• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010
    NP: Atlantis - JNH

Listening to this one again due to one of Jordi's postings. Very enjoyable score. Need more action cues though, especially after crackling "The Leviathan" Still enjoy his first animation score, Dinosaurs, so much more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik, is Butt's score available on CD?

Not as far as I know, unfortunately. sad What I have is a sampler!

-Erik-

Interesting. Let us know what you think! I've been really hoping someone would release it on CD because I'd love to hear it away from the show, where it really impressed me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Have you done a documentary scores radio show Erik?

If not I think it's a great idea.

I haven't done a radio show since April '09. tongue But I do have some time off and I'm going to make one last attempt to get the show up and running again. I've just lost the passion. But if things go well and if I can get the time to write and record I do have lots of great programming coming...

- Star Trek
    - Batman
    - More Re-recordings
    - New Releases
    - A new one hour film music mix program which will feature themes like End Credits, Action track, What Erik has played in the past 7 days, etc.
    - There will be a blog called "Erik's Thoughts and Poorly Written Film Music Reviews"

So, that's what I have in mind... let's see if I have the time to do it all. BTW, a documentary themed show is a great idea!

-Erik-

I'm sure you'll regain your passion for it though I appreciate it must be hard juggling work, family life ( particularly with two younglings ) etc, and when you have the time I know you'll let us know when a new show is up and comingh.

As we sometimes say here, All power to your elbow Erik beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote

Listening to this one again due to one of Jordi's postings. Very enjoyable score. Need more action cues though, especially after crackling "The Leviathan" Still enjoy his first animation score, Dinosaurs, so much more.

Atlantis is an incredible score brimming with themes and has that unexpected dramatic punch once the Crystal Chamber music is introduced! And "Just Do It" is an incredible action cue!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lp wrote

There are 2 very good action cues - Atlantis Destroyed and Dogfight, which are unreleased on the commercial CD but included in the Academy promo version.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik, is Butt's score available on CD?

Not as far as I know, unfortunately. sad What I have is a sampler!

-Erik-

Interesting. Let us know what you think! I've been really hoping someone would release it on CD because I'd love to hear it away from the show, where it really impressed me.

And exactly why I was interested too James, I was very impressed by the scoring and would now own it if it had had a release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    lp wrote

There are 2 very good action cues - Atlantis Destroyed and Dogfight, which are unreleased on the commercial CD but included in the Academy promo version.

shocked Must find promo. :zombie:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HAMLET - Ennio Morricone

Absolutely adore this score, deep and moody and at turns melodic and spooky, great stuff, oh and track 2 The King is Dead with that manic organ punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Atlantis - Eric Serra

Surprise! It's primarily an interesting mix of orchestral and electronics, similar to other Serra scores. It's not bad, but nothing new either. It's weird that it's taken me this long to get to this score after having it for 2 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

Atlantis is an incredible score brimming with themes and has that unexpected dramatic punch once the Crystal Chamber music is introduced! And "Just Do It" is an incredible action cue!

-Erik-

I normally skip everything after "The Leviathan" and go straight to the "Crystal Chamber" cue and go from there.

DemonStar wrote
    lp wrote

WHAT? I WANT IT!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    I normally skip everything after "The Leviathan" and go straight to the "Crystal Chamber" cue and go from there.

I'm going to have to give this one another spin because I can't recall if the album drags in the middle or not.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think it drags anywhere. Everyone says the latter part of the album is the best part, but the rest of it isn't exactly lacking either. Treasure Planet is the one that lags in the middle a bit, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010 edited
    NP: Daybreakers - Christopher Gordon

Ominous, atmospheric, dark, chilling... technically brilliant but not really an engaging album listen. Gordon does ignite some thunderous percussion for the action material a la his Rugby World Cup music and the full symphony orchestra gets a work out in the epic "Spreading The Cure" which features Gordon's trademark brass and woodwind writing but for the most part the score is on the quiet, atmospheric side!

"Into The Sun" is a highlight featuring a fantastic build up and climax. It reminds me of his Salem's Lot music; big choir, low brass and strings.

Throughout the score you get a sample of electronics which can be heard ever so slightly underneath the symphonic writing. Nothing too distracting or entirely interesting either.

