• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010
    It's his style; and he writes way better than everyone else; but to judge a film score completely, you have to watch the movie it accompanies, Jordi. For instance, GHOST WRITER might appear 'the same' with his older scores on surface, but it's nothing like them in reality. Have you heard TAMARA DREWE or THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    It's his style; and he writes way better than everyone else; but to judge a film score completely, you have to watch the movie it accompanies, Jordi. For instance, GHOST WRITER might appear 'the same' with his older scores on surface, but it's nothing like them in reality. Have you heard TAMARA DREWE or THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP?

He has a good style. I love some of his trademarks, like the fluttering flutes, from The Ghost Writer, Tamara Drewe and especially, Deathly Hallows in the cue Lovegood (I knew that he was going to use it in that one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    If I had to pick a favorite Horner score from 2003, I'd go with House of Sand and Fog. Great string writing.

I found it outstanding in the film, but can't enjoy it on CD at all.
  2. NP: Father and Son - A couple of robots (TRON: Legacy)

Nice rendition of the main theme with piano and french horn solos and violins.
  3. To me House of Sand and Fog is one of the most underrated Horner works, but where I differ with Kevin here is that I think that the final pieces actually are too intense for the final part of the movie. The director concurs actually, but blames it on himself.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010 edited
    NP : THE PROMISE - Klaus Badelt

Enjoyable enough though overlong to the point of outstaying it's welcome.

There's a good 30-40 minute album here.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    To me House of Sand and Fog is one of the most underrated Horner works, but where I differ with Kevin here is that I think that the final pieces actually are too intense for the final part of the movie. The director concurs actually, but blames it on himself.

I haven't heard the director's commentary, but either he or Horner were clearly going for some semi-operatic finale with the music. I thought it was cool...
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: X-Men: The Last Stand (Powell)

Love it. I keep harping about Powell's Bourne scores, but this score is just wonderful. It's overblown and rowdy, but it's just so infectious. I wish the film version of "Bathroom Tiles" was on the CD, but still -- this is one of the most entertaining scores of 2006. It's probably my favorite Powell score -- yes, I like it more than How to Train Your Dragon, which is ridiculously overrated.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - the tempest

Boy, this is weird! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd like to know what you think of the whole album?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. FINAL FANTASY XIII - MASASHI HAMAUZU

This has moments of outright symphonic brilliance, I shit you not. If you are willing to explore the vast 4-CD score release, there should be something of 1 - 2 hours of great music here, depending on your feelings whether sampled, looped tracks make for good listening. Sure there is cheesy music to be found here, but there is also a great amount of epic and rousing music here that are helped tremendously by the addition of a real orchestra and choir. This is the closest I've ever heard a Final Fantasy game score reach the beauty and stupefying symphonic awesomeness of Nobuo Uematsu's FF VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec.

I've made a 2-disc set of this and I love it, cheese and everything! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    yes, I like it more than How to Train Your Dragon, which is ridiculously overrated.

Which is all fine and dandy but calling How To Train Your Dragon overrated is ridiculous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I also have on tap a cue from the STARCRAFT II video game featuring music from four separate composers. The open track is a epic symphonic feast!

-Erik-

That's right! And spot the shameless Transformers rip-off cue, but I like it anyway. You'll hear it within 5 seconds!!! cheesy

I can't spot it because I can't stand the Transformers score therefore never listen to it. Where is the shameless rip-off?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Which is all fine and dandy but calling How To Train Your Dragon overrated is ridiculous!

Agreed. I loath the word "overrated". Seems so arrogant. "I don't personally care for this score but other people do, so they must be liking it more than it truly deserves". Argh!

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote
    yes, I like it more than How to Train Your Dragon, which is ridiculously overrated.

-Erik-

Agree. It's one of the best scores of the las 20 years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Expanded) - Jerry Goldsmith

First listen to the expanded edition. Really enjoying the newly discovered previously unreleased cues!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

-Erik-

I am not crazy about it either. It's good, but one of the greatest scores of the last 20 year is blowing it a bit wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Expanded) - Jerry Goldsmith

First listen to the expanded edition. Really enjoying the newly discovered previously unreleased cues!

