• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Okay, here is the Brittin piece with the Natty Gann part:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfpONeye6GY

First instance starts at 0:38

Here's the cue from Horner's replacement score, starting at 0:40, in this cue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scoOQNN … re=related)

Here's the one Goldsmith lifted from:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhyplUle … re=related
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    I don't care for an ultimate_desplat_fan position; it's just that apart his saccharine QUEEN and tamara whatever score (there must be another 2-3 in this list, possibly smaller french scores i'd imagine, that i played once and never again), i find his music absolutely beautiful.

The only Desplat score that I didn't care much for was Cheri. That's 1 out of 20+ scores I've heard from him...that's a pretty good record in my book.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    Okay, here is the Brittin piece with the Natty Gann part:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfpONeye6GY

First instance starts at 0:38

Here's the cue from Horner's replacement score, starting at 0:40, in this cue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scoOQNN … re=related)

Here's the one Goldsmith lifted from:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhyplUle … re=related

Could you not access the Britten music I youtubed earlier? ( exactly the same piece I might add )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't care for an ultimate_desplat_fan position; it's just that apart his saccharine QUEEN and tamara whatever score (there must be another 2-3 in this list, possibly smaller french scores i'd imagine, that i played once and never again), i find his music absolutely beautiful.

The only Desplat score that I didn't care much for was Cheri. That's 1 out of 20+ scores I've heard from him...that's a pretty good record in my book.

Ah, one of my favourite scores of 2009, right there. And I love THE QUEEN. So take that, ladies. beer
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Willow - James Horner

Much better than I was expecting to be. Given some of the comments here, I was expecting it to be tedious, but no...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Willow - James Horner

Much better than I was expecting to be. Given some of the comments here, I was expecting it to be tedious, but no...

Tedious? It's a bloody fantastic score! Any negative comments didn't come from my direction.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    requiem for a heavyweight
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Willow - James Horner

Tedious? It's a bloody fantastic score! Any negative comments didn't come from my direction.

Yeah, after further listening, this might be the best score Horner composed in the '80s (better than The Rocketeer and even Aliens), just on the strength of the final 3 tracks. "Bavmorda's Spell is Cast" is concert piece-caliber material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Yeah, after further listening, this might be the best score Horner composed in the '80s (better than The Rocketeer and even Aliens), just on the strength of the final 3 tracks. "Bavmorda's Spell is Cast" is concert piece-caliber material.

Naaaaah... but it's a damn fine score.

-Erik-

pst... The Rocketeer was 1991
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Erik Woods wrote

Then it's better than The Wrath of Khan. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010 edited
    NP: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - JOHN POWELL

Only my second listen since I got it (which is a good few weeks ago now) and I'm quite surprised how much better it sounds this time round. I ham kwight drunck thow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

crazy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Film and TV Music of Christopher Gunning - Christopher Gunning
    Rumon Gamba and the BBC Philharmonic

First listen... I'm only a few minutes into the first track - Agatha Christie's Poirot: Poirot Variants - but this sounds absolutely delightful. What a recording! Martin Robertson's sax sound brilliant and the BBC Philharmonic hasn't sounded better!

shocked WOW! shocked

We champion the likes of Tribute Film Classics and Tadlow - and rightfully so - but these Chandos recordings stand as some of the best I've ever heard with excellent production design on the art work and superb liner notes. These guys are most definitely in the same league with the best of the best!

-Erik-
  7. The Journey of Natty Gann - Horner

Often sprightly, sometimes meandering, but always delightful, especially the End Titles piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of his very best scores and a superb album as well!
  8. Okay, as soon as I finished typing that, the piece "Locked Up" kicked in. Talk about weeping strings...
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

crazy

I concur. Willow is more of a classic than Star Trek II. Though I love both, if I want a flawless and nonstop riveting listen I go for Willow. This is one I wouldn't mind having a 2-CD set of btw.

And Kevin if you haven't already, check out The Land Before Time, the perfect companion to Willow, a bit less on the action but more of the emotion. Bloody brilliant, and this comes from a major Horner fan.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Thirteen Days - Trevor Jones

It's not bad, but it's not love either. A little on the soft and slow side during most of the album, I prefer Dark City, Merlin, The Mighty and Cleopatra in all honesty which are all more interesting. And the always enchanting Last of the Mohicans of course. But the closing tracks are top-notch Jones at his most beautiful. It's very good as background music though.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thirteen Days - Trevor Jones

It's not bad, but it's not love either. A little on the soft and slow side during most of the album, I prefer Dark City, Merlin, The Mighty and Cleopatra in all honesty which are all more interesting. And the always enchanting Last of the Mohicans of course. But the closing tracks are top-notch Jones at his most beautiful. It's very good as background music though.

I love it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. I can see why you love it. wink

And I just noticed this but Death of Major Anderson has a moment lifted from Titanic, about three minutes in. Haha, very peculiar. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Uncommon Valor - James Horner

Ever since hearing this on the good sounding bootleg, I've loved its militaristic sound and really exciting action cues. The action motif would later crop up in Aliens to great effect. So I guess I have to thank my love for Aliens and film music in general to this score... beer

If in 1983 it still wasn't clear Horner would become a top composer after everything he had done up to that point then I would've eaten my goddamn hat. If I actually had one.

Another great Intrada release. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm actually old enough to have 'predicted big things for James Horner'........I wasn't wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I'm actually old enough to have 'predicted big things for James Horner'........I wasn't wrong.

And I'm sure you're not wrong on the STII vs. Willow debate either.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You know it, Erik wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - David Arnold

Finished my second spin of this and I must say that I'm not impressed! There are a few grand, epic action cues and a lovely new main theme but all that unfortunately gets lost in a barrage of uninteresting atmospheric tracks. And I'm going to pull a Thor and James Southall here but the album is far long! A shorter presentation would help the stand alone listen but I'm glad I have what I have because it shows me how weak the majority of the score is.

I had high hopes but I was let down.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    :damnit:
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So, the glass is half full?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The action music isn't anything special either. The meaty final battle cue is pretty impressive but it seems like a paint by numbers score from Arnold. It didn't sound fresh.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - David Arnold

Finished my second spin of this and I must say that I'm not impressed! There are a few grand, epic action cues and a lovely new main theme but all that unfortunately gets lost in a barrage of uninteresting atmospheric tracks. And I'm going to pull a Thor and James Southall here but the album is far long! A shorter presentation would help the stand alone listen but I'm glad I have what I have because it shows me how weak the majority of the score is.

I had high hopes but I was let down.

-Erik-

You like this score more than Harry Gregson-Williams's scores? Or is it at the same level?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    The action music isn't anything special either. The meaty final battle cue is pretty impressive but it seems like a paint by numbers score from Arnold. It didn't sound fresh.

-Erik-

I felt that way about the Owl Fail score, but it grew on me eventually. I think we've all just listened to too much music...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!