• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    Cristian wrote
    You like this score more than Harry Gregson-Williams's scores? Or is it at the same level?

I much prefer Gregson-Williams' first score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The action music isn't anything special either. The meaty final battle cue is pretty impressive but it seems like a paint by numbers score from Arnold. It didn't sound fresh.

-Erik-

I felt that way about the Owl Fail score, but it grew on me eventually. I think we've all just listened to too much music...

Nah - That one is still pants!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You consider HP7 to have a lot of underscore, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HP7 is even worse!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then this David Arnold score might be good wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If you like boring scores! wink
  1. Talking about boring scores:

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Jesper Kyd

Yeah that's right, more ambience than anything else, and downright annoying cues to boot, cues that make me want to skip them, and that's never a good thing. The only real track I like is the second, because that incorporates the theme from the vastly superior AC2 score. I don't like this at all, but then again, I've been told to have no taste in music. So it's probably me. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

That's what I'm trying to get at! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's what I'm trying to get at! wink

And i got it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The first 10-12 cues aren't bad but the action material feels like it belongs in a Bond score rather than a fantasy score. And I'm still trying to figure out just what in the hell the Godzilla love theme is doing in the track, "Reepi Cheep." This "album" would have benefited from a shorter running time for sure. This isn't anywhere near grand stuff like Stargate, ID4 or even Godzilla where a long album actually benefits the listening experience. I think what's killing this album is the short running times of the cues. There's not enough time for an idea to blossom.

HOWEVER, I do have to see the film before I make a final judgment. I remember not being all that impressed with Gregson-Williams initial effort but then when I saw the movie I changed my mind and that score made my Top 10 that year! I will say this though this is far more interesting that Deathly Hallows. I mean, there's an actual hummable, fully developed theme.

I'm actually on my third listen right now and as I said so far the first half of the album is pretty solid. The middle section of the album slows down CONSIDERABLY... about 35 minutes or so of not so interesting music... until we get to the big finale!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Yeah, after further listening, this might be the best score Horner composed in the '80s (better than The Rocketeer and even Aliens), just on the strength of the final 3 tracks. "Bavmorda's Spell is Cast" is concert piece-caliber material.

Naaaaah... but it's a damn fine score.

-Erik-

pst... The Rocketeer was 1991

rocketeer is a must have in any collection
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    a raisin in the sun
  2. Oh dear, the one chance for Arnold to come up with something great since his 90s stuff and he didn't take it... Call me disappointed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Again, this is only my opinion. I will have the score on my next show which will showcase the highlights. But like I said, this doesn't come close to his early classics... not even The Musketeer! But I will give Arnold full marks for utilizing Gregson-Williams' main theme!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I looked up Rosenthal and found that he didn't have a thread. I'm not surprised. His new Intrada release is a thumbs up for me.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh dear, the one chance for Arnold to come up with something great since his 90s stuff and he didn't take it... Call me disappointed.

Have you heard it yet?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. No but then Erik knows what he's talking about... and more often than not I tend to agree with the guy.

Besides the clips didn't exactly win me over.
  4. I quite liked the clips. But many a time a choice set of clips has fooled me into a purchase...like this one apparently!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    After you guys finish with your first listen to the album as is edit out some of the cues so you are left with the follow tracks...

1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

That's a solid 44 minutes 47 seconds playing time! The album as it stands is 1 hour 14 minutes.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Not bad, glad to hear the disc is nearly packed out.
  5. I notice that it's not out for another week. I look forward to hearing it when it arrived. I need to write down this list or at least note where it's posted (now playing XXXVII, page 60).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Like I said before I'm glad to have that much on the album but it doesn't hold up well as a stand alone 1 hour and 15 minute listen. It just showcases the scores weaknesses... which again, I'm glad I was able to hear in evaluating the score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Like I said before I'm glad to have that much on the album but it doesn't hold up well as a stand alone 1 hour and 15 minute listen. It just showcases the scores weaknesses... which again, I'm glad I was able to hear in evaluating the score.

-Erik-

I am with Thor, Southall and this; i don't want extra long boring discs. I want album producers being paid to do a good overall album presentation for my personal listening pleasure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And I like having the ability to choose the tracks I want to hear. Who knows, maybe someone out there with fall in love with the entire album... I would hate to deny someone of that.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's nice if that happens. For me, it's the opposite most of the times; as soon as i hear the expanded, listening experience goes to hell and i'm back to my sweet official album presentation smile I am glad for the people who operate contrary to this though 'cause obviously there's more hours and minutes of the same music for them to enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    While I agree albums need to be well presented, I prefer being able to construct that myself from an expanded or complete score instead of letting somebody else do it and potentially miss out a lot of music I would use.

For example those two new Lost albums - 5 hours of music, fantasic, not all necessary, but I've whittled it down to 2hrs 20mins of highlights which was a fun task in its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And a fun task for me to get that version from you (thanks wave ) but surely something i'd never sit down and do myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    After my third listen to Arnold's Narnia score I'm actually warming up to it. It's still not out of this world awesome but it's a solid entry in the Narnia series. Good to hear some old fashion styled orchestral writing with lovely, hummable themes... something severely lacking in scores like The Last Airbender and Deathly Hallows. For my next listen... probably Friday... I'm going to give my shorter playlist a shot to see if it does improve on the listening experience.

Up next: Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

My surprise of the year! I love it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Up next: Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

My surprise of the year! I love it!

-Erik-

Mine would be PRINCE OF PERSIA (HGW) but that score you're listening is equally kick ass too! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You know what... I usually hate dialogue over top of score cues on a soundtrack album but that second track on the Tron album with "The Dude's" dialogue over top is seriously kick ass!!!

-Erik-