• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DemonStar wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Avatar complete promo - James Horner

My first real listen of the complete score, after having watched the film a couple of times already. It still works better inside the film than outside, because there's too much uninteresting going on, especially the first hour. But at least it builds to something better and memorable from that point on.

While I like some of the melodic and creative ideas, I've heard him do so much better in the past, and I really hope he will write something more consistently fantastic for the sequels. Because what I really miss in this score is consistency and a grander sound.

I mainly just listen to the third disc (with all the final battle cues), that's more or less the bulk of all the unreleased material. smile The unreleased "War" cues are all quite cool!

The entire "War" suite -- all 20-25 minutes of it -- is worth the price of admission alone.
  2. Lust, Caution - Desplat

This might be the best score I've heard all year. I play it so much and it never gets old...
  3. The Painted Veil - Desplat

This would be a close second. "Cholera" and "The End of Love" are a double whammy of tragedy. sad
  4. Blade Runner Orchestral Adaptation - Vangelis

Performed by the world-renowned The New American Orchestra. punk

A more enjoyable version of Vangelis' original tunes. Love Theme and End Title sound actually very close to the real thing, yet very symphonic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010 edited
    It's funny. For years I've seen this CD on the shelves in shops but have never been tempted because it was played by an orchestra and because it was not the original performances.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Blade Runner Orchestral Adaptation - Vangelis

A more enjoyable version of Vangelis' original tunes. Love Theme and End Title sound actually very close to the real thing, yet very symphonic.

I used to have this on LP, at one time it was, for many years, the only version of BLADERUNNER available, it's very well done but not a patch on the original, IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Conan the Barbarian - Prometheus release

Just the first 10 tracks in my car earlier. What power! What energy! I'm stunned. It surpasses my expectations. And I haven't even come to the good part yet! punk

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Blade Runner Orchestral Adaptation - Vangelis

I used to have this on LP, at one time it was, for many years, the only version of BLADERUNNER available, it's very well done but not a patch on the original, IMO.

Well I haven't listened to the original score once in my life, apart from hearing it in the film I've bought on blu-ray.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Conan the Barbarian - Prometheus release

Just the first 10 tracks in my car earlier. What power! What energy! I'm stunned. It surpasses my expectations. And I haven't even come to the good part yet! punk

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

10 kudos points for appropriate use of the word 'GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 8MM - Mychael Danna

A very good, ethnically tinged score, very North African flavoured.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

Can you say this 10 times over without mumbling ?! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

I can't get enough of this one!

Afterwards, in honour of Irvin Kershner, I will spin The Empire Strikes Back

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAVEHEART - James Horner

Mel Gibson's fairytale come fantasy film gets a fantabulous score, love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    a Jerry Goldsmith compilation

I'm very fond of the music from "Under Fire". Reminded me a bit of MI-2 and the Zorro-ost-s, with the sweaty exotic sound, the flamenco touch, and the prominent use of guitar. Very beautiful.

Special greetings for Thor, this being my first online appearance since his visit to Ghent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Tamarind Seed - John Barry

Crappy-sounding bootleg, sadly. How there can be no official release of this (given how great it is) is beyond me. What a main theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Crappy-sounding bootleg, sadly. How there can be no official release of this (given how great it is) is beyond me. What a main theme.

Yeah, I have that, at least it's a listenable boot.

There's been talk for a number of years that this would get a release, I believe Silva were going to do it at one point? I'm sure this will get released eventually.
  7. Timmer wrote

Can't go wrong with a classic. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote

My number one Horner work, not a single moment in that score I don't love.

Timon wrote
    a Jerry Goldsmith compilation

I'm very fond of the music from "Under Fire". Reminded me a bit of MI-2 and the Zorro-ost-s, with the sweaty exotic sound, the flamenco touch, and the prominent use of guitar. Very beautiful.

Special greetings for Thor, this being my first online appearance since his visit to Ghent!

Hey Tim, would that be 'The Omen' 2 CD compilation by Silva? I have it too and it's a brilliant sampler of all great things Goldsmith. Even though some would say the performances are not too great, I don't have one problem with it. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    ALEXANDER DESPLAT - harry potter and the deathly hallows

Splendid. Its calmer, more melodic parts sound like an extension to his Twilight material which is always a good thing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Thing - Ennio Morricone

First listen. It is VERY good...and an absolutely grating stand-alone listen.
    Interesting: it's not often that I really cannot listen to a score yet am able to still discern its quality (and it really IS very good!)

The harrowing track Bestiality is going on my Horror playlist, but the rest of the score is off my iPod.
    It's too much work.

Switching to Sideways - Rolfe Kent
    Talk about polar opposites. smile
    Lovely, jazzy, extremely listenable and harmony-friendly score, and I think Kent's best.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Broken Arrow - Hans Zimmer

After Crimson Tide, another pure testosterone-filled Zimmer with hardly room to breathe, power, electric guitars and good melodies, and I love that incredibly potent mix. I prefer this sound over his 'droning' Batman Begins, Dark Knight scores or even Inception. Truthfully one of my Zimmer favourites from the 90s. cool
  9. Eric wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODD... AMNFRIK... KINAWES... OME

AW SHIT !!!!! sad crazy angry crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: The Thing - Ennio Morricone

First listen. It is VERY good...and an absolutely grating stand-alone listen.
    Interesting: it's not often that I really cannot listen to a score yet am able to still discern its quality (and it really IS very good!)

The harrowing track Bestiality is going on my Horror playlist, but the rest of the score is off my iPod.
    It's too much work.

Switching to Sideways - Rolfe Kent
    Talk about polar opposites. smile
    Lovely, jazzy, extremely listenable and harmony-friendly score, and I think Kent's best.

I can listen to THE THING anytime, love it from begining to end.

SIDEWAYS is a fine and highly enjoyable album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODDAMNFRIKKINAWESOME

GODD... AMNFRIK... KINAWES... OME

AW SHIT !!!!! sad crazy angry crazy

Fail face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hey Tim, would that be 'The Omen' 2 CD compilation by Silva? I have it too and it's a brilliant sampler of all great things Goldsmith. Even though some would say the performances are not too great, I don't have one problem with it. punk

It's the "focus scoort" cd from Silva.
  10. Southall wrote

It supposed to be "in the works" by an un-named label.

Heard an opera on the radio this morning (no singing, thankfully) by Bejamin Britten called "Peter Grimes".

Unbelivable -- Horner plagarises everything, doesn't he? That terrific ascending three/four note motif in a cue of "The Journey of Natty Gann" that has the soft woodwind (maybe a high key flute?) ... not only ripped off here, but he lifted the orchestrations, too!

The opera was kind of long, and in sections. It was disheartening to then here in the final section (as I recall) Goldsmith also lift from Britten. As I recall, it was a theme from "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier", more specifically one from the "A Busy Man" cue. Unlike Horner, he attempted to vary and appropriately alter the orchestrations.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. BRITTEN, Justin. BRITTEN.

If there's something Bitten it's either your keyboard or your spelling skills...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. Eat me.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. Timmer wrote
    Fail face-palm-mt

biggrin
  14. Timon wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

It's the "focus scoort" cd from Silva.

Ha but all the cues on the 'Focus Scoort CD' comes from that compilation. It's this one I'm talking about.