• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Same way as someone could judge Star Wars for being unrealistic or showing civilizations and planets that don't exist, for instance.

How do you know?
    HOW DO YOU KNOW?
    angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mumbo jumbo.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tim...are you channeling Tom? shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Tim...are you channeling Tom? shocked

More mumbo jumbo?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    AS i said: label it as you want. If you label it "Fantasy", this makes my point even stronger. wink If you accuse such a film for lack of common sense or logic, it's unfair and austere, imo. Same way as someone could judge Star Wars for being unrealistic or showing civilizations and planets that don't exist, for instance.

Forgetting the fact that I'm not really that bothered by Gandalf on the flying beast, and that it was said more in jest than a serious point, it's not really the same as judging Star Wars for being unrealistic by showing civilizations on a planet that don't exist. No even remotely. In fact, it's a bit of a non-sequitur since my point about Gandalf is why couldn't he have done that in the first place? That's an entirely different use of logic or common sense that questioning the veracity of the historical and factual accuracy of a film like Star Wars.

Jesus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but could the Enterprise take on a Star Destroyer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    In fact, it's a bit of a non-sequitur since my point about Gandalf is why couldn't he have done that in the first place?

But surely I addressed that definitively on the last page?

Or did we now land in the murky waters of swamp planet Meta-Discussion?
    (In which case I'll happily quarantaine the whole damn star system and leave you to it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    In fact, it's a bit of a non-sequitur since my point about Gandalf is why couldn't he have done that in the first place?

But surely I addressed that definitively on the last page?

Or did we now land in the murky waters of swamp planet Meta-Discussion?
    (In which case I'll happily quarantaine the whole damn star system and leave you to it)

Yes, I read it. wink It's not that I forget Tolkien's motives to write The Lord Of the Rings, and I understand -just as Demetris does- it's about Grand Themes... I'm just trying to show Demetris that comparing the slight plot hole at the end of Return of the King (that I pointed out mostly in jest) to alien civilizations in Star Wars as a similar forgoing of logic is a complete and utter non-sequitur! dizzy (And that Lord of the Rings IS fantasy, regardless of what I want to call it or not.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep.
    I can hear Courage's 'duel' theme coming through loud and clear.

Have at it, gentlemen.
    I'm sure to monitor your progess when I pass through this star system in another 3 years or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That early? You have far too much faith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, but could the Enterprise take on a Star Destroyer?

Well that depends. Star Destroyers are overwhelmingly controlled by Storm Troopers... and we all know how well-trained they are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Very true, very true.
    On the other hand, security and weapons on board the Enterprise are handled by red shirts.

(Excellent argument by the way, young master Steven. A most refreshing change from the more literal-minded debates I have seen rage on his age-old topic - though the conclusion apparently always turns out to be a sulking stalemate.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Very true, very true.
    On the other hand, security and weapons on board the Enterprise are handled by red shirts.

(Excellent argument by the way, young master Steven. A most refreshing change from the more literal-minded debates I have seen rage on his age-old topic - though the conclusion apparently always turns out to be a sulking stalemate.)

Excellent last link lol

As to the question, I think the Enterprise wins everytime, how can it lose with Kirk at the helm?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Final Conflict

An exceedingly silly film yet somehow completely watchable. But the score... just how the hell did Goldsmith come up with that? I've waited for years to see what some of those cues accompany. "The Second Coming" accompanies some people watching a 1980 computer show three dots moving towards each other - I couldn't believe it. I was expecting some sort of grand, lavish spectacle of Jesus walking on the earth. The stunning finale just accompanies some text from the bible! I just can't believe he came up with such magnificent music (one of my top ten favourite film scores) for that film.

Y'know, because it took a few years for the score to be released ( it seemed like it would never get a release ) I went to see this ( 'watchable' is the right description ) numerous times just to get a fix of THAT score.

Also one of my favourite scores. There are several instances I can think of where you could remove Goldsmith's score and the on-screen antics would be laughable!!

I just love the scene where Damien sets all the beagles on of the religious types: it gives me goosebumps. But watch it without the music and it's just a group of loveable beagles licking a guy who can't stay on his feet.

