• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    You guys sound like a broken record all the time. Time to think of new things to say. You guys call me bitchy, but I'm only dissenting against the bitchy ones.

And you are doing the exact something labeling anyone who doesn't like a Zimmer score or his music in general bitchy.

-Erik-

No, I'm labeling people who doesn't have anything better to say than (paraphrasing here) : "Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is bland and Danny Elfman's theme would have worked better regardless of the intention of the filmmakers, but let's concede and say that Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is still bland and let's prefer to have "X" composer instead because he can provide a more bombastic theme and a more orchestral score regardless of how it would work with the intention of the filmmakers". I'm labeling those people bitchy, cause I've read more about that drivel than actual discussion about the score.

There was a guy who posted his opinion about the "Why So Serious" track and said he found it unfocused and uninspiring, to which I seriously asked why. Any resulting discussions would have been helpful in actually helping to understand the score beyond, maybe, "Elfman's theme for the Joker would have worked better".
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

kiss

Love you too man.

Justin 2.0 Mode Activated!!!! >>>> crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited
    lp wrote

No, I'm labeling people who doesn't have anything better to say than (paraphrasing here) : "Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is bland and Danny Elfman's theme would have worked better regardless of the intention of the filmmakers,

Which is true by the way. Ok, all joking aside. I still stand my my comments that Nolan did a disservice to his fantastic film by not allowing it to have a more interesting score. I don't care who's working on it...

lp wrote
    but let's concede and say that Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is still bland and let's prefer to have "X" composer instead because he can provide a more bombastic theme and a more orchestral score regardless of how it would work with the intention of the filmmakers".

I still think that most composers are leagues ahead of Zimmer and probably would have put up more of a fight to have their voice heard instead of bowing down to the Lord and Savor that is Chris Nolan. But then again, it's a job - don't want to get fired, do what the boss says.

Anyway, I think Nolan needs to wake up and give his composers some more creative freedom to let them do their job properly without so many restrictions and Zimmer needs to stop writing such bland, uninteresting, generic, trailer music, power anthem, garbage that has no real identity to the film that it belongs to. The Batman score is all transferable. Whew!

lp wrote
    There was a guy who posted his opinion about the "Why So Serious" track and said he found it unfocused and uninspiring, to which I seriously asked why. Any resulting discussions would have been helpful in actually helping to understand the score beyond, maybe, "Elfman's theme for the Joker would have worked better".

I actually never liked the circus music in Batman. It was my only real turn off of an otherwise brilliant effort.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

Which is true by the way. Ok, all joking aside. I still stand my my comments that Nolan did a disservice to his fantastic film by not allowing it to have a more interesting score. I don't care who's working on it...

That I absolutely believe to be true. Hans and James could have done a different score too with the Molossus theme more upfront and centered, with a less intensive focus on ambience.

I still think that most composers are leagues ahead of Zimmer and probably would have put up more of a fight to have their voice heard instead of bowing down to the Lord and Savor that is Chris Nolan.

It's his movie, his choice.

But then again, it's a job - don't want to get fired, do what the boss says.

Yeah.

Anyway, I think Nolan needs to wake up and give his composers some more creative freedom to let them do their job properly without so many restrictions and Zimmer needs to stop writing such bland, uninteresting, generic, trailer music, power anthem, garbage that has no real identity to the film that it belongs to. The Batman score is all transferable. Whew!

I appreciate your opinion, but it's old x infinity and you're not adding anything new to your biased argument. And you forgot James Newton Howard.

[b]
    I actually never liked the circus music in Batman. It was my only real turn off of an otherwise brilliant effort.

I thought it worked quite well with the Joker character that Jack Nicholson was putting forth. Danny Elfman took it more literal with the clown aspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I really doubt that Hans Zimmer or JNH need to bow down to anybody these days. If they thought Nolan was wrong, they just would have gone over to the next project. And again, I think Nolan did his film a service to not call upon a "heroic" theme. Thanks to Erik´s first video, I saw what would have happened. It was the right choice not to do that. And that heroic theme is the only thing that´s "missing" from the BB score. There are lots of themes and thematic ideas, which is a lot more than Nolan got for The Prestige (which by itself was a cool decision; I thought the score for The Prestige was bloody brilliant, but I know what most people think, so no need to remind me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

That I absolutely believe to be true. Hans and James could have done a different score too with the Molossus theme more upfront and centered, with a less intensive focus on ambience.

Crazy... but I think I agree with you.

lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I still think that most composers are leagues ahead of Zimmer and probably would have put up more of a fight to have their voice heard instead of bowing down to the Lord and Savor that is Chris Nolan.

It's his movie, his choice.

