• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    Who was the composer finally?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not really, i thought it set the mood perfectly and it was very clever and fresh, at least to me. Instead of the random underscore that it's initially boring and it's just a couple of strings here and there, teasing you "hm, i don't know what this movie is about or what it's going to happen, but let's watch together and find outttttttzzzz" style of opening titles music we normally get, Scorcese here added character from frame 1.

Agreed! Great opening music! Loved it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Who was the composer finally?

It's a collection from pre-existing pieces from some of the greatest concert composers of the 20th century and not only. Here's the tracklisting:

It contains some of the best contemporary orchestral / concert music you'll find around and it's a very worthy purchase for those who're into this kind of advanced writing and dissonance.

CD 1
    1. Ingram Marshall - Fog Tropes
    2. Krysztof Penderecki - Symphony No. 3 - IV. Passacaglia - Allegro moderato
    3. John Cage - Music for Marcel Duchamp
    4. Nam June Paik - Hommage à John Cage
    5. György Ligeti - Lontano
    6. Morton Feldman - Rothko Chapel 2
    7. Johnnie Ray - Cry
    8. Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight
    9. Giacinto Scelsi - Uaxuctum - III. [untitled]
    10. Gustav Mahler - Quartet in A minor for piano and strings

CD 2
    1. John Adams - Christian Zeal and Activity
    2. Lou Harrison - Suite for Symphonic Strings - IX. Nocturne
    3. Brian Eno - Lizard Point
    4. Alfred Schnittke - Four Hymns - II. For Cello and Double Bass
    5. John Cage - Root of an Unfocus
    6. Ingram Marshall - Alctraz - I. Prelude: The Bay
    7. Lonnie Johnson - Tomorrow Night
    8. Max Richter/Dinah Washington - On the Nature of Daylight/This Bitter Earth
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Wow, I don´t know most of the composers, but seems like a good selection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Listen to sound clips first...it's not for everyone. But it worked absolutely perfect in the film, especially the Krysztof Penderecki - Symphony No. 3 - IV. Passacaglia - Allegro moderato which served as the "main theme" and of course the beautifully mesmerizing Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight which appeared whenever his wife was on screen with him in some sentimental passages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not really, i thought it set the mood perfectly and it was very clever and fresh, at least to me. Instead of the random underscore that it's initially boring and it's just a couple of strings here and there, teasing you "hm, i don't know what this movie is about or what it's going to happen, but let's watch together and find outttttttzzzz" style of opening titles music we normally get, Scorcese here added character from frame 1.

-Erik-

I thought it was perfect AFTER I'd seen the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

I thought it was perfect AFTER I'd seen the movie.

I fell in love immediately! It's rare these days to have music so prominently in the mix and to make such a power statement!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm the opposite and while it didn't detract from the movie I still feel it should have had an original score.
  1. Have you seen any Kubrick, Ant?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I'm the opposite and while it didn't detract from the movie I still feel it should have had an original score.

I think that if I pre-existing piece of classical music works then use it. While Alex North wrote a stunning original score for 2001 I think Kubrick was right in going with the classical music approach!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    I wasn't too bothered about the "lack" of an original score. I think the music used was brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Up

This is my favourite animation ever. I also loved "Monsters inc" and "The incredibles", but this one included some serious issues about death, love and family, which made me connect to it emotionally. The two main characters were absolutely brilliant and the two main animal characters were absolutely hilarious and cute. The whole body language of the silly bird and especially the dogs were absolutely brilliant. Being a fan of animals and especially dogs, I adored every single moment of this movie.

Rated it 10 out of 10 on imdb (a rating I very rarely give).

About the score, I loved Giacchino's main theme. But I must admit I didn't notice other themes. Is the score entirely monothematic?

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    The Final Destination

I've seen it plenty of times while working at the multiplex, and at home it just doesn't feel the same. But it's a wonderfully bad movie, with some really funny death scenes and some nice throwbacks to the original Final Destination (one death scene is exactly the same). It's a trashy but short movie, but the 3D photography looks great and Tyler's score is fun.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

I usually am pro this too, still there are directors in many cases who work with source music much better than any kind of original scoring. Such a case is SHUTTER ISLAND were the use of music is simply brilliant. And MICHAEL MANN.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Up
    About the score, I loved Giacchino's main theme. But I must admit I didn't notice other themes. Is the score entirely monothematic?

There's Ellie's theme (the main one), Muntz's theme and then a small one for Russell, Kevin and Dug rolled into one. (And also a small motif for Alpha, Beta and Gamma and an action bass line at the end).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

I usually am pro this too, still there are directors in many cases who work with source music much better than any kind of original scoring. Such a case is SHUTTER ISLAND were the use of music is simply brilliant. And MICHAEL MANN.

And Quentin Tarantino.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Boorman has made good use of existing music in both Zardoz and Excalibur.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    John Boorman has made good use of existing music in ... Excalibur.

My very first exposure to Wagner, in fact. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know it has it's faults but I absolutely love the film and the use of music, IMO one of the greatest mythical fantasies put on screen and boy does the film look great.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    There's Ellie's theme (the main one), Muntz's theme and then a small one for Russell, Kevin and Dug rolled into one. (And also a small motif for Alpha, Beta and Gamma and an action bass line at the end).

Cool, thanks. I must admit that they don't do much for me. But then again, it took ages for Ellie's theme to get to me.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Bitch Slap

Straight to DVD B-movie. I never though I would ever say this but there is actually possible to have too much cleavage in a movie. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Descent Part 2

Not as brilliant as Part 1 but really enjoyable and with the same claustrophobic mood. Gory, tense, some nice fright moments, some old faces,....a more than decent second part. David Julyan´s score is ok, as was the first one. It is surprising that a Zimmer´s "Journey to the Line" rip off can fit a horror movie though. But it does.

3 out of 5
  2. Well The Thin Red Line is a horror movie in a way too. That cue was used in a horrific scene.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010 edited
    You are right. In The Descent Part 2 it is used in a standard (although kind of epic) horrific sequence though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Marley and Me

Man gets dog. Dog acts as metaphor for his problems in life. Film ends. Southall rather nonplussed. Mrs Southall in floods of tears.
  3. Up

Enjoyable film. I found it a film of two halves: wonderful first half pulling at the heart strings. Great characters. Second half didn't really live up to the beginning: I thought it was more of a run-of-the-mill adventure story. But certainly one of Pixar's best movies. I found Giacchino's score a bit like the film. But it certainly packed an emotional clout.

Underworld: Rise of The Lycans

I've always been confused by the various factions in these films - and how they are all related to one another. And this film didn't really make it any clearer. And the low light levels throughout didn't help. Reviews I've read talk of this third film being the best. No. The second is, for me, the most enjoyable of the three. And Beltrami's contribution to the Underworld: Evolution adds greatly to the enjoyment of that film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hoosiers

Brilliant. Surely the greatest sports movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Hoosiers

Brilliant. Surely the greatest sports movie.

It's one of the best indeed!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Marley and Me

Man gets dog. Dog acts as metaphor for his problems in life. Film ends. Southall rather nonplussed. Mrs Southall in floods of tears.

I'll not be watching this! You wouldn't catch Mel watching this either.

Was Mrs Southall that upset by watching such rubbish?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sadly not. Her taste in films surely needs some work.