I couldn't find a clip of this specific scene but I did find THIS! ...and some other clips from the same concert(s).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    Rescue Dawn

A wonderful film, completely gripping. Christian Bale is excellent. Klaus Badelt's score is outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Rescue Dawn

A wonderful film, completely gripping. Christian Bale is excellent. Klaus Badelt's score is outstanding.

omg

Must.watch

(the score is brilliant, in all terms, indeed)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What the hell was this guy doing being wasted at Remote Control for all those years? I couldn't quite believe this score, the first of his that I've heard since The Promise (which I thought was OK, but a bit overrated). Have any of his subsequent scores been this good?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Rescue Dawn

A very 'Hollywood' effort from Herzog but yeah, a very gripping and watchable film. Badelt's score is very good too, I was pleasently surprised.

p.s. I thought The Promise was a superb score, a bit too long on CD though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    What the hell was this guy doing being wasted at Remote Control for all those years? I couldn't quite believe this score, the first of his that I've heard since The Promise (which I thought was OK, but a bit overrated). Have any of his subsequent scores been this good?

I love that opening scene for Rescue Dawn. It's a lot like what DePalma would do.

I don't think Badelt has done anything as good as Rescue Dawn. Of his later works I like Pour Elle. I also like Beat The Drum but that's probably more Djawadi than Badelt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Le Professionnel
    The Morricone score was as mono-thematic as I've ever heard. I do not recall hearing anything aside from n-variations of the main theme.

I haven't seen the movie, but from listening to the album I'd describe it as di-thematic. The le vent le cri theme is indeed repeated alot, but the secondary theme using the BACH motif is very cool and is dominant on the album as well-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKjG2iSgp0I

Peter smile

Drat! I can't remember hearing this piece in the movie. Shows how attentive I was.
    Thanks for the link!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH

A restrained, moving and highly original ensemble drama with constantly shifting, colourful imagery and strikingly understated performances. The script is excellent, with Emmerich convincingly and seamlessly blending an intriguing sci-fi premise with subtle, thought-provoking commentary on the nature of both humanity and politics. The film leaves you emotionally drained and with a lot to think about. Highly recommended.
  1. LSH wrote

A restrained, moving and highly original ensemble drama with constantly shifting, colourful imagery and strikingly understated performances. The script is excellent, with Emmerich convincingly and seamlessly blending an intriguing sci-fi premise with subtle, thought-provoking commentary on the nature of both humanity and politics. The film leaves you emotionally drained and with a lot to think about. Highly recommended.

If that's a parody, you keep a straight face well sir!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote

I love that opening scene for Rescue Dawn. It's a lot like what DePalma would do.

I don't think Badelt has done anything as good as Rescue Dawn. Of his later works I like Pour Elle. I also like Beat The Drum but that's probably more Djawadi than Badelt.

I agree, Beat the Drum and Pour Elle are worth checking out, esp. the first which is gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    LSH wrote

If that's a parody, you keep a straight face well sir!

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Razor's Edge

A drama from 1984 with Bill Murray in the lead. He also wrote the script together with the director. The movie was made of the novel by W. Somerset Maugham and is about a man who tries to find the meaning of his life.
    I love Murray, but his face, his features just don't make him a believable dramatic actor. That was my main problem with this movie. His cynical facial expression and occasional funny moments didn't match the character he was playing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote

I agree, Beat the Drum and Pour Elle are worth checking out, esp. the first which is gorgeous.

Oh yes - I have heard Beat the Drum, I forgot. Liked it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    Widow's Peak
    Mia Farrow, Natasha Richardson, Jim Broadbent, Joan Plowright. A decent Brit flick with a bit of comedy and murder mystery but it plods around for a bit before getting interesting. Outstanding pastoral theme for the opening and end titles by Carl Davis.

Caramel (Sukkar Banat)
    Lovely! This little Lebanese film swept me away. It's a bit like Steel Magnolias in the plot (lives of women who meet at a local beauty parlor) but the Lebanese setting and culture made it all the more touching. A beautiful score by Khaled Mouzanar (married to the director and leading actress; lucky chap)! Check out this gorgeous cue-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0m5wvmUor8
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BhelPuri wrote
    Widow's Peak
    Outstanding pastoral theme for the opening and end titles by Carl Davis.

Good of you to comment on that. It's a real snoozer for Davis, and I like this CD a LOT, actually!