• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    Oh it is! It's absolutely stunning in setting the mood, it fits with the music (and i'd imagine the visuals) a 100%, it's so vivid!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HIMALAYA - Bruno Coulais

I love this work and it never fails to transport me back there.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    And I like having the ability to choose the tracks I want to hear. Who knows, maybe someone out there with fall in love with the entire album... I would hate to deny someone of that.

-Erik-

...but what about those who will never, ever listen to it because it's too damn long? Don't you feel a teensy bit for them?

I bet if these 70-80 minute releases had been the norm ever since soundtracks were first issued on LPs, they would quickly have stopped issuing soundtracks on LP because nobody would have bought it. Film music just generally isn't interesting enough, by its very nature, to warrant such long releases. The composers have a couple of weeks to write these scores. If they manage to write 30-40 minutes of interesting music in that short time span, that's fantastic. And all that needs to be released!

I'm surprised we haven't had this debate before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Gorgeous! His best work to date, imo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Gorgeous! His best work to date, imo.

The track The Lake is mindblowing....but it's too short crazy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote

biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    And I like having the ability to choose the tracks I want to hear. Who knows, maybe someone out there with fall in love with the entire album... I would hate to deny someone of that.

-Erik-

...but what about those who will never, ever listen to it because it's too damn long? Don't you feel a teensy bit for them?

Yes, of course I do, which is why you can edit out the track YOU don't like. The technology is there, everyone has access to it and is easy to do. And if you don't want to do any digital editing or what ever there is a reason program buttons are on CD players.

Southall wrote

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yes, of course I do, which is why you can edit out the track YOU don't like. The technology is there, everyone has access to it and is easy to do. And if you don't want to do any digital editing or what ever there is a reason program buttons are on CD players.

Southall wrote

lol

-Erik-

I guess you know that good old feeling where you put a good edited cd or a record in the player, sit back, relax and simply enjoy, or do that whilst you cook; well, all that is blown if i have to programme (Auto or by hand) each time i'll have to play that album; happened to me many times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... well, I have an iPod and can create my own preferred playlists and what not!

Don't get me wrong... I love perfect albums! But if I have to tweak the album a little bit to play the way I prefer it so be it. It takes only a few moments.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Tangled - Alan Menken

I kind of dismissed this as being just an above average score only after one listen and then quickly getting it on my show. However, this fresh listen a few days after fact has revealed a wonderfully written score full of adventure, drama, danger and romance. Lots of lovely themes are sprinkled throughout and Menken wrote one of the best cues of the year - "Waiting for the Lights" - a gorgeous slow builder that ends with a wonderful orchestral swell. I haven't had the courage to listen to the songs... not a fan of the fluffy, broadway styled Menken songs... although admittedly I do have a soft spot for some of the tunes from Menken's 80's and 90's animated efforts. For now, I'll concentrate on the score with is very entertaining!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010 edited
    ALL THE PRETTY HORSES | a threesome

I needed some pretty horses, so why not have all of them?

Strawberry Tango and Malarki Opus are the highlights of this fin and highly light album.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Tangled - Alan Menken

I kind of dismissed this as being just an above average score only after one listen and then quickly getting it on my show. However, this fresh listen a few days after fact has revealed a wonderfully written score full of adventure, drama, danger and romance. Lots of lovely themes are sprinkled throughout and Menken wrote one of the best cues of the year - "Waiting for the Lights" - a gorgeous slow builder that ends with a wonderful orchestral swell. I haven't had the courage to listen to the songs... not a fan of the fluffy, broadway styled Menken songs... although admittedly I do have a soft spot for some of the tunes from Menken's 80's and 90's animated efforts. For now, I'll concentrate on the score with is very entertaining!

-Erik-

I caught a small listen to a cd that was full of cheesy songs; is the score in-between those or in a different score only release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I caught a small listen to a cd that was full of cheesy songs; is the score in-between those or in a different score only release?

The score is track 9 and 11 thru to 19. Just under 30 minutes of play time! It's really, really good!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... I'm converted. I wish I could re-record my radio show so I could praise the shit out Tangled. This is what happens when you get a score, want it on your show right away, skim through the tracks, not really pay attention and then not do the score justice when you do your on-air bit. crazy

To me Menken's score is about as old-fashioned and traditional as you are going to get from a film score this year! It's my cup of tea, it sounds splended to my ears, it's catchy, it's fun, it well written... I have no qualms about placing this in my Top 10 of the year! Absolutely delightful!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you, i am going to delete the awful songs and listen to the score!
  1. On soundtrackcollector.com lists the following:

