• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009
    Hmmmm... I think you have the best of the bunch.
    Especially Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is very fine.
    It cretainly is my favourite.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009
    Yes that one and Kingu Kongu Tai Gojira and you've got the essential Gojira scores. Yet, there are so many other wonderful scores that it would be unfair to recommend my personal favourites.

New purchases:
    Bruno Coulais - Brice de Nice
    Akira Senju - Tetsujin 28, Vol. 1
    Akira Senju - Tetsujin 28, Vol. 2
    Kenji Kawai - Gunparade March - Spirit of the Samurai
    Michiru Oshima - Hanaukyo Maid Team la Verite
    Takefumi Haketa - Mahô tsukai ni taisetsu na koto (this review forced me! http://www.mania.com/somedays-dreamers- … 75503.html )
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Just bought Silvestri's Van Helsing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joep wrote
    Yes, I buy them in hopes of re-selling them. Now, I don't often come across an entire bunch of cheap cd's of the same scores. This particular score is an exceptional case.

But I don't do it to make profit, no. I think that's what you suspected, right? It's more like a service to friends/filmmusic fans who are seeking for a certain scores or who might be interested in a score if it's cheap. There was a short period wherein I tried to earn some cash by selling for more, but it took so much energy and I didn't gain much from it.

Do you have a cd list or a website for the titles you're selling?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've just bought a couple of Godzilla titles:

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - Michiru Oshima
    The Best of Godzilla 1984-1995 - Various

Clips sounded good - and I thought that these would give me a good overview of the Gojira universe. Any other "must haves" from people?

How would you describe those scores to someone who hasn't got the slightest idea about them? wave
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Clips sounded good - and I thought that these would give me a good overview of the Gojira universe. Any other "must haves" from people?

How would you describe those scores to someone who hasn't got the slightest idea about them? wave

I'll let you know after I've had a good listen to them. In the meantime, any comments from Martijn, Erik or others?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2009
    Thanks! If it wasn't obvious to everyone the first time, i meant the entire Gojira / Godzilla - whatever musical universe as a whole smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I'll let you know after I've had a good listen to them. In the meantime, any comments from Martijn, Erik or others?

It's a shame Lou Goldberg ( a one time regular at MovieMusic ) doesn't post here as he's more knowledgable on this than anyone I can think of? He also sent me a great compilation of 'GOJIRA' music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    William wrote

My first Silvestri score ever. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Gojira's "3 note theme" is the most recognized movie theme here. It's actually more than 3 notes, but if you hum the first repetition of 3 notes (dadada, dadada), most Japanese can say "It's Gojira!!"

It's so famous in Japan, perhaps more than Jaws theme. It's also parodied many times. (I know some silly parody lyrics to this theme) biggrin

But actually, I'm not a fan of Gojira/Japanese monster movies, so I'm not familiar with the score itself.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    But actually, I'm not a fan of Gojira/Japanese monster movies, so I'm not familiar with the score itself.

shocked

I'm calling the Emperor to have your Japanese citizenship revoked! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I haven't heard the Japanese Godzilla scores either, but I heard Akira Ifukube's scores are very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not Ikufube's biggest fan.
    Aside from his monumental main theme -which really is the Japanese equivalent of the Jaws theme- , I find his music too classically oriented to be thoroughly enjoyable as film music.
    And when I say "too classical", I mean that it's too cognitive for my liking (in much the same way composers like George Auric create for films): it's clever and well crafted, but emotionally it rings no bells for me at all.
  2. so far no word of the Battlestar's I purchased at Intrada, they are all listed out of stock. Don't know if this means I will be able to get them

I know they are available at SA, but at SA One Little Indian was suddenly gone, so luckily Intrada still had them. And considering I pay my share of shipping costs, I try to balance that by buying some extra CD's my brother wants

Hopefully it works
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Just got back from my business trip to London, and this afternoon we found some time to enjoy the city. There I bought...

James Horner - A Beautiful Mind

Basically because it was on my 'some day to buy' list, and I found it pretty cheap (6 pounds) at... Harrods! Not a cheap store, by the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Aside from his monumental main theme -which really is the Japanese equivalent of the Jaws theme- , I find his music too classically oriented to be thoroughly enjoyable as film music.
    And when I say "too classical", I mean that it's too cognitive for my liking (in much the same way composers like George Auric create for films): it's clever and well crafted, but emotionally it rings no bells for me at all.

How is it like in style? Is it orchestral and organic or electronic and synthetic?
  3. Miya wrote
    Gojira's "3 note theme" is the most recognized movie theme here. It's actually more than 3 notes, but if you hum the first repetition of 3 notes (dadada, dadada), most Japanese can say "It's Gojira!!"

It's so famous in Japan, perhaps more than Jaws theme. It's also parodied many times. (I know some silly parody lyrics to this theme) biggrin

EXAMPLES, EXAMPLES! (of the silly lyrics bunny )
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

How is it like in style? Is it orchestral and organic or electronic and synthetic?

ORCHESTRAL.

Have you not heard Giacchino's Cloverfield???

....and yes, I know you have and that gives you a good idea.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have and that piece is killer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    William wrote

My first Silvestri score ever. Love it!

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009 edited
    I picked up Serial Mom (Basil Poledouris) & Fantastic 4 (John Ottman) from a second
    hand CD store today . There were some more goodies that catched my eye so I'll
    have to return there to pick up the rest ... smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  4. Oooh, I absolutely LOVE the Van Helsing score! Awesome pick!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Oooh, I absolutely LOVE the Van Helsing score! Awesome pick!

Thanks. beer I've listened to the whole thing already and it's great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Check out the 2 CD bootleg if you come across it anywhere, has a lot of unreleased great material!
  5. ooh, not fair. I hate it when they do that. Even though it exists somewhere 'out there' floating around, it's coming across it that is the problem. sad They should just make ALL of the music available the first time! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    ooh, not fair. I hate it when they do that. Even though it exists somewhere 'out there' floating around, it's coming across it that is the problem. sad They should just make ALL of the music available the first time! :D

If you have the use of Google and can type the words "Van Helsing complete blogspot", then I can assure you coming across it will not be very difficult. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yep, it's quite easy to find now if you look around a bit enough wink

I do agree it should have been released officially though.
  6. Thanks for the tips. I tried just now, without success. But I might look around again sometime. smile Thanks. smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    David Hirschfelder - Strictly Ballroom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Thanks for the tips. I tried just now, without success. But I might look around again sometime. smile Thanks. smile

You're not looking hard enough. wink

Also, check you PMs.