The celli solo heard at the beginning of "Spreading The Cure" and in the middle of the End Credit cue "Daybreak" is another highlight. Gorgeous writing and something you might not expect to find in a film like this... although Desplat definitely set the bar high with his score to New Moon.

The recording is brilliant... dynamic, bright and punchy!

In any case, this is a solid score written by one of the most talent composers out there but some will have a hard time with the slow moving, atmospheric cues that unfortunately makes the album drag a bit!

-Erik-
  1. NP: Battlestar Galactica Season 3 --- Bear McCreary

I'm loving this, it gets into the mood to continue the 4th season on DVD.
    Woohoo
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

I'm going to have to give this one another spin because I can't recall if the album drags in the middle or not.

-Erik-

It doesn't, it does feature some very majestic choral statements, but I think the meats of the score is mostly from the Crystal Chamber onward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    I don't think it drags anywhere. Everyone says the latter part of the album is the best part, but the rest of it isn't exactly lacking either. Treasure Planet is the one that lags in the middle a bit, in my opinion.

Oh yeah.
  2. lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh yeah.

Treasure Planet has some really nice moments, but is no way the album Atlantis is, even the so called weaker first part of that score is better than the entire Treasure Planet score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FEMME FATALE - Ryuichi Sakamoto

The opening track, Bolerish is a 14 minute mind blower!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : FEMME FATALE - Ryuichi Sakamoto

The opening track, Bolerish is a 14 minute mind blower!!! cool

And it's use in the movie was marvelous!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Yellowstone - Edmund Butt

This makes me want to watch the documentary! It's the type of score you' d expect to hear from a film exploring the picturesque landscapes of Yellowstone National Park and its inhabitants. The score is lush, bold, exciting and melodic! A beautiful and extremely well written score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Who's your all-time third favourite Belgian?

Do you like Belgians?

-Jordi-

I LOVE Belgians!

-Jordi-

All right. Good to know!

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Remembering my travel to Scotland. One of the best experiences of my life, specially the road to a lighthouse in Skye Island.

Jordi, was it the lighthouse at Neist Point?

If it was, then that's a great road to get to it - though it can be a bit heart-in-the-mouth stuff. There are a couple of points on this single-track road where you can't see what's coming in the other direction and you just have to "go for it" to get to the next passing place. And if you come across any traffic coming the other way then it's a looong way to reverse back.

Spectacular! I can believe Skye is worth a trip alone!

SHERLOCK HOLMES | hans zimmer and the others

I like it a bit more! Enjoyable stuff, but the theme gets a bit too much attention. The 18 minute track doesnt do it for me though Jordi. You can't talk about it though. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh yeah.

Treasure Planet has some really nice moments, but is no way the album Atlantis is, even the so called weaker first part of that score is better than the entire Treasure Planet score

You, sir, are full of truths.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Remembering my travel to Scotland. One of the best experiences of my life, specially the road to a lighthouse in Skye Island.

If it was, then that's a great road to get to it - though it can be a bit heart-in-the-mouth stuff. There are a couple of points on this single-track road where you can't see what's coming in the other direction and you just have to "go for it" to get to the next passing place. And if you come across any traffic coming the other way then it's a looong way to reverse back.

Yeap! that's it!

It is an amazing landscape.

we did the road in the middle of the day, and it was a cold and rainy day. It was like we were in the end of the world...with only green and the little road in front of us. We did the road back in the night, with only the weak lights of our car in the middle of nowhere. (the passage zone is funny...the first 10 times tongue then...But In Scotland people seems more civilized driving than people in spain)

We even went to the wrong road, and our car was invaded by sheeps. I had to go down of the car, and chase sheeps to putting them aside.

Skye was worth to the trip alone! And one of the best experiences of my life!

NP:Atlantis PROMO.

Dogfight IS the best action track from this score. And one of the best tracks in JNH career.