1. When Will My Life Begin? (02:32)
    Performed by Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel'
    2. When Will My Life Begin? (Reprise 1) (01:03)
    3. Mother Knows Best (03:10)
    Performed by Donna Murphy as 'Mother Gothel'
    4. When Will My Life Begin? (Reprise 2) (02:06)
    5. I've Got a Dream (03:11)
    Performed by Brad Garrett as 'Hook-Hand Thug,' Jeffrey Tambor as 'Big Nose Thug,' Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel,' Zachary Levi as 'Flynn Rider' and Ensemble
    6. Mother Knows Best (Reprise) (01:38)
    Performed by Donna Murphy as 'Mother Gothel'
    7. I See the Light (03:44)
    Performed by Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel' and Zachary Levi as 'Flynn Rider'
    8. Healing Incantation (00:54)

9. Flynn Wanted (02:51)
    10. Prologue (02:02)
    Performed by Donna Murphy as 'Mother Gothel' and Delaney Stein as 'Young Rapunzel'
    11. Horse with No Rider (01:57)
    12. Escape Route (01:57)
    13. Campfire (03:21)
    14. Kingdom Dance (02:20)
    15. Waiting for the Lights (02:47)
    16. Return to Mother (02:06)
    17. Realization and Escape (05:50)
    18. The Tear Heals (07:37)
    19. Kingdom Celebration (01:50)
    20. Something That I Want (02:43)
    Performed by Grace Potter

The numbers don't correspond with your list, Erik. Do you have another release?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Whoops. Made the change above. Track 18 is mostly score with about one minute or so of "Healing Incantation" which is actually quite dramatic and almost had me shed a tear. The quiver in Mandy Moore's voice... :shivers down my spine:

-Erik-
  2. Thanks Erik.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you both
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like Tangled a lot, though it falls slightly short of Menken's masterpieces (particularly in the song department, I think).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

MAGNIFICENT!

Probably my favourite film score and Tadlow's recording - which I bought myself for my birthday - is pretty much faultless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You,..you......like Tangled's songs!?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, yes, but I really meant that they're the bit that falls short of his best work. The score is good (though if you like it I'd be amazed). The songs are pretty good but there's no single outstanding one like there is (at least one of) in every other Menken score for Disney.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... well, I have an iPod and can create my own preferred playlists and what not!

Don't get me wrong... I love perfect albums! But if I have to tweak the album a little bit to play the way I prefer it so be it. It takes only a few moments.

-Erik-

For anything more than playlist creation though, album production is something most of us don't have time (or even skill for). Editing out the odd repetitve measure from a piece, segueing between two moments for musical effect that are completely different cues on album... Mind you, I wouldn't mind doing all that work if someone paid me for it. Maybe they could call me 'Album Producer'. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd love to do it. But I have maybe 30, maybe 60, maybe when I'm lucky 90 minutes on a good day for listening to film music. I'm going to listen to an album that's produced properly, not one I'm expected to produce myself.
  4. WALL-E - Thomas Newman

Yet another career best from Newman that got robbed by the Academy. "The Axiom" alone is better than any track on that pseudo-Bollywood knockoff that defeated it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    Southall wrote
    Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

MAGNIFICENT!

Probably my favourite film score and Tadlow's recording - which I bought myself for my birthday - is pretty much faultless.

I have still yet to get this shame
  5. Listening to a couple new (to me) CDs I just got from BP.

Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games: I like this. I've only listened to it once, but I thought Gordon's contribution was very well done. I could see myself really liking this after a few more listens. There were quite a few songs on the album I didn't care for. Too bad there wasn't more by Gordon.

Lassie - Poledouris: Nice highlights. Pretty good all around. I still need to listen to it several more times.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    Howl - Carter Burwell

Dark, slow and heavy, but mesmerising, especially if you're a fan of his low-key ensemble scores of the past. 'Prophecy' which gets a bit wild in the second half is a standout cue, whilst the tender 'My Mother' is another highlight.
  6. Headhunter - Richard Jacques

A damn fine game score, and much better than his recent 007: Bloodstone. Headhunter features good themes, plenty of kickass action, yet has room to breathe. If anything, this showed in 2002 that Richard has massive potential, but he hasn't quite lived up to it yet. Hope the guy gets some more interesting work in the future where he can turn similar ideas from this score into something just as good. Plus it helps a lot when the blend of orchestra + synths works so well like it does here. cool

Check out a short suite I made once.

But upon buying the 2-CD set of Headhunter + Headhunter Redemption I've noticed one glaring fact: the tracks are cut off at the end of each cue. So most of the music ends abruptly. Very annoying! angry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.