Of course it is... but I have every right to disagree with the way he makes his movies,,, or at least the way he handles the music in his film... especially the Batman films.

lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I appreciate your opinion, but it's old x infinity and you're not adding anything new to your biased argument. And you forgot James Newton Howard.

First of all, I am a very open-minded film music fan. My hate towards Zimmer's music isn't because it's fashionable. I've been listening to his music for years and I have a ton of Zimmer scores in my collection. My opinions concerning Zimmer are completely my own. Bad music is just that... bad music. Again, I don't care who wrote it. If it stinks, it stinks... and too me Zimmer's music stinks most of all. However, he does suprise me from time to time and that is a real pleasure. Earlier on in his career I was a big fan. For instance, I played The Rock, Crimson Tide, Backdraft and Rain Man a lot. And the Milan compilation album with music from Zimmer's early years scoring British films is a delight. I still continue to play those scores but I grew up and fell in love with a more symphonic, classic approach to film scores so those will always catch my ear before any Hans Zimmer score will.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. It seems you want to put the full blame on the directors and producers for the blandness of some Zimmer scores. I will repeat this one more time... I do like a pile of Zimmer scores but I think he is way better then what he was told to come up with for Batman. As for forgetting JNH... dood, Zimmers voice almost completely drowns out JNH's. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are mostly Zimmer styled scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    I might skip this score. Haven't heard it but reading, well, scrolling through this topic, made me realize I don't want to think so much and just forget about the score. Makes so much sense.

You won't have to think anything; you'll be asleep by the time you reach the 4th track on CD.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

Crazy... but I think I agree with you.

shocked punk

Of course it is... but I have every right to disagree with the way he makes his movies,,, or at least the way he handles the music in his film... especially the Batman films.

No doubt. I like his vision of Batman and can understand why the resulting music is such. I tend to judge a score based on how it function in the movie, which would then affect how I view it as listening experience. As a theatrical experience, it's perfectly not overdone.

But you want to put the full blame on the directors and producers for the blandness of some Zimmer scores. I will repeat this one more time... I do like a pile of Zimmer scores but I think he is way better then what he was told to come up with for Batman. As for forgetting JNH... dood, Zimmers voice almost completely drowns out JNH's. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are mostly Zimmer styled scores.

-Erik-

Thematically, maybe. I know that the "Myotis" track was done by JNH and it sounded like Hans too. I do know that once the sound scheme templates are agreed between the two composer, it's not hard to replicate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    In general I much prefer film music which takes a step back rather than directly hitting all the action points,

Me too. And although not tightly tied with this, still this is one of the main reasons i hate mickey mousing (among others).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    In general I much prefer film music which takes a step back rather than directly hitting all the action points,

Me too. And although not tightly tied with this, still this is one of the main reasons i hate mickey mousing (among others).

I don't want a score that hits ALL the sych points, either... but I do think that mickey mousing and having the music follow along with the action is a die art form. So when there is a change in emotion or by speeding up the tempo and adding some more complex layers to the music to make a certain point in a scene more suspenseful... that what I would like to hear. A constant drone for 5 minutes doesn't take any special skill to produce.

-Erik-
  1. Personally, I feel much more tension when an action track builds up its rhythm and stays with it instead of constantly adapting to what´s happening on screen. That´s why my favourite action track ever will be The Final Battle from the Rambo III score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Personally, I feel much more tension when an action track builds up its rhythm and stays with it instead of constantly adapting to what´s happening on screen.

You described one of my favorite action tracks of all time... "The Desert Chase" from Raiders. The building and building of the Raiders rhythm starting half way through the chase is truly brilliant. I love how they start off nice a slow but Williams continues to slowing speed things along until the ultimate demise of the Nazi underneath the truck. And even all the sync hits in the first half of the track are dynamite as well. A great combo of two different approaches to the action track.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    You really are Justin 2.0! shocked

"Justin Boggan, film music fan. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first Batman Begins score fan. Justin Boggan will be that man. More bitchy than he was before. Bitchier, stronger, more condensing. Lp Man!"

FYI, I'm not a Batman Begins fan. I'm a hater of whiny bitchy film music fans who thinks they know what's best for somebody else's movie. I'm LP.

Like we say Bond, James Bond?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    You described one of my favorite action tracks of all time... "The Desert Chase" from Raiders.

Interesting. Yeah, that´s an amazing track and, as you said, a great combo of approaches. punk

But I only love it because it´s so long and stays with each seperate rhythm long enough to get to something. As a one or two minute track this would have been... not so good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    I understand that many people would like something more orchestral, but only you have been able to articulate that need so clear with the videos. Yet both time, the only impression I could get from those videos is that even if the music is overwrought and bombastic to the point o inappropriateness, people would still want it because it's not a Hans Zimmer cue.

