• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are you all serious?

About what?

D either means Slumdog or Krull I'm guessing!?

He means KRULL (believe it or not!)
    He's not a fan of this score if I remember correctly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are you all serious?

About what?

Is he serious!?
  1. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "Chain Reaction" 2CD (Jerry Goldsmith)

An uneven, borderline serious mickey mousing score with light rips of themes from his other works. All in all a boring score that offers nothing. CD1 just stopped, so I made it half way, but I should have shut it off earlier.

I'm the biggest Goldsmith nut of all but even I would award someone a medal for listening to a 2CD version of this. Why not just listen to the commercial album? Infinitely better.

Because the same tracks that FAILED on this version, are on the commercial set. Why pay for something you already know you dislike?

"Meet the Robinsons" has failed too. Elfman is just going all over the place and doesnt' seem to have a steady ground to put his composing feet on. In fact, if he didn't have his trade mark Elfman-ismss to fall back upon in this score (including a lift from "Edward Scissorhands"), it would be a gigantic mess.

Next up is "Eraser" 2CD (Alan Silvestri). This had better be good after this stuff.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Doesn't it strike you that listening to 30 minutes of decent music surrounded by 90 minutes of crap is going to be a less fulfilling experience than just listening to the 30 minutes of decent music which have already been generously selected for you on the commercial album?

A 2CD version of Eraser... Jesus Christ. I thought I read that Obama was going to ban the use of torture by Americans as soon as he took office, so I imagine some law enforcement agency will be round soon to destroy any copy of the 2CD version of Eraser.
  2. Yes, this score is along the lines of James Newton Howard's "The Package": big and bland, with short bursts of interest, but overall nothing to WANT. So, like "The Package" I am going threw it, picking the best moment from each cue, and will later assemble them best I can into some kind of suite.

Doesn't it strike you that listening to 30 minutes of decent music surrounded by 90 minutes of crap is going to be a less fulfilling experience than just listening to the 30 minutes of decent music which have already been generously selected for you on the commercial album?

No, because like I said: they are already on the boot, and the boot had nothing worth listening to.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. NP: The Boy in Striped Pyjamas (Horner)

A pretty solid score from Horner - definitely the pick of this year's bunch for me. What a shame it does use a prominent former theme of his, even if it is a movie I haven't seen and a score I haven't heard. I wish I could put that sort of thing out of mind, but it does detract from every score where it happens, for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. NP: The Chumbscrubber (Horner)

It's been too long since I listened to this one. I really do like it. As an experiment in being different, it's one of the strongest things James Horner's done, at least IMO.
  5. NP: The Missing (Horner)

To me, a very satisfying epic score. I remember everyone was very caught up with the similarities to Legends of the Fall at the time, but I think there's more than enough to make this a distinct and successful piece on its own. The main fanfaric theme is one of my favourite modern Horner themes. (I'm deadly afraid like the Brad Pitt theme from Troy I'll hear it pop up in a Shosakovitch score one of these days.) Given the way House of Sand and Fog is overscored in the climactic cue 'The Shooting / A Payment for our sins' (undoing much subtle work in the earlier scenes of the film), I'd have given the Oscar nomination to this score over that one in 2002.

Just to reinforce - note how the above opinions have 'IMO', 'To me...' or '...for me' attached. I'm feeling very apologetic tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009 edited
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Phantom Menace John Williams

This is the complete unedited version. Puts the so-called "ultimate" edition to utter shame.

You finally got hold of this version Steven!

There's a few previously unheard cues that's good to finally hear here!

Granted, I have to edit it from various other bootlegs and albums (even the 'superlative' has some bad editing which I neglected to mention shame ), but it makes for one helluva listen! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote

Just to reinforce - note how the above opinions have 'IMO', 'To me...' or '...for me' attached. I'm feeling very apologetic tonight.

biggrin

Very refreshing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mercenaries II (Chris Tilton)

I like this one. It's interesting to hear a style of composition I so associate with Giacchino in someone else. (Though obviously there's a Giacchino connection to this score.)

I was listening to "Jungle Brawl" earlier this evening and I'd forgotten just how good the percussion is on this track. And the appearance of the guitar was so unexpected the first time I heard this cue!

Jungle Brawl is one of the greatest cues of last year, and one of the best percussion based cues I´ve ever heard (improved by the use of electric and acoustic guitar)..
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Today I've played Shadows Of The Empire and Soldier.

NP Iron Will

It's McNeely mania for me today! dizzy
  6. James Newton Howard - Defiance

Few tracks are left out, but it's still a great score. WHAT A THEME...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Eraser - Alan Silvestri

Awesome... Judge Dredd theme and all. wink I absolutely love "She's In." Silvestri is excellent when it comes down to these types of suspense cues. It really works its magic in the movie. Silvestri also wrote one of the best action cues of his career "Kruger Escapes." A 4 and a half minute juggernaut! Solid action scoring from a man who is very comfortable in this genre!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Hancock - John Powell

The last 2 tracks are awesome!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Hancock - John Powell

The last 2 tracks are awesome!!