-Erik-

Me too.

Now it's one of this BIG scores thanks to his larger lenght.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I'd like to know what you think of the whole album?

Well, it's very difficult and...odd, even for a lover of Goldenthal's music. But i must say it's extremely album-unfriendly. I can't judge it before i watch the movie first, to try and see what they wanted to do with this one 'cause i really can't understand it on Cd.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    See, I didn't need to see Final Fantasy or Sphere etc to love the albums I heard, the Tempest is sounding less and less something I would like with nearly every comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, yeah, that applies to me too.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

-Erik-

I am not crazy about it either. It's good, but one of the greatest scores of the last 20 year is blowing it a bit wink

'One of the best' is hard to quantify, but I would put How To Train Your Dragon in my personal 10 favorite scores since 2005.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ That's a way more logical and realistic statement smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    'One of the best' is hard to quantify, but I would put How To Train Your Dragon in my personal 10 favorite scores since 2005.

I'd go further and say the past 10-11 years! It's extraordinary!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If you don't particularly like a score which virtually everyone else loves, then of course you think it's overrated. That's the definition of the word! How to Train Your Dragon wouldn't get into my Top 10 of 2010 (which is not a year likely to go down as a high water mark in the history of film music), so I certainly think it's overrated when I read that others say it's one of the best scores in a decade.

Something I have learned in my fifteen years on the internet is that just because someone doesn't like something as much as you, doesn't mean that they are hurling a deep and personal insult in your direction. It just means they don't like it as much as you! I find it very curious how people react to this stuff. If someone told you guys "I don't like carrots" then I doubt that you'd say "YOU'RE WRONG!" so I don't understand why you think people are "wrong" to not like a film score as much as you.

I daresay little will change on internet forums in this regard over the next fifteen years, though!

So ends today's aside.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    If you don't particularly like a score which virtually everyone else loves, then of course you think it's overrated.

I have no issues with people thinking that a score, movie, or vegetable is overrated, underrated, etc. but if that's all you bring to the table then I'm going to challenge it! It's like blurting out "that score sucks." Well, ok, why? Now, if you can back it up with a few compelling arguments or thoughts as to WHY something is overrated or underrated then I'll leave you and your opinion be.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SHE - James Bernard

Excellent, I love this score with it's three distinct themes, quest, the theme for Ayisha and the Roman fanfares, a blend of exotic and ethereal. This film totally creeped me out as a kid, nowadays I can bask in the beauty of Ursula Andress lick

Anyone able to compare this with Max Steiner's score? ( which I've not heard )

Tom??
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Fan "Sacrifice" - Hans Zimmer

The curious precursor to the current Zimmer sound. The first 6minutes and 26 seconds (with the ethereal choir passage and gorgeous Cello solo) is great. Everything else is an interesting sonic experiment that I enjoy as well. I would love to hear an expanded version (il/legal or not) with the HGW and Jeff Rona contributions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Something I have learned in my fifteen years on the internet is that just because someone doesn't like something as much as you, doesn't mean that they are hurling a deep and personal insult in your direction. It just means they don't like it as much as you! I find it very curious how people react to this stuff. If someone told you guys "I don't like carrots" then I doubt that you'd say "YOU'RE WRONG!" so I don't understand why you think people are "wrong" to not like a film score as much as you.

I daresay little will change on internet forums in this regard over the next fifteen years, though!

So ends today's aside.

Couldn't agree more. I never understood why people get pissed and cry when someone mentions that a score they like is "overrated" in their opinion. Is just their opinion, it's not like it's a proven scientific objective fact!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    If you don't particularly like a score which virtually everyone else loves, then of course you think it's overrated.

I have no issues with people thinking that a score, movie, or vegetable is overrated, underrated, etc. but if that's all you bring to the table then I'm going to challenge it! It's like blurting out "that score sucks." Well, ok, why? Now, if you can back it up with a few compelling arguments or thoughts as to WHY something is overrated or underrated then I'll leave you and your opinion be.

-Erik-

Well, indeed; at the end of the day, it's the manner someone presents their arguments and how they back it up. You're right and i'm with you. But i don't think we should be negatively preoccupied against anyone who mentions "overrated" in their texts.