Mate, that is not the problem. I can guarantee you that most people will go crazy over a mix that will properly feature fitting bombastic Zimmer music from previous scores instead of the TDK drone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I really doubt that Hans Zimmer or JNH need to bow down to anybody these days. If they thought Nolan was wrong, they just would have gone over to the next project.

In an ideal romantic world, you'd be right. For good or for bad, you're very wrong in the real world of money and business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    I understand that many people would like something more orchestral, but only you have been able to articulate that need so clear with the videos. Yet both time, the only impression I could get from those videos is that even if the music is overwrought and bombastic to the point o inappropriateness, people would still want it because it's not a Hans Zimmer cue.

Mate, that is not the problem. I can guarantee you that most people will go crazy over a mix that will properly feature fitting bombastic Zimmer music from previous scores instead of the TDK drone.

Is that a CHALLENGE?!?!?!?! spin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

First of all, I am a very open-minded film music fan. My hate towards Zimmer's music isn't because it's fashionable. I've been listening to his music for years and I have a ton of Zimmer scores in my collection. My opinions concerning Zimmer are completely my own. Bad music is just that... bad music. Again, I don't care who wrote it. If it stinks, it stinks... and too me Zimmer's music stinks most of all. However, he does suprise me from time to time and that is a real pleasure. Earlier on in his career I was a big fan. For instance, I played The Rock, Crimson Tide, Backdraft and Rain Man a lot. And the Milan compilation album with music from Zimmer's early years scoring British films is a delight. I still continue to play those scores but I grew up and fell in love with a more symphonic, classic approach to film scores so those will always catch my ear before any Hans Zimmer score will.

Indeed, i can safely say that for Erik as well and for myself too. I can't stand stuff i consider to be bad music either, no matter where it comes from. I wonder if you LP and Ralph (you come in mind now, nothing personal wink ) actually have a ZImmer score that you despise?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. It seems you want to put the full blame on the directors and producers for the blandness of some Zimmer scores. I will repeat this one more time... I do like a pile of Zimmer scores but I think he is way better then what he was told to come up with for Batman. As for forgetting JNH... dood, Zimmers voice almost completely drowns out JNH's. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are mostly Zimmer styled scores.

-Erik-

Indeed. JNH runs behind big Z in this and the previous collaboration they had on Batman, it is evident on every single note and anyone can tell.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I really doubt that Hans Zimmer or JNH need to bow down to anybody these days. If they thought Nolan was wrong, they just would have gone over to the next project.

In an ideal romantic world, you'd be right. For good or for bad, you're very wrong in the real world of money and business.

Is that so? I mean, you could be right about JNH, but if Zimmer didn´t want to do a score, he could always hand it down to one of his minions or not? And if he absolutely despised the director´s wishes, don´t you think Zimmer´s position in business would have allowed him to skip an assignment? I am really asking because I don´t know the facts and obviously thought wrong...

Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I can guarantee you that most people will go crazy over a mix that will properly feature fitting bombastic Zimmer music from previous scores instead of the TDK drone.

Is that a CHALLENGE?!?!?!?! spin

well, I´d certainly love hearing that one.

Christodoulides wrote
    I wonder if you LP and Ralph (you come in mind now, nothing personal wink ) actually have a ZImmer score that you despise?

Despise would be the wrong word, but I have problems with most of his romantic / romantic comedy scores. While most of them have highlights, generally, I nearly never listen to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    As amazing as it might sound to you all, filmmaking tends to be a collaborative experience. While Nolan is certainly responsible for the end result of his film, it's not true that HZ and JNH 'merely did his bidding, and would have been fired if they dared propose something other than Nolan originally envisioned'.

If every composer who was asked to do something they didn't want to do (by the director) left the project, there would be a LOT of unemployed composers in Hollywood. Similarly, though, if every director got EXACTLY what he wanted, without considering the composers' suggestions on what might improve the film, you'd end up with a lot of crap.

I'm sure one could argue that is the case with most films, but my point is that it's a collaboration and while the director usually is responsible for the direction of a film's score, it's the composer who ultimately composes it. (That I have to write that blindingly obviously comment is sad.)
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    dgoldwas wrote
    As amazing as it might sound to you all, filmmaking tends to be a collaborative experience. While Nolan is certainly responsible for the end result of his film, it's not true that HZ and JNH 'merely did his bidding, and would have been fired if they dared propose something other than Nolan originally envisioned'.

If every composer who was asked to do something they didn't want to do (by the director) left the project, there would be a LOT of unemployed composers in Hollywood. Similarly, though, if every director got EXACTLY what he wanted, without considering the composers' suggestions on what might improve the film, you'd end up with a lot of crap.

I'm sure one could argue that is the case with most films, but my point is that it's a collaboration and while the director usually is responsible for the direction of a film's score, it's the composer who ultimately composes it. (That I have to write that blindingly obviously comment is sad.)

