• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    NP: Your Highness - Steve Jablonsky. It's not bad, but the electronics sound very odd and out of place. Feel like I'm listening to the score from a kids' sci-fi film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think Lennertz got the sound of Medal of Honor down to a tee!!! Rising Sun was a little underwhelming, I agree with you there, but he more than made up for it with Pacific Assault and European Assault! IMO, he was the perfect choice to take over from Giacchino. And his other game scores have been superb as well... GUN, James Bond, etc. And I'm very pleased with what he has been doing with the family comedy fare he has been getting as of late. Unfortunately, Lennertz has yet to meet a J.J. Abrams or a Brad Bird to help him really get his career into full throttle but here's hoping one day he gets he true big break he deserves.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Monsigner - John Williams

A gorgeous album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Monsigner - John Williams

A gorgeous album!

-Erik-

....oooooh I'm tempted lick

In the meantime I'm...

NP : TRUE CONFESSIONS - Georges Delerue

Such a short album but sooooo gorgeous.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : First Blood - Jerry Goldsmith (Intrada)

This one doesn't need an introduction ...
    A classic and one of my favourites !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. Wind - Basil Poledouris

It has a well thought out merging of orchestra and electronics (even if the orchestra provides most of the highlights). The flow of the album is a bit off at times, but overall, it's a solid score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE BURBS - JERRY GOLDSMITH

There's no denying this must be one of the best comedy scores of all time. But Jerry having been the master he was, he didn't just do comedy for this film, there's a bit of everything in it.

Great fun in the film and on CD. Good to finally have a copy. beer

I agree whole heartily. From the western theme, to the Patton, and to the organ as well. One of the most enjoyable scores for me to listen. Definitely a circumstance where the score elevates the film to an incredible level.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    I agree. It's barely worth being alive if you don't own this set.

Having the official releases of MOH, MOH:U and MOH:F is more than enough for me. And Allied Assault I got on a separate CD when I bought the game.

I'm in the same boat, but am very tempted right now. Your fellows comments on European Assault make it very enticing.
  2. SPACECAMP - JOHN WILLIAMS

Another one I missed when Intrada released it, because I screwed up when ordering over at SAE, but this is an essential purchase for me and I've found a cheap(ish) copy, so all is well. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Wind - Basil Poledouris

It has a well thought out merging of orchestra and electronics (even if the orchestra provides most of the highlights). The flow of the album is a bit off at times, but overall, it's a solid score.

It's quite a dreamy score, I like it but I have to be in the right mood, I much prefer A Whale For The Killing, a great score that's way too short.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: 127 HOURS (A.R. Rahman)

Moody and nice. Perhaps not Oscar-worthy, but definitely a good score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011 edited
    Big bore and a huge turn-off in the movie. The songs worked far better.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Big bore and a huge turn-off in the movie. The songs worked far better.

¨
    I thought the rain sequence was awesome, as well as some of the more contemplative moments. Rahman shone there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I haven't seen the movie but the score has grown on me a lot since some time. "Touch Of The Sun" and"R.I.P" are two really wonderful (and in case of the latter, touching) cues, and the Liberation theme is exciting as well.
  3. The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan

Excellent main theme with its 12 part harmonic beginning and varied appearances throughout. The use of the 1980s electronics as comic relief/mickey mouse material is very very annoying, but the rest of the John Williams-styled underscore is strong enough that it counters the weak parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I love Safan's The Last Starfighter. An eighties gem!

Now just starting to go through the Medal Of Honor box set which arrived today along with Goldsmith's First Knight.
    One gripe though, the jewel case on part of the MOH set was shattered! All fixed now though.
    Let the fun begin!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Last Starfighter is an 80's staple... both film and score. It's Safan's best score (next to The Son of the Morning Star) and while the Star Wars influence is apparent he still managed to make the score his own and give the film its own distinct sound. Brilliant!

