopefully it will give me the right energy and spirit I need today.

Next I will listen to the Indy scores to compare those, just like the movies!

Still can't get enough of Basil eh Bregje? biggrin cool

It is definitely one of the all time best for sure.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    [

I love Goldsmith action scores! All of them. Including Total Recall.

However, as much as I find Total Recall to be powerful, awesome and brilliant (The Mutant WOW!) I still find it lacks the warmth his other action scores still had. Just a little bit too cold for me.

So I'd say no it's not the greatest action score ever written. Dispite how much I love it! If that makes sense?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yes.and No.
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    Il Clan Dei Siciliani - Ennio Morricone

A quite good score, but why it has to be so repeative? The main theme shows up in every track and it gets quite irritating. The best version of the theme is in the fifth track, Jeanne E La Spiaggia, which is the best track on the album in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And I still think it's the greatest non-Basil Basil score ever composed. biggrin punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    are you going to tell me that John Williams is just going to let the percussion make shit up? Please... rolleyes

Oh come on, of course he's written it all. rolleyes But that doesn't excuse the fact that it sounds like shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Prince Of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

Epic and emotional, this is truly one of the best Zimmer (and co.) scores out there. The songs are pretty good too.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    are you going to tell me that John Williams is just going to let the percussion make shit up? Please... rolleyes

Oh come on, of course he's written it all. rolleyes But that doesn't excuse the fact that it sounds like shit.

It doesn't sound like shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    People, people calm down!

Chill with this whole Indianosituation and play LOST SEASON 3 instead!

Officially joined the addicted to lost season 3 parade with Steven now that MY cD has arrived from Colosseum.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Doesn't sound like shit at all. And I think if we hear the piece in proper context (and not the edited crap we hear in the film) we would appreciate it a bit more.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

I mean, are you going to tell me that John Williams is just going to let the percussion make shit up?

Well, I have it on good authority that John Williams gave several guest colleges at MSU.
    And MSU obviously stands for Make Shit Up.
    So, you know, the evidence is, like, overwhelming!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I mean, are you going to tell me that John Williams is just going to let the percussion make shit up?

Well, I have it on good authority that John Williams gave several guest colleges at MSU.
    And MSU obviously stands for Make Shit Up.
    So, you know, the evidence is, like, overwhelming!

Bregt... where is the ignore function?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt... where is the ignore function?

What? Who? Eh? Which? No? What? Who?
    You said Chinese Cheese?

IJCOTKSLOL | john williams

Did I just hear Williams referencing to The Terminal, Heatbeeps and Star Wars Episode 2? shocked
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yes.and No.

confused

Sitting on the fence Jordi? That's really not like you wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    And I still think it's the greatest non-Basil Basil score ever composed. biggrin punk

beer

It only references Basil in the main title, was this an in-joke on Jerry's part or dreaded track-temping?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    IJCOTKSLOL | john williams

Did I just hear Williams referencing to The Terminal, Heatbeeps and Star Wars Episode 2? shocked

So, you thought, what, 'let's stirr this thing up some more'? 'The War of the Worlds and Star Wars 2 discussions have deadened, letz give zem sumtin' elz zu quack aboot'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

beer

It only references Basil in the main title, was this an in-joke on Jerry's part or dreaded track-temping?

I've always thought that was really very strange. Imagine it was temp-tracking but JG was usually a little more subtle about it! Perhaps Vehoeven just wanted it as an in-joke. Rest of the score is nothing like Poledouris. Brilliant action score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Prince Caspian

Door in the Air is one of the most touching pieces by HGW (well, this is not say very much... tongue ) But it's good!

It's a enjoyable score! YES IT IS! For a Background listening.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008
    NP: Horton Hears a Who

I like all the weird sounds. I love the whole thing, but the stand out cues are "Mountain Chase" and then the last 6 or 7 tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Prince Caspian

It's a enjoyable score! YES IT IS! For a Background listening.

Not sure I would have this play in background, but I agree with everything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008 edited
    NP: Iron Man

This score really grew on me. When I first got this CD, only a few track stood out. But now, after seeing the movie, I'm liking this more and more. It works really well for the movie and, knowing how it suppose to functions, makes for a better listening experience. Heck, my wifey even like the music and commented on it, to my complete surprise. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Chronicles of Narnia : Prince Caspian.

People needs to listen more carefully this score. Sure.

Ok, HGW style is becoming too familiar, bland, unfocused and the main theme is average and not very memorable.

But there's enough personality, soundscapes, texture and good melodies (from the first movie) to make a very, very interesting score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Chronicles of Narnia : Prince Caspian.

People needs to listen more carefully this score. Sure.

Ok, HGW style is becoming too familiar, bland, unfocused and the main theme is average and not very memorable.

But there's enough personality, soundscapes, texture and good melodies (from the first movie) to make a very, very interesting score.

No, the first point you made on what's wrong with the score (with which i agree btw) is more severe in comparison with the 2nd, the latter not able to counterbalance and make things ok for this score. I mean, soundscapes? Cliff Martinez and Elliot Goldenthal do soundscapes mate; Prince Caspian is a snoozfest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Green Mile Thomas Newman

A great score (more so in the film) to one of the greatest films I've ever seen.

"I'm in heaven..."