So you're saying that what Tyler Bates did for 300 is partly his own will and personal creation as well?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

D, if you think about it, a lot of the score from Lost is actually mickey mousing. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    dgoldwas wrote

But he has the last say... that's if he has all the creative control.

dgoldwas wrote

Hence a lot of the crap that has come out in the past 3 or 4 years.

dgoldwas wrote

Sure it's a collaboration but some directors and producers don't have a clue what the word collaboration means. It's their way or the highway. For instance, if the director wants a cue to sound exactly like the temp track, even if the composer disagrees, he or she must ultimately sound like the temp track because that's what the director wants. You know that, Dan.

Just look at The Hitchcock/Herrmann collaboration and what ultimately destroyed it. Hitchcock wanted a particular sound for Torn Curtain, Herrmann gave him something else, Hitch hated it, and the relationship was over. <-- There is obviously more to that story but that basically sums it up. Anyway, Herrmann walks out and Hitch get his score from someone else. Not saying that's the correct way to go about things but ultimately the director (or the studio in this case) gets the sound and score they want. If the composer isn't willing to do that... then the director will find someone else who can. It's sad but true!

dgoldwas wrote
    (That I have to write that blindingly obviously comment is sad.)

Get off your high horse, Dan. You speak to us like we are idiots.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

D, if you think about it, a lot of the score from Lost is actually mickey mousing. tongue

Was talking about the traditional mickey mousing wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Was talking about the traditional mickey mousing wink

rolleyes dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed, i can safely say that for Erik as well and for myself too. I can't stand stuff i consider to be bad music either, no matter where it comes from. I wonder if you LP and Ralph (you come in mind now, nothing personal wink ) actually have a ZImmer score that you despise?

In the movie? Or on album?

Indeed. JNH runs behind big Z in this and the previous collaboration they had on Batman, it is evident on every single note and anyone can tell.

Based on the album(s)? Or on the score in the respective movies? Or based on an idea that JNH's contribution is merely of the orchestral kind? Or ......
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who are you now, THOR?

ZIMMER'S stamp is everywhere, orchestration (the synthy sound and pads, the big bold brass, the library-sounding strings and the enhanced physical strings), rhythmic and melodic wise (chord procession, the trademarked Zimmer theme(s)) Zimmer's sound is everywhere and JNH is nowhere to be heard than the few clearly different, more refined, far more offbeat, string driven pieces he's contributed for both the scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who are you now, THOR?

No, I'm not the Norse God of Thunder. I wasn't being facetious. Lots of Zimmer's work doesn't jive completely with the movie, but they are unique to the movie and most of the time works well on album as purely listening experiences. The Batman stuff doesn't work very well on album at all, but they suits the movie superbly, with the exception of Molossus which works only as a standalone piece away from the film.

Christodoulides wrote
    ZIMMER'S stamp is everywhere, orchestration (the synthy sound and pads, the big bold brass, the library-sounding strings and the enhanced physical strings), rhythmic and melodic wise (chord procession, the trademarked Zimmer theme(s)) Zimmer's sound is everywhere and JNH is nowhere to be heard than the few clearly different, more refined, far more offbeat, string driven pieces he's contributed for both the scores.

So you answered the question of "Or based on an idea that JNH's contribution is merely of the orchestral kind?". Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, it's based on the idea that it's totally different than that of Zimmer who btw carries a very distinct and unmistakable sound in BB. Can't you hear it? The huge difference in all musical aspects between Zimmer cues and JNH's? It'll get very retarded if you actually say no.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Christodoulides wrote
    So you're saying that what Tyler Bates did for 300 is partly his own will and personal creation as well?

No one held a gun to his head (at least, as far as I know).

Erik Woods wrote
    Sure it's a collaboration but some directors and producers don't have a clue what the word collaboration means. It's their way or the highway. For instance, if the director wants a cue to sound exactly like the temp track, even if the composer disagrees, he or she must ultimately sound like the temp track because that's what the director wants. You know that, Dan.

Oh certainly, and it's a shame when that does happen. Temp love is never a good thing, and I'd be the first to stand up and say that it's disheartening when a composer is unable to take a stand against a director who insists on sticking (or ripping off) the temp. But you have to pick your battles, and sometimes it's not worth it.

If the composer isn't willing to do that... then the director will find someone else who can. It's sad but true!

Indeed - and since a lot of composers have bills to pay, etc., sometimes they do what needs to be done.

dgoldwas wrote
    (That I have to write that blindingly obviously comment is sad.)

Get off your high horse, Dan. You speak to us like we are idiots.

Wow, project much? I meant that the fact I had to write that a director DIRECTS and a composer COMPOSES is kinda sad.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it