NP: Lair - John Debney and Kevin Kaska

Derivative with influences and rip offs from all over film music but it is still one of the most entertaining orchestral thrill rides I've been on in years! And Debney wrote arguably his greatest theme - The Civilization Theme - which he ruined by tacking on Horner's four-note danger motif at the end of it but made up for it with the brilliant "Epilogue" featuring Lisbeth Scott's over the top vocals! Superb recording and the sampled chorus is surprisingly effective!

-Erik-
  4. First Knight Jerry Goldsmith

Lush, romantic, rousing: just great!
  5. NP: Microcosmos - Bruno Coulais

First cue. Reminds me of Aisling Song but with more orchestra, synths and children choir.
  6. NP: Stay Tuned - Bruce Broughton

Sometimes I just don't understand why I buy some CDs!

All the hallmarks were there...Bruce Broughton in comedy mode, etc. And I still fell for it. I must have listened to the wrong audio clips - or there was some very creative selection of audio clips!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It doesn't look like it was a very fruitful week of cd buying Alan. biggrin
    Kazoo
  7. Bregt wrote

tongue
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Last Starfighter is an 80's staple... both film and score. It's Safan's best score (next to The Son of the Morning Star) and while the Star Wars influence is apparent he still managed to make the score his own and give the film its own distinct sound. Brilliant!

NP: Lair - John Debney and Kevin Kaska

Derivative with influences and rip offs from all over film music but it is still one of the most entertaining orchestral thrill rides I've been on in years! And Debney wrote arguably his greatest theme - The Civilization Theme - which he ruined by tacking on Horner's four-note danger motif at the end of it but made up for it with the brilliant "Epilogue" featuring Lisbeth Scott's over the top vocals! Superb recording and the sampled chorus is surprisingly effective!

-Erik-

Didn't think much of it when it came out, but seeing his course after that i'd say that i'd rather be getting lair's all the time from him instead smile Has some great cues and it's generally very pleasant a listening experience, although personally i can't listen to the entire album at once.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HANNA (The Chemical Brothers)

It's OK in that down-and-dirty trip hop style, not that dissimilar from The Dust Brothers' FIGHT CLUB, but some of that highpitched sound is a bit grating. Great grooves!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote

tongue

It's not as much fun to talk about the good stuff so I don't tend to mention that! Some enjoyable stuff would be:

"Claire Denis Film Scores 1996-2009" - Tindersticks / Dickon Hinchliffe / Stuart Staples
    The Runner - Cody Westheimer
    Fast Five - Brian Tyler
    Heroic Age - Naoki Sato
    Ravagers - Fred Karlin
    SOCOM 4 - Bear McCreary
    Camelot - Mychael & Jeff Danna

Fingers crossed for Dario Marianelli's Jane Eyre!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011 edited
    UNTOLD LEGENDS: DARK KINGDOM - LAURA KARPMAN

A two hour gamerip from a 2007 RPG holding powerhouse orchestral and choral music from a composer who has delivered one of the best game scores in recent memory, namely Everquest II. Bring it on please...

But this one sounds totally different from Everquest II which was very thematic as well as powerful. For Untold Legends Karpman has written largely non-thematic material but you have to hear how the orchestra and choir is used to create incredibly powerful soundscapes. Dark disonnance, percussive sections, choral power, while innovatively structured. The orchestrations are nothing short of brilliant. Normally music without any themes I quickly turn off, but here I was intruiged all the way through. Fans of mostly ambient but powerful orchestral / choral music should have a boner while listening to this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Thor - Patrick Doyle

It's Patrick Doyle in RC emulation mode. Extremely admirable and kinda attractive, though not as memorable as I wanted it to be, minus those snippets of thematic material... I hope Mr. Doyle will land more gigs after this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The guy has Rise of the Planet of the Apes and a Pixar film coming up... he's doing just fine!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    The guy has Rise of the Planet of the Apes and a Pixar film coming up... he's doing just fine!

-Erik-

Nice. Pixar film too? Which one?
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    While the Star Wars influence is apparent he still managed to make the score his own and give the film its own distinct sound.

Unlike Masters of the Universe wink