I want "milo and Kida's questions" for Jake and Nayiri's first meeting in AVATAR!
  3. 'Resurrection' is another pretty great track for me. I know what you mean by the dominance of atmosphere. I personally think the electronic stuff works, but the album could probably do with a bit less of it, and still play as a good 50 minute album. (It isn't just samples though, I can tell you, it's more Ligeti than Cliff Martinez, I can tell you, having seen the written scores for the electronic sections and the choral overdub recording. wink )

The cello at the opening of 'Spreading the Cure' was originally part of a longer, less-testosterone driven end credits sequence that ran about 9 minutes. The first two minutes of the end credits, and the last two minutes of 'Spreading the Cure' are a rescore because of the addition of a couple of extra shots that altered the tone of the ending after some audience previews.

Erik Woods wrote

Ominous, atmospheric, dark, chilling... technically brilliant but not a really engaging album listen. Gordon does ignite some thunderous percussion for the action material a la his Rugby World Cup music and the full symphony orchestra gets a work out in the epic "Spreading The Cure" which features Gordon's trademark brass and woodwind writing but for the most part the score is on the quiet, atmospheric side!

"Into The Sun" is a highlight featuring a fantastic build up and climax. It reminds me of his Salem's Lot music; big choir, low brass and strings.

Throughout the score you get a sample of electronics which can be heard ever so slightly underneath the symphonic writing. Nothing too distracting or entirely interesting either.

The celli solo heard at the beginning of "Spreading The Cure" and in the middle of the End Credit cue "Daybreak" is another highlight. Gorgeous writing and something you might not expect to find in a film like this... although Desplat definitely set the bar high with his score to New Moon.

In any case, this is a solid score written by one of the most talent composers out there but some will have a hard time with the slow moving, atmospheric cues that unfortunately makes the album drag a bit!

-Erik-
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Martijn wrote
    The Green Mile for me. love

I say you are strange, and probably an abstract painter in your spare time.

NP: Fantastic Mr Fox (Desplat)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Bad Girls - Jerry Goldsmith

I love the main "action" theme. The score needs like 10 minute more of this theme spread out. But as it is, the album works fine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeap! that's it!

It is an amazing landscape.

we did the road in the middle of the day, and it was a cold and rainy day. It was like we were in the end of the world...with only green and the little road in front of us. We did the road back in the night, with only the weak lights of our car in the middle of nowhere. (the passage zone is funny...the first 10 times tongue then...But In Scotland people seems more civilized driving than people in spain)

We even went to the wrong road, and our car was invaded by sheeps. I had to go down of the car, and chase sheeps to putting them aside.

Skye was worth to the trip alone! And one of the best experiences of my life!

NP:Atlantis PROMO.

Dogfight IS the best action track from this score. And one of the best tracks in JNH career.

I want "milo and Kida's questions" for Jake and Nayiri's first meeting in AVATAR!

Great story Jordi, have you got any pics you could show us? Not here, of course, but on the 'World Travelers' thread.

Skye is an awesome place.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : A WHALE FOR THE KILLING - Basil Poledouris

Very jaunty score with a lovely tinge of celtic flavour, even a touch of the magical moments of Conan The Destroyer, very enjoyable cool

At around 25 minutes it's just too short! slant

It was my first listen and I was instantly captivated, a very simple score and beautifully lyrical and melodic ( well, duhhh...it's Basil Poledouris ), in fact it was so enjoyable I'm playing it again right now.

NP : A WHALE FOR THE KILLING - Basil Poledouris

cool

p.s. not too bothered about playing Wind as I've already owned that score for many years.

A third listen.

NP : A WHALE FOR THE KILLING - Basil Poedouris

Did anyone else buy this one? This score has a lovely charm to it, so simple and yet so effective, it still goes by too fast at just 25 mins though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Ominous, atmospheric, dark, chilling... technically brilliant but not a really an engaging album listen. Gordon does ignite some thunderous percussion for the action material a la his Rugby World Cup music and the full symphony orchestra gets a work out in the epic "Spreading The Cure" which features Gordon's trademark brass and woodwind writing but for the most part the score is on the quiet, atmospheric side!

-Erik-

WOW! WANT!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Yellowstone - Edmund Butt

This makes me want to watch the documentary! It's the type of score you' d expect to hear from a film exploring the picturesque landscapes of Yellowstone National Park and it inhabitants. The score is lush, bold, exciting and melodic! A beautiful and extremely well written score!

-Erik-

His latest score, THE DARK, is also very, very impressively written. If that's any indication, then i can't wait to hear it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.