• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010
    NP From Russia With love (Chris Lennertz)

bhangra
    bhangra
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    NP From Russia With love (Chris Lennertz)

bhangra
    bhangra

I haven't heard this? Is it any good, like Barry's, or is it more David Arnold'ish?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's like Barry's music and is really quite good. Far better than his later Quantum Of Solace score IMO.
  1. "The Jigsaw Life"
    (Aaryk Noctivagus)

In celebration of his accomplishment (see the Atli Orvarsson thread, if you haven't) I decided to pop this in; been about three years or so since I had.

It's a delightful small score, with Herrmann-esque like touches (light touches) here and there, with a recognizable theme and nice little motifs to help it along.

The down side is the poor synth samples used.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    It's like Barry's music and is really quite good. Far better than his later Quantum Of Solace score IMO.

Mmmmmm! lick I want to hear it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Beyond Borders - James Horner

Some good melodies and a restrained approach can't hide the fact this isn't anything special from Horner, though it's a whole lot better than what many composers would come up with. And because of the fact that the tracks are all labeled in a generic way, I can't really connect to the music. The theme with the singing children is beautiful though.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: Farewell To Dobby - Deathly Hallows

I can finally listening this track without crying. But still is very sad. Especially with the 4 notes motif from Obliviate, At The Burrow and Ron Leaves being played in the french horns and strings at 1:45. This one and Snape To Malfoy Manor and Lovegood are the highlights of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I wish I could cry while listening to it...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010 edited
    NP : CATCH ME IF YOU CAN - John Williams

A great listen from start to finish with some welcome inclusions from Stan Getz, Frank Sinatra, Dusty Springfield etc.

A very classy album.
  4. I've never listened to this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Scribe wrote
    I wish I could cry while listening to it...

I never expected to be crying when I listened this cue for first time. The only Harry Potter cue which made me cry it's Dumbledore's Farewell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have you not even seen the film Alan? I recommend it, it's a very good film and superbly played by it's lead stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Have you not even seen the film Alan? I recommend it, it's a very good film and superbly played by it's lead stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks.

Yeah, it's very good. And also it's a true story
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PETULIA - John Barry

An absolute gem of a score with some wonderfully chilled, laid back jazzy tracks bookended by the mournful and melancholic main theme, this score is so rarely mentioned ( even on the FSM board where I think Barry is second only to Goldsmith in the amount of threads dedicated to a composer ) but I think it's a genuine classic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SIDEWAYS - Rolfe Kent

This chilled easy going score follows perfectly from my last two plays, lovely stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - James Horner

With ease in the top 3 releases this year, sublimely brilliant!
  7. I just can't get enough of this FSM release, it's absolutely fantastic from beginning to end. I know most see this as the boring little brother to 'Wrath of Khan' but I far prefer this!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    I just can't get enough of this FSM release, it's absolutely fantastic from beginning to end. I know most see this as the boring little brother to 'Wrath of Khan' but I far prefer this!

That's probably because the music is slightly less action orientated but I absolutely love the 'mystic' elements of the score, Katra Ritual, Mind Meld etc, in retrospect I'd say I love both scores equally.
  8. I think you're right, I find it a much more balanced listen and adore the 'mystic' elements too. That's not to say I don't love "Wrath of Khan", it's absolutely terrific!
  9. Krull James Horner

This is a score that somehow had always passed me by though I'd always been aware of it. So I ordered the LLL version along with 'Star Trek V' and have been listening to it over the last week. And what a treat to discover a score of this kind from this vintage of Horner! From a lot of the comments I'd expected it to have long periods of harsh, relatively unenjoyable horror music but I'm finding the entire score to be eminently listenable!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Krull James Horner

This is a score that somehow had always passed me by though I'd always been aware of it. So I ordered the LLL version along with 'Star Trek V' and have been listening to it over the last week. And what a treat to discover a score of this kind from this vintage of Horner! From a lot of the comments I'd expected it to have long periods of harsh, relatively unenjoyable horror music but I'm finding the entire score to be eminently listenable!

punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I think the horror-aspects are present just enough to give the score a darker edge, but not unlistenable at all. The next usage of a theme is never far off, and the balance is perfect. Love it as well!
  10. John Chambers wrote
    I just can't get enough of this FSM release, it's absolutely fantastic from beginning to end. I know most see this as the boring little brother to 'Wrath of Khan' but I far prefer this!

Trek III is absolutely fantastic from beginning to near end. The source cue is atrocious and I still don't understand why this was included.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. John Chambers wrote
    Krull James Horner

I consider it Horner's very own Star Wars. In terms of power, energy, themes and outright brilliance the two are equally matched.

I would love to have had a Krull episode II and III though. cheesy

12. Trek III is absolutely fantastic from beginning to near end. The source cue is atrocious and I still don't understand why this was included.

Indeed, I always promptly press stop when the End Credits finish!
  13. TOTAL RECALL - JERRY GOLDSMITH

God, this score is downright awesome! I can only listen to the Deluxe Edition as it holds so much fantastic cues + it has a superb flow to it that complete releases nowadays seldom have, culminating into the whole energetic Goldsmith package at the end that's simple incredible.

To this day Total Recall remains a creative tour de force! beer
  14. NP: Skyline - Matthew Margeson

It's better than expected. Being the first solo score from a MV guy, it's wonderful. The use of electronics is nice, and doesn't sound noisey. And the orchestra doesn't sound fake. Abduction and Vaya Con Dios are wonderful. I still didn't finished it, but the cues I heard are great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Skyline - Matthew Margeson

It's better than expected. Being the first solo score from a MV guy, it's wonderful. The use of electronics is nice, and doesn't sound noisey. And the orchestra doesn't sound fake. Abduction and Vaya Con Dios are wonderful. I still didn't finished it, but the cues I heard are great.

I agree, although it is over the top in the film. Is like the composer said: 'well, this film is crap, but I'm gonna enjoy it anyway'.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  15. Marselus wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Skyline - Matthew Margeson

I agree, although it is over the top in the film. Is like the composer said: 'well, this film is crap, but I'm gonna enjoy it anyway'.

Haha. I don't know about that. I didn't watched the movie yet. But I read the plot somewhere and I thought it was decent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marselus wrote

He actually said that?? biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!