• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Ah, I see...

Well, I still think Zimmer´s score was full of thematic material perfectly suited to what Nolan had in mind. I guess a more regular listening would have helped you finding it in the score, but if the general style won´t fit your taste, it´s a lost cause, of course.

I can hum all the themes off by heart, I used to listen to this one a lot... but not anymore. I just think it needed better themes is all, but apart from that I think its thematic structure is actually quite good. So there you are, me admitting. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, I absolutely agree with this:

I still think Zimmer´s score was full of thematic material perfectly suited to what Nolan had in mind.

...and what Nolan had in mind is exactly what I'm saying was the problem in the first place! (IMO)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I might skip this score. Haven't heard it but reading, well, scrolling through this topic, made me realize I don't want to think so much and just forget about the score. Makes so much sense.

NO Bregt! You will sit there and you will listen! And you will either LOVE it or HATE it! There shall be no middle ground so help me god!

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BATMAN BEGINS REDUX PART II - 45.4 MG
    music by Christopher Young
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/bb_redux_young.mp4

Enjoy!

-Erik-

HOLY CRAP! Spider-Man III, right?

There's RUNAWAY JURY, HARD RAIN, SPIDER-MAN 3, and THE CORE in that clip.

Glad you liked it! This is so much fun that I might take another movie with another cruddy Zimmer score a replace it with something more traditional. Pirates of the Caribbean with John Debney's CutThroat Island anyone? wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    YES! Pleeeeease do. At the very least, I'll be able to show my mum what I've been trying to tell her all these years about those scores (and other people too). She's a big fan of them (which is fine, so am I - apart from the first one), but she's never believed me when I've said these films needed a more traditional approach to film scoring.

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!
  1. I really like your videos. For me the Elfman score worked fine. But I guess that has a lot to to with whether you have seen the movie before or not. Or even more what you've seen first, the scene with Zimmer's score or the one with the new music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited
    I just re-watched the original version of the Tumbler Chase with Zimmer and JNH's score and the one thing that REALLY irritates me about the music written for that scene is that it's not scene specific. There are no sync hits. It's just a pulsating synth beat with a few statements of the Batman theme and that's basically it. There are no changes in tempo. It seems like trailer music thrown underneath the scene. Personally, it doesn't add any intensity to the chase... it just there, not doing much of anything. And you know, the scene could have easily worked without any music.

I'm not saying the MY approach was the right one but where I think I topped the original is with the music right at the end of the chase. Rachel is dying and Batman has to get her to the Batcave was fast as possible to administer the antidote but the cops are holding him up. I wanted to give those last few moments just before the jump through the waterfall and Batman screaming "RACHEL!" way more suspence and intensity then there is in the original. IMHO, both the Elfman and the Young versions do that where Zimmer and JNH's failed.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Pirates of the Caribbean with John Debney's CutThroat Island anyone? wink

-Erik-

They did this one at Úbeda´s Congress last year as a joke. Kinda bizarre once you´ve watched the movie with Zimmer´s score. It was fun, but nothing else. As much as I considder Cutthroat Island a masterpiece, I don´t see the point doing these montages. But hey, have fun! wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    I don´t see the point doing these montages. But hey, have fun! wink

There's your answer right there. It's fun! Plus, it sparks some debate.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

You won´t see it as funny if somebody did the same with Williams or Goldenthal.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Pirates of the Caribbean with John Debney's CutThroat Island anyone? wink

-Erik-

They did this one at Úbeda´s Congress last year as a joke. Kinda bizarre once you´ve watched the movie with Zimmer´s score. It was fun, but nothing else. As much as I considder Cutthroat Island a masterpiece, I don´t see the point doing these montages. But hey, have fun! wink

Don't see the point? Well apart from being very interesting to hear different music in a film, it also proves that when you have a better score, it makes a film/scene better.

It's a great idea actually, this is a FILM MUSIC forum after all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

'Funny'? No. Interesting and fun? Yeah, I think it would be. Point is, these two composes generally get it right first time round, so there's not so much need to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Fun not funny! And I can do it with a Williams score as well.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Fun not funny! And I can do it with a Williams score as well.

-Erik-

biggrin

Fun indeed! Do it Erik, I'd love to hear and see what you come up with.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    "RACHEL!" way more suspence and intensity then there is in the original.
    -Erik-

There are a moment where the note is played a little longer and then a crescendo biggrin

it's eficient enough.

anyway I agree, I think "molossus" is cool, but like many other Zimmer action tracks, they don't follow the scene (From King Artur to Tears of the Sun). That's why i like Peamaker or At world's End, they are more scores than single compositions .
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In general I much prefer film music which takes a step back rather than directly hitting all the action points, and I imagine that's what the director/comoposers have aimed at in the two Batman films, but for my money it's just been taken too far. If you make the music almost entirely divorced from the emotional mood of the scene then you remove the purpose of the music being there in the first place. Now, music can just be an aesthetic "final gloss" rather than being a fundamental part of it, and it usually plays that role for music-unfriendly directors, but Nolan seems to go even further than that by having music there, but making sure it's music which does absolutely nothing for the scene at all. For me JNH saying "the object of the music was to say nothing" would be like Christian Bale saying "the main objective of my performance was to say nothing about this character" or the production designer doing the same, or the cinematographer, etc. It just makes a mockery of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

BATMAN BEGINS REDUX PART II - 45.4 MG
    music by Christopher Young
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/bb_redux_young.mp4

Enjoy!

-Erik-

Wow, the whole thing just gotten more loud and annoying. There's a whole lot of notes to just assault the ears. Note that I really like the pieces that you've chosen. They worked really well in the movies that was made for them, but they barely functional here. You've really redefined the whole sonic wallpaper issue that you've so railed against. You've created some forward motion, yet, by adding more orchestral chaos, which then has to compete with the sound effects and audio and visual, you've over-exaggerated the whole thing to almost near camp. But as long as you're happy with the result spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You really are Justin 2.0! shocked

"Justin Boggan, film music fan. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first Batman Begins score fan. Justin Boggan will be that man. More bitchy than he was before. Bitchier, stronger, more condensing. Lp Man!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

No doubt!

lp wrote

Wow, the whole thing just gotten more loud and annoying. There's a whole lot of notes to just assault the ears.

Well, it's FAR from a proper mix.

lp wrote
    You've really redefined the whole sonic wallpaper issue that you've so railed against. You've created some forward motion, yet, by adding more orchestral chaos, which then has to compete with the sound effects and audio and visual, you've over-exaggerated the whole thing to almost near camp.

Again, not a proper mix and of course the music isn't composed for this scene specifically, timing it all out took some time and it's far from perfect but it's far from sonic wallpaper. Sonic wallaper is music that is there but as absolutely no meaning whatsoever. IMHO, Zimmer and JNH's original cue is sonic wallpaper. Read James' post above yours.

lp wrote
    But as long as you're happy with the result spin

I don't do these videos just to satisfy my own curiosities. It's here to spark some sort of friendly, intelligent debate.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

"Justin Boggan, film music fan. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first Batman Begins score fan. Justin Boggan will be that man. More bitchy than he was before. Bitchier, stronger, more condensing. Lp Man!"

FYI, I'm not a Batman Begins fan. I'm a hater of whiny bitchy film music fans who thinks they know what's best for somebody else's movie. I'm LP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

FYI, I'm not a Batman Begins fan. I'm a hater of whiny bitchy film music fans who thinks they know what's best for somebody else's movie. I'm LP.

Oh grow up! Have some fun will ya.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

You're the one who's being bitchy! biggrin

As has been said time after time, this is a film music forum where we actually discuss our opinions about film music. That includes discussing what we think would work better in certain films. We're the audience after all, we're the ones who watch these movies and we are well withing our right to complain about them if we don't like certain aspects of them - as long as we explain our points intelligibly, which I think most of us have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ What he said!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

^
    beat me to it.

And well said Steven too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

Well, it's FAR from a proper mix.

That's not the point. There's no point to have so many notes just to have to dial it all down in the end. The scene did need more tension, and Hans's cue didn't absolutely deliver it, but an upfront minimalistic approach still worked better (or rather functioned better) than a dialed down cue of orchestral bombast such as the one you were proposing.

Erik Woods wrote

I don't do these video just to satisfy my own curiosities. It's here to spark some sort of friendly, intelligent debate.

Am I not friendly? Am I Not Merciful? I understand that many people would like something more orchestral, but only you have been able to articulate that need so clear with the videos. Yet both time, the only impression I could get from those videos is that even if the music is overwrought and bombastic to the point o inappropriateness, people would still want it because it's not a Hans Zimmer cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Still waiting for you wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Still waiting for you wave

Way ahead of you, pal.

lp wrote
    That's not the point. There's no point to have so many notes just to have to dial it all down in the end. The scene did need more tension, and Hans's cue didn't absolutely deliver it, but an upfront minimalistic approach still worked better (or rather functioned better) than a dialed down cue of orchestral bombast such as the one you were proposing.

According to you... which is just fine and dandy!

lp wrote
    ...people would still want it because it's not a Hans Zimmer cue.

No, because Zimmer is more than capable of delivering the goods. The real problem here is the director and his wants. If he gave Zimmer and JNH some more creative freedom I think that they could have done something remarkable.... something more than an ordinary, plain, functional score that plays in the movie.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

As has been said time after time, this is a film music forum where we actually discuss our opinions about film music. That includes discussing what we think would work better in certain films. We're the audience after all, we're the ones who watch these movies and we are well withing our right to complain about them if we don't like certain aspects of them - as long as we explain our points intelligibly, which I think most of us have.

moon There!!! There's my point.

You guys sound like a broken record all the time. Time to think of new things to say. You guys call me bitchy, but I'm only dissenting against the bitchy ones.

Your Reign of Fire was great cause it's more in line with the minimalist idea, but it still is a bit unfocused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    You guys sound like a broken record all the time. Time to think of new things to say. You guys call me bitchy, but I'm only dissenting against the bitchy ones.

And you are doing the exact something labeling anyone who doesn't like a Zimmer score or his music in general bitchy.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

moon There!!! There's my point.

Your Reign of Fire was great cause it's more in line with the minimalist idea, but it still is a bit unfocused.

kiss

Love you too man.