• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013
    What in the absolute fail.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Great news! I dig JXL's stuff (esp. in the electronica arena), and recent history has shown us that great scores may come from those imports.

Yeah, but on a movie set B.C.??

It would hardly be the first time.

I'm with Thor, give it a chance.

Exactly. Here's the possibility for something different and outside the 'mold'!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

Federico Jusid, a very talented composer who is totally outside the box, would have been different and outside the mold.

In today's Hollywood, an RC graduate is not different and outside the mold. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Federico Jusid, a very talented composer who is totally outside the box, would have been different and outside the mold.

In today's Hollywood, an RC graduate is not different and outside the mold. rolleyes

An RC graduate? I don't think JXL was ever associated with Remote Control? If so, that is news to me.

Regardless, he's been at the forefront of remixing and sampling for years and has a very versatile background in composition too -- from new wave to industrial to house. And he's apparently done tons of computer games (which was news to me before I googled him), so I'm excited about this. If it's anything like Paul Oakenfold's brilliant work on NOBLE SON, for example, it should be good. Time will tell.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. He's been collaborating with Hans at least since Modern Warfare 2. He's been doing remixes of his works and also he seemingly conducted the big drum session on Man of Steel.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. It's not just remixes...He's gotten into the additional music/ghostwriting game too. Madagascar 3 and G.I. Joe Retaliation...and, oddly enough, Kingdom of Heaven. That latter one is perhaps a glimmer of a silver lining...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He's been collaborating with Hans at least since Modern Warfare 2. He's been doing remixes of his works and also he seemingly conducted the big drum session on Man of Steel.

Still, I don't think he's had an official employment with RC at any point? In either case, it's really irrelevant in the scheme of things, since his whole style and 'identity' as a DJ/producer/composer/remixer come from somewhere else altogether.

I've been a fan of JXL since the days of the Elvis song, but I've started to slowly explore some of his other work as well -- like his collabs with Depeche Mode, Public Enemy, Rammstein and Scissor Sisters. I need to check out some of his computer games too, in anticipation of this.

MORE ELECTRONICA ARTISTS TO THE FILM SCORE SCENE!! ELECTRONICA 4-EVER! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. But not to a more traditional kind of storytelling. Electronica would fit a Michael Mann existential crime drama, but a prequel to 300?
  5. Thor wrote
    MORE ELECTRONICA ARTISTS TO THE FILM SCORE SCENE!! ELECTRONICA 4-EVER! smile

To quotte a line from one of my favorite comedians, Norm MacDonald, during his work on SNL on The Fake News, "If I ever decided to kill myself, this is what the last line in my note would say"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But not to a more traditional kind of storytelling. Electronica would fit a Michael Mann existential crime drama, but a prequel to 300?

Absolutely, why not?

It would depend on the style of the film, wouldn't it? The original 300 was very 'stylized' and could lend itself to many alternative ways of scoring. I could easily have pictured an electronica-type score working for that just as well as the Goldenthal-inspired score that Bates did.

At this point, we can only speculate. Let's see what happens when the film is here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if Mr XL is the "above-the-line" representative on the movie credits of the 20 or so composers who have ended up writing this score. Not surprised at all.
  6. Thor wrote
    Goldenthal-inspired

My, that's putting it softly. wink
  7. And the other exciting scoring assignment of the year has been shot down. Thansk to an FSM poster, I double checked the new poster to "The Fast and the Furious 6" and Lucas Vidal's name is indeed replaced with: Atticus Ross
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Just saw this on the FSM board:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/ful … cl_sm#cast

Jablonsky instead of Horner for Ender's Game ?!!??

Aaaahhhhrrrrrgghhh!

Now, if Jablonsky could come up with something like "The Island" ...

But I had such high hopes for that score by James Horner!

slant

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
    Yeah, I had wanted another Horner sci fi too. Disappointing news.

That being said, Jablonsky can often come up with some great stuff. Love THE ISLAND, TRANSFORMERS and PAIN & GAIN.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013 edited
    That's like being promised Anne Hathaway but getting Ann Widdicombe instead. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Thor wrote

That being said, Jablonsky can often come up with some great stuff. Love THE ISLAND, TRANSFORMERS and PAIN & GAIN.

He very seldom comes up with great stuff! The TRANSFORMERS scores are flat and boring, I want nothing the like anywhere near Ender's Game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

He very seldom comes up with great stuff! The TRANSFORMERS scores are flat and boring, I want nothing the like anywhere near Ender's Game.

Seriously? "Flat and boring"? IMO, it's anything but. What a rousing main theme!
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Seriously? "Flat and boring"? IMO, it's anything but. What a rousing main theme!

All I heard were overused Hans-Zimmer-clichés. That may be just me, I can't stand that stuff any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    And the other exciting scoring assignment of the year has been shot down. Thansk to an FSM poster, I double checked the new poster to "The Fast and the Furious 6" and Lucas Vidal's name is indeed replaced with: Atticus Ross

That's odd because Lucas was at the FF6 premiere.
    https://twitter.com/LucasVidalmusic/sta … 60/photo/1

Would he still go if his score was rejected?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    And the other exciting scoring assignment of the year has been shot down. Thansk to an FSM poster, I double checked the new poster to "The Fast and the Furious 6" and Lucas Vidal's name is indeed replaced with: Atticus Ross

That's odd because Lucas was at the FF6 premiere.
    https://twitter.com/LucasVidalmusic/sta … 60/photo/1

Would he still go if his score was rejected?

-Erik-

And Alex North went to "2001: A Space Odyssey" not knowing his score was gone.

Anyway, we'll see. I'm betting this is still a mess. Maybe it was replaced. Maybe it was re-instated (not the first time that's happened). Maybe the film poster is a fraud. Maybe it's being rescored for U.S. release -- all kinds of maybe's at this point. The film doesn't open in the U.S. until May 24th; only the United Kingdom had it early.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Now, if Jablonsky could come up with something like "The Island" ...

...it would still be worse than Horner's worst ever score.

I never really expected Horner to score this (he was never actually signed to do it as far as I know, but did have discussions - I don't know whether he turned them down or did some demos and they didn't like them, or what).
  12. There is a tiny glimmer of hope that I will continue to cling to until I hear the score for the first time, and that glimmer is called Steamboy. Unfortunately, I fear that particular Jablonsky is dead and gone.
  13. Right now Jablonsky and "Ender's Game" seems to come from IMDb listing him as composer, but as we know, IMDb is user contributed, so anybody can add that (though sometimes some pages are edited by the composer's themselves or the agency they are with).

Two days ago the film had James Horner listed.
  14. It's something I've heard of some time ago but was asked not to share. While Jablonsky's name wasn't the one I was presented with, what happened was that the whole post-production crew was replaced at a short notice and that included the composer. All I heard at the time was that RCP *is* taking over with rumors being that maybe Zimmer himself is working on it, but nothing was nowhere confirmed.
  15. FilmMusicReporter.com is reporting that Summit Entertainment has confirmed Jablonsky is scoring now.
  16. PawelStroinski wrote
    It's something I've heard of some time ago but was asked not to share. While Jablonsky's name wasn't the one I was presented with, what happened was that the whole post-production crew was replaced at a short notice and that included the composer. All I heard at the time was that RCP *is* taking over with rumors being that maybe Zimmer himself is working on it, but nothing was nowhere confirmed.

That seems to be troublesome news. My guess is that the film is now getting trimmed as an action flick with all other aspects - that would have been adequately addressed by James Horner - going out of the window.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013
    sleep
  17. "Torment: Tides of Numenera" (video game)
    "16 Months"
    Mark Morgan
    Sources:
    1st: News on Morgan's website.
    2nd: Announcement of the [still in production] film's production website.