Indeed... as is the rest of the score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yep! But I like the last two the best biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A French Horn Tribute To John Williams - Marc Papeghin

This bloke is bloody amazing.
    He basically makes his French Horn sit up, do summersaults and jump through flaming hoops in some of the finest arrangements I've heard of Williams' best-loved pieces.
    Unless you really dislike brass (so that's you out of the equation, D... more's the loss for you!) this work (freely (!) available for download is an extremely worthwhile listen, if only to listen to some proper artsmanship.

If I'm running out of superlatives it's for lack of breath, not for lack of want.
    I just can't think of enough nice things to say about this wonderful material.

There's four parts up now oif each around 9-10 minutes in length, so we're pretty much up to proper CD length.

These are going to go on my MP3 player, and they ain't coming off.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    A French Horn Tribute To John Williams - Marc Papeghin

This bloke is bloody amazing.
    He basically makes his French Horn sit up, do summersaults and jump through flaming hoops in some of the finest arrangements I've heard of Williams' best-loved pieces.
    Unless you really dislike brass (so that's you out of the equation, D... more's the loss for you!) this work (freely (!) available for download is an extremely worthwhile listen, if only to listen to some proper artsmanship.

If I'm running out of superlatives it's for lack of breath, not for lack of want.
    I just can't think of enough nice things to say about this wonderful material.

There's four parts up now oif each around 9-10 minutes in length, so we're pretty much up to proper CD length.

These are going to go on my MP3 player, and they ain't coming off.

Pretty amazing stuff.

'Anything goes'! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are you all serious?

About what?

Is he serious!?

He also includes BRAINSTORM.

I recommend D have his brain operated on by Edward Kitchenutensilhands. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I must try this SLUMDOG score. (And see the film!)

Saw the movie over the weekend and the score gave me a three day migraine. With the exception of the love theme, which is rather generic, the techno middle eastern music was mixed far too loud, distracted from what was going on in the film and didn't support the visuals whatsoever. The techno action music is, especially during one of the most BRUTALLY violent moments in the film was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Awful music, awful film score. You know had a more emotional impact? Tthe pre-existing "Who Wants To Be Millionaire" suspense music with heart beat. The playing of that music against the last scenes of the film works a million times better than the original "score."

-Erik-

Wrong and awful is that i'd use as well to characterize this junk. Erik; my man. I mean techno meats middle east meats Indian Music. My God what a nightmare and like that combi wasn't enough on itself, it's even DONE bad!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are you all serious?

About what?

Is he serious!?

No, i meant Slumdong .
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Wrong and awful is that i'd use as well to characterize this junk. Erik; my man. I mean techno meats middle east meats Indian Music. My God what a nightmare and like that combi wasn't enough on itself, it's even DONE bad!

Nope.
    It's done pretty infectiously.

I just wanna DANCE! Look out! Here comes BHANGRA MANNNNnnn! dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not sure I want to date you anymore... I'll, um, call you?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are you all serious?

About what?

Is he serious!?

No, i meant Slumdong .

Yeah but I know how you feel about Krull and Brainstorm so the brain surgary still stands tongue

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Nope.
    It's done pretty infectiously.

I just wanna DANCE! Look out! Here comes BHANGRA MANNNNnnn! dizzy

The Slumdog score sounds like something I MUST listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've just realised that Tim's the opposite of Tom. And they have the right names for it. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I've just realised that Tim's the opposite of Tom. And they have the right names for it. biggrin

Whatchew talkin' about Steven uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think young master Steven may be referring to an overdose of quote tags...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Krull - James Horner

I just know I won't get through all 95 minutes of it (must try to find a decent 60-minute playlist) but this is seriously good.

Well, here's the tracklisting from the original Southern Cross Album.

1. Riding the Fire Mares (5:24)
    2. Slayer's Attack (9:22)
    3. Widow's Web (6:20)
    4. Colwyn and Lyssa (Love Theme) (2:36)
    5. Battle on the Parapets (2:32)
    6. The Widow's Lullaby (5:10)
    7. Destruction of the Black Fortress (8:40)
    8. Epilogue and End Credits (4:48)

And here is the tracklisting for the expanded 1992/1994 SCSE Albums.

1. Krull Main Title and Colwyn's Arrival (7:34)
    2. Slayer's Attack (9:17)
    3. Quest for the Glaive (7:22)
    4. The Seer's Vision (2:17)
    5. The Battle in the Swamp (2:40)
    6. Quicksand (3:37)
    7. Leaving the Swamp (1:59)
    8. The Widow's Web (6:17)
    9. Colwyn and Lyssa (Love Theme) (2:34)
    10. The Widow's Lullaby (5:01)
    11. Ynyr's Death (1:39)
    12. Riding the Fire Mares (5:21)
    13. Battle on the Parapets (2:52)
    14. Inside the Black Fortress (6:14)
    15. Death of the Beast/Destruction of the Black Fortress (8:33)
    16. Epilogue and End Credits (4:52)

Those might work for ya.

-Erik-