• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    Looks like I'm the only one here who has!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Me neither.

I've seen Curb. It's fantastic.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited
    I'm a huge SEINFELD buff and seen 95% of the episodes....multiple times! It's easy because this show ALWAYS plays somewhere in Norwegian media. It's been going in reruns ever since it first aired in the early 90's and onwards. Early mornings, afternoons, late evenings etc.

Maybe it wasn't as massively popular down on the continent as it was up here?

CURB is good, but it's basically a distilled version of SEINFELD (with more Larry David and less Jerry Seinfeld).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I must add my voice to those who haven't seen Seinfeld.

I absolutely love Curb Your Enthusiasm and I agree with James on Six Feet Under, great series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    CURB is good, but it's basically a distilled version of SEINFELD (with more Larry David and less Jerry Seinfeld).

That's interesting because to me it seems the other way round. I guess it's because I watched them in the "wrong order" but Seinfeld seems like the sanitised-for-network-tv version of Curb.
  1. Seinfeld was so huge in the U.S. It's hard for me to imagine so many of you being unfamiliar with it. I thought it was good to great. Haven't seen Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Seinfeld was so huge in the U.S. It's hard for me to imagine so many of you being unfamiliar with it. I thought it was good to great. Haven't seen Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I'm familiar with it being popular and it was very popular here in the UK, personally it was on at a wrong time on a wrong night for me which is why I never watched it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I think Seinfeld is brilliant. I love all those curious observations and unwritten laws in modern society that it deals with, the strange and flawed personalities and the four main characters in particular. I've seen an episode of Curb, and while it wasn't as overtly funny, it had many of the same themes and odd personalities. I doubt I could fall for Curb though, as I was slightly bored during that one episode I tried.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I *have* seen Seinfeld, and thoroughly dislike it.
    Unfunny, plotless goings-on with the most annoyingly hysterical and neurotic (in the most painfully unfunny way) New York freaks you have ever seen. Most of the dialogue involve shouting, facial and body twitches that wouldn't be amiss if the entire cast was being subjected to shock therapy, and the most unnatural, uncomfortable intonation and inflection this side of Scooby Doo's Shaggy.

I greatly prefer the acerbic Curb Your Enthusiasm, in which the main character is actually supposed to be unlikable.

The ONLY funny episode of Seinfeld I have ever seen is the one in which one of the hapless group unwittingly starts a style trend by eating a Mars bar with knife and fork.
    That's it.
    The rest is terrible. Terrible.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wait... do you like it or not? It's not at all clear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited
    Love it. Brilliant
    Almost as enjoyable as finding the entire cast of Friends tracking canine faeces on your carpet.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012
    I've given up on American television and am finally catching up on some sorely missed British comedy: Green Wing, Peep Show and The IT Crowd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited
    plindboe wrote
    I think Seinfeld is brilliant. I love all those curious observations and unwritten laws in modern society that it deals with, the strange and flawed personalities and the four main characters in particular. I've seen an episode of Curb, and while it wasn't as overtly funny, it had many of the same themes and odd personalities. I doubt I could fall for Curb though, as I was slightly bored during that one episode I tried.

Peter smile

Glad to see at least one other SEINFELD fan here. I'm flabbergasted by the rest of the crowd here. Maybe it's one of those relatively few cases where Scandinavian and US comedy sentiments mesh particularly well?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I've given up on American television and am finally catching up on some sorely missed British comedy: Green Wing, Peep Show and The IT Crowd.

I love Peep Show and The IT Crowd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Glad to see at least one other SEINFELD fan here. I'm flabbergasted by the rest of the crowd here. Maybe it's one of those relatively few cases where Scandinavian and US comedy sentiments mesh particularly well?

There's a lot of US comedy I do like. Of the mainstream sitcoms, I thought Frasier was outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

There's a lot of US comedy I do like. Of the mainstream sitcoms, I thought Frasier was outstanding.

Yup, that's a good one. In the same genre, I'm also a big fan of KING OF QUEENS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Never seen that.

Of current ones, I think both The Middle and Modern Family are surprisingly witty.
  2. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Frasier was indeed outstanding, Seinfeld was good but Frasier was hilarious. Come to think of it, I think Friends is still awesome after all this time, have seen all 10 seasons three times now, and I still laugh my ass off every single time
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    I've given up on American television...

Not me. I doubt TV gets much better than American TV at its best. (And not much worse than American TV at its worse.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    (And not much worse than American TV at its worse.)

You can't have watched much ITV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I've given up on American television

I know... The Sopranos, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Justified, The Big Bang Theory, South Park, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, etc. Pure shit! tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Never seen that.

Of current ones, I think both The Middle and Modern Family are surprisingly witty.

The Middle went downhill after season one which is by far the funniest. Touchwood Modern Family is still going strong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012
    I love Frasier! Even after having seen most episodes more than once.

Actually I watch Comedy Central a lot because Dutch TV is crap lately. And Frasier is on at 20:30, two episodes (unfortunately not in the right order, seems kind of random!)

I love Dharma and Greg too. I thought that was brilliant.

I like That 70s Show.

And I still like Home Improvement hehe, so do the kids.

I like IT Crowd but have only seen a few episodes.

Oh, I liked Something about Earl when that was on. Weird, but funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012
    Will and Grace took me a while to get into, but once I got used to it I liked it too.
  3. I started watching FIREFLY for the first time. I loved SERENITY and hadn't seen any of the original TV episodes on which it was based. So far I haven't seen an episode as good as the film (I'm 5 episodes in), but I'm really enjoying it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012
    christopher wrote
    I started watching FIREFLY for the first time. I loved SERENITY and hadn't seen any of the original TV episodes on which it was based. So far I haven't seen an episode as good as the film (I'm 5 episodes in), but I'm really enjoying it.

It's a brilliant show that was cut off prematurely (like 99% of my favourite shows).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012
    Just saw Hitchcock's Vertigo. WOW... shocked One of the most moving scores I've ever heard, too.
  4. Indeed.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. A question for any knowledgeable types.

If a composer's publicity people offer to send me "a screener" what does that actually mean? A copy of the film for viewing?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn